I am currently using the KEYᵒⁿᵉ on the Big Red network. Since rumors are circulating that BB10 phones will no longer work in the new year, I thought I would use my Z30 until that day comes.

Are there any concerns I should be aware of? I have the SIM Card from my Z30 that I put into my PRIV which currently resides in my KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

Thoughts?
    12-25-18 02:44 AM
    Since rumors are circulating that BB10 phones will no longer work in the new year
    Next year dude. I doubt you want to use a Z30 for the next year.

Switching Back to Z30 For A Little-screen-shot-2018-12-25-6.34.27-am.png
    12-25-18 04:32 AM
    Next year dude. I doubt you want to use a Z30 for the next year.
    Ohhh. I thought it would only be for a week. I just really want the BB10 software. Has anyone found a way to port the BB10 onto a PRIV or KEYᵒⁿᵉ or KEY²?
    12-25-18 04:36 AM
    Ohhh. I thought it would only be for a week. I just really want the BB10 software. Has anyone found a way to port the BB10 onto a PRIV or KEYᵒⁿᵉ or KEY²?
    Never going to happen for a multitide of reasons. The incompatible hardware, the hard root of trust that won't allow other OS' being loaded etc etc.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-25-18 04:44 AM
    Never going to happen for a multitide of reasons. The incompatible hardware, the hard root of trust that won't allow other OS' being loaded etc etc.
    What about opening the devices and switching motherboards. I am sure there are a myriad of developers out there that have tried. I just haven't seen it.
    12-25-18 04:47 AM
    What about opening the devices and switching motherboards. I am sure there are a myriad of developers out there that have tried. I just haven't seen it.
    Not really sure what that would do, you'd just be running the guts of BB10 in an Android shell, to say nothing about how none of it would connect properly.
    12-25-18 04:50 AM
    Not really sure what that would do, you'd just be running the guts of BB10 in an Android shell, to say nothing about how none of it would connect properly.
    You're right. Just really enjoyed using the BBos for the first time in 3 years. Thanks for the responses this early on the morning of a holiday. Have a good one Bla1ze keep doin the work. Happy Holidays.
    12-25-18 04:54 AM
    You're right. Just really enjoyed using the BBos for the first time in 3 years. Thanks for the responses this early on the morning of a holiday. Have a good one Bla1ze keep doin the work. Happy Holidays.
    Happy Holidays to you and yours as well.
    12-25-18 04:56 AM
    Hey Zuka,

As a point of clarification, the only thing that is certain to shut down on 12/31/2019 (so the end of this current year ) is Blackberry World. It is possible that other Blackberry-provided services, like Blackberry ID, will not work as well, but worst-case your Blackberry 10 device will keep chugging along with any built-in, sideloaded or Android apps well into the next decade!

Keep rocking your Z30 as long as you want my friend!
    01-08-19 10:19 PM
    Hey Zuka,

As a point of clarification, the only thing that is certain to shut down on 12/31/2019 (so the end of this current year ) is Blackberry World. It is possible that other Blackberry-provided services, like Blackberry ID, will not work as well, but worst-case your Blackberry 10 device will keep chugging along with any built-in, sideloaded or Android apps well into the next decade!

Keep rocking your Z30 as long as you want my friend!
    BBM for BB10 was announced by year end, no?
    01-08-19 10:22 PM
    BBM for BB10 was announced by year end, no?
    Not according to any news I have seen. This is the only official statement from Blackberry Limited of which I am aware:

Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry

It only specifically mentions Blackberry World, Blackberry Travel (already shut down), and the Playbook's video calling service (also already shut down). There is no official indication that BBM for BB10 will stop working at any point.
    01-08-19 10:27 PM
    Not according to any news I have seen. This is the only official statement from Blackberry Limited of which I am aware:

Supporting BB10 and BBOS Customers and Rewarding Your Loyalty | Inside BlackBerry

It only specifically mentions Blackberry World, Blackberry Travel (already shut down), and the Playbook's video calling service (also already shut down). There is no official indication that BBM for BB10 will stop working at any point.
    I thought, per Verizon, that under the new 5G rollout most of these older CDMA, non VoLite phones will no longer be compatible or work on the Verizon network.
    01-09-19 04:10 AM
    I thought, per Verizon, that under the new 5G rollout most of these older CDMA, non VoLite phones will no longer be compatible or work on the Verizon network.
    Verizon has long indicated such things. However, even if that is the case, that would be a carrier-specific issue, which has long been something Blackberry users have had to deal with. In terms of line-wide items not dependent on carriers all we know is that Blackberry World will shut down on 12/31/2019.

