Quick look at BlackBerry Z30 & Note 3-img_0772.jpg

I'd like to point out before reading this yes obviously this is not the best comparison as the price ranges aren't the same and the Note 3 should be classified as a phablet (S4 would be better). All that aside here are a few quick observations and pros/cons of both.

Note 3 (Jellybean 4.3)

N3 pros:

- Screen quality: nice and bright even though its amoled easy for media consumption/pictures

- camera: light picked up by the sensors is good quality of the image isn't mind blowing but has no difficulties in poor light situations. More camera modes then you know what to do with. Dual video from the back and front cameras? Why does anyone need this I don't know but its there.

- Google now/playstore: Never used Google Now until now (yeah I know I'm late..) this is amazing the accuracy of this is just great. Having Playstore access is nice even though I can get it with Snap especially for the non tech savvy user.

- customization (some gimmicky some useful) - lots of setting options like having the ability to set lockscreen wallpapers and other notification settings in depth. Easy to move things around how I want them which is a plus in my books

snappy no lag - no hangups at least now but haven't loaded up much on it. Its got the horsepower to handle intense tasks.

N3 cons:

Size- personal preference but I think anyone using this for phone calls looks ********. Unusable with one hand. 4.7-5 inch is a ideal screen size IMO but I guess if you watch lots of movies or play a ton of games this would be preferable.

Build quality sucks- has fake leather back like the old legacy phones feels cheap non premium.

Battery meh expected better - probably early in device use but the battery isn't great not terrible but nothing special. Quad cores and huge screen factors into that.

Unintuitive OS - Things are all over the place but got it

holy bloatware S everything - S health, S beam, S pen, S shop, S app store, S hub.....and on and on wow I didn't realize it took up like a 1/4 of the device memory with this crap. Touchwiz is bleh I know you can remove it so that's a pro/con.

BlackBerry Z30 (10.2.1)

Z30 pros:

battery is a beast - Watched a movie on the flat screen, played music all day, CB, internet browsing, Blaq, lots of BBM's, facebook, few active frames open. Still going like a champ 53% left after 15 hours.

Build quality great - Has a much better premium feel than the Z10, heavier than comparable devices but some may think that's a pro/con

keyboard/hub - self explanatory if you need to get stuff done and be efficient there is nothing better

Speakers - Amazing speaker set on this phone. Great pure sound on a cellphone.

OS much more fluid/integrated - I found Android so cluttered everything is much more integrated on BB10 I can be in one app and go into multiple apps within the same app. (will make sense to you if you have a BB10 device)

no lag -Played graphic intensive games without issues increased dual core CPU and quad core GPU help in this regard. APK installs/lock screen actionable notifications/quick settings etc of 10.2.1

Z30 cons:

-Not enough customization (lockscreen/OS/settings) - on Android you can switch it up to just about anything you wish. This is one area just like Apple they're lacking in

-No G Play store- Personally I only run so many I have about 90% covered in BB World and the rest I've either sideloaded or direct installed with Snap but everybody always harps on APPS APPS APPS you only have X number of them. So well this would solve the dilemma in theory.

-camera subpar, features& low light performance - Its not great to be honest for a top of the line flagship model the camera features should be better.

Conclusion: while I still like the Note 3 it has a lot of positive features and aspects I still prefer the Z30. The note 3 is not my cup of tea. Doesn't mean that will be the case for you but it doesn't fit my usage needs.

So what did I learn I want to see from BlackBerry going forward that they need to change/add going forward?

Needs :

- Google now or something that has the same AI - this widget is KILLER I hardly ever use the voice control on my BlackBerry 10 devices even with the Wolfram Alpha advancements there is no comparison

- GPlay access or vetted GPlay app section in BlackBerry World (I know you can use Snap already)

- More lock screen customizations/ separate wallpaper options

- Camera features - the BB10 camera is so bare bones compared to the competition - Needs at a bare minimum panorama/enhanced low light mode/more light modes and filters

- More notification customizations like options for holster profiles

There is much more stuff I'd like to see changed but this is what I realized after using both these devices. Hope you enjoyed the quick overview of what's good and not so good about both.
    Last edited by R Field; 12-14-13 at 11:42 PM.
    12-14-13 11:04 PM
    Not a bad list, however I don't understand why people call android unintuitive. I don't have a problem with the way apps are intergrated into the Os, unlike os10 where everything seems half arsed. For example, I have to leave slick task, and bebuzz open in order to get full functionality. And push notifications for check, the score, and stocks is non existent. You can customize the note (by downloading a theme)to the point of having a hub that houses all of your email/social media accounts, im, phone calls heck you could even throw in rss news feeds. the z30 looks like a decent upgrade over the z10, however I can't think of any reasons why I would choose it over the note III (from a hardware/software pov). I like a lot of the features in 10.2...hopefully blackberry can deliver a kick ?"" device next year.

