According to the Toronto star.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 07:47 PM
    So where is the link?
    09-17-13 07:50 PM
    09-17-13 07:51 PM
    Keyword "speculation" but I so hope this is true!

Interesting, I hadn't heard anything about a new antenna ...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 07:53 PM
    It says speculation in the headline but goes into details in the article. Strange...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 07:56 PM
    Will be nice! I will be awake when the event is happening. 6 more hours and then the event starts there. It is 9AM there!

Mmmm...CB10! Just the tip though...
    09-17-13 07:58 PM
    Will be nice! I will be awake when the event is happening. 6 more hours and then the event starts there. It is 9AM there!

Bro, where will the event take place? And time?
    09-17-13 08:40 PM
    Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. It is at one of the fancy hotels in the City. Though it is a closed event and they probably don't want Gate-crashers so probably best to not unveil which Hotel. :-P

09-17-13 08:43 PM
    knowing Malaysians, there WILL always be gatecrashers... Especially the notorious blog circles posing as medias, and so called self-celebrities and trend setters.
    09-17-13 08:51 PM
    It says speculation in the headline but goes into details in the article. Strange...

Posted via CB10
    Even stranger, the article was just edited and now no longer includes the info about the "new antenna"...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 08:59 PM
    The article is totally different now. It specifically said which markets it would be released in next week as well as saying in Canada for instance was still to be announced.

I am thinking the original article will be in the paper which will be delivered after the event but it was not meant to be on line tonight.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 09:14 PM
    The article is totally different now. It specifically said which markets it would be released in next week as well as saying in Canada for instance was still to be announced.

I am thinking the original article will be in the paper which will be delivered after the event but it was not meant to be on line tonight.

Posted via CB10
    Got a cached copy?
    09-17-13 09:30 PM
    How would I find a cached copy? I use Internet Explorer on my PC?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 09:36 PM
    What did it say about the new antenna?

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 09:52 PM
    Basically they had a new antenna technology that would allow for better reception...there was a bit more too it. I wish I had copied the article as it was originally written.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 09:54 PM
    Participated.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 09:57 PM
    Something about better reception and data transfers speeds in low-reception areas. The article referred to it as "new technology "....which would be pretty cool if true. Wish I had copied the article as well.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:00 PM
    Hope somebody saved a copy of that original article somewhere. I'm interested in reading about this new potential technology.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:02 PM
    Any patent info on this antenna? This is not something to be ignored....

Edit: I just checked Google patents, they were issues a patent for a new antenna on September 3, 2013! http://www.google.com/patents/US8525...ed=0CAcQ6AEwAA

I am in the antenna industry, I will find out what exactly this is protecting and what performance advantage this can have tomorrow.
    Lehomer likes this.
    09-17-13 10:19 PM
    Could've just been an error by the author of the article also? I guess we'll find out in a few hours...

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 10:27 PM
    Basically they had a new antenna technology that would allow for better reception...there was a bit more too it. I wish I had copied the article as it was originally written.

Posted via CB10
    isn't that what the Paratek acquisition was about?
    09-17-13 10:34 PM
    Next generation antennae technology incorporated in the Z30 and built by Blackberry's subsidiary, Paratek?

Mobile Wireless

Paratek :: Mobile Wireless

The Mobile Wireless Market: Paratek is Making it Better!

The worldwide mobile wireless market is one of the most dynamic and exciting places to be. From handset and component manufacturers to the carriers themselves, the entire supply chain is experiencing rapid growth. According to the Prismark Wireless Technology Report, published quarterly by market research firm Prismark Partners, more than 1 billion mobile phones will be sold worldwide in 2006. That's an astounding milestone, but it points out just how pervasive mobile phones have become. It may appear as though we've reached a point where 'everybody has a mobile phone,' but large portions of the world--India and Asia among them--aren't as far along and represent major opportunities for growth.

It is against this backdrop that Paratek operates. We're the worldwide leader in RF tuning solutions for the mobile wireless industry. We don't make wireless...we make it better! That means giving component and handset manufacturers a whole new set of tools with which to work. It means giving carriers the ability to differentiate their services. It means that consumers will have unprecedented reliability in their mobile wireless communications, even as new services like GPS, WiFi, and mobile TV become more mainstream. When you couple the demand for newer and higher bandwidth services with the never-ending demand for smaller and thinner phones, you begin to realize that the entire supply chain from component manufacturers to the carriers must work cohesively.

