My first question in response is, do you know what RAM is and how it works? Next is, do you know why that extra GB of RAM is needed. RAM has nothing to do with the OS itself, that is why WP8 can run perfectly well and smooth on 512MB of RAM, however, that starts to slow down a bit once you have a bunch of apps open and you are trying to retrieve more information from the phone's memory. Not the OS itself but the ability to retrieve information. Now don't get me wrong, OS's have a RAM requirement just to be able to function, but that isn't why BB10 requires 2GB. That 2GB requirement of RAM is because of the HUB. It's always open always running and the information is always accessible. That isn't because of the CPU but because of the RAM, which RAM stands for Random Access Memory. That is the whole reason behind the Playbook not getting the BB10 upgrade. Without sufficient RAM the Playbook would be a slug. Look at it as the difference between surfing the web on 56k dial up and cable internet. That's probably the best way I can describe it. You're still functioning but the speed of download just isn't there. But once the page is downloaded you can scroll through it just fine. Now if you wanted to start talking about a single core processor vs a dual core or even a quad core processor, that is an entirely different conversation. That is all about how well inputs and running programs are processed. That is why, at least from what I've seen, the number one comparison between processors is always how well each one will run PhotoShop. It's a heavy program requiring a heavy duty processor.

Out of all honesty if I have gotten this wrong someone please correct me.
    people don't get that RAM is only used as temperary storage for data that needs to be processed, QNX uses uses a different type of kernel that stores info in the memory while it waits to get processed by the CPU.

the playbook wouldn't really be that sluggish it would just run out of RAM quickly and shut down apps not being used (which some will think is a crash) defeating the purpose of multitasking.

QNX is rather light weight but that doesn't mean the added app layers in BB10 are not data intrusive, take Adobe AIR for example, this is a very very hungry app it is slow and you can see this from BB10s settings app, its laggy and buggy and slow loading, BB10.2 reworks this app in cascades which the hub is built from, which is extremely quick.

again it is not the core of BB10 that gets heavy it is the overlaying apps that do and when BlackBerry builds around this you will see things getting much much faster
    07-22-13 04:26 PM
    i beg to differ that it will meet its end to a note2, you seriously think on a hardware and software level that the note2 is better then the Z10? think again pal, the Z10 benchmark scores in the same range as the note2 and its only running a 1.5 GHz dual core, rumored specs of the 1.7 dual on the A10 will beat the the Z10s therfore will beat the note2. if rumors are true and BB10.2 is supposed to benchmark in the 1k per core area on the Z10 then seriouslly, from a speed stand point the note2 will not touch the A10 or even the Z10 for that matter not to mention its still 720p resolution (go figure)

the note3 is something different but the note 2 is last years hardware built on a slower OS while QNX fully capable of pushing speed to another level then Android. i seriouslly only hope BlackBerry puts a Snapdragon 800 chip in the A10, just so peopel can truly see how advanced the performance aspect of the QNX core really is when comparing a S4 with the same chip to an A10 wit hthe same chip, there really won't be much to compare to and the S4 will get left in the dust. same thing would happen if iOS used a Snapdragon 800.
    Dude, the fact that the A10 will only do "as good as " Samsung's almost 2yr old phablet is a FAIL for Blackberry.

Look at it this way, Your Nissan Altima is way more efficient than my Infiniti Q50. But which has better specs?, which is Considered a Flagship vehicle?, and which one gets the girl?(ie. Customer) :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using CB forums app
    07-22-13 06:22 PM
    Dude, the fact that the A10 will only do "as good as " Samsung's almost 2yr old phablet is a FAIL for Blackberry.

Look at it this way, Your Nissan Altima is way more efficient than my Infiniti Q50. But which has better specs?, which is Considered a Flagship vehicle?, and which one gets the girl?(ie. Customer) :-)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using CB forums app
    lol who said the A10 will be as good as a year old samsung? ps the note 2 came out mid 2012 not 2011. i said the current Z10 posts the same numbers on less hardware, if the A10 came out now wit hthe rumored specs it would beat the note 2, not to say that it should only beat that, why not push to beat the latest, i was not defending the current specs but what i was defending is the platforms ability to do more on less.

with your car analogy its like comparing my Golf R to a V6 Hundai Genesis coupe. the genesis with more power and larger engine still puts down the same 0-60 and quarter mile times dispite the fact that it has higher specs. its not about specs and numbers its really about how those numbers are put to use, yeah numbers help but numbers can't make anything good when its being put through the ringer in a poorer way.

the way i see it is BlackBerry should compete head on proving what they can do on the same hardware, because those that pay attention forgot about the SGS3 which has the same chip and RAM as the Z10 and the Z10 from a speed standpoint is superior, liek i said i hope BlackBerry puts a Snapdragon 800 in the A10 to go head to head with the faster SGS4 that is beign released around the same time, just so they can say look consumers this is what we can do on the exact same hardware and why you should buy our stuff
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-22-13 06:51 PM
    lol who said the A10 will be as good as a year old samsung? ps the note 2 came out mid 2012 not 2011. i said the current Z10 posts the same numbers on less hardware, if the A10 came out now wit hthe rumored specs it would beat the note 2, not to say that it should only beat that, why not push to beat the latest, i was not defending the current specs but what i was defending is the platforms ability to do more on less.

