I woke to find my screen 2/3 blank. Phone was working fine when I went to sleep, but the next morning, the top 1/3 of the screen is all that displays a picture. Of course, I used the picture password, so I can't get into my phone, can't type the security password after 5 tries, or anything else. When I first noticed the problem, I called the phone and the display started working again. But after the screen went to sleep, it went back to the top 1/3 only. Does anyone know what might be going on? Is it possibly just the screen or is there some underlying problem?
    07-06-15 08:10 AM
    Well, with it been an OLED screen it's harder to tell (you'll understand if you know how OLED pixels work)

I suggest plugging in a USB keyboard to unlock it and a HDMI to see the screen, see if it sorts itself out somehow
    FF22 and Zedd88 like this.
    07-06-15 08:22 AM
    Well, looks like I'm pulling the plug on Blackberry. I've done all I can to fix my phone with no luck. Blackberry Help via twitter didn't bother acknowledging my problem, and Verizon says they can't help. As bad as I hate to say it, I'm going to move on to the iphone going forward. Really enjoyed BB as long as it worked, but there's no support for fixing the phone when it breaks. BB sure doesn't seem interested in helping out.
    07-20-15 12:15 PM
    Well, looks like I'm pulling the plug on Blackberry. I've done all I can to fix my phone with no luck. Blackberry Help via twitter didn't bother acknowledging my problem, and Verizon says they can't help. As bad as I hate to say it, I'm going to move on to the iphone going forward. Really enjoyed BB as long as it worked, but there's no support for fixing the phone when it breaks. BB sure doesn't seem interested in helping out.
    What happened when you plugged it into a TV as suggested? What happened after a hard reset? What happened when you took it to your local phone shop to quickly look at your screen? What kind of device was it anyway?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-20-15 12:19 PM
    Bought a new screen for my son's Z30 for $28.50 and free shipping from China. Just installed it and it works perfectly. These phones are a breeze to open up and to fix. So if the OP wants to part with his broken phone for a real cheap price, I'm buying, PM me.
    07-20-15 02:54 PM
    I didn't have wireless keyboard or hdmi to connect to tv as suggested. I did the hard reset and it didn't change anything. It was a BB Z30 device that was 14 months old.
    07-21-15 08:13 AM
    I've thought about replacing the screen. But when no one seemed to have had this happen before, i was hesitant to invest time and money into the device if it's not the screen. Do you think it's just the screen?
    07-21-15 08:15 AM
    Do you think it's just the screen?
    Most likely. Your carrier is supposed to provide support but your corner phone shop can replace the screen in 10 minutes.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    07-21-15 09:12 AM
    I've thought about replacing the screen. But when no one seemed to have had this happen before, i was hesitant to invest time and money into the device if it's not the screen. Do you think it's just the screen?
    I've had a few screen issues with a previous Z30. When I connected it to the TV through HDMI the entire screen would show. Bought a replacement screen from Amazon with the T4(?) needed to remove the back and it is a 5-10 minute job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q80...UvbUpU11805943

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PKZ...UvbUpU11805943

I purchased through US Cellular and screen was perfect. Still use one of the Z30s with the replacement screen. Links above to the Verizon model and GSM if you do decide to replace the screen since you are out of warranty anyway. They raised the prices a bit from the $39 I paid, but as mentioned you can find the screens cheaper especially if you can wait. Just make sure you get the right screen. I also used the YouTube video below as a guide...

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I actually gave away a white Z30 that needed a replacement screen in the "Pay it Forward" thread so if you don't decide to fix it you could do that or still sell it for some money. The screen replacement is super easy.

Posted via CB10
    darkshin0b11 likes this.
    07-21-15 09:16 AM
    You can get a cheap but reliable micro hdmi cable from Monoprice.com and see if it is the screen or some other component.
    07-21-15 10:00 AM
    I have had a similar issues with my call screen only showing up in 1/3 of the screen. I did a hard reset, hold both volume keys down for 10 seconds and the phone will rest and issues should go away.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 05:09 PM
    I have had a similar issues with my call screen only showing up in 1/3 of the screen. I did a hard reset, hold both volume keys down for 10 seconds and the phone will rest and issues should go away.

Posted via CB10
    At least the OP isn't alone. Glad a simple reboot resolved your issue. I posted under the assumption that the OP had already went through all of the basic troubleshooting (hard restart, BBVE, HDMI, backup and reload if software, etc.).

Based on your experience, it seems it may just be a software issue which is definitely better than having to replace hardware. Easiest thing to do now (after a hard reboot of course) for the OP would be to backup via Link and hit the "reload software if you are having any issues" in Link to see if that resolves the screen issue. Also didn't catch the OS version which may possibly be updated in the process either using Link or SACHESI/Autoloader.

Just another idea; not sure what or what not the OP has already tried. The Z30 is a very well built device. It was built as a high end device hence being replaced with the Leap which is much cheaper to build.

