Hi all, hope everyone is ok!

obviously i own the best device in the world (blackberry z30) The battery on my phone now with heavy usage is getting between 8-12 hour which is abismal and not what it use to be!

I had been charging my phone for a while with the playbook charger, i am not sure that this would be the cause, but i dont think it would have been good for the battery... and also i have the device pretty muc since release, so maybe general usage etc might have led to this.

I found a replacement battery part on ebay. I am in the UK with a UK model of the blackberry z30 (sta100-2) and this part is from America. Would anybody know if this part is compatible with a UK model of the Z30? It is official OEM, but im not sure if international models might differ slightly still.

NEW BLACKBERRY BAT-50136-101 Z30 BATTERY & MIDDLE FRAME HOUSING | eBay

I built my own computer a long time ago, so having said that I wouldnt mind giving this a go if it isnt super complicated! if anyone has opened their device up or even carried out this procedure, do you think it is ok to do? or would this be something you most definitely would not try?

Which screwdriver would I need to purchase for this, and of course, I will back up my device! and I cant see how this would affect my data, but would replacing the battery unit cause a factory reset by any chance?

Thanks all!
    04-03-15 10:41 AM
    This video shows a screen replacement but he further shows how to remove battery. Worth taking a look at for informational purposes.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-03-15 10:50 AM
    Thank you!!! that was very very helpful.. and seems simple enough!

As for compatibility of the part in the link I provided. Would this battery be universal, so for any Z30 out there?
    04-03-15 11:02 AM
    I would think it's compatible but couldn't say for sure. I'm sure someone else here will chime in with an answer soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 11:39 AM
    Have you reviewed Device Monitor and seen any particular apps or processes that are using the Battery. Also press the CPU tab at the bottom and check those value.

I know certain aspects of the Verizon Z30 are different since it permits Qi (wireless) charging but don't know if its battery is different.
    eac9336 likes this.
    04-03-15 03:19 PM
    All models exclusive of 100-3 should be compatible but if you wanted to convert then I think the battery housing for the Verizon / wireless charging phones may be unique to that model but one should be able to switch out a board and screen from the non wireless to a wireless and the other way also.
    If your battery life just suddenly nosedived then it's most likely something on your phone that is causing this drain. So as suggested and check thoroughly through device monitor.
    I had one that has some water damage and the battery actually was the one piece that showed the greatest effect so I switched it out and it's been flawless since. You will have to peel the sticker that contains imei and pin off from the existing one and place on new battery housing if you do end up replacing too.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 04:41 PM
    OP. I wouldn't use the PlayBook charger to charge anything other than the PlayBook itself. The charger puts out 1.8 amp and the stock z30 charger puts out 1.3 amp. The higher charge rate causes irreversible damage that gradually shortens your battery life. Indeed from my experience, the slower the charge rate the better. For both my Z30 and my wife's Passport, I haven't used the stock charger even once. I use the old Torch chargers that put out 850ma. It takes a bit longer to charge, but the batteries stay cool while being charge.

Posted via CB10
    HUD199 likes this.
    04-03-15 10:30 PM
    OP. I wouldn't use the PlayBook charger to charge anything other than the PlayBook itself. The charger puts out 1.8 amp and the stock z30 charger puts out 1.3 amp. The higher charge rate causes irreversible damage that gradually shortens your battery life. Indeed from my experience, the slower the charge rate the better. For both my Z30 and my wife's Passport, I haven't used the stock charger even once. I use the old Torch chargers that put out 850ma. It takes a bit longer to charge, but the batteries stay cool while being charge.

Posted via CB10

While you may be right that lower and slower is easier on overall battery life and health, the Playbook charger is still sold as the Premium charger by BB themselves. Now that may mean that they are trying to burn out our phones in hopes of selling the next model (ha!) but I'd hope that the battery and charging circuits are designed to handle the faster charger.
    04-04-15 12:26 AM
    Hi all! Thank you so much for your helpful comments!!

I had a good look at the device monitor, battery as well as CPU usage. All appears to be running properly. I did have a problem in the past with an app that was draining my battery although it is no longer installed. And I did look for any apps using a similar amount of battery/cpu and couldn't find any... all looks OK.

I took the plunge and purchased the battery as well as a few opening tools, so I'm gonna give this a go as I really want to restore the old battery life I had! Especially as there is nothing else wrong with the phone.. externally and internally!

Who knows precisely what caused the problem... Maybe a combination of high powered chargers plus an ageing phone... I have heard conflicting opinions on the use of high current chargers... some claiming damage, some claiming faster charging and no damage... I have no idea!

But I do have the original charger back, and hopefully once battery is replaced ( if I don't destroy my phone) then things might return to normal!

Will keep you all updated!!!

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 02:15 AM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=btp2iClb
    Advertised for BlackBerry Smartphones and PlayBook. Called BlackBerry Premium Charger. I've been using it exclusively on my Z10 but have been swapping between 2 batteries for 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:13 AM
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=GeJAsvW3
    Advertised for BlackBerry Smartphones and PlayBook. Called BlackBerry Premium Charger. I've been using it exclusively on my Z10 but have been swapping between 2 batteries for 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    The business objective of Shop BlackBerry is to get rid of the PlayBook charger that no one wants.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 09:26 AM
    Here's a warning... there's a "tape" holding the battery in..... it's really really strong... try to work the edges slowly first.... the battery is the hardest part
    FF22 likes this.
    04-04-15 09:32 AM
    I used the premium chargers exclusively since the pb came out. My batteries have never been a problem. And every phone I've passed out to others to use.

Having said that the Z10 battery was a regular problem but it tended to be over that fact the battery was replaceable and had contact issues.

What you say seems to male sense. But if you never use the pb battery and only the 850 chargers, how would you know without trying?

BB Proud
    04-04-15 10:26 AM
    Here's a warning... there's a "tape" holding the battery in..... it's really really strong... try to work the edges slowly first.... the battery is the hardest part
    The part I purchased includes the rear housing too, so I think I'll just have to transfer the motherboard over plus. The screen....

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:10 PM

What you say seems to male sense. But if you never use the pb battery and only the 850 chargers, how would you know without trying?

BB Proud
    You do whatever you think is right for you. I am merely sharing my observation on the matter raised by OP and other posters. And I don't really need to ruin my phone batteries to prove my point. I have had plenty experience on my other batteries being ruined.

My rechargeable AA's were doing fine with regular charger. Then 15 min changing was too tempting. Put them on the rapid charger, the batteries were too hot to touch when being charged. Their lives get shorten so rapidly that after less than 20 charges, they won't even hold a charge.

For my PlayBook, the magnetic contact of the rapid charger looked too cool to pass up on. Used it a few time, I noticed the battery life is getting shorter and the battery was hot when being charged. I instantly stopped using it. Comparing to the battery of my wife's PlayBook, mine lasts half as long and she uses hers more.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 09:56 PM