I'm on the fence right now when it comes to getting an A10 based on the current leaked specs. If it comes out with a 1080P screen and Quad core processor I'll be all over it.
    Yes, with such an A10 arriving most likely I'd give another chance to BB, provided they got Android support fixed in 10.2 (which seems plausible based on recent leaks.)

Just wish it came with 32GB of internal storage plus expandable memory. Games really chew up the free space and it seems like 16GB internal just isn't enough any more.

Anyways really hope a 1080p display is in the works for the A10, I think it would really help in the sales of the device.
    16GB internal storage is OK, just give me an option to move everything (at least apps) to my 64GB microSD (and encrypt it, of course.)
    07-31-13 08:17 PM
    There could, after all, be a A5 and a A10.

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-31-13 10:59 PM
    The A10 might not be done(engineering). They have three or more variations since they are still testing quadcore, dualcore and octacore processors in the A10 and 4.65 and 5 inch versions of the phone.
    Every blog and forum post I've seen until now mentions dual core and 5 inch display. I'm curious what information you might have to indicate that the quoted variants are in play?
    08-01-13 12:07 AM
    You cannot tell because they can change elements to be smaller as it is going to be on a big screen. The best way to use a big screen at the same resolution or smaller as a smaller screen is to shrink elements
    Its strange that the height and width are equally bigger. 25% taller and 25% wider can only come from a screen which is bigger with the same resolution . Ie, a 5.5" screen
    08-01-13 02:23 AM
    Every blog and forum post I've seen until now mentions dual core and 5 inch display. I'm curious what information you might have to indicate that the quoted variants are in play?
    Every blog and post is simply repeating the same unconfirmed info one supposed carrier tester somewhere far away (Vietnam?) leaked... it's the good ol' online 'echo chamber' effect, it means and proves nothing.

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    08-01-13 06:01 AM
    Just so everyone knows, the Galaxy S4 is the only phone right now with an AMOLED 1080p display (and probably the only one this year, other than Note 3). Do you think Samsung would be sharing new screen tech at reasonable prices with it's rivals when it's own flagship is so new to the market? They have set the same precedent every year. The Aristo is 720p.
    08-01-13 09:43 AM
    BlackBerry A Series - BerryFlow
    08-01-13 01:54 PM
    ?
    08-01-13 04:40 PM
    Until very recently it really bothered me that the A10 is not 1080p. But after checking out what else is in the pipeline from other phone makers (at least for this year) I'm not too bothered.

HTC one has 1080p. It tanked.

Motorola's (owned by google) soon to be released flagship is 720p. The moto x.

Iphone 5s or 6 will not be FHD either. They will call it retina display plus or something since they are masters at marketing. Still doesn't make the iphone 5 display any better than the z10 despite the fluff.

So let it be 720p and have excellent usability. That matters most.

Posted via CB10
    j21jam6 likes this.
    08-01-13 06:26 PM
    Until very recently it really bothered me that the A10 is not 1080p. But after checking out what else is in the pipeline from other phone makers (at least for this year) I'm not too bothered.

Iphone 5s or 6 will not be FHD either. They will call it retina display plus or something since they are masters at marketing. Still doesn't make the iphone 5 display any better than the z10 despite the fluff.

Posted via CB10
    This is the kind of clueless bubble-based nonsense that's driving BB into the ditch, for sure.
    08-01-13 10:44 PM
    This is the kind of clueless bubble-based nonsense that's driving BB into the ditch, for sure.
    How so? The poster made valid points. The Xperia Z has a 1080p screen, not a big seller, HTC One 1080p, again while better than other HTC phones, the only real 1080p winner this year was the Galaxy S4.

The Moto X is coming with a 720p AMOLED RGB screen. And yet people aren't dissapointed. The S3 sold like hot cakes at 720p.

