I just spent an hour with BB tech support to try to access files on my laptop using my Z30 using Remote File Access (RFA). Apparently you must be on the same wifi account on both devices. So this means that if you are out of town you cannot connect to your home office computer? And you can 't connect over the internet either? If so, it sounds like RFA should be called "Local File Access", not "Remote File Access". Am I getting this right?
    12-17-13 10:09 AM
    Yep, you have to be connected to the same WiFi network. Sounds like you need to setup a VPN connection.
    12-17-13 10:16 AM
    you can do it.

you need to goto settings -> blackberry link -> use mobile network

rfa doesn't always work though.

but i find that if i toggle wifi on/off or mobile network on/off it seems to get it working.
    flyingsolid likes this.
    12-17-13 10:23 AM
    You do NOT need to be on the same network. It is available via internet or mobile network. I have a home server and office server paired on my Z10 and I use it every day. It is an awesome tool when traveling for business. Your computer obviously must be turned on and you must be logged in to BlackBerry link on the paired computer. Link does not have to be running however.

It can be a little quirky to get setup at first, but it works great. Also, every now and then I have to toggle off BlackBerry Link in settings and turn airplane mode on/off for it to reset itself.

Once caveat, I have heard people having issues using it over certain mobile networks from time to time. I am on AT&T and have had no such issues.
    00stryder and m1kr0 like this.
    12-17-13 10:26 AM
    Where is everyone getting so much misinformation about Remote File Access?
    12-17-13 10:28 AM
    Not necessarily true, but since you mentioned the Z30, would you happen to be on Verizon? If so, then for us VZW users, yes we have to be on the same wifi network. Other networks (i.e. GSM-based networks) are able to access via external networks (either wifi or cellular). It's a limitation with the CDMA technology that prevents data and cellular traffic from transfer over the same radio bands.

On previous versions of BlackBerry Link, you could actually get RFA to work on a separate network if you disabled the mobile network and connect via wifi. I don't think it works anymore though.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:32 AM
    I had some trouble getting it to work also.
    Once I installed 10.2.x on my Z10 and the latest version of BB Link on my PC's it works great. I can now access my files at home and work right from my phone. Just yesterday a colleague needed me to send him a file, but I wasn't in the office. I opened up my email on the phone and attached the file from my work PC. Within a few minutes it was in his inbox.
    OBTW... I am on Verizon.
    LP_Rigg and David in Durham like this.
    12-17-13 10:35 AM
    Where is everyone getting so much misinformation about Remote File Access?
    I think it's a misunderstanding about Link's diminished functionality over the last few version updates. RFA is a lot more spotty now than it was initially, and I guess people that didn't use it before didn't know how powerful it can be when Link does decide that it wants to work.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 10:35 AM
    I had some trouble getting it to work also.
    Once I installed 10.2.x on my Z10 and the latest version of BB Link on my PC it works great. I can now access my files at home and work right from my phone. Just yesterday a colleague needed me to send him a file, but I wasn't in the office. I opened up my email on the phone and attached the file from my work PC. Within a few minutes it was in his inbox.
    OBTW... I am on Verizon.
    Great use-case for RFA! I love that functionality as well. Just make sure you're on wifi when trying to access bigger files though!

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg likes this.
    12-17-13 10:36 AM
    I am on the latest Link version and 10.2.1.1055 and my stability has actually improved dramatically. Early Link editions proved very unreliable for me. I think RFA with its built in peer-to-peer tunnel manager is one of BB10's best features that is not mentioned enough.
    12-17-13 10:41 AM
    And here I was about to say for me RFA has only ever increased in stability and reliability with each update...
    I have no knowledge of the CDMA issue mentioned before, but 'in general' RFA is set up so you can access it anywhere you have a data connection, mobile and wifi.
    What you do need to be on the same network for is syncing your device to BBLink. Doing this makes your phone's memory accessible through your pc, like the exact reverse of what RFA does.
    ...Link's diminished functionality over the last few version updates. RFA is a lot more spotty now than it was initially...

