10-25-13 06:42 PM
156 ... 4567
tools
    Damn, Dude...That IS fast!

Okay, I have a question for everybody in the USA/Canada: Is $600 considered a lot?

In South Africa, this phone will most likely go on sale, like the Z10 did, at R8,500 ($850 US).

The Galaxy S4 is still over R9,000...that is INSANE!

I'm contemplating ordering it abroad and having the damn thing shipped here...or maybe grab one on my trip to London next year.

I'm just curious as to how much these things cost in other places because I always see people complain about $600 for the Z30 but to me, that seems VERY cheap!
    $600 is on the high end of the scale, with the very highest being around $750-$800 for a smartphone. Android phones can be had starting at around $150-$200 for low end ones.

The problem with shipping it is the cheaper options (<$50) would take over a month, and the faster options (1-2 weeks) would bring the total price close to what you would pay anyways ($600 + tax + ~$100 shipping + unlocking). So best case, you save around $100 but have to wait over a month.
    10-21-13 06:35 PM
    $600 is on the high end of the scale, with the very highest being around $750-$800 for a smartphone. Android phones can be had starting at around $150-$200 for low end ones.

The problem with shipping it is the cheaper options (<$50) would take over a month, and the faster options (1-2 weeks) would bring the total price close to what you would pay anyways ($600 + tax + ~$100 shipping + unlocking). So best case, you save around $100 but have to wait over a month.
    LAAAAAAAAAME...As much as I love South Africa, screw this Sh**! UK (and terrible weather), here I come!
    10-21-13 06:52 PM
    The iPhone 5s 64GB is $919 in Canada. So if $750-$800 is considered highest, then what is the 5s 64GB, beyond-uber highest?
    10-21-13 07:18 PM
    The iPhone 5s 64GB is $919 in Canada. So if $750-$800 is considered highest, then what is the 5s 64GB, beyond-uber highest?
    DAYYYUMM, SON! That's expensive!

Well Online shopping | Buy Books, Toys, Cameras, Tools, Electronics & more | Kalahari.com has the iPhone 5s 64GB for $1600...BLACK! Not even the Gold one...
    10-21-13 07:21 PM
    Yes, unfortunately, it's all about market, local&import taxes, supply and demand. For example, for the price that my friend pays for a Honda Civic in Singapore, I could get a BMW here in Toronto.
    10-21-13 07:30 PM
    Yes, unfortunately, it's all about market, local&import taxes, supply and demand. For example, for the price that my friend pays for a Honda Civic in Singapore, I could get a BMW here in Toronto.
    Dude...don't even get me started on vehicles here! It is INSANE!
    10-21-13 07:41 PM
    Use quick unlock for the unlock service. Got mine in 3 hrs and only $20

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 07:46 PM
    Use quick unlock for the unlock service. Got mine in 3 hrs and only $20

Posted via CB10
    I used them too. 2hr $20. Now that's service!

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 08:17 PM
    No, that'd be rather my phone: Xperia Z Ultra, model C6833, the one with all LTE and worldwide freqs, over $900 unlocked..

Sent from my C6833 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-21-13 10:54 PM
    Still waiting on mine. Been three business days since I ordered it and just called and they said it still hasn't shipped with no ETA on when it will. They of course charged my VISA fast enough :-)

Oh well... patience... Hope it will be here before the weekend.
    10-22-13 09:27 AM
    From what one store told me since they aren't a corporate store, they'll make more money on a contract sale than an off-contract sale so they do it as a means to pressure you into signing something if you want it so bad. I don't know how well franchises do with Telus so maybe they need every buck they can but the thing is, they do the same as a corporate store. Which I guess than means the regular employee wants to maximize their commission too.

So, I guess just call it greed/sales... and stupidity since its not like Telus wont ship them more stock if they sell more off contract.
    I called a non corporate store for Telus and they tack on 60 more bucks to sell outright.... so 660....

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 09:41 AM
    I called a non corporate store for Telus and they tack on 60 more bucks to sell outright.... so 660....

