View Poll Results: Should BlackBerry sell the Z30 directly to US consumers?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I want to buy a Z30 direct from BB!

43 87.76%
  • No. I'm a Verizon customer and will buy it there

2 4.08%
  • No. I'm not interested in buying a Z30

2 4.08%
  • I'm undecided

0 0%
  • I don't care either way

2 4.08%
    I'm a Z10 owner & I'm extremely interested in purchasing a Z30. The problem is that AT&T doesn't carry it, and there's no guarantee that they will.

I know that I could probably pick one up on ebay or several other places, but it's often difficult to determine what version it is & whether or not it'll work on my particular network (AT&T ). The info on CB.com is somewhat inconsistent. Some report that they're not getting LTE, while others report that they are with their purchased Z30's.

I would like to make it clear to BlackBerry that there is a market for their devices in the US- particularly for the Z30. We all know that a big part of BlackBerry's problem here is that US carriers, or at least the sales reps on the ground, are a huge barrier to BlackBerry's success. More often than not, they turn consumers AWAY from BlackBerry devices, even when we request them.

How many people would like to see BlackBerry sell the Z30 unlocked in the US, sooner rather than later?
    12-08-13 04:43 PM
    If you're an AT&T customer, I'm afraid there won't be a directly sold Z30 unless AT&T picks the phone up. BB is not going to manufacture this model unless their major buyer--AT&T places an order. They're never going to sell more off of their website than a carrier would, because that's how phones sell here: through the carriers. It would be a pretty expensive manufacturing run to make the AT&T model to sell just off of shopblackberry.
    12-08-13 05:02 PM
    I've read that that 100-5 works very well with T-Mobile here in the US. I'm hoping that they sell directly online at shop BlackBerry. It may not be perfect but better than ebay.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    12-08-13 05:45 PM
    I'm interested in buying from blackberry instead of an importer, because of my warranty concerns.
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    12-08-13 06:08 PM
    Have the AT&T crowd considered posting on the BlackBerry or AT&T Facebook page, it worked for Rogers and AT&T numbers should be somewhere near 80 gazillion times the Rogers customer base. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 06:26 PM
    OP, the reason why some are saying they get LTE and others are saying they don't is because of which spectrum AT&T is using and where. They have select markets where they are deploying LTE on 850 mHz, while the majority of their LTE markets use 700 mHz... though I can't recall the exact band.

This all said, one still should be getting HSPA+ speeds which are very good for most people, but I understand the desire for LTE instead.

The most effective option would be if enough people sent a very clear message to AT&T concerning the Z30, by either calling and requesting it repeatedly, writing on their Facebook page, or voting with their wallet and moving over to Verizon (for contract) or T-Mobile (for importing from Canada).

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    12-08-13 06:54 PM
    As nice as this phone is I don't think it will happen. They will probably pick up the next version when and if it gets released. Sucks to cause this is really a solid phone.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    12-08-13 07:45 PM
    If you're an AT&T customer, I'm afraid there won't be a directly sold Z30 unless AT&T picks the phone up. BB is not going to manufacture this model unless their major buyer--AT&T places an order. They're never going to sell more off of their website than a carrier would, because that's how phones sell here: through the carriers. It would be a pretty expensive manufacturing run to make the AT&T model to sell just off of shopblackberry.
    BlackBerry is currently selling unlocked Q10's (both colors) and Z10's (both colors) direct to consumers in the US on their website. They're doing this despite the fact that all of the major carriers, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, & Sprint are carrying at least one of the BB10 devices.

I don't think they need to manufacture an AT&T branded or specific device. They could simply use the same model that's being used by another LTE provider. I believe both AT&T and T-Mobile in the US are using a 1700MHz band. It's been widely reported that the STA-100-5 model works on AT&T & T-Mobile's network, and some have even reported LTE speeds. Those who travel to the US from Canada or the UK are able to use their devices here on US carrier networks, so I'm not seeing how BlackBerry would need to manufacture something specific to AT&T without an agreement for AT&T to carry the device.

I'm not claiming that they'd sell more on their site than they'd sell through the carriers. However, no US carrier, other than Verizon Wireless, has announced plans to carry the Z30. If AT&T doesn't sell the phone at all, BlackBerry would certainly sell more online than the zero that they'd sell through AT&T.
    12-09-13 03:06 PM
    Have the AT&T crowd considered posting on the BlackBerry or AT&T Facebook page, it worked for Rogers and AT&T numbers should be somewhere near 80 gazillion times the Rogers customer base. Just a thought.

