so what you're saying is that you won't answer ?

Posted via CB10
    First of all, he didn't ask me. And I didn't mean to come off as defensive. All I'm saying is maybe people should make their own decisions and not be swayed by others. Until someone actually uses it for more than 10 minutes, then they have no clue how great this device is. Even without "ALL THE APPS"

Via CB10 Rockin the beautiful new Z30 STA100-5 Runnin 10.2.0.1791
    moody likes this.
    10-31-13 09:09 PM
    Well said, reading these comments I can't help but think of audiophile types, comparing hi end audio equipment when in reality 99% of the population can not tell the difference. You would have to be pretty anal to say the screen on the Z30 isn't a very good screen.

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    Hahaha.....I tend toward the anal audiophile types....not crazy though.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 09:55 PM
    Just got my Z30 yesterday coming from the Z10 and all I'll say is much was made about nothing regarding this screen. I'll take this any day anytime over the Z10's screen. Can't notice a thing.
    Plus it doesn't smudge as much!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Kessaz likes this.
    11-01-13 06:54 AM
    I have been using a Z10 since February and got a Z30 yesterday. Honestly I don't even see why this should be an issue. I would take the 30 any day over the 10 on every conceivable category. I just but them side by side and it's no contest from the perspective of an average Joe blow like myself.

Posted via CB10
    awindsr, Kessaz and thekidshop like this.
    11-01-13 07:27 AM
    PPI is just another marketing term to rope consumers into buying seemingly better products. Starting with Apple's "retina display", other companies began to follow suit by over packing pixels into small *** devices. The justification for getting a full HD screen on a 5" screen...well there is none. No one should need that clarity, and no one should really give a rats ***. So what if you notice "slightly jagged edges". How on earth would that compromise a device that performs wonderfully without a 1080p screen? It's this kindof mentality (the "I need more") that is going to be the death of practical companies like BlackBerry.
    So either sacrifice a few pixels and buy a fantastic product, or go be another greedy consumer and buy a phone with a 1080p screen.
    11-01-13 07:39 AM
    I now have a Z30 in hand and I can tell you that there is absolutely nothing to complain about. Anyone who says that it isn't sharp and clear, really is a person who likes to complain about anything.
    Pdinos3 and Kessaz like this.
    11-01-13 07:41 AM
    Just asking:

Why would you upgrade to a Z30, if it has similar specs as the S3?

Posted via CB10
    Specs aren't everything, especially when they are already better than what someone needs. It is like excel, people only use a tiny fraction of what is available. Most people can do everything they need using lotus 1-2-3 from a decade ago. It is only haters and anal users that would complain about a Z30 over a S3. I have tried both, and I would take the Z30 every time, now I have actually tried one. How much time have you actually spent using one? I suspect that you have never touched one. So your opinion is not based on facts. If you hate the phones so much, why are you still here Sammy..
    Pdinos3 and Kessaz like this.
    11-01-13 07:58 AM
    Its odd how people dont complain about 1080p 32' tv only having 52ppi vs the 295 on the 5" z30 screen.
    Wow...thirty two foot tv?...lol...52ppi...must have really jaggedy lines

Trusted Member Genius
    11-01-13 08:43 AM
    Just got my Z30 yesterday coming from the Z10 and all I'll say is much was made about nothing regarding this screen. I'll take this any day anytime over the Z10's screen. Can't notice a thing.
    Plus it doesn't smudge as much!!!!

Posted via CB10
    http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_3.htm

Quote from the last article:
    "From the above discussion, there are lots of good and technically sound reasons for moving up to Full HD in a 5 inch Smartphone display. People with reasonably good vision will be able to see and appreciate the higher resolution, additional sharpness and image detail that it provides."

I have been using a Z10 since February and got a Z30 yesterday. Honestly I don't even see why this should be an issue. I would take the 30 any day over the 10 on every conceivable category. I just but them side by side and it's no contest from the perspective of an average Joe blow like myself.

