Well said, reading these comments I can't help but think of audiophile types, comparing hi end audio equipment when in reality 99% of the population can not tell the difference. You would have to be pretty anal to say the screen on the Z30 isn't a very good screen.

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    Then call me anal I guess because the Z30 screen is not good. Maybe for somebody else it is OK, but like with my audio I very much care about the quality of my displays. After all I am staring at various displays 10h per day on average.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-28-13 02:54 AM
    Well said, reading these comments I can't help but think of audiophile types, comparing hi end audio equipment when in reality 99% of the population can not tell the difference. You would have to be pretty anal to say the screen on the Z30 isn't a very good screen.

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    Dude don't blindly defend your phone we all love BlackBerry here but I'm sorry I clearly see jaggedy icons on the z30 and believe without a doubt that the Z10 display is superior. I was actually ready and about to buy the z30 , I just couldn't justify paying that much money for it when I saw the resolution and played with the phone. Did lots of side by side comparison between the Z10 and I didn't feel that moving to the z30 was an upgrade at all and it's isn't... an upgrade means that's everything should be better not just battery life or a quad core GPU.

I would rather own three spare batteries (which I do) and put up with the z10's battery life than to give up that stellar screen and rez on it for the poorer z30 rez. Which I repeat is quite noticeable if your coming from the z10. There is no reason for me to hate on the z30 I'm just sharing my observations from when I went to the store to buy it.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-13 09:29 PM
    After using the Z30 for a month then coming back to use the Z10 screen, the Z10 screen just seems noticeably sharper.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-31-13 12:19 AM
    After using the Z30 for a month then coming back to use the Z10 screen, the Z10 screen just seems noticeably sharper.
    Now imagine what someone would tell you, who used a 1080p display for months.
    A HTC One for example, with its 440ppi, LCD display.

It's ridiculous to use a 720p pentile-matrix based display, in a 5 inch "flagship".
    The Z30 could be an excellent phone, but not for 600-700$.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 01:14 AM
    I was looking forward to the Z30... Now, I don't know. I am outside a lot and the Z10 display is amazingly readable in direct sunlight even with sunglasses on. Another bonus is that when viewed thru polarized sunglasses, the Z10's display is readable in both the vertical and horizontal positions. It is also far better than the Iphone 5.
    10-31-13 01:43 AM
    BB should have put 1080p on the Z30. They messed up again, probably for the last time. Its sad.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-31-13 01:45 AM
    BlackBerry are damned if they do and dammed if they don't. You can't please everyone.
    10-31-13 02:19 AM
    BB should have put 1080p on the Z30. They messed up again, probably for the last time. Its sad.
    Or give the Z30 a normal price.
    For 400-450$, it would be a very good phone, sadly with a lacking ecosystem.

For 600-700$, it's just overpriced, and nothing else.
    It's a bad phone for that price, which is extremely sad, because BlackBerry should have already learned their lesson from the overpriced PlayBook and Z10.
    For the price of the Z30, the competition offers better phones, in pretty much every regard.
    Nothing else happened with the PlayBook.
    At launch, one could buy a PB or an iPad with an email client, 9.7 inches and an ecosystem for the same price.

I do wonder why consumers didn't buy the PlayBook like hot cakes...
    And I'll eat a broom, if the Z30 will be a success with its current price.

BlackBerry are damned if they do and dammed if they don't. You can't please everyone.
    Actually, no...
    For 600-700$, they are only dammed if they do not.
    This is the high-end, premium smartphone sector and this implies a certain number of things.

The problem with the Z30 is, that the only thing it really excells at, is at being overpriced.
    That's not exactly a great USP...

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 likes this.
    10-31-13 02:22 AM
    It is amusing to read this thread. Not many people know much about displays but lots of people think that they do. So much misinformation.

Overall, I like the z30's screen over the z10's. Z30 has better contrast. Better contrast gives everything a more dimensional appearance. The blacks make everything pop. Plus, it is plenty sharp. The small font on Icon text is tiny but still clear and readable. There is not a hint of any color bleeding.

