Hi guys,

So I have my brand new unlocked Z30 that I'll be opening up and turning on for the first time this evening when I get home. Given some of the problems some people have had with 10.3 and the fact that this is my first smartphone ever (i.e. I have no idea what I'm doing), could someone provide some step-by-step instructions on how to best set up and update my phone? I don't yet have a SIM card yet (still assessing which carrier is best for me).

Pls 2 halp?
    03-03-15 12:07 PM
    If it was me. I wouldn't update to 10.3 until BlackBerry fixes a few issues. I have one here, and I'm not the only one, that won't wake up after the update. Phone works but screen stays black. Seems to be caused by letting the battery drain to dead after the update

Otherwise. When u turn it on for the first time it guides you through how to work it properly. Well the basics anyway

Other than that. Jump in, play and enjoy. Z30 is an amazing phone. USB port isn't just for charge and sync on a z30, you can plug in a keyboard, mouse, drives. It's anazing

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-03-15 12:24 PM
    What "EP" typed......

Leave it stock OS, and set it up per the walkthru, email, wifi, BB World etc....
    And then just use/play with it, that way you can see if there issues with it from a hardware aspect, run it like that until you feel completely happy with the device, and no issues.....

Then, if you like to gamble, you can try the update, (or a leak OS), and see what happens, that way you have a "baseline" of what worked before, and what might not work after the update.

Me? I'm just waiting and watching, leaving it right where it is for now until they get this update thingy cleared up...
    03-03-15 12:30 PM
    Put the phone on the charger first off. There is a short manual in the box worth at least a quick peek. Then fire up the phone and have fun.

The latest OS works fine for my Z30. Smooth operation without any of the problems people report. Put on as a leak weeks back and been running right along all the way. Update or not is a decision to be made by each individual. Autoloader is my recommendation. I load the new OS first, security wipe, and then do device switch with Link. Has always been successful even in the days of OS7 and below all the way back to OS4 on the Bold 9000.
    03-03-15 12:32 PM
    Youtube is your friend if you know nothing about the BB10 operating system. Just do a search such as "using blackberry 10" etc and check out all the videos. There are many: https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...Av&fr=sfp&tt=b

this is just one example. Hope all goes well and have fun-the process will be a little intimidating and difficult for a first time user but will get easier in no time.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-03-15 12:35 PM
    Put the phone on the charger first off. There is a short manual in the box worth at least a quick peek. Then fire up the phone and have fun.

The latest OS works fine for my Z30. Smooth operation without any of the problems people report. Put on as a leak weeks back and been running right along all the way. Update or not is a decision to be made by each individual. Autoloader is my recommendation. I load the new OS first, security wipe, and then do device switch with Link. Has always been successful even in the days of OS7 and below all the way back to OS4 on the Bold 9000.
    I couldn't disagree more. Updating a z30 to 10.3 should not be done. Even BlackBerry have admitted there is an issue. Here is the link below. I've been working tech support for almost 20 years and this isn't a joke. It's a big risk not worth taking. Many z30 are working properly but every time I look into it there is more and more reports of z30's having this issue. Being as this will be yout first smart phone, don't risk it. Wait

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-03-15 12:39 PM
    I also agree. Just start it and go through the first steps. Get used to the device, to the pre-installed OS and turn off automatic update in the settings.

You should have a BlackBerry ID (set it up now : https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/ ) and please don't forget any password.

The device is tied to your blackberry ID so please don't forget the data!!

If you set up a password for your device, also remember it!!! (and further, picture password, too... understand it well before you use it)

5 times picture password false, you are asked 5 times the device password.

(no picture password set up, you are asked 10 times device password)...

It is not the SIM lock 4-digit!!! It is a device password!! The sim digit is called PIN, too so don't confound!!! (I am asked the SIM pin first, then device pin on the first start)

May be you start the device and set it up without the SIM card, using WiFi first, so you must have Internet, router ID and password aswell as a BlackBerry-ID ready to use (you can do it online already, so you have it when you start the set up)

Why is it important to know your password? If you enter it 10x false, the device is wiped and you lose all your data!!! (best security measure for your data if device stolen)

You said first smartphone ever?! If you need help, feel free to ask! Here on the site, there is plenty of help already and many who are willing to help!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-03-15 01:07 PM
    That's not necessary. You can go to the tutorial once you turn it on. You'll be fine

Posted via My Gorgeous white Z30
    03-03-15 07:22 PM
    So... I encrypted my device data only to immediately forget the device password I assigned... (or rather, the password I thought I used is not being accepted for some reason) I'm not terribly concerned, but I was wondering:

1) Is there ever a reason do decrypt my device data?

2) Does backing up my device data backup my contacts? So far, that's the only thing I've really done with my phone.
    03-03-15 09:13 PM
    Do secure wipe and start over.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 09:19 PM
    So... I encrypted my device data only to immediately forget the device password I assigned... (or rather, the password I thought I used is not being accepted for some reason) I'm not terribly concerned, but I was wondering:

1) Is there ever a reason do decrypt my device data?

2) Does backing up my device data backup my contacts? So far, that's the only thing I've really done with my phone.
    PASSWORDS!!!
    You should immediately do a security wipe and start again!!

Please write down your passwords for the beginning... if you encrypt, you can't do anything without PW!!!

Before you do sth, read in the forums, ask, only do if you understood everything in advance!!!

Security wipe takes minutes to hours!!! Don't interrupt it! Else you brick the device and it becomes useless !!!

Workhorse: BlackBerry|Q10, SQN100-3, OS 10.2.2.1531; Power Workhorse: BlackBerry|Passport, SQW100-1, OS 10.3.1.2480; Germany.
    03-03-15 09:30 PM
    I will buy your dead z30 for cheap. Think it's just a bad screen. The update may have brought it out but it was due to die. Had one die on me one day as well. Check if you plug into laptop and can see data.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 10:16 PM
    I will buy your dead z30 for cheap. Think it's just a bad screen. The update may have brought it out but it was due to die. Had one die on me one day as well. Check if you plug into laptop and can see data.

Posted via CB10
    Read this. http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl

It an issue. Bell and Rogers have pulled the update for the z30.

Posted on my now almost useless z30 that won't wake up
    03-03-15 10:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    His device is not broken yet... just anticipating! OP must read about what and how to do sth before he does it!!! And... follow the advice... why are we giving so much advice??

03-03-15 10:39 PM