Posted via CB10
    Which is very funny, because the Z10 actually has the better display.
    But yes, please keep believing.

Specs aren't everything, especially when they are already better than what someone needs. It is like excel, people only use a tiny fraction of what is available. Most people can do everything they need using lotus 1-2-3 from a decade ago. It is only haters and anal users that would complain about a Z30 over a S3. I have tried both, and I would take the Z30 every time, now I have actually tried one. How much time have you actually spent using one? I suspect that you have never touched one. So your opinion is not based on facts. If you hate the phones so much, why are you still here Sammy..
    I used the Z30 for about an hour.
    It has the worst display of all current flagships and I have tested all of them, except for the new Nexus 5 and and the Nokia Lumia 1520.
    You can therefore suspect whatever you want, the only thing you do, and all of the apologists alike, is to amuse me.
    You guys like to pay 300$ more, for hardware from yesteryear, because it has a BlackBerry logo.
    Rationality, is long lost there.
    The next thing you'll do, is to explain me that the price of the PlayBook when it got introduced, was correct and the firesale undeserved...

I actually think that the Z30 is the best BlackBerry yet, but for 700$ I'll never buy one. The value proposition is just too bad compared to the competition, at this point in time.
    Since you like facts so much, I'll just quote it for the 4th time:

"From the above discussion, there are lots of good and technically sound reasons for moving up to Full HD in a 5 inch Smartphone display. People with reasonably good vision will be able to see and appreciate the higher resolution, additional sharpness and image detail that it provides."
    ^
    It's from the Soneira guy, you like to quote so much.
    When an unbiased person takes a look at every comparison made in these links, the only possible conclusion is that a 1080p is mandatory in 5 inch flagship for 700$.

And why I am still here, is none of your concerns.
    My next phone will be a Note 3, and now imagine the following:
    I'll still be here

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 11-01-13 at 01:04 PM.
    11-01-13 10:14 AM
    Thanks for your comments.

It's noted.

Still can't wait to get my z30.

Black is best Z10!
    11-01-13 10:19 AM
    Galaxy S4 Display Technology Shoot-Out

Galaxy Note 3 Display Technology Shoot-Out

Full HD Flagship Smartphone Display Technology Shoot-Out

^
    Interesting that post links to a shoot that shows that an iPhone without 1080 has as good a screen as that does. Hey, the iPhone doesn't even have a 720p screen. What are you trying to prove anyway?

So is Dr. Soneira right or wrong? How about when he says:

But when 1080p is crammed into such a relatively small package, does it really matter to the human eye?

We took this question to Dr. Raymond Soneira, president and CEO of DisplayMate, a company that produces calibration software for displays of all types. Dr. Soneira has also been known to publish display shoot-outs that pit the latest smartphones against each other in the battle for the best display.

When it comes to 1080p on a smartphone, he admits that it might not matter for the most casual users. "For some people, it is possible to tell the difference if we were to sit down and study a [1080p] display and a [720p] display, side-by-side," he said in a phone interview with Ars. "If you’re really a fanatic and you study images, or you have some professional applications and you’re really into displays, then it may make a visual difference for you."

For most people, though, it won't matter.
    For most uses, however, the extra sharpness of a 1080p display is wasted. In Dr. Soneira's third-generation iPad display shoot-out, he explains that because most adults don't actually have true 20/20 vision—even with glasses or contact lenses
    1080p on a smartphone screen—can it possibly matter? | Ars Technica

So you are quoting someone who actually disproves you case. Thanks for playing. Try again.
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    11-01-13 10:41 AM

It has the worst display of all current flagships and I have tested all of them, except for the new Nexus 5 and and the Nokia Lumia 1520.
    You can therefore suspect whatever you want, the only thing you do, and all of the apologists alike, is to amuse me.
    You guys like to pay 300$ more, for hardware from yesteryear, because it has a BlackBerry logo.
    The next thing you'll do, is to explain me that the price of the PlayBook when it got introduced, was correct and the firesale undeserved...