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    00stryder likes this.
    12-17-13 10:44 AM
    I use a real time cloud backup that I can access my files from anywhere using the Files and Folders app. Has worked great the past 6 months without a problem.
    12-17-13 10:53 AM
    I just spent an hour with BB tech support to try to access files on my laptop using my Z30 using Remote File Access (RFA). Apparently you must be on the same wifi account on both devices. So this means that if you are out of town you cannot connect to your home office computer? And you can 't connect over the internet either? If so, it sounds like RFA should be called "Local File Access", not "Remote File Access". Am I getting this right?
    No there is no need to be on the same wifi because I have used my mobile and access to pc from my fiends wifi 30 km away from my house many times

Posted via CB10
    12-17-13 11:02 AM
    Nope you do not need to be on the same wifi network. Just choose to use the Mobile Network as per diagram below

Remote file access - must you be on the same wifi??-remote.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Remote file access - must you be on the same wifi??-remote.jpg  
    ATMJOE likes this.
    12-17-13 11:04 AM
    No need to be on the same Wifi. My z10 on my home wifi and my pc at work, using work wifi...I can access all files on the go. I can even access using mobile network (be careful with your data plan!)

Middux
    12-17-13 11:21 AM
    Posted via CB10

Edit: I have no idea why the CB10 app just randomly posted this blank message....
    Last edited by 00stryder; 12-17-13 at 02:12 PM.
    12-17-13 11:37 AM
    I can confirm that on VERIZON I can not connect over mobile network at all. It ALWAYS Works when on the same wifi.

Since 10.2.1... I can not even connect over remote wifi with cell data turned off which would work previously.

I upgraded link and os around the same time so I'm not sure which caused this.

It really sucks because I find myself wanting this ability all the time and before 10.2 I used it over wifi all the time. If it worked on mobile like it's supposed to it would be amazing.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 06:36 AM
    I'm on verizon with 10.2.1.1259 os and I'm able to check my pc files at home while at work using Mobile data with no wifi on the phone. Make sure use mobile network is turned on under BlackBerry Link menu on the phone

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 08:52 AM
    Remote file access - must you be on the same wifi??-img_20131223_095322.png

For those who don't believe me

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 08:53 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131223_095322.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	232696

For those who don't believe me

Posted via CB10
    I see you are using a mac. Could you confirm it works on a pc? Obviously I have mobile turned on in link settings, it will not show folders until I enter range of my home wifi. My pc is not behind any firewalls either. I have tried everything to get this to work. Before I moved to 10.2 I could get it to work sometimes but it was flakey at best.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 09:10 AM
    I see you are using a mac. Could you confirm it works on a pc? Obviously I have mobile turned on in link settings, it will not show folders until I enter range of my home wifi. My pc is not behind any firewalls either. I have tried everything to get this to work. Before I moved to 10.2 I could get it to work sometimes but it was flakey at best.

Posted via CB10
    Yes one pc and two mac books. All are working fine link

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 10:07 AM
    Give your pc a restart... link will always work initially after booting up... then dwindle until it needs another reboot

Kah
    12-23-13 10:23 AM
    I have not been able to make this work. It does not connect to link at wireless either for RFA or media. Are there any settings in Windows 7 that need to be adjusted? Link is the most frustrating piece of software.
    12-23-13 11:24 AM
    Give your pc a restart... link will always work initially after booting up... then dwindle until it needs another reboot

Kah
    Nope it absolutely will not work for me over mobile, and never has. It used to work over remote wifi if I turned my mobile data off,but after updating link and my os it will not work. As soon as I pull into my driveway and my phone connects to my network my pc no longer says (offline) and I can view my files.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 12:15 PM
    Nope it absolutely will not work for me over mobile, and never has. It used to work over remote wifi if I turned my mobile data off,but after updating link and my os it will not work. As soon as I pull into my driveway and my phone connects to my network my pc no longer says (offline) and I can view my files.

Posted via CB10
    It's still so hard to diagnose the issues. I'm on VZ with PCs as well. When I first loaded 1055 Link worked like a charm. WiFi (both same and different networks), No WiFi (just VZ network) - it just worked. Then I had to reload the OS for other reasons. Link didn't come back. For about three weeks, no Link. I saw my PCs on the Link screen on my BB, but got an error when trying to view in File Manager. On Link on my PCs, no matter how many times I logged in/out/in, it always said there was no BB10.1 associated device. Then about a week ago, it started working again (WiFi and no WiFi) - I made absolutely no changes on my side. Loaded 1259 a couple days ago and it still works. I imagine it will stop again some time soon though (it always seems to).
    12-23-13 12:23 PM
33 12