Is it possible Verizon or any other carrier will not allow phones using older technology to work on their network? Sure it is. But that's a carrier problem, not a BB10 or BBOS problem.
    01-09-19 04:13 AM
    Verizon has long indicated such things. However, even if that is the case, that would be a carrier-specific issue, which has long been something Blackberry users have had to deal with. In terms of line-wide items not dependent on carriers all we know is that Blackberry World will shut down on 12/31/2019.

Is it possible Verizon or any other carrier will not allow phones using older technology to work on their network? Sure it is. But that's a carrier problem, not a BB10 or BBOS problem.
    That was my OP question about switching back.
    01-09-19 04:16 AM
    That was my OP question about switching back.
    Sorry about that Zuka--I can see how you might have been concerned about Verizon specifically re-reading your original post. To answer that question in more detail:

I don't believe that any device which is already activated on Verizon's network and supports 4G LTE speeds or better will cease to function based on what I know of their rollout. Their dates are independent of Blackberry's of course, but I seem to recall that their old CDMA-based network may be shutting down at the end of this year. However, all BB10 phones support LTE, so if they are currently active on Verizon's network there should be no trouble.

It's a little up in the air as to whether you can activate new devices that are LTE on their network, but I'd advise doing so sooner rather than later just in case.
    01-09-19 04:20 AM
    Sorry about that Zuka--I can see how you might have been concerned about Verizon specifically re-reading your original post. To answer that question in more detail:

I don't believe that any device which is already activated on Verizon's network and supports 4G LTE speeds or better will cease to function based on what I know of their rollout. Their dates are independent of Blackberry's of course, but I seem to recall that their old CDMA-based network may be shutting down at the end of this year. However, all BB10 phones support LTE, so if they are currently active on Verizon's network there should be no trouble.

It's a little up in the air as to whether you can activate new devices that are LTE on their network, but I'd advise doing so sooner rather than later just in case.
    By activate you refer to me telling Verizon I am using the Z30. Not just simply pulling my SiM card from my KEYᵒⁿᵉ and putting it into the Z30. Correct?
    01-09-19 05:47 AM
    By activate you refer to me telling Verizon I am using the Z30. Not just simply pulling my SiM card from my KEYᵒⁿᵉ and putting it into the Z30. Correct?
    Actually, quite the reverse. (However, the KEYone takes a nanoSIM while the Z30 takes a microSIM, so you couldn't just pull one.) I would advise you not tell Verizon a thing and pull an active compatible (by which I mean the same size) SIM card from a device on Verizon's network that is activated or has been activated (defined as allowed by Verizon to work on their network, either currently or in the past) and put it in whatever BB10 device you want to use.

The device should kick on and you should be able to use it with no trouble.
    01-10-19 09:10 PM
    Actually, quite the reverse. (However, the KEYone takes a nanoSIM while the Z30 takes a microSIM, so you couldn't just pull one.) I would advise you not tell Verizon a thing and pull an active compatible (by which I mean the same size) SIM card from a device on Verizon's network that is activated or has been activated (defined as allowed by Verizon to work on their network, either currently or in the past) and put it in whatever BB10 device you want to use.

The device should kick on and you should be able to use it with no trouble.
    Some people have advised me to buy a SIM card adapter.
    01-10-19 09:54 PM
    Some people have advised me to buy a SIM card adapter.
    Eh....if you have to you can try it, but I find those to be unreliable. I'd say if there's no other way you can get an active Verizon micro SIM give it a shot, but I'd exhaust other efforts first.
    01-10-19 09:57 PM
    Eh....if you have to you can try it, but I find those to be unreliable. I'd say if there's no other way you can get an active Verizon micro SIM give it a shot, but I'd exhaust other efforts first.
    Thank you! I'll continue you to trouble shoot this. Method and won't stop until I can use BB10 again. I might just get a line with ATT just to finally use the Passport, if all else fails.
    01-10-19 09:59 PM
    I think what I’m understanding is that you don’t have a current Verizon microsim but you’ve got your VZW KEYone nanosim.

The problems with both of your phones is that VZW is making it difficult to keep CDMA phones active down the road. If you use a decent SIM adapter, keeping your nanosim is probably the best way to keep compatibly for both devices on VZW network.

****** Do not put empty adapter in your Z30 when not in use. It can become stuck and damage the pins or contacts as I believe they’re called. That’s big part of the reliability issue that TrumpTiger refers to.
    01-11-19 07:05 AM