Posted via CB10
    That's a good idea. I'd like to encourage my fellow AT&T users to post a request on their Facebook page. And we should also post the request to sell direct on BlackBerry's page. I do hope there are enough users right here on CrackBerry to get their attention as well!
    12-09-13 03:08 PM
    Operators have contract these days with brands like Apple,Nokia or samsung and BlackBerry could be damage some sale profit or discount.

In the netherlands it's the same and they really force sales people to sale particular one brand or two. The sales people also get an extra bonus to sell that brand so someone asking a blackberry you tell it sucks 10 time and Nokia is much better in use and protection, or whatever.

That's how it works these days

POSTED via my Z30 BEAST
    12-09-13 03:26 PM
    BlackBerry is currently selling unlocked Q10's (both colors) and Z10's (both colors) direct to consumers in the US on their website. They're doing this despite the fact that all of the major carriers, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, & Sprint are carrying at least one of the BB10 devices.

I don't think they need to manufacture an AT&T branded or specific device. They could simply use the same model that's being used by another LTE provider. I believe both AT&T and T-Mobile in the US are using a 1700MHz band. It's been widely reported that the STA-100-5 model works on AT&T & T-Mobile's network, and some have even reported LTE speeds. Those who travel to the US from Canada or the UK are able to use their devices here on US carrier networks, so I'm not seeing how BlackBerry would need to manufacture something specific to AT&T without an agreement for AT&T to carry the device.

I'm not claiming that they'd sell more on their site than they'd sell through the carriers. However, no US carrier, other than Verizon Wireless, has announced plans to carry the Z30. If AT&T doesn't sell the phone at all, BlackBerry would certainly sell more online than the zero that they'd sell through AT&T.
    Won't work with the Z30. The AT&T Z10 and Q10 weren't "unique" to AT&T, so they were manufactured in large numbers (for use on AT&T and also Bell+Telus+Rogers.) These models did have AT&T's primary LTE band--700 MHz, band 17 (not 1700, band 4)--which is missing in any commercially available Z30s. So a special Z30 will have to manufactured for use on AT&T, since BB didn't put this band in any other model.
    12-09-13 10:52 PM
    Right now I'm using Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.1055. On tmobile and get no lte yet I have a friend who in on att with same phone and does have lte...

Squircle device powered by 10.2.1.1055
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    12-09-13 11:02 PM
    Even at Verizon where the Z30 is exclusive, you have to order online or order in a store. There is not a single Verizon store in the US stocking Z30's. They are all direct to fulfillment.

Sent via CB10 app
    12-09-13 11:17 PM
    I purchased the Verizon STA-3 and it works beautifully with AT&T. Haven't seen any LTE yet but the 4G speed is plenty fast enough for me. If I can't live without LTE I'll switch to Verizon who has it fully covered. That's why I got their specific model so I could have the option to switch over if I wasn't happy with the phone on AT&T.

Z30 / STA 100-3 / 10.2.1.1055
    12-10-13 12:01 AM
    Right now I'm using Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.1055. On tmobile and get no lte yet I have a friend who in on att with same phone and does have lte...
    See...that makes absolutely no sense. Why would one network be locked out of LTE while another gets it on the same band?

(I'm not doubting your experience, just trying to figure out what's going on)
    12-10-13 10:41 AM
    Won't work with the Z30. The AT&T Z10 and Q10 weren't "unique" to AT&T, so they were manufactured in large numbers (for use on AT&T and also Bell+Telus+Rogers.) These models did have AT&T's primary LTE band--700 MHz, band 17 (not 1700, band 4)--which is missing in any commercially available Z30s. So a special Z30 will have to manufactured for use on AT&T, since BB didn't put this band in any other model.
    AT&T uses 700 & 1700, among other frequencies. Getting a Z30 into the hands of AT&T subscribers isn't only about LTE speeds, although that would be nice. Some users have reporting getting LTE speeds using unlocked Verizon Z30's. Even if I purchase an iPhone directly from AT&T with AT&T branding, there's no guarantee that I will get LTE coverage throughout the entire USA. BB could make it clear that LTE speeds aren't guaranteed.

