So I am considering getting a blackberry Z30. I have AT&T as my provider, and I understand that not all of the Z30's features (particularly it's LTE connectivity features) will not be available. I currently have an iPhone 4s, which I'd like to keep (at least for now) in addition to having the Z30 working on the same account. There are a couple of iPhone only apps that I need to have access to (FaceTime and some work related stuff), so I need to keep the iPhone for the time being, but I would love to have a Z30 as my sort of goto phone.

before I take the plunge and drop $450 on an unlocked Z30, I do have a few questions that I hope that some of you will be able to answer.

1) If I understand it correctly, I can just swap the sim card out of my iPhone (maybe with an adapter?) and stick it into the Z30 (and then swap it back when I want to use the iPhone). Do I need to do anything else to get it to work? Do I need to get AT&T involved in the phone set up? or can I do it on my own? Is there a convenient tutorial or walkthrough available anywhere.

2) I understand that OS and system software updates are provided by the cell phone provider, not by blackberry itself (which honestly seems crazy to me compared to the way Apple does it, but so be it). Since the Z30 isn't an officially supported phone with AT&T does that mean I will be out of luck for getting updates? I've seen posts about people installing "leaked" versions of updates. Is that simple to do? Where does one obtain the updates and how does one install them?

3) For those who use the Z30 on AT&T, how big a deal is the lack of LTE connectivity? is it even noticeable? I think it won't be much of an issue for me because at home and work i'll be on wifi. But occasionally I'll be in the wild so I'm just curious.

Thank you in advance for your help!
    07-01-14 10:59 PM
    Hello,
    The Z30 is pure awesomeness.
    Sim is the same but they do have a different plan, same price just different so att free of charge would u to keep changing it.
    My Z30 kills my iPhone on speeds on ATT so you will see a nice difference there.
    Lastly I have an unlocked Z30 from shopblackberry.com and I receive updates.
    Hope this helps

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 11:32 PM
    1) I also have an iPhone 4S and a Z30. I never have had to call to switch the sim cards between my phones and they both use the same size sim card so it should be very easy to swap them out.

2) I just got the Z30 a couple weeks ago so I can't speak to software updates but installing new OS versions is very easy.

3) My hometown still doesn't have LTE so it's not that big of a deal to me but I have noticed when traveling I encounter LTE a good deal less than I did before. Still regular 4G is plenty fast and you probably have Wi-Fi at your work and home so I doubt it'll be too noticeable.
    07-02-14 12:26 AM
    I also have a Z30 on AT&T. I routinely swap between my iPhone, Q10, and my Z30. Although lately I've been solely on my Z30. SIM swapping is easy and you don't need AT&T to do it.
    I don't miss the LTE since the 4G is plenty fast enough for me.
    I bought mine unlocked from BlackBerry and I get updates just fine.

I absolutely love this phone. So much so I have decided to sell the iPhone. No matter what you cannot beat the HUB.

You will have no regrets.

Posted using my Z30
    cbosdell likes this.
    07-02-14 12:35 AM
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! So just to be clear, when my Z30 arrives, I just need to plug the sim card from my iPhone into it and It will be good to go?
    07-02-14 01:57 AM
    Both the iPhone 4S and Z30 use Micro SIM cards, so you can just swap them back and forth as you like. One problem you will run into is the iMessages may get "lost". This happens 99.9% of the time when users switch from iOS to any other platform. I've heard that a simple fix could be to turn off iMessages on your iPhone and send out some texts as regular SMS before you do the swap.

Also, your iPhone 4S isn't capable of LTE so the data speed of 4G on your Z30 will be the same.

I've had my Z30 for 3 weeks already and am lovin' it! Better battery life, bigger screen, and waaay better speakers! Enjoy!
    07-02-14 03:07 AM
    I'm glad this thread was started. I am also on AT&T and have been considering an unlocked Z30. Thanks for the responses everyone
    07-02-14 03:25 AM
    Just to clarify, LTE connectivity is possible through AT&T's LTE band 5, depending on your area. There is a thread around the Z30 forum about what cities/towns AT&T has actually enabled band 5 in. Look for it, you may be one of the lucky folks with band 5 support! In my case, I only get band 5 LTE in a few areas around town, where with my Z10, I got LTE virtually everywhere from AT&T's band 17 (which isn't available on the Z30).

Do I miss the full LTE support? Well, sometimes... If you end up doing some BBM/Skype/anything video, you will notice a difference. With LTE I was smooth sailing when I BBM video'd with my wife. She has a Z10, and when we Z10'd to Z10, it was just like being there. Now that I've switched, and it's a Z30 to Z10 connection, it is choppy, and I've even had to hang up and try again on a few occasions. But, if you're not a video chatter, or do much with video at all, you will likely not notice the difference. Good luck!
    07-02-14 09:07 AM
    I have a work Iphone 4S and where in the hell is the sim card on this toy?

Can I use a paper clip in that little hole on the side?

Looks to me the whole phone is not able to be opened unless i am missing something
    07-02-14 09:15 AM
    Be nice to fool work in getting a Z30 and taking the sim car out and putting it in the Z30 and use it verses the 4S. I only use the 4S for a few things for work and hot spot to get coverage for my Q10 on Sprint when I am out in the middle of BFE so I can get my BBM's in those spots
    07-02-14 09:24 AM
    Yes, you push in a paper clip in that little hole on the side to get the sim card out of the 4S. As far as AT&T on the Z30, I'm using the Verizon variant with no problem. I've never gotten LTE in all the areas I've been, but I always have very consistent 4G which is good enough for me.

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 09:28 AM
    I will jump in here as well as I am on AT&T and have (had) an iPhone 4S as an experiment. Then went to the Z10 and now on a Z30. As everyone has mentioned, the speeds will be the same between the 4S and Z30 and the sims can go back and forth with no issues. Now I only use my 4S with Harry's Lap Timer for track events. I will admit that I just recently tried a Z30 on Verizon and had some smoking speeds on their ELTE system or whatever they call it. I routinely saw up to 45MBPS! Wow! However, they upcharge for visual voicemail (AT&T does not) and on a single line, you cannot get wireless hot spot out of the Z30 so that was a deal killer and I went back to AT&T. Really, the LTE speeds are fine for most applications with the exception of video conferencing as mentioned by others. I believe the Z30 was the phone that could have relaunched BB but they failed for various reasons and now the climb back seems tedious but they can do it. Hopefully, the Passport and others to follow will catch on.
    07-02-14 11:06 AM
    Isn't Verizon the exclusive carrier for the BB Z30?
    07-02-14 11:47 AM
    Isn't Verizon the exclusive carrier for the BB Z30?
    Yes. But the shopblackberry STA100-5 Z30 is fully compatible with T-Mobile and mostly compatible with AT&T. On AT&T some areas will get LTE, most areas will only get 4G.
    07-02-14 10:12 PM
    I have an STA100-5 Z30 model and got lucky as my area has the band 5 for LTE. Check this thread out to see if your city is listed. http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=918436

Also if you are going to swap back and forth between an iPhone and this then follow these instructions:

Shut iMessage off 2-3 days before you are going to switch phones. Reset your Apple ID password and do not log back in on your device(s)
    Send a text to 48369 with the word STOP
    It won?t happen immediately but over a 12-hour period, you should start receiving texts

Oh and you can receive awesome LTE speeds! Love my Z30! Currently on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247

Posted via CB10
    07-02-14 11:03 PM