As part of an ebay lot, I acquired a used Z30. It's pretty beat up. The screen is cracked, the insides are visible in one corner. Part of the silvery trimming is missing. The back cover is loose. The SD slot won't hold in the SD card; I can install apks if I manually keep the card in place until installation is complete. Oh, and the previous BBID is in place, and Blackberry Protect is On.

That said, the phone works! I uploaded up a couple of e-readers, including Amazon, and they work fine. I don't notice the screen cracks when reading. Even beat up, this really is a beautiful device. I'm fine using it as an e-reader.

My question is, do I dare risk to security wipe it (if I can even do it w/o the password)? Or attempt an autoloader? My guts tells me doing either will brick the phone, since I cannot bypass the password during set-up. Tell me if I'm wrong or otherwise.

Oh, and does the legacy services shutdown affect the Priv? If I want to factory reset my Priv in the future after 2022, will there be any problems?
    09-20-20 06:36 PM
    As part of an ebay lot, I acquired a used Z30. It's pretty beat up. The screen is cracked, the insides are visible in one corner. Part of the silvery trimming is missing. The back cover is loose. The SD slot won't hold in the SD card; I can install apks if I manually keep the card in place until installation is complete. Oh, and the previous BBID is in place, and Blackberry Protect is On.

That said, the phone works! I uploaded up a couple of e-readers, including Amazon, and they work fine. I don't notice the screen cracks when reading. Even beat up, this really is a beautiful device. I'm fine using it as an e-reader.

My question is, do I dare risk to security wipe it (if I can even do it w/o the password)? Or attempt an autoloader? My guts tells me doing either will brick the phone, since I cannot bypass the password during set-up. Tell me if I'm wrong or otherwise.

Oh, and does the legacy services shutdown affect the Priv? If I want to factory reset my Priv in the future after 2022, will there be any problems?
    Priv is unaffected.

You need the existing BBID before wiping the Z30.
    09-20-20 07:53 PM
    As I expected.
    Pity. This will be the death knell of ebay blackberry phone offerings after 2022 arrives.
    09-22-20 08:10 PM
    As I expected.
    Pity. This will be the death knell of ebay blackberry phone offerings after 2022 arrives.
    Unless their owners see it coming beforehand and disable BB Protect and then wipe the device right after and set it up again without a BBID account.

Actually, would you be able to initial setup a BB10 phone all the way from the language selection screen to the home screen after 2022, assuming BB Protect was disabled prior to wiping?
    09-22-20 08:23 PM
    Actually, would you be able to initial setup a BB10 phone all the way from the language selection screen to the home screen after 2022, assuming BB Protect was disabled prior to wiping?
    Should be fine - you don't need a network connection to set up a BB10 device from scratch without a BBID. But the "Complete Setup" notification would keep nagging you until you connected to the network and actually completed the initial setup thing. Not sure if you'd run into problems there, or if BB might even be planning to push one last update stripping out all the server connection fluff.
    09-23-20 07:52 PM
    Should be fine - you don't need a network connection to set up a BB10 device from scratch without a BBID. But the "Complete Setup" notification would keep nagging you until you connected to the network and actually completed the initial setup thing. Not sure if you'd run into problems there, or if BB might even be planning to push one last update stripping out all the server connection fluff.
    Then I'd just complete the setup thing to avoid getting the annoying notification.

As long as there's no BBID involved, should be good to go.
    09-23-20 10:23 PM
    Priv is unaffected.

You need the existing BBID before wiping the Z30.
    Check this thread #12, http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1187120. In fact it works, I tried it on a Z30. Shockingly easy to bypass theft protection. I don't know if it has to be wiped, mine was. Of course one have to do this at one's own risk.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-20 03:17 PM
    There was a cryptic reference to "one last update" within the past year, when they were planning on shutting things down sooner. If I had to guess, they decided that extending support was easier than stripping out the security and now won't bother doing that with the extended support going so much longer than expected.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    10-27-20 03:36 PM
    There was a cryptic reference to "one last update" within the past year,
    Perhaps the mysterious 3333??
    https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post13551833
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    10-27-20 03:51 PM
    No, it was a passing quote from someone at BlackBerry Limited about "perhaps one more update."

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    10-27-20 04:19 PM
    That's what had popped to mind.
    10-27-20 04:20 PM