I upgraded my Z30 (STA-100-2, Vodafone UK) to 10.3.1.1565 on Thursday night. After I updated, according to the File Manager active frame I had 24% free space on my phone - nearly 4GB.

Today however, my phone started slowing down badly, so I checked File Manager to see what % space I had left (since my Z30 usually slows down when it has less that 10% space left.) And I got a rather nasty surprise...

System taking up 6+GB of device storage-img_20150221_160657.png

8% free?! Where'd all my space go?
    Then, this happened after 2 minutes;

System taking up 6+GB of device storage-img_20150221_160835.png

3% free. I thought this was some kind of glitch, being that the OS had just been updated, so I restarted the Z30, then deleted 800MB worth of photos and videos from my camera roll - which took it back to 8% free. At this point I checked Device Manager to see what was using up all my space in such a short period of time.

System taking up 6+GB of device storage-img_20150221_180808.png

6.43GB worth of space, sucked up by the OS. What the heck?
    I then found this with my Device/misc folder...

System taking up 6+GB of device storage-img_20150221_183119.png

10GB used by the misc folder. Is this a virus or something? Really freaked me out when it happened, the Z30 is stable at 8% for now though.
    semime likes this.
    02-21-15 12:35 PM
    Something is copying itself over and over. Try to reinstall the OS. Or check what's inside the misc folder that might seem odd.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 12:40 PM
    Doing that now, the Device/misc/android folder is 10GB, yet I've checked each folder in the /android directory and not one is over 1GB...might have to wipe/reinstall.
    02-21-15 01:25 PM
    CAREFUL

The misc folder holds "mirrors" of files and folders found in other folders of your phone in order to allow Android apps to find and use those files. They may appear as full copies but they are not. They are generally symbolic links but if you delete these "copies" you may in fact delete the real/original files/folders. Before tinkering in the misc folder you might want to back up any unique data (photos, docs, videos, etc) to the computer. That way if anything goes wrong, you will have backup copies.

How did you upgrade the OS? I think that I've read if done OTA (over the air), sometimes a copy of the downloaded OS still is retained. I'm not sure when or what housekeeping the device does to finally delete it.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-21-15 01:30 PM
    I too had the same problem, do soft reset help??

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 01:35 PM
    Everything is backed up to my computer so I'll be able to restore if anything does go wrong. I upgraded OTA through the settings menu. I'll try doing a hard reset and scan for updates, since it might make the device remember to delete the downloaded OS.
    02-21-15 01:45 PM
    Went to bed last night with 8% free - woke up today with the intention of reinstalling the OS.

However, overnight the Z30 had dropped down to 2% free. Android apps no longer open (the green loading bar reaches 75% and then the app crashes - I am on 10.3.1.1565 OTA update) meaning I am unable to message some people or use most apps I normally use.

I thought at first there was a glitch with the Android player, so I restarted the phone. When it rebooted, all my apps had been removed from their folders and scattered in a random order across 7 pages on the home screen. I would screenshot this, but the phone refuses to take a screenshot, so I can't.
    However I do get an error message when using the file manager, saying "Your app can't run because your built-in media storage is full."
    It comes up when I try and copy files to my Dropbox/Media card, meaning I can't actually free up space by moving files, it simply won't let me.
    I can't delete messages in the hub either - presumably for the same reason.

According to Device Monitor, System is taking up 7.79GB of the phone's on-board storage. Again I am unable to screenshot this. Sigh, looks like a security wipe (just in case) and then an OS reinstall.

Edit: Contacts from my SIM have been wiped as well. Reloading the OS now.

Worst of all, in the meantime I am having to use an iPhone!
    Last edited by JakieWolf; 02-23-15 at 12:17 PM.
    02-23-15 11:29 AM
    OS reload through BlackBerry link will solve all problems.
    Seems the update glitches. Such is life
    02-23-15 12:38 PM
    Having the same issue, were you able to resolve without a wipe?
    08-04-15 02:12 PM