Well - people will complain, but I bet if you did a 'blind test' and asked people to tell you which was 1080p and which wasn't, most wouldn't have a clue because their (non) hawk eyes wouldn't perceive the difference.
    At the distance from your phone to your eyes, you would have to be half way blind not to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. Its over 1,000,000 pixels difference.
    07-08-13 04:52 PM
    Is this really mean that bbry is not gonna catch up the 1080p resolution and once again leaving their stuff behind the up to date smartphones?

Posted via CB10
    That's how BB does things...
    07-08-13 05:13 PM
    I suppose it is a 'checkbox' item, but I kind of view this like people getting all hot and bothered about the number of megapixels in their camera and then only post photos to Facebook ... or people that crow about their bajillion core processor phone but can't produce an app that makes use of the cores to demonstrate the next wave in computing.
    Yes it's silly but that's what people are like. They gotta have the best of everything whether they use it or not.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    07-08-13 05:18 PM
    The issue is BB will be charging the same and the spec will suggest it should be much less.

My S3 is 720 and yes you can tell the difference side by side with a 1080 screen.

Anything less than 1080 on a flagship large touchscreen is mid 2012 spec and needs pricing to match.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    07-08-13 05:33 PM
    Maybe some more technical people here can help me out with understanding this. So a phone with 1080p would run the battery down faster, require more graphical processing, and produce exactly no added visual benefit over 720p, and therefore I want the 1080p?

This just proves my cynical view of people as a whole. The people that said without it BB will get ripped to shreds are actually probably right, but mainly because people are generally dumb about this stuff.

For anyone that's seen Idiocracy, the 1080p argument reminds me of the movie and "but....it has electrolytes!"

Having said all that, so long as the HDMI outputs at 1080p, I'm happy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    green_ember likes this.
    07-08-13 05:48 PM
    Found the clip. Imagine, instead of "Electrolytes", trying to explain why 1080p is more marketing sizzle than an actual, useful spec:

07-08-13 05:59 PM
    At the distance from your phone to your eyes, you would have to be half way blind not to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. Its over 1,000,000 pixels difference.
    Please look at the science. You eye won't physically be able to see the pixels.
    Bobcat665 and green_ember like this.
    07-08-13 06:52 PM
    Please look at the science. You eye won't physically be able to see the pixels.
    Are you saying in a "blind" test there is no way to prove a screen at 4.7-5 inch is 1080p vs one that is not? Assuming you're looking at displays that are unlabelled.
    07-08-13 08:01 PM
    Funny I never saw any official specs. Since you have the offical specs please share.

There is last years leak of specs and this years. This years is updated to a Snapdragon 600 or 800 series chip 4gb of ram and 1080 screen. The screen isnt a big deal as people can't tell the difference with the naked eye on smartphone size screen.
    I haven't seen any leaks that show the A-Series packing anything better then a Snapdragon S4 Pro. If you can point me to a leaked slide or anything better then pure speculation that it will pack a chip in it from this year I would be thrilled.

Yes, it's all just a guess until BlackBerry announces what SOC it's going to be packing. But, I've been around BlackBerry for 12 years now and from experience, if it was my money on the line I'd be betting AGAINST it packing a 2013 Snapdragon SOC.
    07-08-13 08:08 PM
    Exactly my thoughts. As long as they market it as HD people won't care. As a developer I'm happy that the are finally standardizing their display aspect ratio. As a consumer, you should also be happy. This will ensure that all apps will be available on your device.

Ya ya 1280p.. end of the day, I want a device that is performant, that also has the apps that I use and has good battery life. I don't want some overly gimmicky android that sells only due to their ridiculous specs. As a developer, I know that the architecture of the system allows for regular normal spec'd devices to still perform as well as those crazy spec'd androids.

Posted via CB10
    I'm thrilled to know that BlackBerry making phones consumers DON'T want to buy will ensure our platform will get "all the apps"

Glad to know you're the one developing Spotify, Instagram, Hulu, Netflix, Path, Vine, Candy Crush, Kobo, major Banking Apps, etc...

You really shouldn't be posting on forums with all that work cut out for you.

It's the MAJOR apps we need and it's the major apps we will never get unless BlackBerry can actually capture some market share. They are failing to do this at the moment. They need phones people want to buy and sales people want to sell. The A-Series does not sound like it's shaping up to be a device that will help BlackBerry's situation at all.

It will be purely mid-range spec at outrageously high end price. It will pack a poor Pentile Matrix AMOLED screen. An entirely average camera. A clearance sale outdated Chip. A non user-replaceable battery. It's rumored to be thicker then a Z10 to boot which makes no sense without a removable battery.