I actually think that the Z30 is the best BlackBerry yet, but for 700$ I'll never buy one. The value proposition is just too bad compared to the competition, at this point in time.

^
    When an unbiased person takes a look at every comparison made in these links, the only possible conclusion is that a 1080p is mandatory in flagship for 700$.

I'll still be here

Posted via CB10
    Did you actually read article? He says that because the improvements have nothing to do with resolution and everything to do with process improvements. He concedes that the resolution jump between 720p and 1080p on a 5 inch screen is unimportant. The z30's screen is a lower resolution but it is made with a cutting edge design that is also used for current generation 1080p displays.

You are just taking shots for the sake of taking shots.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3, jupiter8 and Kessaz like this.
    11-01-13 10:42 AM

^
    When an unbiased person takes a look at every comparison made in these links, the only possible conclusion is that a 1080p is mandatory in flagship for 700$.

I'll still be here

Posted via CB10
    OK we get it, you don't like Z30 display, guess what I like the phone. Why is, as you say, none of your concern, so move along
    Pdinos3 and moody like this.
    11-01-13 10:45 AM
    What a load of crock in this thread from blind fanboyism. The Z30 display sucks, period. I actually was going to upgrade my Z10 to a Z30, that was before I went to two stores and got to out my Z10 side by side with the Z30 for no less than 20 minutes of continuous use each time through various sections of the phone and various scenarios. Put the two side by side at the same zoom level and the text content on the Z10 is readable where as on the Z30 it is completely unintelligible. If you think the Z30 display is good you are either in need of corrective lenses (no offense, we all get older) or don't have a better display to compare against and simply "don't know any better".

To anyone who wants to buy the Z30 and thinks that the display is good, please put it side by side with a Z10, GS4, HTC One, iPhone 5 or newer, etc. and do a readability test at the same zoom level.

As much as I'm anti Apple and whatnot, you cannot disregard the role of PPI when it comes to readability. The percieved PPI on the Z30 is around 260-270 PPI which is very low. As it stands this phone has a display equivalent to what was in the market about 3 years ago, except then we did not do 5" displays so things never looked so awful.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX and dezzilak like this.
    11-01-13 11:06 AM
    my 720p screen is perfectly fine, NOTHING AT ALL wrong with it. there's no errors on websites, theres now battery sucking gpu needed to power it, until 4k main streams 720 is fine.
    11-01-13 11:11 AM
    What a load of crock in this thread from blind fanboyism. The Z30 display sucks, period. I actually was going to upgrade my Z10 to a Z30, that was before I went to two stores and got to out my Z10 side by side with the Z30 for no less than 20 minutes of continuous use each time through various sections of the phone and various scenarios. Put the two side by side at the same zoom level and the text content on the Z10 is readable where as on the Z30 it is completely unintelligible. If you think the Z30 display is good you are either in need of corrective lenses (no offense, we all get older) or don't have a better display to compare against and simply "don't know any better".

To anyone who wants to buy the Z30 and thinks that the display is good, please put it side by side with a Z10, GS4, HTC One, iPhone 5 or newer, etc. and do a readability test at the same zoom level.

As much as I'm anti Apple and whatnot, you cannot disregard the role of PPI when it comes to readability. The percieved PPI on the Z30 is around 260-270 PPI which is very low. As it stands this phone has a display equivalent to what was in the market about 3 years ago, except then we did not do 5" displays so things never looked so awful.

Posted via CB10
    It's my understanding that it is pretty much the same display as a galaxy note II which had 267 ppi AMOLED, which in my opinion looks just fine and I wouldn't call outdated tech.