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    12-14-13 11:22 PM
    Totally agree about Google now! It's what I missed most.

I think headless apps will go a long way with bb10 as well. Just not quite there yet.

Posted via CB10
    R Field likes this.
    12-14-13 11:42 PM

I think headless apps will go a long way with bb10 as well. Just not quite there yet.

Posted via CB10
    Yup for sure. I hear from reputable sources some good stuff light low light, panorama will be added to the camera soon. Hopefully sooner than later but I guess we shall see. Be Buzz got headless app approval so he just needs to submit it again. Only app I really "need" to run headless.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | C0006E212
    12-14-13 11:46 PM
    I spent my own money on a Z10
    12-14-13 11:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm going to get a moto g just because of Google Now. I miss it soo much. It's like a stalker that is actually useful and doesn't freak you out. I have no idea why some people compare it to suri. GNow is on another level.

As for battery life on the note2 and 3... you might just need to let it settle... you should be getting more than 5 hours of screen-on time at least.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 12:03 AM
    Thanks, Rich. Nice comparisons. I've tried both and agree with the list. The Note 3 has such nice colours visually very vibrant screen.
    12-15-13 05:50 AM
    Nice objective write up.

Pretty confident panorama mode is coming soon. If you extract the 10.2.1.1055 camera bar you will find it has panorama as a menu selection, it simply isn't activated in this build.

Posted via CB10
    pmccartney, 00stryder and R Field like this.
    12-15-13 10:34 AM
    Thanks for the read

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    12-15-13 11:08 AM
    What about in a business environment ? Which one shines the most ?

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:11 AM
    I'm going to get a moto g just because of Google Now. I miss it soo much. It's like a stalker that is actually useful and doesn't freak you out. I have no idea why some people compare it to suri. GNow is on another level.

As for battery life on the note2 and 3... you might just need to let it settle... you should be getting more than 5 hours of screen-on time at least.

Posted via CB10
    If I didn't have a nexus tab I'd be sorely tempted to go back... I really like bb10 and it's potential but Google now really is must have.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 11:16 AM
    I haven't had a Note 3 but I have had an LG G2 and HTC One and so agree about the screen. Personally I never got into Google now. One of the sad things about moving back to the Z30 is that seeing how good it is reminds me how hopeless it is for BlackBerry. This sounds like a bizarre statement! But what I mean is, the build quality is vastly superior to the Android top sellers, pretty much all Android apps are available on 10.2.1 via apk. The email and messaging experiencie is vastly superior, battery like and speakers are vastly superior. Apart from the camera the Z30 beats the Android leaders in most areas. And yet in sales it's not even worth comparing, the Z30 doesn't even register on the scale. What this tells me is that there's NOTHING BlackBerry can do. They have a wonderful os and superb hardware (camera aside) they simply cannot change public perception or compete using the skewed metrics that the tech review community apply. They're like a big boulder rolling down a hill, they're going down and nothing can stop it. It's not a problem with the product, yes, they can improve the Z30, but to assume that building a better product will mean market success is, in my opinion flawed. The market isn't rational, consumer desire isn't rational.
    12-15-13 11:27 AM
    What about in a business environment ? Which one shines the most ?

Posted via CB10
    I haven't tested KNOX so can't really offer a proper review on that. My workplace doesn't have any security software in place for phones it's just BYOD. My friend who lives across from me has a Z10 as his personal and work device. They use BES10 at a major engineering company here. Balance and secured work space are really cool when you see it in action. If day to day business use is your main concern I would go with the Z30.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    12-15-13 01:12 PM
    Great points Brazen it sucks that it's the best phone nobody knows about. Sad that it doesn't have better carrier and marketing support behind it.