I don't think you can ask for much more. 1080p on a screen this size is simply not necessary except for marketing.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626, jupiter8, jimpilot and 2 others like this.
    10-31-13 05:29 PM
    Actually the z30 is higher resolution than the iPhone 5 as well. It's 720p, the iPhone 5 is 640p. The iPhone 5 has a higher ppi due to its smaller screen, but only marginally, it's about 326 while the z30 is 295. If apple were to expand the 5s screen to 5" it would have 260 ppi.

Posted from my Z10
    Seriously?!? I've been seeing all this pissing and moaning that the Z30 doesn't have a 1080 display (not that most could tell the difference anyway) and the vaunted iPhone doesn't even have an HD display?? I for one, would find the stereo speakers to be more important for my tastes. I hate the sound quality on most devices. Can't wait to see and hear a Z30 for myself.

Posted via CB10
    jupiter8 and DJM626 like this.
    10-31-13 07:20 PM
    Seriously?!? I've been seeing all this pissing and moaning that the Z30 doesn't have a 1080 display (not that most could tell the difference anyway) and the vaunted iPhone doesn't even have an HD display?? I for one, would find the stereo speakers to be more important for my tastes. I hate the sound quality on most devices. Can't wait to see and hear a Z30 for myself.

Posted via CB10
    It sounds better than any phone in the market... except maybe the HTC One which also has stereo speakers but has Beats on board too.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    10-31-13 07:26 PM
    Questions about the Z30 display-img_00003893.jpg

I just played around with one at the Bell store (sunrise plaza kitchener) and the display was just ok. I'd say 8/10. Problem is it should be a 10/10. Or 1080p. Not a deal breaker, just slightly disappointed coming from the Z10. Sound, speed and build however are top notch !
    10-31-13 07:47 PM
    It sounds better than any phone in the market... except maybe the HTC One which also has stereo speakers but has Beats on board too.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    Is the Z30 display at least as good as the GS3? I caught up on Game of Thrones on my girlfriend's GS3 and thought I would hate watching it on a phone. I must say it wasn't so bad. Pretty damn good, to be honest. I thought the colors were a little off, but nothing offensive. If the Z30 is on par with this,or even better, then as far as I'm concerned the complaints about the Z30 display are pretty frivolous.

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    10-31-13 07:53 PM
    Is the Z30 display at least as good as the GS3? I caught up on Game of Thrones on my girlfriend's GS3 and thought I would hate watching it on a phone. I must say it wasn't so bad. Pretty damn good, to be honest. I thought the colors were a little off, but nothing offensive. If the Z30 is on par with this,or even better, then as far as I'm concerned the complaints about the Z30 display are pretty frivolous.

Posted via CB10
    Just asking:

Why would you upgrade to a Z30, if it has similar specs as the S3?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 07:58 PM
    Just asking:

Why would you upgrade to a Z30, if it has similar specs as the S3?

Posted via CB10
    Is it any of your concern?

Via CB10 Rockin the beautiful new Z30 STA100-5 Runnin 10.2.0.1791
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    10-31-13 07:59 PM
    I don't have the GS3. Samsung isn't really my taste. I have a Z10, but if the stereo speakers on the Z30 are as good as advertised, that by itself would get me to upgrade....my point about the GS3 comparison was that if the the display was at least as good, if not better than that of the GS3, then the gripes about the Z30 display are pretty ticky tack. Just my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    10-31-13 08:03 PM
    So he display is not as good as the Z10 but the battery life and sound are way better. A fair trade IMO

SOLD!
    10-31-13 08:20 PM

It's a serious question. I want to understand the rationale behind it.
    Is that considered offensive?

Posted via CB10
    3hb78ftg likes this.
    10-31-13 08:21 PM
    comparing 295PPI on the Z30 to 356PPI of the Z10 is quite substantial. the image looks crisper on the Z10 but again LCD draws more power than the AMOLED and if you turn the theme on the Z30 into dark, you can feel the power efficiency to keep the phone going on and on and on..

in short:
    - for dark background: Z30
    - for crisper image quality: Z10
    - for brightness: Z10 (AMOLED is a bit shy under sunlight)
    - for readability in dark: Z30 (somehow my eyes can adapt to the Z30's brightness without any hassle)
    - for readability in sunlight: Z10 (the IPS rocks!!!)
    - for colour temperature: Z30
    - for colour saturation: Z10
    - for better battery life and more prolonged use: Z30

which one you like? it's your call!
    Pdinos3 and Fr3lncr like this.
    10-31-13 08:31 PM
    It's a serious question. I want to understand the rationale behind it.
    Is that considered offensive?

