07-23-13 02:23 PM
32 12
tools
    The right choice is 1080p. You need people buying the phone before you have devs making apps

Posted via CB10
    JR A likes this.
    07-16-13 11:47 PM
    The right choice is 1080p. You need people buying the phone before you have devs making apps

Posted via CB10
    So you would rather BlackBerry sell a 1080p phone with no apps for the sake of having a 1080p that isn't much different on a screen that size anyway? Makes no sense to me. It will be bloggers that will have negative reviews because of a 720p screen but no where near the flack they would take for releasing a phone with a 1080p with no apps and a bunch of ticked off developers that you've worked hard to build relationships with. I've seen some 720p TVs that look better than some 1080p TVs so I know on a phone it's not a big deal. Everyone is making a big fuss over 1080 but it's not a big deal, apps however is. Can't step over a dollar to pick up a shinny nickle. This is going into the "phablet" market anyway where there isn't much competition anyway so as long as the screen looks nice, they can get away with it. Now the next gen z10s, q10s, and whatever else I can see but the most important thing is getting bb10 established as it is new. Gotta have a lil foreplay before you just dive in it.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 12:58 AM

Posted via CB10
    No, the right choice is 720.
    Blackberry's problem is trying to convince sales associates to push bb10.

Unfortunately, consumers trust the SAs. If they think BlackBerry devices will cause more issues post-sale, or that explaining BB10 will kill the sale, they will suggest another option. That's honestly all its going to take. Trying to instill faith in the SAs.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 01:20 AM
    Eventually yes, but as I said in my first post, BlackBerry 10 is less than a year old, as is that promise. Now would be a very bad time to turn around on the promise.
    They broke a promise with millions of users of the Playbook, I guess breaking a promise with a few hundreds of developers is irrelevant. This phone needs 1080p, just think in the comparisons with the S4 and the HTC One.
    07-17-13 01:24 AM
    The video of the "A10" that has leaked is clearly not a 1280 x 720 (or 768) display. There's room for a fifth row of icons. Maybe even five and a half rows. That is NOT the same as the Z10 - it's more than 1280 lines.
    That is a good point. Still my first impression was different, figuring that the Pixel density is scaling the UI element to be proportional to Z10- but with larger pixels. You might be more right tho [which would be awesome].

Wait an see i guess- but I have my Z10 to use right now.

I don't think the A10 as we call it will fail either....but I am much more curious about 2014 roadmap. I hope Marketing gets on the ball too.
    07-17-13 05:21 AM
    It's called the mass consumer... which looks at numbers and bigger is better! do you know how many people tell me my phone isn't good because it doesn't have a quad core, 1080p screen,13mp camera? A LOT...

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 03:13 PM
    No, the right choice is 720.
    Blackberry's problem is trying to convince sales associates to push bb10.

Unfortunately, consumers trust the SAs. If they think BlackBerry devices will cause more issues post-sale, or that explaining BB10 will kill the sale, they will suggest another option. That's honestly all its going to take. Trying to instill faith in the SAs.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, and sales associates are NOT going to sell a phone that costs the same amount of money as other premium devices that have a "Full" HD display. There is no real differentiating factor to buy an A10 over a Z10.

The apps issue pertains to BlackBerry10 in general. Once someone gets over that issue (or maybe it's not even an issue for them in the first place) they then have the choice between between the A10 and Z10. 00.70" more screen for twice as much money (I presume $200 on subsidy, vs. $100 that AT&T is now charging for a new Z10) is NOT going to get sales associates excited to push that sale because they know it's a losing battle.

I have two friends who are store managers in malls in the Silicon Valley, one for AT&T and the other for Verizon, as well as several more friends who work at said stores who are sales reps. Admittedly, all of them said it would be difficult to try and push BB10 in the first place, and even if the customer wanted BB10, it would be a hard sell to convince someone to buy the more expensive A10 over the Z10, given similar specs.

Again, the only differentiating factor that we know of is a 5" screen vs a 4.2" screen. However, if the customer does decide an A10 over the Z10, then it's another battle royale between S4 and even the HTC One.

This phone is a tough sell.

But let's assume for a minute that the app developers do make all the great apps for the A10 at 720p resolution. The sales rep then has to really convince a consumer to spend $200 (on contract) for a phone that delivers the same apps, but at a lower resolution compared to the Samsung S4 and HTC One.

What the hell is a sales rep's selling point? The lack of home button and Peek/Hub? Give me a break. That **** only amazes a very small market. No one out in the mainstream world away from CB really cares about gestures or how they can peek into a unified inbox. They want a nice phone that can do what they want it to do, with or without a home button. So to put out a flagship phone, at a flagship cost, with sub-flagship specs, that says, "Pick me! I'm different! I don't have a home button! You can swipe to the right and peek into a unified inbox!" isn't going to sell, even if it offers the same apps available on other flagship devices, especially when other flagship devices offer those same apps and more with a better looking screen.

Think about it, really, what does BB10 have as a selling point? All BB10 has going for them is: Lack of a home button, gesture navigation, unified inbox that can be "peeked" into from within an app... Seriously, you REALLY think any "normal" consumer out there in the real world is going to spend top dollar for THAT?! But now all of a sudden they'll sell because now its the same thing but in a 5" package, but at a lower resolution. Yeah, those will REALLY sell... I can see it now... developers rushing to their computers to type out code for the HUGE demand on those phones...

Give me a break... No rep is going to try to overcome those objections when it's so much easier to sell a similarly priced product that the customer is more familiar with; gives them the apps they need; and does it with a better looking display. If you don't believe me, go spend 1 hour on a sales floor at any major carrier store in the US. It's a tough sell.
    Last edited by JR A; 07-23-13 at 02:40 PM.
    07-23-13 02:23 PM
32 12