My screen is definitely brighter at the bezel end of the phone. I want to figure out if this is just me or all Z30 so I figured out a simple test. Please Include myver so as to help pinpoint if this may be software related.

Doesn't matter what your backlight is set to however it seems more pronounced with a high backlight setting. Do this an an area with low lighting or at night for easy to decipher results.

Download this straight black image http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...ctualblack.png and open it in the file browser. Then rotate your device to landscape mode.

You should see the complete black bar in the middle. Now the 2 other grayish looking bars on the side are what I am interested in. See if one side looks brighter than the other then flip the phone 180 degrees left or right and see if that side still looks brighter than the other. For me the bezel side definitely is brighter and it's even noticeable in dark scenes of movies.

I tried watching one of the 99c movies I bought and found it rather distracting and annoying seeing one side brighter.

Let me know if anyone else has this same problem as me. I want to figure out if this is an isolated issue or otherwise.

Edit: After flicking around with movies and with different images I think there may be some software tweaking of the OLED display. When i rotate within a movie I see a quick flicker to a darker image for about a half second during the rotate. It seems like BB may have done something to change the way the screen displays to include more detail/light. Why it appears on the bottom of the screen I am unsure. If more people would check this is would really help.

Also I have noticed faint text in the form of "RGB" appearing occasionally in the blacked out space (full black space or the 'off' OLED pixels.) Seems like something is definitely going on software side.

Edit: I noticed Thurask image was not completely black. It was pretty close but I saw some odd text/colours showing up when I turned my PC display brightness up. New all black image has been linked.

~ Mooge
    Last edited by Mugenski; 12-03-13 at 01:00 PM.
    11-24-13 10:29 AM
    Fixed up thread title for you.

I'll try to remember to test this out a little later.
    Mugenski likes this.
    11-24-13 11:00 AM
    Huh, interesting... the area closer to the bezel is brighter on my Z30 as well.

Posted via CB10
    Mugenski likes this.
    11-24-13 01:23 PM
    They appear to be the same on mine, at least I could not detect a difference

Posted via my Z30
    Mugenski likes this.
    11-24-13 04:29 PM
    Went to telus today and after getting out of the demo I was able to download the link I posted and try it on their demo phone. Looked much better than it did on my phone sitting side by side. Definitely something up.

They don't want to do an exchange but instead want to send it out. Will send it out with them tomorrow if I can't talk them into exchanging it.

Anyone else feel free to chime in.
    11-24-13 05:15 PM
    Mine does the same thing, appears a lighter gray on the bottom.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-13 05:56 PM
    Lets see if we can get a few more people trying this out.
    12-03-13 12:48 PM
    My gf just got a Z30 today so I will give this a try when I get a chance to see it.

That said, you should really find a better sample image. On my (obscenely) bright monitor here on my desktop I can see that the image is not a simple black image. It has a watermark and it's a horrible picture.

I've done a levels adjustment on it and re-uploaded it here.

Test screen uniformity if you don't mind-notblack.jpg

That said, I have created a straight black image that you will be better off with here:

Test screen uniformity if you don't mind-actualblack.png

Hopefully that doesn't get compressed badly. To download it, be sure to CLICK on it and get the full size first.
    PeterC4 and Mugenski like this.
    12-03-13 12:56 PM
    My gf just got a Z30 today so I will give this a try when I get a chance to see it.

That said, you should really find a better sample image. On my (obscenely) bright monitor here on my desktop I can see that the image is not a simple black image. It has a watermark and it's a horrible picture.

I've done a levels adjustment on it and re-uploaded it here.

Hopefully that doesn't get compressed badly. To download it, be sure to CLICK on it and get the full size first.
    You beat me too it, just replaced the image and scrolled down to find the one you made.

Seeing as yours is .png and smaller than the .jpg i linked I will change to the one you provided.

Thanks
    12-03-13 12:59 PM
    Tried the new image as well and could not detect a difference

Posted via my Z30
    12-03-13 04:54 PM
    I tried the new image and am still seeing the lighter side nearest to the top (earpiece) of my Z30.. Buddy if mine who got his z30 at the same Telus store at the same time as me has no lighter side while testing this image.

Posted via my Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1055
    12-03-13 05:08 PM
    The interesting thing is it doesn't seem to have a light to dark fade effect though. The bottom is the same lighter colour while the top is a solid darker colour.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:02 PM
    I notice the almost fade like effect however it's slightly splotchy in parts on my screen so I don't think it's an intended effect but instead a poor manufactuing job of OLED screens. Some googling has brought up similar splotchy issues with other OLED using devices like the PS vita.
    12-04-13 05:18 AM
    I tested it (admittedly in a rush) last night and found nothing wrong with a brand new white Z30.