So it's basically going to be the overweight special needs kid that wandered into an all star locker-room hoping to play the game thinking they were going to be the MVP.
    MasterOfBinary and mithrazor like this.
    07-08-13 08:22 PM
    I'm thrilled to know that BlackBerry making phones consumers DON'T want to buy will ensure our platform will get "all the apps"

Glad to know you're the one developing Spotify, Instagram, Hulu, Netflix, Path, Vine, Candy Crush, Kobo, major Banking Apps, etc...

You really shouldn't be posting on forums with all that work cut out for you.

It's the MAJOR apps we need and it's the major apps we will never get unless BlackBerry can actually capture some market share. They are failing to do this at the moment. They need phones people want to buy and sales people want to sell. The A-Series does not sound like it's shaping up to be a device that will help BlackBerry's situation at all.

It will be purely mid-range spec at outrageously high end price. It will pack a poor Pentile Matrix AMOLED screen. An entirely average camera. A clearance sale outdated Chip. A non user-replaceable battery. It's rumored to be thicker then a Z10 to boot which makes no sense without a removable battery.

So it's basically going to be the overweight special needs kid that wandered into an all star locker-room hoping to play the game thinking they were going to be the MVP.
    I'm not sure what to make of your post. The quoted post in yours talks about how they'd be happy if they have the right apps, and you seem offended about "Major" apps. Most people don't disagree with you here, the lack of major apps is a big thorn in BB's side and will continue to be a problem for a long time. Having said that, the quoted post is from a "developer" who develops apps. Like it or not, his opinion immediately carries more weight than yours (or mine) in that it is based on someone actually adding to the ecosystem.

The rest is based on getting angry over speculated specifications. Nothing has been released. You have no more idea than I do what the specs will be, so chill out and wait.

Lastly, this resolution thing is insane. BB should just buy into the spec race and release a 4K screen and 16-core processor, separate GPU and 16GB RAM. Who cares if the battery lasts 14 minutes, it's the BEST screen and FASTEST processor, and therefore is the MOST AWESOME PHONE EVER!!!!
    Bobcat665 and Bluenoser63 like this.
    07-08-13 09:16 PM
    Are you saying in a "blind" test there is no way to prove a screen at 4.7-5 inch is 1080p vs one that is not? Assuming you're looking at displays that are unlabelled.
    Yes. If the screens have the same pixel technology and looked at around 12 inches (proper viewing distance).
    07-08-13 09:29 PM
    Tech sites will rip it to shreds.....it better have 4gb then.
    It definitely won't have 4gb of ram either, there is simply no need for it and on a mobile device having a load of unused memory is a bad thing since it still has to be powered so would reduce your battery life for no reason.
    07-09-13 06:46 AM
    It definitely won't have 4gb of ram either, there is simply no need for it and on a mobile device having a load of unused memory is a bad thing since it still has to be powered so would reduce your battery life for no reason.
    People who demand specs don't understand that there is a cost to this. And for a mobile device, the factor that is affected most by improved specs is battery life. So the spec better be worth the loss of battery. You can increase the battery capacity, but that will mean larger and heavier devices. Another trade off. So if you have a spec 1080p vs 720p and there is no visible benefit to the user and there is a downside (battery life), well there is no need. People keep saying that if it doesn't have 1080p, then it will fail. If it has 1080p and a short battery life, it will fail more. Battery life is one of the most important specs there is for the average user.
    hauger likes this.
    07-09-13 06:57 AM
    Read the link I posted, you can only see so many ppi with 20/20 vision. That is where the "Retina" display came from for Apple products.
    07-09-13 07:02 AM
    bottom line is, if you walk into the store then the sales rep will go `this one is 1080p full HD, and this one isn't` and you just dropped a sale. does the spec matter? maybe, maybe not, but as people conceive it to be of importance then you have to play to that train of thought.
    sparkaction and mithrazor like this.
    07-09-13 07:09 AM
    bottom line is, if you walk into the store then the sales rep will go `this one is 1080p full HD, and this one isn't` and you just dropped a sale. does the spec matter? maybe, maybe not, but as people conceive it to be of importance then you have to play to that train of thought.
    And sales people say not to buy BB because they are bankrupt. They also say there are no apps. So? If the next BB10 has 720p and a long battery life, then sales people will say it has great battery life. When they stop saying that BB won't be around next year.
    07-09-13 07:14 AM
    If the next BB10 has 720p and a long battery life, then sales people will say it has great battery life. When they stop saying that BB won't be around next year.
    yea but people in general (speaking from my experience of phone sales for 3 years in a store) don't ask `what has the best battery life`, at best its a whole mix of things from spec to available apps to the actual cost of the phone. Obviously as a salesperson you do have to match a phone with the persons needs, but `this is full HD` is an heck of a lot more interesting than `this will stay turned on longer`.

