Tell us what you do for a living (or at least I personally think that impacts what you would find to be more productive).

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 09:48 AM
    Tell us what you do for a living (or at least I personally think that impacts what you would find to be more productive).

Posted via CB10
    I'm a Project Manager. The key items for me are to be on top of all communications regardless of source (email, IM, SMS, etc...), be able to work with a variety of file types (nothing fancy really), and be able to quickly jot down information and collaborate either with co-workers or clients.
    02-16-14 10:09 AM
    Just downloaded the Playcloud app, it offers Google drive. Very nice app, you can access all your cloud services from the one app.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 10:10 AM
    I realize this is a BB fan site, and I love BB, but it bothers me when I see people giving false information about a competitive device to push your own agenda, Z30 is lovely, and I'm sure for some is the most productive device, for others the note 3 will win, different strokes, but to call the note 3 sluggish and buggy is pushing it a bit. Yes it has some gimmicky software installed, so what? Don't use it, easy, we have 18 note 3s in my department, had since launch, not a single problem, after a learning curve everyone fell in love with the S pen, and multi window capabilites, I can say that, at least with my group, it has been a 100% success.
    randall2580 and Rello like this.
    02-16-14 10:23 AM
    @Zipro

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I am limited to what my carrier offers, which more or less means no Windows Phone (I'm with Bell in Canada). I've used Windows Phone in the past, and have been impressed with it. My only real issue with it is the lack of true file storage and manipulation. Having to use Skydrive is clunky for when I need to work with multiple files at once.

I actually bought the N5 on release. It's a very nice device, by and large, but suffered from 2 things. Poor battery life, and little in the way of integrated productivity. Stock Android is definitely nice and smooth, but it lacks certain features that really help you get the most out of your device. You can build up on that with apps from the Play Store, but then you run the issue of a lack of real integration amongst them. The value additions from OEMs can really be handy.

The Z1 would be on my radar more if it weren't for the screen. Sony has terribly washed out colours, including blacks that look more like greys, as well as bad viewing angles. I'm 100% fine with 720p screens (heck, I actually prefer them to save on battery life), but I like to see screens that pop. For that reason, I tend to stick to AMOLED ones.

Thanks for the feedback though. It's great to get multiple perspectives, and your thoughts on the lag with the Note 3, especially across so many units is very useful.
    OP, just curious, are you bound contractually to Bell? Other Carriers provide good services as well.
    02-16-14 10:25 AM
    My productivity has jumped 10 fold on the z30... so much integration. I just have issues with syncing to my outlook calendar on occasion. I'm sure I'll figure it out

Posted from my Z30 on CB10
    02-16-14 10:53 AM
    The BB10 HUB does give you the option to easily search by sender. This search will turn up all communication with the sender including you call log. All you have to do is select/hold the email, text, tweet or whatever in the HUB and a menu will appear from the right. One of the icons on this menu is to search by sender. Simple tap the icon and everything in the HUB from that sender is displayed. I love this feature.
    Another feature I like is the short cuts to posing on Facebook. I believe it also works for Twitter as well but I do not have a Twitter account so I do not know for sure. The short cut is to get the keyboard to come up by taping the �Search� icon at the bottom of the screen. Once the keyboard come up simply type �fb �. Once you hit the space after the fb it will allow you type you statue update and display a �post� button. Once you have finished your statues update simply tap �post� and you are done. No need to be in an app or in the HUB. I believe the same shortcut works for Twitter but with the letter �tw �.
    02-16-14 11:10 AM
    Thanks for the replies!

While I'm definitely experienced and familiar with Android, my 1st mobile OS love will always be WebOS. One of the things that I find appealing about BB10 is the gesture use that seems at least passingly similar to WebOS.

In terms of productivity, I think the items I'm looking at hardest are:

- How accessible is the Hub in regards to keeping important information easy to find. I like the idea in theory, but I worry that too much information from too many sources in one place could dilute access.

- I'm a big fan and user of Evernote, and I understand that there is some tight integration at play. Does it present real value in terms of keeping information easy to access and edit?

- My big concern with BB10 is the lack of Google integration. While I'm not deeply entrenched, I do use Drive quite a bit. I'm not opposed to switching to a new service, but is there anything available that works as elegantly and also offers the ability to collaborate on documents?

- The big appeal to me for the Note 3 is the S Pen. It seems like a very powerful productivity tool that I can see a lot of use for. Are there any BB10 features that may not be as wide known but offer some awesome productivity as well?

Thanks!
    - The Hub is wonderfully searchable and filterable (by account, message, and attachments). I seriously feel lost on an Android or iPhone having developed proficiency with the Hub and its instantaneous access to everything in or out.

- Evernote is integrated with Remember, which I use for everything I need to remember (work notes, pictures of documents, wifi keys, lists). If it's in Remember or Evernote, it's instantly searchable from the home screen.

- I can't speak to this point, hopefully someone else can.

