I had a Q10 that I absolutely loved, but the W key stopped working. I decided to pony up for a Z30, since I'd been curious about it.

After a couple days of playing around with it, I'm going to return it and get another Q10. The flaws in BB10 (10.2.1.whatever) that I am willing to overlook because of the advantages of a physical keyboard are frustratingly impossible to ignore on a touchscreen device.

BlackBerry needs to get their **** together! There are so many details off throughout the OS that are just unacceptable in a phone these days. Inconsistencies, weird bugs, missing features, etc.

Swiping down in the browser does not bring up the settings menu like the tutorial says it should (yes, I know where it is, but why isn't it where every other program is?!), amongst other weird half-baked implementations of their own UI. The browser itself, while great, hasn't been touched since they launched BB10 - it needs to be refined.

They need to be focusing on making only a few phones a year, BBM for mobile, the operating system, and core apps. That's it.

BBM for desktop is a ludicrous idea, the MockIt! idea is absolutely unnecessary, making device-specific docks is very 90s, updating through carriers needs to go away, I could go on.

Stickers for BBM is cute, but it's basically what their emoji implementation should have been from the start. And where is full emoji support in regular SMS, BTW?!

If it weren't for the keyboard on the Q10, I'd be on a Nexus 5 with either the CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android ROMs.

C'mon, BlackBerry. Get it together.

End rant.

Posted via CB10
    Damatrix02 likes this.
    04-01-14 11:09 AM
    You're talking about problems throughout the OS and only mentioned that the settings in the browser is not where you expect it to be.

You complain about the browser being untouched since release. It's being refined with every update and we had 4 already.
    And not to mention it's the best browser on mobile passing every benchmark with outstanding results. Is their room for improvement ? I'm sure their is.

I don't know if you have been following the forums lately but I'm seeing a lot of positive things about the Z30 which I can only confirm since I own one too.

You don't need to justify why you choose the Q10 which I'm sure is also an awesome phone.

Just don't go around expressing stuff without explaining exactly what's bothering you and maybe the fellow members here can help you.

My 2 cents

Posted with my dirty thirty!
    04-01-14 11:28 AM
    So, you're upset with the browser.
    You realize everything else you complained about would be logical if you were addressing the company's management strategy but are irrelevant to how the device functions?
    I mean, go ahead and grab your Nexus - - it's supposed to be great -- but BBM stickers don't make the Z30 worse, even if you don't like them.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 11:29 AM
    Browser Settings are accessed the same way that Hub Settings are.
    I agree it would be more natural for it to be at top like other apps, but I prefer how the Browser is currently.
    Swiping down in Browser reveals the current page description at top. Tapping that bar at the top takes you to top of page. Very handy imo.

If cross-platform BBM is to be truly successful eventually, it needs to be preferred over options like Skype and Google Hangouts. Being available on the desktop is part of that.

I'm not sure if you understand the social popularity of memes over last year or two especially. Providing a native BB10 app for generating memes, like Mockit, is huge for consumer appeal.

Whomever is BBRY would develop hardware accessories like docks wouldn't have anything to do with developing or enhancing the OS anyway.

And these are all criticisms of BB10 and BBRY in general that you entitled to have your opinion on, but none of it sounds like a reason to prefer the Q10 over the Z30.
    You don't have to provide a reason either. You could just plain like the Q10 more. But you are the one that started a thread on the topic and gives these points as your backup when they're not all exactly relevant to your situation of choosing one BB10 device over another BB10 device.
    Carl Estes and kbz1960 like this.
    04-01-14 11:33 AM
    Hey - thanks for the update as to what you are doing with your mobile device.

Since you have decided to live your life through a website we're all looking forward to updates of when you think, eat, flactuate, defecate, *******, sleep, wake, wash and floss.

We're all waiting with bated breath for your next update!!!!
    04-01-14 11:35 AM
    Currently pooping, since you wanted to know. Very firm - almost uncomfortably so, but in a good way.

Me pointing out that BlackBerry needs to polish the OS a lot more is not news. I'm just sharing my experience with the Z30 compared to the Q10.

And the shortcomings of the browser are not the only thing that needs attention - it was merely an example on an area they need to polish a bit more.

If you think BB10 is as polished as possible, good for you. I think it's an amazing OS -better than iOS and WindowsPhone for sure- but it still needs a LOT of work, and I think BlackBerry needs to focus.

