Z30 rez is notably lower than the Z10 I don't know how you can say it's not noticeable . The z10 has even a higher rez than the iPhone 5s. I will end up buying it nonetheless to support BlackBerry like I always have but no sugar coating here about screen rez. I don't even think it's debatable. When I held the Z30 coming from the z10 it felt like picking up a PlayBook and using it after a long time of using the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Actually the z30 is higher resolution than the iPhone 5 as well. It's 720p, the iPhone 5 is 640p. The iPhone 5 has a higher ppi due to its smaller screen, but only marginally, it's about 326 while the z30 is 295. If apple were to expand the 5s screen to 5" it would have 260 ppi.

Posted from my Z10
    10-21-13 08:37 PM
    Actually the z30 is higher resolution than the iPhone 5 as well. It's 720p, the iPhone 5 is 640p. The iPhone 5 has a higher ppi due to its smaller screen, but only marginally, it's about 326 while the z30 is 295. If apple were to expand the 5s screen to 5" it would have 260 ppi.

Posted from my Z10
    And they will still call it a retina display and everyone will line up for hours in the cold to get one... while people complain that there is a line up, waiting for an email on their couch, for BBM

Posted via CB10
    nisarg86 and kthhrrsn like this.
    10-21-13 08:49 PM
    And they will still call it a retina display and everyone will line up for hours in the cold to get one... while people complain that there is a line up, waiting for an email on their couch, for BBM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah you're probably right. Sheep

Posted from my Z10
    10-21-13 09:02 PM
    Z10 is brighter and has better whites because it is LCD. The blacks are much deeper on the Z30 because it is AMOLED. Some people view the colors on AMOLED as saturated. They're both great screens, just slightly different because of the technologies being different.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 09:57 PM
    I have no issue with Z30 screen resolution at all. Having used both Z10 and Q10 and Note 3 I find Z30 resolution sharp and crisp. I you want to be picky it is definitely not on par with Note 3 but the difference is no show stopper.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-13 11:02 PM
    I really like the z30 screen for my eyes, I'm not all anal though, and I'm a guy 40% of us can't see colour that well anyway...

Moot point to me, what I find amazing is this phone is compared to a iPhone 5(insert favourite alphabet here). My brother has a 5 and was envious of the screen real estate and how great Web pages looked without having to pinch and zoom everything, he loves reader mode too, his eyes are a touch older than mine. .

Anyway, what about this BlackBerry brings out a Z30x. higher ppi, more memory, faster cpu, in a titanium frame, the only thing for production to change is the display they order the size of men chop and the clock for the CPU, can be made on the same line as this one with few changes.....just a thought.....

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    10-21-13 11:23 PM
    Is the digitizer and screen combined?
    10-21-13 11:28 PM
    On the Z30 I believe it's the same as the Q10 and Z10 I think

10-21-13 11:39 PM
    Is the digitizer and screen combined?
    No I don't think so I have seen a cracked Z30 screen and touch still works fine
    10-22-13 12:48 AM
    OK honest and unbiased opinion here I went to bell today with the intention of replacing my z10 with the z30 but luckily they had a full functional demo model that I played with for a bout 15 mins and I can attest that while the typing experience on the z30 was just phenomenal, the screen rez, brightness and vibrancy of the Z10 is superior to the Z30 all round icons on Z30 have jagged edges (browser and BlackBerry World icons) while on Z10 they are flawlessly round. Also Z10 is brighter and offers a more vibrant display. I didn't end up buying the Z30 because of the lower screen rez. Os performance and speed was identical (I'm running the latest 10.2 leak on my Z10). Of you currently own a Z10 you will certainly notice that the rez is lower, I personally noticed right away. All in all thoug it is a great device nonetheless

Posted via CB10
    but,the my poopoo headed carried sprint elected not to carry the Z10.
    10-22-13 02:17 AM
    Hey,

I couldn't find a physical Z30 in any shop. So what would you say which display is better? Z10 or Z30? I know that the display of the Z30 is bigger and that's an AMOLED but what's about brightness, resolution and colours?

Thanks, De93
    In comparing the Z30 to Z10, or any phone for that matter, you definitely need to separate things like resolution/ppi, brightness, colour accuracy, etc since people have a tendency to think resolution/ppi is all that matters which is far, far from the truth. Like with digital cameras, the number of megapixels is no way determines whether a camera is good or not as you need to consider MP, autofocus speed, focus accuracy, shutter speed, frames per second, dynamic range, pixel sharpness... I'd take a 5MP camera that was good in all these areas than a 13MP camera that sucked in all the rest. (Cases in point, Z10 camera is way better than the Nexus 4 with the same MP and even the 9900 5MP camera was better than the Galaxy S2's 8MP camera).

In terms of resolution/ppi, while the Z10 does have a higher ppi, the Z30's 720p display is completely fine for a 5 inch device. Seriously, I gave myself a headache trying to see the dots in the display and I'm one who keeps all my text on the smallest settings. 1080p displays on 5inch display are basically marketing for manufacturers that want to throw specs around and need something, anything to separate themselves from the competition even if what they are selling has no meaning in real life and need. For sure 1080p displays have a purpose on larger displays (Nexus 7 FHD looks quite good really) but not at 5inches unless the phone is less than 6 inches from your face or your name is Clark Kent.