- depends on what you're most likely to use. I would consider "flick-typing" a productivity feature that is excellent and used every time you pick up the device. Adaptive sharing is another (it knows who I send certain file types to and with which account or service). Remote File Access is excellent, as is the native File Manager in general, integrating Dropbox, Box, Media Card, USB Host, Device Storage, and remote computers accessible with BlackBerry Link.

Hope this helps!

Posted via CB10
    sianto and gfondeur like this.
    02-16-14 11:23 AM
    I just wanted to clear something up. The pinch gesture in the hub can bring up your unread messages but you can set it to bring up other message groups as well. I have my pinch to pull up priority messages. You can also set the pinch to bring up flagged messages or level one alerts or meeting invites. There are several options.

Posted via CB10
    drfever, lotuslanderz and gfondeur like this.
    02-16-14 11:24 AM
    OP I have 19 types of messages setup in my HUB, 9 of them are email accounts, and I don't feel it clustered.

BlackBerry 10 OS offers so many ways to manage all different messages, we just need to find the system that works for ourselves. Mine might be different from yours but I do believe everyone can find a way to manage it.

About multi-tasking, just want to give an example in real world application: in BB10 if a task takes a while to complete, i.e. starting an heavy app or loading a slow page, you may switch to a different app and work over there for a while, later when you switch back you will find the task is done in the background, in stead of paused. This allows me to work as fast as I can, not holding back by the phone or network speed. Not sure if Note III supports this type of true multi-tasking. If It does, then Z30 does it too.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    gfondeur likes this.
    02-16-14 12:37 PM
    Background: I haven't used the Note 3 but have compared side by side with my friend's.

If you need Drive, you can get it using an app called Playcloud. It also has SugarSync, SkyDrive, and a very nice secure FTP client built in. It fits in nicely with the local storage so it's wicked quick to move files around. That said, I don't use it much because I prefer Dropbox integration with the built-in file manager and Link to my home computer. Remote file access is an awesome feature.

The search on BB10 is nothing short of amazing. It has made me much more productive. You can easily find emails, texts, documents, apps, contacts, pages in browser history, songs -- whatever -- it finds it within your typing three or four characters. To me, this is a huge productivity boost.

The keyboard... well, yeah, it saves a lot of time and trouble.

Remember is an impressive productivity tool, and I've only started to use it recently after using BB10 for a few months.

Docs2Go -- very nice and well integrated with groups, calendar, email, etc.

Lots of other stuff... but I'll tell you my experience with Android on a new "high end" Samsung device:

It's like a young woman who does makeup and accessories well so she looks kinda hot but really isn't. She ages unbelievably fast and gets laggy and naggy within months.

This part is personal preference, but to me the size of the Note 3 is absurd. I don't want a mobile computer that won't fit in my breast pocket. It just seems very emasculating to me, but then I'm an Alpha kind of dude. I won't carry a man purse - ever.

If I need a bigger screen, the Z30 makes it easy. Miracast, Wifi direct, DLNA, HDMI If it's an older unit... and it uses 1080p on those screens when it counts.

Anyway, my personal experience with BlackBerry is still pretty fresh, but I VERY much prefer it to my experience with Samsung.

That said, the Note 3 looks like an OK device and it might work for you. Just don't be surprised if the split screen and stylus aren't looking so hot in the productivity department after a couple months of use.

Speaking of the split screen: gimmick. Active Frames on BB10 gives me the equivalent of eight screens, basically.

Anyway, I'm typing too much. Too easy to do on this beautiful beast...

One more thing: Battery life -- you'll never worry about it with the Z30. Note 3 might be good that way too, but I can tell you that the S4 did not live up to its hype. The Z30 -- wow on power management.

Good luck. Whatever you get, I hope you're happy with it.
    Note 3 battery life is amazing.
    02-16-14 01:07 PM
    Hi all,

Just want to thank everyone again for their thoughts, experience and opinions. They are actually quite helpful and are giving me an even better idea of what the Z30 is capable of. You can read all the online reviews in the world, but I find that real world use by those that use the device as a daily driver is very, very important.

Also, this really isn't about which device is "better". Both devices absolutely have strengths and weaknesses. This is more about trying to narrow down which device is better suited to my needs. I came in with a stronger understanding of the Note 3, having been an Android user for a good while. There has been some awesome feedback on that device too though, which is also heavily valued.

I think that the big feature "show down" really comes down to the Hub versus the S Pen, and which will be the better tool to keep me moving as efficiently as possible. And while I think there are some missed opportunities, the Hub seems to be an awfully strong feature. The S Pen still seems like a great addition, but I see myself getting frustrated with the size of the handset when on the move.

While nothing is set in stone as of yet, I am leaning towards the Z30, but am strongly considering picking up a Note series tablet to replace my aging Nexus 7 (2012). I'm thinking that the S Pen would actually work even better on a tablet sized screen, and allow for better content creation. The Z30 on the other hand, seems like the better choice when it comes to messaging and keeping track of work information, which is likely what my prime need for a handset will be.