I have never seen a z30 in person though, has anyone ever compared it side by side with the note II?
    11-01-13 11:32 AM
    Wow. Now that I think of it. Maybe I should return my z30 because YOU say it stinks. Wow if only I had read your very informative critique earlier, I never would have bought my phone off contract for 600. Got it unlocked for 20. Had a ghost armor skin custom made, purchased the otterbox commuter AND defender cases. Shucks. I should listen to you **iots more often. By the way. I use the defender on top of a ghost armor screen protector and my screen still looks great. I think you guys are just trying to justify going with another brand and regretting it. Have a great day and try not to ruin it for the rest of us.

bizzyqu, 3hb78ftg, moody and 1 others like this.
    11-01-13 11:34 AM
    also most of us were using BBOS devices less than a year ago, where this was NEVER an issue, got to complain about something I guess
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    11-01-13 11:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    Note sure what you were looking at but to my eyes and granted I do wear glasses there is an imperceptible difference. Your over generalization that it sucks shows me that I don't need to read any further. That ridiculous statement ruined any credibility you might have been able to convey with your review of the two phones. I did the same as you, and the major difference I saw was in the colour saturation I like the Z 30 screen more in that respect, to a lesser extent the 30 isn't quite as bright as the 10, but two things one I ran my 10 at 30% so that didn't matter much to me and the second if I did run the 10 at full brightness I found it overwhelming.

So I considered the screen, which I had the most concerns about having not really like the Q10, but after reviewing side by side I quite like the screen and now that I've had the phone for a few weeks in constant use, when I go back to my 10 I find the I like the 30 even more now.

That coupled with the fact these old eyes get more real estate to view emails and Web pages and that the phone is even snappier than my Zed I am very happy that I selected this phone.

I think it needs to be pointed out that for me at least I need a good 2 weeks with a product before I can really lay down a good review about how it looks, feels, operates and fits my need

My Z30 DOESNT SUCK! BEST PHONE I'VE OWNED PERIOD

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    11-01-13 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    OK OK the display has less dpi, fine. But just like I don't need a vet to make the drive to work which is 30 mph, I don't need a dpi difference I can't see. (And I have pilot eyes) I am buying a phone not just a display. The total package is what I want.

I resent being called a fanboy because I made a decision based on the total phone and not just one aspect of it. Fanboy seems to be used by anyone who has a beef with something BB for anyone who doesn't agree with them. When they are not getting your immediate agreement you must be a fan boy, because of course they know all and see all and we are just ....... Fanboys
    Pdinos3 and moody like this.
    11-01-13 11:46 AM
    I'd rather a good screen and great battery life over a great screen and poor battery life. But that's just me.

Posted from my Z30
    Pdinos3, thekidshop and uzigunz like this.
    11-01-13 12:09 PM
    You really need to get a life. Only losers post BS on a forum for a device or manufacture that they don't use.
    I use a BlackBerry Z10, try again

Interesting that post links to a shoot that shows that an iPhone without 1080 has as good a screen as that does. Hey, the iPhone doesn't even have a 720p screen. What are you trying to prove anyway?

So is Dr. Soneira right or wrong? How about when he says:

1080p on a smartphone screen—can it possibly matter? | Ars Technica

So you are quoting someone who actually disproves you case. Thanks for playing. Try again.
    1) I never said that the iPhone has a bad display.

2) I am talking about 5 inch flagship devices, not 4 inches.
    So if the iPhone has 720p or not is irrelevant for that discussion

3) The PPI of the iPhone is 336, the perceived one of the Z30 is somewhere around 270.
    We all know that the iPhone has a better display than the Z30, so what are you trying to prove?

4) The funny thing about Dr.Soneira is, that in his comparisons that do not date from 2012, he clearly says that 1080p displays are a worthy upgrade in phones bigger than 4 inches.
    The last article I quoted, the smartphone shootout number 3, is from 2013.
    It's also very funny, that you do not understand what you read.
    In the ArsTechnica article, he already says that it is a big improvement for text and for videos in the native resolution.