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1055 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    12-15-13 01:17 PM
    I haven't had a Note 3 but I have had an LG G2 and HTC One and so agree about the screen. Personally I never got into Google now. One of the sad things about moving back to the Z30 is that seeing how good it is reminds me how hopeless it is for BlackBerry. This sounds like a bizarre statement! But what I mean is, the build quality is vastly superior to the Android top sellers, pretty much all Android apps are available on 10.2.1 via apk. The email and messaging experiencie is vastly superior, battery like and speakers are vastly superior. Apart from the camera the Z30 beats the Android leaders in most areas. And yet in sales it's not even worth comparing, the Z30 doesn't even register on the scale. What this tells me is that there's NOTHING BlackBerry can do. They have a wonderful os and superb hardware (camera aside) they simply cannot change public perception or compete using the skewed metrics that the tech review community apply. They're like a big boulder rolling down a hill, they're going down and nothing can stop it. It's not a problem with the product, yes, they can improve the Z30, but to assume that building a better product will mean market success is, in my opinion flawed. The market isn't rational, consumer desire isn't rational.
    Agreed buy you have to throw lack of marketing in there.

I work with nine other people and so far three have told me they didn't even know BlackBerry made smart phones anymore.

Keyboard as fantastic as it is needs swipe too.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 03:27 PM
    I agree, but it was a very tough job. The story about the sale of the company broke as marketing for the Z30 was about to begin. I think spending big on marketing would have been like throwing cash on a forest fire in the attempt to put it out. More marketing and a more comprehensive launch could have gotten the device into more hands, and it's a great device (I wouldn't swap mine for any phone in the world) so it would have been good for word of mouth. But given the sheer impossibility of a successful North American launch meant that any money spent would have been money lost.
    12-15-13 04:43 PM
    Compare apples to apples Z30 to S4, not note 3

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 06:14 PM
    The OP knows and says that apples to apples would be Z30 to S4 but he's provided a nice comparison of the Z30 to the Note 3 because he's used both extensively. Besides, depending on the set all manner of things can be grouped together. For example Hepatitis C and Android phones are both grouped together in the set "things I'm glad I don't have"
    R Field and didii like this.
    12-15-13 07:15 PM
    The sad thing is I came to this same conclusion or more thought the other day. It's like its like nothing can turn them around, and the media doesn't help either.

I do hope the new ceo can as I can't see myself using any other os and I usually replace my phone yearly sometimes twice.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    12-17-13 12:32 AM
    Very good write-up and responses. For the very reasons stated, I have the z30 and my wife the note3.
    12-17-13 10:50 AM
    Same here. I have the Q10 and Z30 while my wife with her note 3.

Via my Z30&Q10
    12-17-13 10:54 AM
    Nice comparison - S Everything - LOL. They make it seem like it's loaded with very few apps, until you open all those crazy folders.

It's crazy how out of 4 Verizon stores I visited, only 1 store had a usable Z30. I kept playing with all the different features of the Galaxy Note 3, but after trying the Z30 at that one magical Verizon store, I knew it was the phone for me. One HUGE plus for the Z30 is swiping upward to switch/close an app. From my rooted HTC Thunderbolt, if an app froze, there was basically no way of getting out of that screen. If anything freezes on my Z30 (usually sideloaded Android app), I just swipe up, close, and get on with whatever else I was doing. I don't miss ANY of the widgets. None of the apps are running in the background. Yahoo app, Outlook app, Gmail app, Text app, Calendar app = Blackberry Hub!! And I can delete emails from each account through the Hub.

I actually got the Galaxy Note 3 for my wife (she needed Google apps bad). But even with the 3200 mAh battery she manages to drain it by the end of the day (might have to root it). All in all, I am super happy with my Z30.
    R Field likes this.
    12-17-13 05:10 PM
    Here is a quick look at the S4 and the Z30 at VZW this afternoon (went in to inquire about FiOS).

Quick look at BlackBerry Z30 & Note 3-img_00000255_edit.jpg

SQN100-1 + 10.2.1.1055 | STA100-3 + 10.2.1.1055
    Attached Thumbnails Quick look at BlackBerry Z30 & Note 3-img_00000255.jpg  
    SDTRMG likes this.
    12-17-13 06:09 PM