Posted via CB10
    Any idea of how we can find out which ones (in Ottawa) are a corporate store? I would love to just go in, drop the cash on the table and walk out with no fuss. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to purchase something in this consumerist society...
    10-22-13 09:51 AM
    Any idea of how we can find out which ones (in Ottawa) are a corporate store?
    Their store locator isn't good at differentiating between corporate stores vs. resellers, but you should be able to somewhat figure out which is which going by the name. For instance, I typed in Ottawa, and I saw some stores on the list such as "Smart-Cell Communications," which is clearly not corporate because it doesn't sound anything like "TELUS Store - Ottawa Office Tower." The next thing to do (and maybe this is not worth $60 to you,) would be to perhaps call the narrowed down locations and ask them what type of a store they are.
    10-22-13 11:17 AM
    Still waiting on mine. Been three business days since I ordered it and just called and they said it still hasn't shipped with no ETA on when it will. They of course charged my VISA fast enough :-)

Oh well... patience... Hope it will be here before the weekend.
    Well, I guess I shouldn't trust anything Telus staff have to say. Even though the guy I talked to said it hadn't shipped yet, I just got it delivered!

There goes the afternoon... :-)
    10-22-13 11:58 AM
    Well, I guess I shouldn't trust anything Telus staff have to say. Even though the guy I talked to said it hadn't shipped yet, I just got it delivered!

There goes the afternoon... :-)
    Yay! Let us know what you think of it
    10-22-13 12:00 PM
    Yay! Let us know what you think of it
    I think all my observations so far have already been posted but I'll echo my findings...

My first, first impression was that I was surprised by the weight. Definitely heavier than the Z10 and my Nexus 4. Not that it is a bad thing, but just surprising. Guess its the battery??

My second first impression... fast. Seriously, the first start up went by way faster than the Z10. I didn't have a clock on it by seriously felt like 30 seconds. Everything so far just seems faster though some web browsing stumbled a bit. I haven't installed 10.2.0.1791 yet though so that may resolve that issue. (Did a count and it took 29 seconds on the circle part... not including the first part with the BlackBerry logo... so definitely faster than the Z10)

Other quick observations:

- I don't have a problem with the screen resolution as while not as good as the Z10, small text is still sharp enough for my eyes.

- I will say that the screen definitely isn't as bright as the Z10 and even my Nexus 4 is now brighter (whereas before the Z10 was much brighter than the Nexus). It's too cloudy in Ottawa today to test outdoor visibility in the sun. Hopefully it will be okay as that is a frustration for me with the Nexus 4 (I can't read it in bright sun but I always could with my Z10 with brightness at max).

- The screen also has a bit of a yellowish/beige cast to it. I guess that is the type of tech? Can't say I'm in love with it right off the bat as the whites just aren't that white. Maybe there will be third party apps that can tweak it like there are for the Nexus 4 which also has colour issues.

- The backdoor is hard to get off... Maybe I need to talk nice to it first :-). Seriously though, I'm sure it will be fine later but I'm being extra careful and I have trouble. Of course, having short nails doesn't help. Once you do get the first part off, it really just pops right off though.

- Since some people are saying theirs came unlocked, this one is definitely locked to Telus.

- Definitely louder than my Nexus 4. Had the same song playing on both and the Z10 drowns it out.

- There seems to be some touch responsiveness issues as sometimes it doesn't seem to pick up a swipe but the screen protector is still on so don't know if that is the cause.

- People in another thread are asking about the grey and whether or not it is metal or plastic. I can't say I can tell but personally it doesn't feel like metal. Though for sure I'm not going to try and scratch it to find out! :-)

Too bad I sold my Z10 last Friday otherwise it would be easier to compare it.

So quick summary with nothing set up:
    ++ faster than Z10
    ++ louder and clearer than Z10

- - Screen not as bright as Z10
    - - Colours not as accurate as Z10

+/- Resolution may not be as sharp but not an issue for me. Seriously, I have to put it really close to my eyes to notice anything. **
    +/- Heavier but again, you'll get used to it.

** Not to start an argument but this just proves the whole 'we need higher resolution' argument is, well, misrepresented. 720p is completely fine for a 5 inch device. If people have issues with the Z30 screen it isn't the fact that it is 720p but the type of tech they are using that makes the screen not as bright or the colours not as accurate. If BB would have used the same tech as the Z10 for the screen, it would probably be perfect... though I guess that is the trade off for better battery life.