I'm sick of people and thinking everything has to be 1080p, what's next, by next year if a screen on a phone isn't 4K res it's outdated and junk? Or if it doesn't have a built in blu ray I don't want it? Everyone is becoming so ridicoulus playing arm chair CEO and arm chair Engineers it's actually sickening.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:54 PM
    It's SICKENING!!! Argh!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 10:59 PM
    who said early fall, they said for the holiday season, could be late fall for all we know
    Knowing BB, it'll be the very last day of Fall. Let's all argue about what the last day of Fall and the "actual" last day of Fall is.
    08-01-13 11:38 PM
    I think the most important thing right now is to price it well. The right spec for the right price. If 1080p makes it too uneconomical then so be it. High end smartphone market is saturated. The A10 needs to be priced competitively.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-13 11:53 PM
    How so? The poster made valid points. The Xperia Z has a 1080p screen, not a big seller, HTC One 1080p, again while better than other HTC phones, the only real 1080p winner this year was the Galaxy S4.

The Moto X is coming with a 720p AMOLED RGB screen. And yet people aren't dissapointed. The S3 sold like hot cakes at 720p.

I'm sick of people and thinking everything has to be 1080p, what's next, by next year if a screen on a phone isn't 4K res it's outdated and junk? Or if it doesn't have a built in blu ray I don't want it? Everyone is becoming so ridicoulus playing arm chair CEO and arm chair Engineers it's actually sickening.

Posted via CB10
    Yea, no kidding. And then people complain about the prices of the phones but they want them stuffed with expensive hardware. You can't have your cake and eat it too. What really matters here is the user experience, price and apps. Throw in reliability as well.
    08-02-13 12:10 AM
    How so? The poster made valid points. The Xperia Z has a 1080p screen, not a big seller,
    On the contrary it's far the most successful top-tier Xperia. Reviews are very positive, praising Sony as they "finally got it" etc.
    It's generating a lot of brand recognition for Sony and that's the point, not.even actual sales of that one model - Sony already overtook BB Europe in France, Germany etc.

HTC One 1080p, again while better than other HTC phones, the only real 1080p winner this year was the Galaxy S4.
    HTC have had several quality issues but they have an established brand in Europe and Asia and they don't have to sell a brand new OS... and again: they have a top-tier phone, all visitors I had from Europe this year had either HTC (including couple of One) or iPhone, none had Samsung. (Nor BB, of course.)

The Moto X is coming with a 720p AMOLED RGB screen. And yet people aren't dissapointed.
    The press/reviews are, they are all panning it, even though it's clearly positioned as an affordable workhorse for the everyday people, unlike BB's overpriced 'premium' phone with last year's hardwarr and an unfinished OS, with generally negative reviews.

The S3 sold like hot cakes at 720p.
    A year ago, yeah. Oh and at discounted prices, sure. Ah and with an.established OS, from the #1 brand.

Posted via CB10
    I am actually an engineer (and C-level too) but you don't have to be one to see that something radical must be done or BB will disappear from the market (think of 2 years or less, if revenues will decline at an accelerated pace)... your bubble will burst if you don't push BB to step up - and your 'encouragement' for the lousy course is not helping BB, trust me.

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    08-02-13 09:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    I agree, BlackBerry shouldn't strive to be better at all, just copy the specs of others.

im sure that`ll work lol
    08-02-13 09:50 AM
    Everyone is becoming so ridicoulus playing arm chair CEO and arm chair Engineers it's actually sickening.

Posted via CB10
    I mean no offence, but if hearing other peoples opinions sickens you, then a forum isn't the best location for you.
    08-02-13 09:55 AM
    I agree, BlackBerry shouldn't strive to be better at all, just copy the specs of others.

im sure that`ll work lol
    They are certainly not copying others. Note the quad core GPU which no one has at the moment. I just hope as you pointed out that it will be competitively priced and looking at the leaked specs I think this phone will be mass market oriented. Focusing on Multimedia/social media and games.

My Q10 with 10.1 is already smoother and faster than my girlfriends samsung s4. I know cause I'm the one who has to maintain the bloody thing.

But I will say it's not be as buttery as my iphone 5. Yet. 10.2 will be the benchmark. I see plenty of problems with ios7. As GBR said" the biggest problem is that ios7 is nicer to look at and has addressed certain functionality problems but it is not necessarily smarter"

Blackberry would be smarter to release the a10 with 720p dual core for 199 rather than 1080p quad core at 399.