That said, I've just ordered my own black Z30 and when it comes in a few days I will (again) post back here with my findings.
    Mugenski likes this.
    12-04-13 12:10 PM
    I tested it (admittedly in a rush) last night and found nothing wrong with a brand new white Z30.

That said, I've just ordered my own black Z30 and when it comes in a few days I will (again) post back here with my findings.
    Just remember to view it horizontally. Otherwise the screen will be completely black (ie off with OLED) and it will look fine.
    12-04-13 03:09 PM
    I tested it and it's all black 100% in both cb app and browser. I also saved the png file and tried it in pictures. Same 100% black . I'm running 10.2.1 on a Verizon model

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 08:40 AM
    I also tried messing with the brightness tab. It looks to be perfect

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 08:41 AM
    Even when viewing horizontally? Makes me wonder if somethings changed in 10.2.1. Ive noticed odd happenings with video playback when flipping back and forth. Makes me wonder if there is software modification of the image for use on OLED screens. Image is darker for a half second when you flip/rotate the device then it lightens up again. First noticed it in Skyfall.

Will have to play with it when I finally get on 10.2.1
    Last edited by Mugenski; 12-05-13 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    12-05-13 02:45 PM
    Definitely noticing the same problem. I'm running 10.2.1 and I see the portion closer to the bottom bezel is lighter than the top. I can notice it in many apps now too.

So do we think it's a software thing or hardware issue?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 02:22 PM
    I think it's primarily a hardware issue. When I flip the device the lighter portion of the screen flips with it. There is definitely some software tweaking of the screen in video playback maybe for better visibility in dark scenes. However I think one side of the screen being lighter is definitely a hardware issue.
    12-06-13 02:35 PM
    Ya I'm afraid you may be right. I'm gonna hit up a Telus and check out their demo model and see if I can notice a difference.

If I do...I'm going to do my best to have my unit sent in for a repair or swap. just not right to pay 600 bucks for a screen that doesn't display colors properly

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 02:37 PM
    Telus wouldn't swap for me. Said they could send it in, could take up to 2 weeks, no guarantee it would come back fixed and couldn't offer me an unlocked loaner. All in all pretty pissed. Let me know what happens!
    12-07-13 08:02 AM
    I went to another Telus store and checked out two more demo units using the black image in this thread. They both looked much more uniform than my unit. Really annoyed now and I just can't accept this screen as it is. Going to bring my phone In Monday and ask for it to be repaired or exchanged with a refurbished unit

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    12-07-13 05:11 PM
    I keep seeing posts similar to this pop up and I've been wondering if anyone has tried burning a white image into their screens for like 10 minutes and seeing if it evens things out. I've heard of it working on screen burn issues but I've never heard of anyone doing it to burn in a fresh OLED screen to see if it evens out brightness or fixes colour issues. Just a thought if anyone want to risk it and see if they notice a difference. I've seen an LG tv have a built in program for such issues but it burned for half an hour and it was a plasma anyway. Like I said just a thought. I haven't had any issues with my Q10 but then again it is a smaller screen and may have less chance of being different from one end to the other so I've never tried it. Hope you all figure something out if you got issues.
    12-07-13 05:26 PM
    I keep seeing posts similar to this pop up and I've been wondering if anyone has tried burning a white image into their screens for like 10 minutes and seeing if it evens things out. I've heard of it working on screen burn issues but I've never heard of anyone doing it to burn in a fresh OLED screen to see if it evens out brightness or fixes colour issues. Just a thought if anyone want to risk it and see if they notice a difference. I've seen an LG tv have a built in program for such issues but it burned for half an hour and it was a plasma anyway. Like I said just a thought. I haven't had any issues with my Q10 but then again it is a smaller screen and may have less chance of being different from one end to the other so I've never tried it. Hope you all figure something out if you got issues.
    Hey Eddy,

Great idea. I don't know if OLED suffers from any type of burn in or whether it will help fix anything but I'm willing to try opposed to sending in my phone and being without a smart phone for 2 weeks.

I'll edit this post with the results. Anyone else willing to try the first test I posted in this thread please do. I'd like to get some numbers on this issue.

Edit: Tried a while screen full brightness for a good 30 minutes. Not a change at all. If anything with brightness turned up this issue is more visible.
    Last edited by Mugenski; 12-08-13 at 09:02 AM.
    12-08-13 08:16 AM
44 12