with your car analogy its like comparing my Golf R to a V6 Hundai Genesis coupe. the genesis with more power and larger engine still puts down the same 0-60 and quarter mile times dispite the fact that it has higher specs. its not about specs and numbers its really about how those numbers are put to use, yeah numbers help but numbers can't make anything good when its being put through the ringer in a poorer way.

the way i see it is BlackBerry should compete head on proving what they can do on the same hardware, because those that pay attention forgot about the SGS3 which has the same chip and RAM as the Z10 and the Z10 from a speed standpoint is superior, liek i said i hope BlackBerry puts a Snapdragon 800 in the A10 to go head to head with the faster SGS4 that is beign released around the same time, just so they can say look consumers this is what we can do on the exact same hardware and why you should buy our stuff
    Nah, the Astro will be as good or possibly a bit better than the standard GS4
    07-22-13 07:29 PM

Love the car analogy. That was awesome mate.
    SDTRMG and GTiLeo like this.
    07-22-13 07:45 PM
    With all the rumors, why do people still think that the a10 is a high end device. A well known cost cutting trick is a non removable battery. That's the a10 rumor. It's also 720p and dual core.

If these turn out to be true, this is a mid tier or low end phablet.

And with the z10 now $1 with contract in the USA, what kind of deal will come with the a10?

Posted via CB10
    It does not really matter at this point about the specs if the company keep pricing the devices wrong:

"But what's really puzzling is that BlackBerry is pricing its devices at the same level as a high end iPhone 5 or a top end Android device. Why would anybody want to pay premium pricing for a questionable physical design (let's be honest...the Z10 isn't all that sexy) and mediocre hardware specifications? As I cautioned, Z10 sales turned out to be a massive flop, and it is as of yet unclear how well the Q10 will perform in the marketplace. With the same "premium pricing for mid-range hardware" mentality, the only hope for these phones is that it sells based on a unique form factor - but even then, the world may simply have a preference for iPhone-like designs (just not those from BlackBerry)." by Seeking Alpha
    07-22-13 08:18 PM
    If BB10 is so light and efficient compared to android, Why is it the only phone OS that requires 2 GB RAM to run acceptably?
    The underlying OS doesn't require 2 GB of RAM to run smoothly, it is the features that they want to add, such as using 8 apps at once. True multitasking needs a lot of RAM.

If you don't see how fluid and efficient the underlying OS is, then have a look at the Samsung S4. It seems to have the power of a train, yet the performance lags compared to the Dual-Core Z10. Even the Octa-Core Samsung S4 demo I saw had lag.

BlackBerry & Nintendo Alliance. Bring Pokmon to BlackBerry 10.
    07-22-13 11:30 PM
    To be fair, the Z10 lags a lot too when you multitask.

My PlayBook? Very useful in the shower as a radio and notepad
    07-23-13 06:12 AM
    Dual core doesn't mean mid-tier or low end. Don't caught up in that marketing gimmick. I sincerely would love to have someone why a cell phone would need that much processing power? Other than the fact that android requires it to run smoothly or else it would be the garbage that it used to be because it's uch a heavy OS. Look how smooth BB10 works and even more so WP8. Both are just as good, and in some cases better than android and they both only have dual cores in them. Also camera pixels means nothing, it's the sensor and lense that do. So back to my original point, don't let the "spec" marketing fool you, nor ever listen to a salesman.

Posted via CB10
    So would you be disappointed if the A10 came with a Snapdragon 800?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 10:30 AM
    It won't. Another 9 months to go for th quad cores version

My PlayBook? Very useful in the shower as a radio and notepad
    07-23-13 11:19 AM
    Your confused the latest video has no nfc back making thsi seem liek a dev unit.Have to wait this one out till its official version.
    07-24-13 08:19 AM
    Y

Posted via CB10
    That was an accident, don't know how to delete post.
    Last edited by bigjman; 07-24-13 at 10:40 PM.
    07-24-13 10:27 PM
    Your confused the latest video has no nfc back making thsi seem liek a dev unit.Have to wait this one out till its official version.
    When batteries are non-removable, they often feature the NFC antenna built into the battery itself.

That's quite possibly the case with the A10.
    07-26-13 12:31 AM
    So would you be disappointed if the A10 came with a Snapdragon 800?

Posted via CB10
    No because I have a Q10 and don't plan on getting an A10.

Posted via CB10
    07-26-13 11:59 PM
    Love the car analogy. That was awesome mate.
    thanks i thought so too but its kind of hard to tell if you're serious or not over text :P
    07-28-13 03:38 AM
40 12