Since the recent publications of Dr.Soneira make it clear that he sees value and a reason to implement 1080p displays in 5 inch phones, I would rather suggest that you take yourself with a lot of self-irony and I hope that the crow you are eating right now tastes good.
    Since you said: "So you are quoting someone who actually disproves your case. Thanks for playing. Try again.", I'd suggest that you yourself stand by that.

Wow. Now that I think of it. Maybe I should return my z30 because YOU say it stinks. Wow if only I had read your very informative critique earlier, I never would have bought my phone off contract for 600. Got it unlocked for 20. Had a ghost armor skin custom made, purchased the otterbox commuter AND defender cases. Shucks. I should listen to you **iots more often. By the way. I use the defender on top of a ghost armor screen protector and my screen still looks great. I think you guys are just trying to justify going with another brand and regretting it. Have a great day and try not to ruin it for the rest of us.

You're reading comprehension is a little bit off.
    Nobody said that the Z30 is a bad phone.
    It's a bad flagship that is overpriced, that's all there is to it.
    As a midrange phone, with the pricetag such a device deserves, there wouldn't be any complaints, except for the ecosystem.
    Like this, we have a completely different case.

But don't worry, the market will correct BlackBerry's pricing mistake.
    And btw, for the case of you missing it:
    I have and use a Z10 as my daily driver, and come from a 9810. I still have a 64GB PlayBook (bought at the firesale) so I don't know when and why you got it wrong, but there is no justifying or remorse on my part.

I see a lot of justifying and an immense part of apologising from certain smartphone owners though.
    It's a fact that the Z30 uses midrange hardware.
    It's also a fact that other manufacturers use far better specs in equally priced devices.

I'd rather a good screen and great battery life over a great screen and poor battery life. But that's just me.

Posted from my Z30
    The Note 3 has a better battery life than the Z30, even though it has better specs, in any regard.
    The LG G2 has an excellent battery life as well.
    Please try again.

Did you actually read article? He says that because the improvements have nothing to do with resolution and everything to do with process improvements. He concedes that the resolution jump between 720p and 1080p on a 5 inch screen is unimportant. The z30's screen is a lower resolution but it is made with a cutting edge design that is also used for current generation 1080p displays.

You are just taking shots for the sake of taking shots.

Posted via CB10
    I read the article, and per the quote I used, that you can easily find, he concludes the following:
    I do wonder if that contradicts what you said...

And no, I am not taking shots for the sake of it.
    I wonder why BlackBerry uses midrange specs, sells them for a 350$ premium, and there are actually people applauding that.
    This is so far away from rationality...

And no, the Z30 doesn't use anything cutting edge except for its antenna.
    The Display is an Amoled pentile one, that is comparable to the Galaxy S3.
    Nothing cutting edge to see there.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 11-01-13 at 12:27 PM.
    11-01-13 12:14 PM
    First of all, he didn't ask me. And I didn't mean to come off as defensive. All I'm saying is maybe people should make their own decisions and not be swayed by others. Until someone actually uses it for more than 10 minutes, then they have no clue how great this device is. Even without "ALL THE APPS"

I agree that people should make their own decisions but what I feel Mars is trying to do is understand the other persons opinion.

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-01-13 12:28 PM
    I agree that people should make their own decisions but what I feel Mars is trying to do is understand the other persons opinion.

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    This is correct, that was the intention of my question.

What I understood for now, is that BB10 alone, is worth 350$ for some people.
    What I also understand, is that 99% of the smartphone market isn't willing to see it like that.
    What I do not understand, is why some users in here can't admit, that the hardware is subpar for a flagship.
    What I never understood, is the fact of being defensive about the obvious weaknesses an object has.

Posted via CB10
    3hb78ftg likes this.
    11-01-13 12:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, the only crock here is you.

Put the two side by side at the same zoom level and the text content on the Z10 is readable where as on the Z30 it is completely unintelligible.
    That is such a drama queen statement and totally false.
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    11-01-13 12:54 PM
269 ... 23456 ...