Posted via CB10
    dejanh likes this.
    04-01-14 11:46 AM
    I understand what you mean. But that argument doesn't change when you swap your Z30 for a Q10. So I don't see the connection

Elite1 likes this.
    04-01-14 11:57 AM
    When I got the z30 I was very pleased because my nexus 5 reboots itself everyday at least 2 times and the z30 has rebooted zero times.

Posted via white z30
    04-01-14 02:11 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 browser is the best browser amongst mobile phone. Have you used Safari or Chrome on Android? They're fine for most things, but not as good or sometimes as fast as the BlackBerry 10 browser.

The browser has a lot of settings, and if you've noticed throughout the UI, many of the main controls are down near the bottom of the screen. Adding a bookmark, activating Reader Mode, checking Downloads, Reloading, Sharing... who wants to have to bring their finger ALL THE WAY UP to the top of the screen to do that all the time?

Sure they could have ONLY the Settings be accessed by swiping down, and have everything else available when pressing the three dots, but that seems disorganized. Two menus available within the Browser? Sorry, I'll take the ease of using the three dots right there over the consistency of having to swipe down from the top like all the other apps.

Customers have clamored for device specific docks. They sell, which is something that BlackBerry hasn't been able to say about much of their offerings lately. So they're supposed to not sell them anymore because the OP thinks they're too 90's? Are styluses too 90's too? Tell that to Samsung and the Note 3.

BBM Stickers... so it's late, but BlackBerry shouldn't implement them because they should have done it from the start? There's just no winning with the OP, it sounds like, though I agree that full emoji support should be implemented in SMS.

I honestly don't know why someone reliant on the Q10 and the keyboard would buy a Z30. It's the opposite experience. I don't use my Z30 for much media consumption, but I know that that's what it's meant for. It's been great for me, I've got the Z10, Z30 and Q10. I spend more time marveling at all the sites the BB10 browser can effortlessly load than I do nitpicking about where the Settings are...
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-01-14 02:17 PM
    Unfortunately does shortcomings in the OS and browser will be there for you when you get a new Q10 too...

Just saying.
    Admorris and kbz1960 like this.
    04-01-14 02:25 PM
    I had a Q10 that I absolutely loved, but the W key stopped working. I decided to pony up for a Z30, since I'd been curious about it.

After a couple days of playing around with it, I'm going to return it and get another Q10. The flaws in BB10 (10.2.1.whatever) that I am willing to overlook because of the advantages of a physical keyboard are frustratingly impossible to ignore on a touchscreen device.

BlackBerry needs to get their **** together! There are so many details off throughout the OS that are just unacceptable in a phone these days. Inconsistencies, weird bugs, missing features, etc.

Swiping down in the browser does not bring up the settings menu like the tutorial says it should (yes, I know where it is, but why isn't it where every other program is?!), amongst other weird half-baked implementations of their own UI. The browser itself, while great, hasn't been touched since they launched BB10 - it needs to be refined.

They need to be focusing on making only a few phones a year, BBM for mobile, the operating system, and core apps. That's it.

BBM for desktop is a ludicrous idea, the MockIt! idea is absolutely unnecessary, making device-specific docks is very 90s, updating through carriers needs to go away, I could go on.

Stickers for BBM is cute, but it's basically what their emoji implementation should have been from the start. And where is full emoji support in regular SMS, BTW?!

If it weren't for the keyboard on the Q10, I'd be on a Nexus 5 with either the CyanogenMod or Paranoid Android ROMs.

C'mon, BlackBerry. Get it together.

End rant.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't read any of the other posts just read yours and REPLIED with how I felt, and the feeling is mutual, everyone here keeps blaming the user. Why would we stick with blackberry on to get blamed, where are the CRITICAL articles? Everyone just barfs up other BBRY news all over the internet and reposts it, but wait case-sale for you old a** torch -- TODAY ONLY.

Anyway getting to the point I too started with z10 bought at full price! around 700 bucks from FIDO , who now doesn't even carry BBRY -- wonder what the FIDO dollars will be spent on :|

- Notifications - vibe 3 short CAL, vibe 1 short BBM, vibe 1 long EMAIL, vibe continous PHONE, no vibe just light MSN, OTHER (amazing didn't need to take out of pocket to know what it was)
    - Profiles - seriously?!?!? I'm in SILENT because at work, now my parents call me saying they are in an accident - MISSED CALL WTF?! THIS IS HUGE, old BBRY had contact override - level 1 alerts-- no wonder coroporate/gov't wont switch!!
    -KB repeat delay setting?! Double typing on the q10 why can I set how long before space. Repeats. Because writing an. Email like. This. Is annoying.