My next step is to head over to a store that has a functional Z30 unit available for a test drive (which could be challenging as they don't appear to be out all that often).
    Dale Lindley likes this.
    02-16-14 01:42 PM
    Hi Shawn, that's some solid research you did there in this thread. You clearly know what you want from your next device, I am sure you will make intelligent choice fits your needs.

If possible, would you please keep us posted on your decision? And if that happens to be a Z30, would you please also update us on your findings, after a few weeks of usage, in terms of how this device improves your productivity, or, simply you overall impression about how it compare with the Android experience you had before?

I am sure many extremely satisfied Z30 users would love to hear insights and reviews from an Android power user whose emphasis happens to be productivity.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.1925+1926 radio
    collinc93 and rusty502 like this.
    02-16-14 06:23 PM

While nothing is set in stone as of yet, I am leaning towards the Z30, but am strongly considering picking up a Note series tablet to replace my aging Nexus 7 (2012). I'm thinking that the S Pen would actually work even better on a tablet sized screen, and allow for better content creation. The Z30 on the other hand, seems like the better choice when it comes to messaging and keeping track of work information, which is likely what my prime need for a handset will be.
    This is exactly the configuration I would have gone. The Z30 is a better phone and communication device. The Note Series tablet is a stunning example of innovation. The s-pen will not disappoint on a larger (tablet sized) screen. The Note III, however is just too small a screen for it to shine but too big for a daily driver phone. And just too cluttered!

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 11:30 PM
    I'm a Project Manager. The key items for me are to be on top of all communications regardless of source (email, IM, SMS, etc...), be able to work with a variety of file types (nothing fancy really), and be able to quickly jot down information and collaborate either with co-workers or clients.
    Most others have already mentioned various selling points of the bb10 OS vs Android - as far as being on top of communications I can say that BlackBerry does this the best, without a question.

BBM screen share, video chat, and voice call aids in collaborative type of work and with the recent additon of "glympse" (where you can track the location of friends so you know their ETAS etc or if they get lost etc) it makes it even more so. One thing people don't talk about much is the voice calling through bbm is SO CLEAR it's like if you had the HD equivalent of TV's in a phone, then that's how i'd describe bbm voice - it's HD.

Now having said all that - Google integration is at the moment, not good so if you use Google services a lot, then it'll be cumbersome.

In terms fluidity and efficiency, I don't think any other OS can touch BlackBerry, not by a long shot.

Now, if you find yourself using a pen to jot quick notes down or diagrams, then the S-Pen is a big bonus. Also, using the dual screen feature looks pretty good as well. And of course, android apps still run better on android phones and you also get Google services.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 12:12 AM
    I love my Q10

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes"
    02-17-14 01:07 AM
    Note 3 battery life is amazing. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/ujapynav.jpg
    Not that great, actually. I would have expected better from such a big battery. Thanks for sharing though!

My Z30 does better than that, and it's in constant use.
    02-17-14 07:53 AM
    Not that great, actually. I would have expected better from such a big battery. Thanks for sharing though!

Thats great battery use, especially considering that he's able to use widgets as well as get push notifications for everything (from apps standpoint). That's one critical weakness for os 10.2.1. The os finally has headless api's, however a lot of the apps have not been updated to take advantage of the feature.

Sent from my  using Tapatalk
    02-17-14 08:05 AM

How's this
    02-17-14 08:44 AM
    I have a Z30 also, not even close for me on screen on time, and if this isn't enough, I can swap batteries.
    02-17-14 08:47 AM
    I just love how i can update word/excel documents on my phone and send them back to my computer and keep going! BB10!
    02-17-14 08:56 AM
    The Hub has an Attachment feature which is great when u need to access documents fast.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    02-17-14 09:06 AM

lol really? you are joking, right?
    02-17-14 11:42 AM
    I have a Z30 also, not even close for me on screen on time, and if this isn't enough, I can swap batteries.
    How are you measuring screen-on time on bbos10? I know from the stock battery stats, it'll only show the percentage of the display. But doing the math of the percentage and total battery time doesnt actually give you the exact time that the display was actually on since I think, also counts other factors of the screen such as the gesture detection stuff

On my z10, i used the android app "gsam" and it only showed me getting around 2 hours 30 minutes of screen on time.
    02-17-14 11:45 AM
    How are you measuring screen-on time on bbos10? I know from the stock battery stats, it'll only show the percentage of the display. But doing the math of the percentage and total battery time doesnt actually give you the exact time that the display was actually on since I think, also counts other factors of the screen such as the gesture detection stuff

On my z10, i used the android app "gsam" and it only showed me getting around 2 hours 30 minutes of screen on time.
    Just guessing really, I use both phones about the same, and the note 3 gets noticeably better battery life under hard use, about 20% better by my estimates, but both have awesome batteries. I'm not a heavy gamer, but I use the browser a lot, email, BBM, SMS, docs to go, Dropbox, maps take notes...... Both will easily get me through a 12 hour day.
    02-17-14 11:59 AM
84 1234