In terms of brightness, the Z10 is definitely better. I have to say I have some initial disappointment with the brightness of the Z30. It's not even as bright as my Nexus 4 which already wasn't as bright as the Z10. Once I'll be using it day-to-day I'm sure I'll get used to it. I just hope it doesn't frustrate me outdoors as already I can't see the Nexus 4 in bright sunlight and I never had a problem with the Z10.

In terms of colour accuracy, well, I find colours muted and whites a bit yellow/beige on the Z30. Well, can they be muted and over saturated like another posted pointed out? I put up a picture of a seascape with blue skies on both my Nexus 4 and Z30 and the blues were darker and heavier on the Z30 compared to the Nexus which was a lot brighter but the blues thinner. Z10 definitely wins here as I always preferred it over the Nexus 4.

Both the later are due to the screen tech and I guess that is the trade off for longer battery life. I guess it will be something I will get used to and try to appreciate if I end up swearing at my phone when I'm outdoors in the sun :-) Though if my phone is still working at the end of a long day with juice to spare, as it should, then I guess I'll be appreciating that as for sure my Nexus would be dead and my Z10 near death as well.

So definitely some trade-offs between the Z10 and Z30. I'd say try them both and decide which is best for you and your needs. Just need to wait until a local store has some in stock that you can try. The Z30 advantages (speed, battery life, larger screen) will hopefully off set the loss of the Z10's brighter more vibrant screen.
    jimpilot likes this.
    10-22-13 01:47 PM
    I have both the 10 and the 30.

Both look great when you don't have them side by side. If you do then you will notice the z10 is sharper, the whites are whiter, and the screen is brighter on the z10.

Since I don't carry both if them with me to compare I don't notice anything different.

Posted via CB10
    10-22-13 05:22 PM
    OK honest and unbiased opinion here I went to bell today with the intention of replacing my z10 with the z30 but luckily they had a full functional demo model that I played with for a bout 15 mins and I can attest that while the typing experience on the z30 was just phenomenal, the screen rez, brightness and vibrancy of the Z10 is superior to the Z30 all round icons on Z30 have jagged edges (browser and BlackBerry World icons) while on Z10 they are flawlessly round. Also Z10 is brighter and offers a more vibrant display. I didn't end up buying the Z30 because of the lower screen rez. Os performance and speed was identical (I'm running the latest 10.2 leak on my Z10). Of you currently own a Z10 you will certainly notice that the rez is lower, I personally noticed right away. All in all thoug it is a great device nonetheless

Posted via CB10
    My impression was exactly the same as yours. I too got to play with a demo for about 20 minutes and while I think that the Z30 offers some nice improvements over the Z10, the display is a huge downgrade. The biggest lost IMHO is the sharpness and crispness of text. Pentile matrix on the Z30 display just kills text, worse than on the Q10. More burn effect around text, blurry appearance, over saturated coloration, especially the red/magenta. Overall, Z10 is a better device if you deal with a lot of text.

Posted via CB10
    10-23-13 02:49 AM
    Hello,

I am owner of a Z30
    I found this stunning phone , very nice , very convenient and fast

but there are two points that grieve me enormously

The first is the brightness
    I find the very dark lighting ( too dark for me ), especially in a dark room
    even with the brightness set the rate to max
    the Z30 decreases brightness automatically

so my question is :
    - Is it possible to remove the auto brightness
    Still in order to keep the max as when the Z30 is in full light
    ( this is possible in the majority of sub amoled android phone )

The second point is the color black menu
    I come from Z10 which was white and I thought it was very well ( setting as etc ...)
    and I wish to find the same thing on the Z30 because I prefer WHITE

so my question is :
    - Is it possible to put all these white menu
    should be able to choose the color like the calendar and contacts ect ...
    (especially for those who come from the Z10 and which are used to white)

I love BB10 I find such beautiful and Funky OS10
    but unfortunately these two points should make me leave Blackberry
    if it was not there for immediate solution or coming
    10-23-13 04:47 AM
    My impression was exactly the same as yours. I too got to play with a demo for about 20 minutes and while I think that the Z30 offers some nice improvements over the Z10, the display is a huge downgrade. The biggest lost IMHO is the sharpness and crispness of text. Pentile matrix on the Z30 display just kills text, worse than on the Q10. More burn effect around text, blurry appearance, over saturated coloration, especially the red/magenta. Overall, Z10 is a better device if you deal with a lot of text.

Posted via CB10
    Which is kind of sad, for the new "flagship" from BlackBerry.
    Since a pentile matrix lowers the perceived PPI, a 1080p display is clearly superior in the case you read a lot of text.
    Well, actually the current generation of 1080p displays is better, with pretty much every usage scenario you throw at it, compared to what a 720p display can achieve.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_3.htm

Quote from the last article:
    "From the above discussion, there are lots of good and technically sound reasons for moving up to Full HD in a 5 inch Smartphone display. People with reasonably good vision will be able to see and appreciate the higher resolution, additional sharpness and image detail that it provides."

