Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    OK, so it is really an OS 10 feature but I have had the Z30 a while now, and I still find new things to make the experience the best I have ever had. Like just now I discovered that by tapping on the album cover art when on the "now playing " page in the BlackBerry music player app, it gives you a virtual volume slider.

A tiny detail, but perfect for getting my levels just right.

Anyone else discovering little things like that on their Z30 or OS10 in general?

Posted via CB10
    LeeU1911 and Fidel Mercado like this.
    08-19-15 10:58 AM
    I agree that I keep discovering things that I kind of knew were there, but never used them. Here's one that I recently put to use.

The Pinch Filter allows you to filter out a type of message in the Hub of your choosing. To do this you actually "pinch" the Hub screen (touch the screen and drag your thumb and finger together). I believe the filter defaults to new messages which I find is worthless to me. Instead I changed it to Flagged Messages as follows:

1. Open the Hub
    2. Tap the three dot menu at bottom right corner
    3. Tap "Settings"
    4. Tap "Display & Actions" at the top
    5. The third drop down lets you choose what you will see when you "pinch" the screen. To me "Flagged Messages" is the most useful. Tap it.
    6. Back out to the Hub with the arrows at the bottom.

Why do I think Flagged Messages is the most useful? If you get an email that you want to quickly find (like an airline confirmation, discount offer or coupon or something super important that you need to reply to, but don't have the time right now) you can add a flag to the message by either pressing and holding the message and tap "Flag" or you can add the ability to add a flag when you close the message using Hub Instant Actions (see how to set that below). Then when you need that email again, just pinch the Hub screen and - poof - there is your flagged email(s). Don't forget to delete the email or remove the flag when it isn't needed anymore so you don't lose that instant access. I use this as my email to-do list that I access daily.

If one of your Hub Instant Actions isn't to add a flag (I think the default is "File" and "Delete") do the following:

1. Open the Hub
    3. Tap "Settings"
    5. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you will see the two drop-downs for the Hub Instant Actions.
    6. Change Email Action 1 to "Flag"; Leave Email Action 2 on "Delete" as that is incredibly useful too.
    7. Back out to the Hub with the arrows at the bottom.
    08-19-15 11:20 AM
    I agree that I keep discovering things that I kind of knew were there, but never used them. Here's one that I recently put to use.

The Pinch Filter allows you to filter out a type of message in the Hub of your choosing. To do this you actually "pinch" the Hub screen (touch the screen and drag your thumb and finger together). I believe the filter defaults to new messages which I find is worthless to me. Instead I changed it to Flagged Messages as follows:

1. Open the Hub
    3. Tap "Settings"
    5. The third drop down lets you choose what you will see when you "pinch" the screen. To me "Flagged Messages" is the most useful. Tap it.
    6. Back out to the Hub with the arrows at the bottom.

Why do I think Flagged Messages is the most useful? If you get an email that you want to quickly find (like an airline confirmation, discount offer or coupon or something super important that you need to reply to, but don't have the time right now) you can add a flag to the message by either pressing and holding the message and tap "Flag" or you can add the ability to add a flag when you close the message using Hub Instant Actions (see how to set that below). Then when you need that email again, just pinch the Hub screen and - poof - there is your flagged email(s). Don't forget to delete the email or remove the flag when it isn't needed anymore so you don't lose that instant access. I use this as my email to-do list that I access daily.

If one of your Hub Instant Actions isn't to add a flag (I think the default is "File" and "Delete") do the following:

1. Open the Hub
    3. Tap "Settings"
    5. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page and you will see the two drop-downs for the Hub Instant Actions.
    6. Change Email Action 1 to "Flag"; Leave Email Action 2 on "Delete" as that is incredibly useful too.
    7. Back out to the Hub with the arrows at the bottom.
    That's brilliant! I like my Z30 even more now.
    Anything else you'd like to share?
    08-19-15 03:01 PM
    Okay, here's kind of an obvious one, but still good:

As you know, the Z30 screen is pretty big (one of the reasons we like 'em, huh)? On my Z10 I was able to reach nearly all of the icons on my screen to tap them with my thumb - no so on the Z30. I moved nine of my most used icons to the 3 X 3 near the bottom corner. That way if I'm walking or I'm carrying something in my left hand, I can easily answer a BBM or text with an easy-to-reach tap.
    08-21-15 05:49 PM
    Oh, since I mentioned BBM, one of the best things about BBM is the Groups function. I know a lot of people don't use BBM, but if your other half does (and they should once you read this) you can make your own "private" BBM Group that allows you to chat, share stuff, create a To-Do list and (most importantly) share a private joint calendar. This little baby has saved my relationship hundreds of times.

The joint calendar is instantly updated on your other half's phone as soon as you put something in it. This way when you want to plan something next Saturday evening - first you look in your BBM Group calendar and see if that day is free. If it is, put your event in it and - BOOM - it's on their calendar too. No arguments about "hey, you didn't tell me about this party - I just bought tickets for a play". You get to say: "Didn't you check our calendar"? Very powerful.

I don't know how well this works on cross-platform BBM (i.e. if your other half has BBM on an iPhone) but I'm guessing it is the same.

To create a BBM Group:

1. Open BBM
    2. Tap the Groups icon on the bottom right
    3. Tap the "Create Group" icon at the top right (it's not named, but it's the only one there).
    4. Follow the prompts to name the group, add a group picture, etc. then invite your other half!

Important to know: When you are adding a new calendar event to your new BBM Group, unfortunately you cannot make this calendar your default calendar (you used to be able to do so on the old BBOS phones). You must use the drop-down boxes to change to the BBM Groups calendar. Otherwise the event goes to your personal "Local" calendar, and not the Group calendar. Since 99% of my calendar events go to my Group calendar, I wish I could make this the default, but alas, that isn't an option.
    Last edited by rickkel; 09-08-15 at 04:58 PM.
    bb8900edit likes this.
    08-21-15 06:20 PM

As you know, the Z30 screen is pretty big (one of the reasons we like 'em, huh)? On my Z10 I was able to reach nearly all of the icons on my screen to tap them with my thumb - no so on the Z30. I moved nine of my most used icons to the 3 X 3 near the bottom corner. That way if I'm walking or I'm carrying something in my left hand, I can easily answer a BBM or text with an easy-to-reach tap.
    Never thought of doing this. I didn't do the 3x3 method but I moved my top 8 icons (eventually the apps I use the most) from the top of my screen to the bottom. Much easier to access them one handed now.

Thanks for the tip!

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    08-21-15 07:21 PM
    How are u moving the icons to the bottom of the screen? My icons won't stay at the bottom. Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:12 PM
    How are u moving the icons to the bottom of the screen? My icons won't stay at the bottom. Am I missing something?

Posted via CB10
    Just press and hold an icon till they start to look like they're breathing and the trash can icon can be seen. Then you can move them around the screen or to the next page and arrange them where you would like.

Still Finding New Things To Love on Z30-img_20150822_073354.png

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    08-22-15 06:41 AM

To help a bit more, by using a third party app, you can make "invisible" icons to take up space allowing you to put your real app or folder icons pretty much where ever you want.
    Home Screen Plus is one app that has the "invisible" icon creator option among it's many features and is what I use.
    A more direct option app is Magic Icon:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/app-ann...screen-969616/
    08-22-15 07:22 AM