As most of the phone companies earnings have proven. The high end phone market is saturated.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 10:16 AM
    They are certainly not copying others. Note the quad core GPU which no one has at the moment.
    really? are we certain that the SGX554 GPU in the `new` ipad (4th gen) isn't quad core?

while I haven't looked to see if any phones have it, id say its a safe bet that the iphone5s or whatever it gets called will have it, so the A series if it launches after the ip5s wont be the first.
    I believe though that the sgs4 runs a dual core SGX554 and the ip5 runs a tri core SGX553(mp3) although regional differences in the sgs4 make it hard to be certain, even moreso when the SGX554 is capable of up to 16 core useage so from a part number its too hard to be 100%

Also for clarity it should be added that quad core isn't nessecarily better than dual core, take for example Intel CPU`s and AMD CPU`s, a 6 core AMD may have higher numbers but generally is only on par with a Intel 4 core. this is why comparing an SGX chip against an adreno chip could also be not so clear cut on a mobile device.
    08-02-13 10:42 AM
    I hope that these different types of A10s rumoured some with 4 rows some with 5 means that the A10 will indeed come in 1080p. This screen shot does seem to point to some hope.
    Some pics with 4 rows and some with 5 rows is far more easily explained by the ones with 4 rows being older software before they had made ui customisations to best take advantage of the larger display in just the same way that we saw different versions of the q10 ui as well.

This device is going to end up being 720p no matter how many people make up conspiracy theories based on vague and unreliable information.
    08-02-13 11:04 AM
    icon sizes haven't changed still the same pixel size its always been as far as i can see. if 10.2 made the icons smaller just for the A10 things on the Q10 and Z10 would be more cluttered and harder to press with your thumb.
    The q10 has smaller icons than the z10, slap those onto the a10 and you move to the 5 row design without implying 1080p.
    mithrazor and rayzian like this.
    08-02-13 11:06 AM
    Some pics with 4 rows and some with 5 rows is far more easily explained by the ones with 4 rows being older software before they had made ui customisations to best take advantage of the larger display in just the same way that we saw different versions of the q10 ui as well.

This device is going to end up being 720p no matter how many people make up conspiracy theories based on vague and unreliable information.
    In a different post I had reached the same conclusion. Its a software tweaking situation most likely.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 11:36 AM
    really? are we certain that the SGX554 GPU in the `new` ipad (4th gen) isn't quad core?

while I haven't looked to see if any phones have it, id say its a safe bet that the iphone5s or whatever it gets called will have it, so the A series if it launches after the ip5s wont be the first.
    I believe though that the sgs4 runs a dual core SGX554 and the ip5 runs a tri core SGX553(mp3) although regional differences in the sgs4 make it hard to be certain, even moreso when the SGX554 is capable of up to 16 core useage so from a part number its too hard to be 100%

Also for clarity it should be added that quad core isn't nessecarily better than dual core, take for example Intel CPU`s and AMD CPU`s, a 6 core AMD may have higher numbers but generally is only on par with a Intel 4 core. this is why comparing an SGX chip against an adreno chip could also be not so clear cut on a mobile device.
    We're comparing phones here not tablets. The iphone 5s will be similarly specced is my point. 1080p would be nice but seems unlikely same with the ip5s. And yes I agree with you dual core could very well be better for A10s application (battery life?, higherclocks?) so why are we complaining again?

I think its best to think of the a10 as a z10s. A bump up in the specs dept but keep it affordable.

BlackBerry can't and shouldn't command the premiums they used to.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 11:48 AM
    And yes I agree with you dual core could very well be better for A10s application (battery life?, higherclocks?) so why are we complaining again?
    I didn't say that at all. I simply pointed out that unless the chipmaker is the same, then a higher spec might not yield better benefits.

personally all things being equal, the A series would be better off with a quad core 800 series, as that's better and from the same supplier, therefore for all intents and purposes is better. so I actually am very against the A10 having dual core, I just cant see what it really offers over the Z10, which means theres no incentive to switch. that of course is all personal opinion though.
    08-02-13 11:52 AM
75 123