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 10-23-13 at 06:26 AM.
    10-23-13 04:56 AM
    Which is kind of sad, for the new "flagship" from BlackBerry.
    Since a pentile matrix lowers the perceived PPI, a 1080p display is clearly superior in the case you read a lot of text.
    Well, actually the current generation of 1080p displays is better, with pretty much every usage scenario you throw at it, compared to what a 720p display can achieve.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S4_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note3_ShootOut_1.htm

http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_ShootOut_3.htm

Quote from the last article:
    "From the above discussion, there are lots of good and technically sound reasons for moving up to Full HD in a 5 inch Smartphone display. People with reasonably good vision will be able to see and appreciate the higher resolution, additional sharpness and image detail that it provides."

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I have to admit, I was one of those people that was saying "why do you need 1080p", but when I saw the implementation on the Z30 using the Pentile Matrix, it is pretty clear now why you must go with a 1080p screen. The drop in PPI is substantial. I think that the perceived PPI on the Z30 is only around 270 with the Pentile Matrix. That is quite low for today's standards, especially for a flagship device. The Z10 smokes the Z30 in display quality. The only good thing about the Z30 display is that the blacks are true. That's it.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-25-13 09:36 PM
    I disagree. Putting them side by side, I think the Z30 fares very well.
    The photos are crisp and clear. The Z10 is slightly superior, but the difference isn't significant. On the other hand, the audio on the Z30 is far superior to anything out there!

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 10:05 PM
    I disagree. Putting them side by side, I think the Z30 fares very well.
    The photos are crisp and clear. The Z10 is slightly superior, but the difference isn't significant. On the other hand, the audio on the Z30 is far superior to anything out there!

Posted via CB10
    Personal impression. Objectively, the Z30 is far inferior to the Z10 when it comes to the display. I too have used both, side by side. Text quality on the Z30 is abysmal. I've already commented on this earlier and described how it looks. Text also happens to be one of the most important things on a device like the Z30, more so since the primary use is supposed to be communication. The only way that you can say that they come close is if you really do not have vision good enough to discern the difference. Perceived PPI in the ~260-270 range is low, really low, and it makes small text look atrocious.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 01:14 AM
    It's not horrible but then I use font size 6
    10-26-13 07:09 PM
    Does anyone think that a future software upgrade can possibly make any kind of difference? Like maybe something can be added or enhanced in the settings eventually?
    10-26-13 07:55 PM
    Does anyone think that a future software upgrade can possibly make any kind of difference? Like maybe something can be added or enhanced in the settings eventually?
    Very unlikely as this is an inherent limitation of the hardware BlackBerry is using.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 10:45 AM
    Very unlikely as this is an inherent limitation of the hardware BlackBerry is using.

Posted via CB10
    Which is bound to happen, when you use hardware from yesteryear, on a "flagship" device from today.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 11:07 AM
    Which is bound to happen, when you use hardware from yesteryear, on a "flagship" device from today.

Posted via CB10
    In fairness, Samsung continues to use Pentile Matrix displays on all of their flagship devices. However, since they moved to much higher resolution displays the typical issue with Pentile is not really noticeable any more. Also, Samsung has improved their Pentile Matrix displays where the Z30 appears to use the first iterations of the displays.
    10-27-13 12:25 PM
    OK just putting in my two cents worth here... I can agree that the screen is not as high a resolution as the Z10 or other flagship phones from Samsung or LG (though if I recall correctly the nexus 4 was also a 720p screen though not pentile). but calling the screen quality abysmal is just inaccurate. I think we should have already expected the shift to 720p for all future screens for BlackBerry smartphones as it was stated before (the Z10 only got that higher resolution screen to keep in line with the Dev alpha).

From my experience with it so far, and bear in mind I use the standard font size of 8, sometimes smaller, the screen is most definitely sharp enough for anyone's purposes. The only reason for a higher resolution screen would be if we were looking at this on a 6"+ screen. I have to look incredibly close up to see any individual pixels or see any jagged edges in text. This is coming from someone who has better than 20/20 vision.

I am not saying in any way that the screen is amazing, or that it bests all other screens on the market, or that it isn't more saturated than non AMOLED screens (personally can't complain there as I like a bit more colour saturation to some extent and it doesn't seem to affect photo reproduction so far from my experiences). Just saying that the screen is still very good. Besides, I would trade slightly blue whites for better and more true black tones and longer battery life any day.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    10-27-13 12:36 PM
    Well said, reading these comments I can't help but think of audiophile types, comparing hi end audio equipment when in reality 99% of the population can not tell the difference. You would have to be pretty anal to say the screen on the Z30 isn't a very good screen.

Pdinos3 and leehardballer12 like this.
    10-27-13 11:24 PM
269 1234 ...