Still use the Z30 as a second device to my Passport. It's an awesome device. As for the screen on the Z30... one of the best screens I've seen comparing to my Passport and my friend's S6 Active.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 05:55 PM
    Thanks, how do i know which screen to purchase? I'm on verizon, but don't know if it's the GSM version or the CDMA version.
    07-22-15 08:58 AM
    Thanks, how do i know which screen to purchase? I'm on verizon, but don't know if it's the GSM version or the CDMA version.
    Verizon is CDMA.
    07-22-15 02:26 PM
    I'm confused now, I contacted "Top Gadgets, Inc.(link above) with my model number and other info and he said i should purchase the GSM version. Have i purchased the wrong product? What happens if i try and install and it's the wrong version. See below:

Hello Chris,
    Thank you for contacting us. The Blackberry Z30 STA100-3 model works exclusively with the GSM one.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Top Gadgets

Tom

Thanks,
    07-23-15 08:40 AM
    I'm confused now, I contacted "Top Gadgets, Inc.(link above) with my model number and other info and he said i should purchase the GSM version. Have i purchased the wrong product? What happens if i try and install and it's the wrong version. See below:

Hello Chris,
    Thank you for contacting us. The Blackberry Z30 STA100-3 model works exclusively with the GSM one.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Top Gadgets

Tom

Thanks,
    I don't know specifically about screen replacement.

BUT the STA100-3 is the Verizon model. That's what I have, too. And Verizon (and I forget - sprint??? which I don't think offers the z30, is also cdma???) is CDMA.

Maybe there's no screen difference but I don't know.
    07-23-15 09:03 AM
    There is definitely a difference! The Verizon model is CDMA 100%. You would need a CDMA screen replacement/digitizer.

As I wrote, I purchased from US Cellular through Amazon just searching for "BlackBerry Z30 screen replacement". The screens are indeed different.

If you in fact have the Verizon model as you stated, the GSM screen will NOT fit. The person you spoke with may have been confused because I believe the Verizon model also can be used on GSM carriers.

The way the screens attach are different and you will be unable to modify the GSM screen to fit the Verizon CDMA Z30 (I've actually tried, may have been the other way though, have replaced a few now lol).

I was sent the wrong screen from a different seller on Amazon and they told me to just keep it and refunded me. I then went and ordered from US Cellular without issue. They should have two listings... one for the GSM model and the Verizon CDMA model.

Not sure who you contacted or plan to order from, but the ones from Amazon also come with the T4 needed to replace the screen. It is very easy as long as you have the correct screen.

There are only two available for the Z30 so just make sure you get the correct one and it's easy going from there.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-23-15 11:06 AM
    I've gone ahead and ordered the cdma version. I contacted the seller and he still says the GSM will work, but I think he's wrong. Hopefully I will be able to return the incorrect screw for a refund. Thanks for all the assistance. I'll post what happens next when I receive the screens.
    07-24-15 06:07 AM
    I have tried the hard reset, but nothing seems to happen.
    07-24-15 06:09 AM
    US Cellular doesn't even offer BlackBerry 10 phones. Say they never will.

I've had a few screen issues with a previous Z30. When I connected it to the TV through HDMI the entire screen would show.
    I purchased through US Cellular and screen was perfect. Still use one of the Z30s with the replacement screen.

Posted via CB10

It's a BlackBerry Z30 on Big Red on 10.3
    07-24-15 06:49 AM
    US Cellular doesn't even offer BlackBerry 10 phones. Say they never will.

It's a BlackBerry Z30 on Big Red on 10.3
    I never even heard of US Cellular (the carrier) until I joined this forum. I am talking about the screens I have purchased from Amazon with the seller as "US Cellular Parts".

They offer both the GSM screen and the CDMA version along with the tools required to replace. Thought that was apparent from the links I posted. I posted links for both versions of the screen. I have no idea and highly doubt they are associated with the carrier, but who knows.

As for the OP, you definitely did the right thing getting the CDMA screen replacement. The GSM will not fit even with modification. If your Z30 is Verizon it is definitely the CDMA screen replacement. Hope everything goes well with the replacement.

If you haven't, watch the video I posted before replacing the screen and you'll be good to go. Thought that was the easiest and most thorough and talks about the screen differences if I remember correctly.

At this point I can replace the screen in about 5 minutes. Went through too many lol.

Posted via CB10
    team_leader_alpha1 likes this.
    07-24-15 12:40 PM
    Hey, just wanted to let you know that I've replaced my screen. The video was a great asset, and it was super easy. Since my screen went bad, Verizon pushed down the OS update, so it's like i have a new phone. Thanks for the video and encouragement. All is well again.
    FF22 and astrodan13 like this.
    07-29-15 09:52 AM
    I just wanted to let everyone know that replacing the screen has fixed my problem. Thanks to all the suggestions that were provided during this process.
    koolaje likes this.
    07-29-15 09:54 AM
    Good for you, aren't you happy you came here and got the information you needed to fix the problem yourself and not rush off and buy an iphone? Enjoy your nice refreshed Z30, I love this phone so much, I've purchased a spare one just in case.
    07-29-15 12:58 PM
    Awesome! Glad you were able to fix it AND got the update. Should be like a brand new phone. It's amazing how competitive the Z30 still remains with 10.3... :-)

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-30-15 10:08 AM