The primary focus area for Paratek--and where the industry has identified a clear need for focus--is on RF tuning. Mobile phones are essentially radios, since they transmit and receive signals through free space. They have amplifiers and antennas, just like radios do. What Paratek produces are highly miniaturized 'tuning' circuits that can be inserted into mobile phones. These circuits help mobile phones operate flawlessly without regard to how the phone is being used, where it's being used, what band it's operating on, or what mode.

Paratek's products are built upon two proprietary but complementary technologies called ParaScan and ParaStak. ParaScan is a proprietary doped material that forms the basis for all of Paratek's products, and it accomplishes astounding RF tuning results in real-world environments. ParaStak is a manufacturing process that takes a traditional 2-D circuit and turns it into a highly miniaturized 'stacked' 3-D design. With phones getting smaller, thinner and lighter, this approach is tailored to the direction the mobile wireless market is headed.

Even better, perhaps this technology will be licenced by Apple, Samsung, Sony and Microsoft:-)
    Nharzhool likes this.
    09-18-13 12:19 AM
    Here is the original, guys:

BlackBerry Ltd. will today unveil its latest, biggest and fastest smartphone, the 5-inch Z30, a touchscreen handset operating on the BB10 platform that may debut in Asia followed by a U.S. launch within the next three weeks.
    The Z30 will carry active-matrix organic light-emitting diode display technology, a 1.7 GHz processor with quadcore graphics that make browsing web pages faster and games more detailed.
    It also comes with stereo speakers to improve the sound quality of music, videos, apps and games.
    The Z30 will also feature new generation antenna technology that promises better connectivity in low-signal areas. BlackBerry says its new technology will give faster data transfers and fewer dropped calls in low signal areas.
    The BlackBerry Z30 smartphone will roll out from select carriers and retailers around the world beginning next week in the U.K. and Middle East, and all other regions going into the end of year holiday season. Specific pricing and availability will be announced by partners at the time of their respective launches.
    In Canada, carriers including Bell, Telus, MTS and SaskTel along with other retail partners for the Z30 will be announced in coming weeks. Pricing details will be announced later as well.
    The flagship Z30 is seen as taking over from the company’s high end, 4.2 inch display BB10 Z10, moving that handset and the keyboard centric Q10 to the mid-tier, with the BlackBerry Q5 offered as an entry-level smartphone.
    The new Z30 device will feature an updated version of the BB OS called 10.2 which is expected to be unveiled at an event in Malaysia today.
    The Kuala Lumpur event could also mark the launch of its BlackBerry Messenger app across rival Apple and Android mobile devices.
    Speculation about timing of the cross platform BBM release was spurred this week by an ad aired during broadcast of reality game show the Amazing Race Canada that said BBM for iOS and Android is “coming soon.”
    The spot follows CEO Thorsten Heins’ announcement in May that the popular real time social messaging app would be available globally on Android and Apple by the end of summer..
    The Malaysia event might also detail release specifics for the BlackBerry 9720 handset on the legacy BB7 platform which is launching in countries across the region including India.
    A fall Z30 launch would follow Apple’s unveiling last week of its new iPhone 5s featuring finger scan security technology and the lower tier iPhone 5c, both running an updated iOS 7 platform.
    The Apple phones will go on sale at 8 a.m. local time on Friday at Apple retail stores and at 3:01 a.m. EDT at the Apple Online Store. The devices are being rolled out in markets including Australia, France and China and will be available in Canada via Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin mobile, Fido, Koodo mobile and select Best Buy, Future Shop, Target and Walmart stores and Apple authorized resellers.
    A new BlackBerry handset would follow disappointing sales for BlackBerry’s next generation devices on the BB10 OS that have failed to slow a plunge in market share amid competition from Apple and a raft of devices on the Android OS.
    BlackBerry in August said it was exploring strategic alternatives that could involve a partnership, a break up or outright sale.
    BCITMike likes this.
    09-18-13 12:30 AM
    1:50pm now...
    09-18-13 12:49 AM
    14:30 now :-P
    09-18-13 01:28 AM
33 12