I currently own several smartphones and they all have their positives and negatives. The one I like the best is my Blackberry Z10. The main issue I have with it is that the screen is smaller than I'd like.

I've been considering getting myself a Z30, but have been worried about the lack of pixel density on the screen. It seems a bit low for a screen that size, and I wanted to know what Z30 users think about it.

I'd especially appreciate it if someone who has had one or more of the phones listed below could compare the Z30 screen to them.

(Unfortunately, all the CellPhone stores around where I live don't have Z30's for me to look at).

---------------------

Here's the list of what I have:

1) Blackberry Z10 -- 4.2" screen -- 355 PPI
    2) Nokia Lumia 920 -- 4.5" screen -- 332 PPI
    3) HTC 8X -- 4.3" screen -- 342 PPI
    4) Lenovo K900 -- 5.5" screen -- 401 PPI
    5) Nokia N9 -- 3.9" screen -- 251 PPI (this is the only phone which I find lacking in the screen department)
    ------
    5) Blackberry Z30 -- 5.0" screen -- 294 PPI

As you can see from the list, the Z30 has sinificantly less pixel density than the other phones I have (apart from the N9). I know that pixel density is not the be-all and end-all of screen quality, but it can be distracting if it's not good enough. Also, the Z30 has an AMOLED screen, so that can make a difference - I love the AMOLED screen on the N9, but don't like the pixelation.

The plan of course, is to go down to one phone. I love the BB10 interface enough to commit to it, but the Z10 screen is just not big enough for me.

So, if you can share your thoughts with me on the Z30 screen, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
    chrispmoto likes this.
    03-22-14 10:28 AM
    I currently own several smartphones and they all have their positives and negatives. The one I like the best is my Blackberry Z10. The main issue I have with it is that the screen is smaller than I'd like.

I've been considering getting myself a Z30, but have been worried about the lack of pixel density on the screen. It seems a bit low for a screen that size, and I wanted to know what Z30 users think about it.

I'd especially appreciate it if someone who has had one or more of the phones listed below could compare the Z30 screen to them.

(Unfortunately, all the CellPhone stores around where I live don't have Z30's for me to look at).

---------------------

Here's the list of what I have:

1) Blackberry Z10 -- 4.2" screen -- 355 PPI
    2) Nokia Lumia 920 -- 4.5" screen -- 332 PPI
    3) HTC 8X -- 4.3" screen -- 342 PPI
    4) Lenovo K900 -- 5.5" screen -- 401 PPI
    5) Nokia N9 -- 3.9" screen -- 251 PPI (this is the only phone which I find lacking in the screen department)
    ------
    5) Blackberry Z30 -- 5.0" screen -- 294 PPI

As you can see from the list, the Z30 has sinificantly less pixel density than the other phones I have (apart from the N9). I know that pixel density is not the be-all and end-all of screen quality, but it can be distracting if it's not good enough. Also, the Z30 has an AMOLED screen, so that can make a difference - I love the AMOLED screen on the N9, but don't like the pixelation.

The plan of course, is to go down to one phone. I love the BB10 interface enough to commit to it, but the Z10 screen is just not big enough for me.

So, if you can share your thoughts with me on the Z30 screen, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
    You could discuss this all day, the problem is everyone has diff eyesight, but with my eyes and I had aZ10 now the Z30 I can't tell the difference. The Z30 has a great screen you will love this phone.
    03-22-14 10:33 AM
    Slff-

That's exactly why I asked this question. I don't really have a preference between the screens on the first four phones listed above. The only one that's not up to par is the N9. I was worried because the Z30 screen is closer to the N9 in PPI than any of the others.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    anon721037 likes this.
    03-22-14 10:41 AM
    I had a z10 and currently have an s4 and z30. The z10 and the s4 are brighter in regular light, but the z30 somehow works better in direct sunlight. I also don't notice a difference in the screens pixel density, but i suffer from a slight stigmatism, so the fine details are a blur anyway. I like it because i can increase the font size and still have a good amount of text on the screen.

Z30 on leaked 10.2.1.2102
    yohannrjm likes this.
    03-22-14 10:47 AM
    I upgraded from the Z10 to get Z30 I admit I had a little screen shock. It's not as good. Period. But what is good really mean? The Z10 screen is remarkably clear but runs hot and burns through battery life like *$!# through a goose. The Z30 screen is totally different. Nothing incredible but HD. Colours seems more saturated and vibrant. Runs relatively cool to the touch and boosts battery performance up to 40% over the Z10. At least in my case. Results will vary of course. I am in no way, shape or form disappointed with anything with this phone, well maybe except the volume rocker design. Go for it!

Posted via CB10
    03-22-14 11:08 AM
    I don't own any of the phones you mentioned but I have never been distracted by pixelation. The screen isn't super bright and doesn't grab you like some of the more vibrant screen I have seen. It functions well and looks great to my eyes.

I have had the z30 since mid October and am still happy to stand behind this phone.