Posted via CB10
    Obviously I can't speak for others, but my reasons for upgrading to a Z30 are that I'm pretty happy with my Z10 and a bigger better version of it interests me. Bigger battery and better speakers are of particular interest to me. That and with better "specs" I gotta believe that the already good video rendering on the Z10 is only improved on the Z30. It just seems to me that despite all the griping about the Z30, that it turns out to be a pretty damn nice device. Guess I'll get to see for myself in a couple of weeks being that I'm with Verizon and I have an open line due for upgrade....

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:39 PM

so what you're saying is that you won't answer ?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:45 PM
    comparing 295PPI on the Z30 to 356PPI of the Z10 is quite substantial. the image looks crisper on the Z10 but again LCD draws more power than the AMOLED and if you turn the theme on the Z30 into dark, you can feel the power efficiency to keep the phone going on and on and on..

in short:
    - for dark background: Z30
    - for crisper image quality: Z10
    - for brightness: Z10 (AMOLED is a bit shy under sunlight)
    - for readability in dark: Z30 (somehow my eyes can adapt to the Z30's brightness without any hassle)
    - for readability in sunlight: Z10 (the IPS rocks!!!)
    - for colour temperature: Z30
    - for colour saturation: Z10
    - for better battery life and more prolonged use: Z30

which one you like? it's your call!
    I have noticed that my Z10 is noticeably better when it's bright and sunny out than the GS3 and GS4 I have occasional close proximity to. That has been a plus on a few occasions. I have been very impressed with the display of the Z10. Is it "better" than some of the competition? That's for each of us to decide on our own. In my opinion, if the Z30's display is at least as nice of that as the GS3, then it's plenty good for me. It's my opinion that you would be hard pressed to find many that could really detect any real, notcible, deal breaking differences if they were not told about the spec differences before hand. Can't wait to see for myself!

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:50 PM
    Dude don't blindly defend your phone we all love BlackBerry here but I'm sorry I clearly see jaggedy icons on the z30 and believe without a doubt that the Z10 display is superior. I was actually ready and about to buy the z30 , I just couldn't justify paying that much money for it when I saw the resolution and played with the phone. Did lots of side by side comparison between the Z10 and I didn't feel that moving to the z30 was an upgrade at all and it's isn't... an upgrade means that's everything should be better not just battery life or a quad core GPU.

I would rather own three spare batteries (which I do) and put up with the z10's battery life than to give up that stellar screen and rez on it for the poorer z30 rez. Which I repeat is quite noticeable if your coming from the z10. There is no reason for me to hate on the z30 I'm just sharing my observations from when I went to the store to buy it.

Posted via CB10
    Well put. I can appreciate that.
    I'm leaning towards the Z30 because of the Miracast and wifi direct, as well as the larger screen. I also noticed a difference with the resolution, but have concluded it wasn't enough to be a deal breaker. There are too many aspects in this phone I can use or want.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:55 PM
    I have noticed that my Z10 is noticeably better when it's bright and sunny out than the GS3 and GS4 I have occasional close proximity to. That has been a plus on a few occasions. I have been very impressed with the display of the Z10. Is it "better" than some of the competition? That's for each of us to decide on our own. In my opinion, if the Z30's display is at least as nice of that as the GS3, then it's plenty good for me. It's my opinion that you would be hard pressed to find many that could really detect any real, notcible, deal breaking differences if they were not told about the spec differences before hand. Can't wait to see for myself!

Posted via CB10
    http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_3.htm

Quote from the last article:
    "From the above discussion, there are lots of good and technically sound reasons for moving up to Full HD in a 5 inch Smartphone display. People with reasonably good vision will be able to see and appreciate the higher resolution, additional sharpness and image detail that it provides."

The comparisons include a lot of different phones
    The Z30 is rather comparable to the Galaxy S3 in the charts.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:58 PM
    I like Z30 too much
    Pdinos3 likes this.
    10-31-13 09:08 PM
269 12345 ...