The current trend seems to be part spec, part `larger phone` and part apps. im yet to see people buy a android phone and deplore the battery life so then buy a BB.
    07-09-13 07:34 AM
    My advice would be to release a 1080p A10 to boost sales and encourage the devs complaining about the hard extra step needed to build their apps to just port their Android App over.
    Reason is, android 4.2 runtime should be coming soon and boost performance of the apps. The difference between native and port would not be noticeable by the everyday Joe.
    Doing so would get BlackBerry some momentum and an increased market share.
    Finally after seeing BlackBerry getting the required amount of user base, Devs might believe that BB10 is a platform worth investing in, and by that I mean building native (cascade) applications.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-13 08:04 AM
    My advice would be to release a 1080p A10 to boost sales and encourage the devs complaining about the hard extra step needed to build their apps to just port their Android App over.
    Reason is, android 4.2 runtime should be coming soon and boost performance of the apps. The difference between native and port would not be noticeable by the everyday Joe.
    Doing so would get BlackBerry some momentum and an increased market share.
    Finally after seeing BlackBerry getting the required amount of user base, Devs might believe that BB10 is a platform worth investing in, and by that I mean building native (cascade) applications.

Posted via CB10
    So what about native app development? Don't care about those developers who don't have Android apps to port? If it is all about android apps, why not just kill BB10 and load Android as an OS?
    07-09-13 08:32 AM
    After having seen how well Skype 4 runs on 10.1 MR, I really think there is a future in having a powerful OS focused on communication and an Android container for apps. It will get even better on 10.2.

It's like what Ubuntu is doing with their smartphone OS for people who prefer open OS.

As for the screen res, you have to go with what others are doing if you want to market your device as high-end. Not everybody can trial a device for a couple of weeks to see if the marketing matches the reality, so from 5" you need 1080p.

Also, 4gb might be overkill, but 3gb certainly wouldn't. It will be the standard at the end of the year.

And finally BlackBerry needs to go with the same chipsets as the competition (snapdragon 800). Nothing to do with the number of cores, but they're trailing behind when it comes to graphics. If the OS is so efficient, then they can under clock the CPUs.

Note to BB: Dark theme and OLED screen combo = disaster outside
    07-09-13 09:29 AM
    Yes, and the pixels are too small for most people to see on a screen that size.
    07-09-13 10:51 AM
    The current trend seems to be part spec, part `larger phone` and part apps. im yet to see people buy a android phone and deplore the battery life so then buy a BB.
    The real question for the a10 is how much is spec and how much is larger phone since it delivers on the latter and judging by some of the other models that Samsung have come out with like the mega, it is not all about specs for them even in the spec-focused android market.

As far as apps, that is clearly one of the areas where the first bb10 devices were criticised and other than that the next one wasn't the relatively low spec of the device, it was complaints from those people who were suffering from bad battery life, so it is somewhat understandable that BB have made the decision to focus on offering a new form factor and great battery life as it is much easier to demonstrate that your next model has higher specs just from numbers, but much tougher to convince somebody that it would have good battery life if that person had a z10 with iffy battery life and then had an a10 that was similarly affected.
    07-09-13 11:01 AM
    After having seen how well Skype 4 runs on 10.1 MR, I really think there is a future in having a powerful OS focused on communication and an Android container for apps. It will get even better on 10.2.

It's like what Ubuntu is doing with their smartphone OS for people who prefer open OS.

As for the screen res, you have to go with what others are doing if you want to market your device as high-end. Not everybody can trial a device for a couple of weeks to see if the marketing matches the reality, so from 5" you need 1080p.

Also, 4gb might be overkill, but 3gb certainly wouldn't. It will be the standard at the end of the year.

And finally BlackBerry needs to go with the same chipsets as the competition (snapdragon 800). Nothing to do with the number of cores, but they're trailing behind when it comes to graphics. If the OS is so efficient, then they can under clock the CPUs.

Note to BB: Dark theme and OLED screen combo = disaster outside
    This will literally kill BB. They took a stand on their own OS and now have to fight for it. They made the decision to NOT go with Android and be another Android OEM.
    07-09-13 12:06 PM
    The real question for the a10 is how much is spec and how much is larger phone since it delivers on the latter and judging by some of the other models that Samsung have come out with like the mega, it is not all about specs for them even in the spec-focused android market.

As far as apps, that is clearly one of the areas where the first bb10 devices were criticised and other than that the next one wasn't the relatively low spec of the device, it was complaints from those people who were suffering from bad battery life, so it is somewhat understandable that BB have made the decision to focus on offering a new form factor and great battery life as it is much easier to demonstrate that your next model has higher specs just from numbers, but much tougher to convince somebody that it would have good battery life if that person had a z10 with iffy battery life and then had an a10 that was similarly affected.
    That is what I saw as well. Apps were #1, battery was #2. I don't remember too many "the screen is terrible, I can see pixels" complaint posts.
    07-09-13 12:06 PM
56 123