Posted via my Z30
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    03-22-14 12:33 PM
    I think the z30 screen is better than the z10. it's not as bright as the z10. there are apps that turns the screen brightness higher and you can really see that there is no contest between the z10 screen.
    03-22-14 01:59 PM
    keep your Z10 and wait for blackberry to release another device
    03-22-14 08:41 PM
    Agree with the 2nd floor, it depends on your eye sight. For me if my Z30 is put side by side with a Note 3, I can clearly see Note 3 has better screen. But if it's just my Z30, I am perfectly happy with it.
    03-23-14 03:56 AM
    I have had three z30's and have sold them all to folks who just had to have the device after they played with mine and after I showed them how intuitive OS10 is.

I do notice the pixelation, but I feel the screen is just fine for what I use the device for. The screen is bright, the text is clear and the color is nice. Everyone that I have sold a z30, loves the device and that's all that counts.

I am currently using a Note 3 to test and review for a products rating company and I will post my opinion of the device and how it stacks up against the z30 after I have used it for a week.

The first two things I have noticed is the Android keyboard sucks compared to the BlackBerry keyboard and the screen on the Note 3 is much better then the one on the z30 in terms of resolution, color and it just pops. Hey, it's just what I see and I am person who tells it like it is. More to come.

Sent from my SM-N900T using CB Forums mobile app
    yohannrjm likes this.
    03-23-14 05:53 AM
    bakron1 -

The Blackberry keyboard is amazing. That's one of the main reasons why I use the Z10 as my main phone, even though I have all those other phones around.

Thanks to everyone who posted here. I will probably be buying one once I've got rid of a few phones in my collection.
    03-23-14 07:28 AM
    keep your Z10 and wait for blackberry to release another device
    That was also something I'd considered. That's supposed to come this year, right?
    03-23-14 07:30 AM
    I went from z10 to z30

I love the z30 screen. No worries at all. Even using my wife's iphone5, I really can't tell the difference, except how small that screen is!

Our eyes are incredible pieces of nature, they adjust and adapt very quickly

Just think of a dark room, how hard to see until you spend some time in it, then it's much easier to see

The phone is the bomb.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 07:37 AM
    Hmm...after trolling the rumors here and elsewhere, I may just have to wait for the Z50.

It seems like it will address the one concern I have with the Z30. I'll have to buy it off-contract, so I have some time to save enough for it.
    03-23-14 09:08 AM
    Since z30 has a super ambled display, the pixels don't matter much and the screen is warmer and better to view

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 09:19 AM
    I have a z10, z30 and an iPhone. I don't notice a difference between these phones as far as pixel density. There is a difference in brightness. Z30 isn't the bright one.
    03-23-14 09:27 AM
    Hmm...after trolling the rumors here and elsewhere, I may just have to wait for the Z50.

It seems like it will address the one concern I have with the Z30. I'll have to buy it off-contract, so I have some time to save enough for it.
    Z10 is still as good as the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-14 12:07 PM
    A little late, but I currently have the Z30 coming from the Z10. The Z10 screen is top notch as far as I'm concerned. That said, the Z30 screen is darker and not as crisp as the Z10. Also, I feel colors are more accurate with the Z10. It's by no means bad, but it is what it is with SAMOLED. I believe the Z30 screen is on par with the Motorola Droid Ultra/ Maxx devices, at least specs wise. However, since it is bigger, you do pick up more background detail I've noticed. At any rate, any HD or HQ media you play on the Z30 will look great, if not just as good as the Z10. The keyboard is even better with the bigger screen, imo. I was hesitant to switch to the Z30 since I was perfectly happy with my Z10 and given all the complaints about the Z30 not being an upgrade. However, after having used the z30 myself, I'm now glad I did. The complaints about it not being much of an upgrade over the Z10 are made by those who don't actually have a Z30. Other than the screen, the Z30 is a bigger, faster version of the Z10 with a battery that will last the entire day and then some. For me, I could stretch and get almost two days out of my Z30, while my Z10 would last from 6AM to 10pm on workdays, less on weekends.

Posted via CB10
    03-27-14 09:30 PM
    The Z30 might have less pixel but the colour more than makes up for it.. not to mention the sound quality on this Z30 is really nice. It's a keeper for sure the only thing you might find is if your use to one handed operation you won't be able to with this Z30 it's just a little on the big side for that but all in all a nice quality build if you ask most owners of this device.
    I say go for it!

My extra extraordinary Z30
    03-27-14 10:42 PM
    I have recently upgraded from a z10 to a z30 and have not noticed the pixel difference at all. If I use them side by side I probably would but in every day use its not noticeable.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 06:56 AM
    I've wear glasses and contacts with prescriptions that put me better than 20/20. I see no issues with the Z30s screen but lots of people will say otherwise.

I've seen much worse screens than the Z30. All in all it would not stop me from buying the Z30 again. They're are benefits to a lower PPI screen as well that people sometimes forget (battery life in the sense that its less pixels for the GPU to push).
    03-28-14 08:18 AM