I wonder if I can do this, because in some weeks I'm going to take up Z30 and I'm too lazy to set it up again from the very beginning. Has anyone done it?

Posted via Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    12-09-13 02:34 PM
    I wonder if I can do this, because in some weeks I'm going to take up Z30 and I'm too lazy to set it up again from the very beginning. Has anyone done it?
    Should be able to use LINK and the SWITCH DEVICES feature.

That said some have had issues just restoring the same device..... There are lots of owners here that have both devices in question, maybe they have tried it and can let you know how it worked out for them.
    12-09-13 02:43 PM
    I was able to do this recently. Really, the biggest problem was getting the Z10 backed up in the first place, since Link can be kinda hit or miss.

I also updated the Z30 OS before restoring, since out of the box it wasn't the latest available from my carrier which the Z10 was already upgraded too. But Link will tell you if you try restoring from a higher to lower OS version.

But otherwise, no major issues. I restored from a full backup and all my apps were reinstalled. All the accounts (email, fb, twitter, etc) need to be re-authenticated, of course. In the Contacts app a lot of my links were broken, but most of them were grouped together much more accurately than way back with 10.0.

Posted via CB10
    justkonyen and Xoma like this.
    12-09-13 05:08 PM
    I tried doing this this past weekend with link for Mac. Link kept crashing... I ended up going for a clean. manual install with contact x to transfer my contacts

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:39 PM
    I was able to do this recently. Really, the biggest problem was getting the Z10 backed up in the first place, since Link can be kinda hit or miss.

I also updated the Z30 OS before restoring, since out of the box it wasn't the latest available from my carrier which the Z10 was already upgraded too. But Link will tell you if you try restoring from a higher to lower OS version.

But otherwise, no major issues. I restored from a full backup and all my apps were reinstalled. All the accounts (email, fb, twitter, etc) need to be re-authenticated, of course. In the Contacts app a lot of my links were broken, but most of them were grouped together much more accurately than way back with 10.0.

Posted via CB10
    how were you able to do it? link keeps aborting the restore...its frustrating
    12-14-13 08:26 AM
    Just did it yesterday. It was super easy. Make sure you have the latest BlackBerry Link. Go to BlackBerry.com and double check. Then back up old phone first on BlackBerry Link. Then put your sim card in your new z30 and connect it. Then it will prompt you to connect your old z10 (with out sim in it). Then connect your z30. ---- simple

Posted via CB10
    sharma6 likes this.
    12-14-13 12:19 PM
    Just did it yesterday. It was super easy. Make sure you have the latest BlackBerry Link. Go to BlackBerry.com and double check. Then back up old phone first on BlackBerry Link. Then put your sim card in your new z30 and connect it. Then it will prompt you to connect your old z10 (with out sim in it). Then connect your z30. ---- simple

Posted via CB10
    i did it exactly the way you explained, still it aborts it every time....kind of a drag
    12-14-13 12:36 PM
    i did it exactly the way you explained, still it aborts it every time....kind of a drag
    Mine didn't work. Link kept crashing. Had to load up fresh :s

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:03 PM
    Worked great for me once the z30 was at a higher os than the z10 backup. A few icons had to get rearranged.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:12 PM
    I backed up my Verizon Z10 (on their 10.1 os) and restored the backup to my Verizon Z30 (on their stock 10.2 os).

Worked fine other than I had to side load the Facebook social connect system file since it wouldn't recognize that it was installed. Kept saying install Facebook from BlackBerry World to enable notifications.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 01:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Please note, both phones had 10.2.0.429 and I connected both of my phones at once to my laptop with 2 data cords.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 02:52 AM

Posted via Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1055
    Just use Fire Chest, works brilliantly!!! Works much better then link and let's you choose what to back up and what to restore.
    I recently switched from my Z10 to the 30 and all I used was FireChest didn't need anything else.

Check out Fire Chest Backup in BlackBerry World! You can find it at http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/37188889

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    Attachment 230087
    FireChestApps likes this.
    12-15-13 03:19 AM
    I backed up with Link my Z10 and restored to the new Z30. Worked like a charm. I also got to keep Cut the rope since its not available for the Z30.
    12-16-13 02:05 PM