Everyone just tells you to jump off a cliff, later man, just go - we don't care. The old CB support forums are gone. Even blaze renamed someone's thread and then locked it. Like that's good Blackberry PR, but apparently articles and spinning stock reports is all that's good here.

I had a 7290 and started (joined in 2008) posting recently couldn't take it anymore
    04-01-14 02:31 PM
    Browser Settings are accessed the same way that Hub Settings are.
    I agree it would be more natural for it to be at top like other apps, but I prefer how the Browser is currently.
    Swiping down in Browser reveals the current page description at top. Tapping that bar at the top takes you to top of page. Very handy imo.
    I didn't know about the tap after the swipe down. I always felt that page Description was a bit cumbersome. I always bring up the keyboard in the browser and use it as a BlackBerry of old!
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-01-14 02:59 PM
    I understand what you mean. But that argument doesn't change when you swap your Z30 for a Q10. So I don't see the connection

I think the OP is saying he'd ditch BlackBerry 10 altogether except he needs the physical QWERTY KB enough not to.
    04-01-14 03:08 PM
    I think you need a snickers.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-14 06:23 PM
    I think you need a snickers.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah you're not you when you're hungry bro

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960, Carl Estes and BB_Junky like this.
    04-01-14 06:25 PM

The inconsistencies of where you find "settings" is super annoying. Even worse on the apps.
    04-04-14 12:30 PM
    I look at the glass as half full.

I too got a BB10 the other day (Q10) and I am returning it. Not because the Q10 was bad, but because the screen is too small now that I have many android apps running on it. And I think the OS is half-baked to some degree, definitely not as crisp as the HTC Sense 6 in my HTC One M7 (yes, a Sense 6 leaked ROM)

However, I tend to look at the innovations BB was able to put into the OS, such as the Hub, full browser, gestures, android runtime, etc... and I think to myself that this actually is a well thought out OS - to be able to run both on a qwerty device and an all touch device. I'm quite impressed.

If only Sprint carried the Z30... too bad
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-04-14 04:01 PM
    I am similarly migrating to the Z30 from the Q10. I can't say I love the BBX as much as I did with the Q. The OS seems designed for keyboards.

But I switched for the usb-OTG functionality, the Paratek antenna, and standard pixel layout of the OLD screen (the pentile, diamond layout on the Q10 was giving me headaches and nausea).

The build quality isn't as good either. Some things are better. Some things aren't exploited, such as the enormous tiles in the file manager app.

The Q10 is a better phone, all around, I'm. But we'll see how I feel in a week or so. Then i'll write up a review.

p.s. This took 10 times longer to write with a virtual keyboard (though it still trounced the iPhone keyboard).
    04-04-14 04:37 PM
    Z30 is the best smartphone I've ever owned. Hope you find a device that works best for you. Good luck!

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    ibpluto likes this.
    04-04-14 04:41 PM
    Z30 is the best smartphone I've ever owned. Hope you find a device that works best for you. Good luck!

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    How do you shortcut to the top or bottom of a page? It was t and b on the q10.

BBX is made for keyboards.
    04-04-14 04:43 PM
    I think the OP is saying he'd ditch BlackBerry 10 altogether except he needs the physical QWERTY KB enough not to.
    Indeed
    04-04-14 05:01 PM
    Good luck on your search!!

Sent flawlessly from my Z30!
    Last edited by BB_Junky; 04-04-14 at 05:23 PM.
    04-04-14 05:10 PM
    How do you shortcut to the top or bottom of a page? It was t and b on the q10.

BBX is made for keyboards.
    Elite1's post tells how to get to the top.
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-04-14 05:16 PM
    And here I was thinking this was an April Fools post.

I know not everything is perfect on the device. But somethings just grow on you, no?
    Elite1 likes this.
    04-04-14 05:23 PM
    Elite1's post tells how to get to the top.
    I'm truly curious. How is it done?

Nvm, I read it. But that's only in the browser. Not every scrolled list that isn't searchable.
    04-04-14 05:30 PM
27 12