Anyways... that's it so far. Again, don't think there is anything new to report. If I notice anything else, I'll post it.

Cheers.
    10-22-13 12:47 PM
    Colors and brightness, they are expected to suck, sorry - it's OLED (don't pay attention to ignorant people who loudmouth about OLED - it's always worse than the latest LCD tech when it comes to colors and brightness, the two most important factors.)

As for " 720p is completely fine for a 5 inch device. If people have issues with the Z30 screen it isn't the fact that it is 720p" - FYI nobody said such a thing, you're confused.
    The argument against using 720p is very simple: you get a lot more resolution thus can put a lot more on your screen and it is a lot more screen real estate to put it on when it comes to 5 inchers - simply put you can SEE and [/b]USE/UTILIZE[/b] more stuff in certain productivity scenarios (remote desktop, drawing app etc.) Anyone arguing that 720p is the same as 1080p is almost as clueless as OLED fans arguing for better color reproduction...
    10-22-13 03:52 PM
    Any idea of how we can find out which ones (in Ottawa) are a corporate store? I would love to just go in, drop the cash on the table and walk out with no fuss. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to purchase something in this consumerist society...
    All "TELUS" stores in major malls are corporate. Example, Carlingwood, Bayshore, Rideau. If you're unsure, best to call and simply ask. I picked one up from Carlingwood last week for $600.
    10-22-13 04:18 PM
    All "TELUS" stores in major malls are corporate. Example, Carlingwood, Bayshore, Rideau. If you're unsure, best to call and simply ask. I picked one up from Carlingwood last week for $600.
    Funny.. Carlingwood refused to sell it to me off contract. Pricks :-) Oh well, got mine in the mail today. 5 hours before I got my email from Telus saying they shipped it.
    10-22-13 04:23 PM
    Funny.. Carlingwood refused to sell it to me off contract. Pricks :-) Oh well, got mine in the mail today. 5 hours before I got my email from Telus saying they shipped it.
    Say what! They have some... interesting... reps in there to say the least. The manager is cool though. She's a BlackBerry fan!
    10-22-13 04:41 PM
    Say what! They have some... interesting... reps in there to say the least. The manager is cool though. She's a BlackBerry fan!
    Oh well... It all worked out in the end so no biggie. But for sure I would have bought in store if I could have. Especially after going through Z10 withdrawal since Friday :-)
    10-22-13 04:56 PM
    Oh well... It all worked out in the end so no biggie. But for sure I would have bought in store if I could have. Especially after going through Z10 withdrawal since Friday :-)
    Tried to buy WXMANCANADA's he has for sale in the For Sale area but he never responded . That being said, I was doing some running around yesterday and decided to stop in the Telus store at Kanata Centrum. Asked the guy at the counter if he would sell me a Z30 outright, and he is like sure, why not?

So, in my experience it depends on who you get at the stores - as I had asked at the same store only 2 days before. Anyway, I have it, it's unlocked and it's glorious.
    10-23-13 08:10 AM
    Tried to buy WXMANCANADA's he has for sale in the For Sale area but he never responded . That being said, I was doing some running around yesterday and decided to stop in the Telus store at Kanata Centrum. Asked the guy at the counter if he would sell me a Z30 outright, and he is like sure, why not?

So, in my experience it depends on who you get at the stores - as I had asked at the same store only 2 days before. Anyway, I have it, it's unlocked and it's glorious.
    Maybe it depends on who you get and how many they have in stock? Obviously priority goes to renewals and new contracts but if they have excess stock I'm sure they're sell off contract.
    10-23-13 11:18 AM

Sorry - my PMs/notifications fill up in an instant. I had originally sold mine to another user on here, but it got dropped in the shipping process. Bah.

As for TELUS stores, they usually favour selling outright to TELUS customers, but your results might vary. Example, Carlingwood will sell to anyone (usually).
    10-23-13 11:21 AM

Maybe it depends on who you get and how many they have in stock? Obviously priority goes to renewals and new contracts but if they have excess stock I'm sure they're sell off contract.
    Yeah... I never have much luck it seems with stuff like that. Still would have preferred to get it in store as it is easier to return if you have issues.
    10-23-13 04:07 PM
156 ... 4567