Pressure BB to sell Z30 direct in US!-attlte.png
    There's some good info on Wikipedia on global LTE networks found here (by region): List of LTE networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Attached Thumbnails Pressure BB to sell Z30 direct in US!-nam-lte.png  
    12-10-13 11:55 AM
    Why pressure them? If they are idiots to not figure out that they should sell it unlocked then let them have their own cake of fail
    12-10-13 12:06 PM
    AT&T uses 700 & 1700, among other frequencies. Getting a Z30 into the hands of AT&T subscribers isn't only about LTE speeds, although that would be nice. Some users have reporting getting LTE speeds using unlocked Verizon Z30's. Even if I purchase an iPhone directly from AT&T with AT&T branding, there's no guarantee that I will get LTE coverage throughout the entire USA. BB could make it clear that LTE speeds aren't guaranteed.
    Going back to, or assuming an official position of "LTE may or may not work" does not suit a 2013 flagship phone, especially one priced in the $500-600 range, and one with other existing shortcomings as is. HSPA is soon going to be dated network technology, and I personally would like to somewhat "future-proof" my phone. However, if someone's ok with knowingly buying a phone on which they will at best get HSPA+, more power to them.
    12-10-13 12:21 PM
    Going back to, or assuming an official position of "LTE may or may not work" does not suit a 2013 flagship phone, especially one priced in the $500-600 range, and one with other existing shortcomings as is. HSPA is soon going to be dated network technology, and I personally would like to somewhat "future-proof" my phone. However, if someone's ok with knowingly buying a phone on which they will at best get HSPA+, more power to them.
    I know what you mean. The z30 is a great phone but sadly I had to go back to my Note 3 for now because of Network speed. Not only was I only getting HSPA( which I knew ahead of time) but the HSPA connection was not reliable for whatever reason.

Web browsing would just hang when surfing. Initially was gonna port to Verizon if I wasn't happy with HSPA but just can't bring myself to do it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    12-12-13 04:21 AM
    I'm a Z10 owner & I'm extremely interested in purchasing a Z30. The problem is that AT&T doesn't carry it, and there's no guarantee that they will.

I know that I could probably pick one up on ebay or several other places, but it's often difficult to determine what version it is & whether or not it'll work on my particular network (AT&T ). The info on CB.com is somewhat inconsistent. Some report that they're not getting LTE, while others report that they are with their purchased Z30's.

I would like to make it clear to BlackBerry that there is a market for their devices in the US- particularly for the Z30. We all know that a big part of BlackBerry's problem here is that US carriers, or at least the sales reps on the ground, are a huge barrier to BlackBerry's success. More often than not, they turn consumers AWAY from BlackBerry devices, even when we request them.

How many people would like to see BlackBerry sell the Z30 unlocked in the US, sooner rather than later?
    Just my opinion in reference to the US carriers. Apple, Samsung and Microsoft spend a lot of money in advertising. BlackBerry, like mentioned 1000x on Crackberry doesn't do hardly anything in advertising. I'm thinking that the carriers might feel that if the manufacturer doesn't spend money on advertising their own products, why should we? I myself I'm with tmobile, when the Z10 was available I just ordered it though Best Buy. Didn't even try to go to a store to see or touch the dam thing. Why, no matter what I was getting one. Carriers know BlackBerry faithfuls are going to get a BlackBerry, even if the sales person is clueless. Why train somebody, most of us don't care what the salesman say. Heck, if someone comes into the store and needs a phone right away, they got the other manufacturers sitting there. Didn't mean to ramble, but so many people blame the US carriers for BlackBerrys lack of sales, but their doing it to themselves.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:52 AM
    That's already the case with LTE, and it was the case with 3G. No US carrier has 100% 2G, 3G, 4G, or LTE coverage. There are always pockets of either no service or a reduction to an older network. Many T-Mobile and AT&T Z30 owners have reported getting LTE in some cities (based on the band that's deployed) or HSPA+ speeds more commonly.

Anyone considering purchasing a device without going through their carrier likely understands the risks but is capable of making that decision him/herself. Z30's are currently being sold "unlocked" on Amazon, eBay, etc., etc., so I'm not clear as to why you don't think it would be a good strategy for BlackBerry to do it directly. The carriers here have already shunned them, so what do they have to lose? They could eliminate some of the confusion over which devices work where and sell more phones. I see nothing but upside for BlackBerry.

I'd really hate to see another $1B write down of Z30's because of a lack of US carrier support and an inability to get the devices into the hands of the few consumers here who want them. It's beyond time to get creative.
    12-14-13 02:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    I think CB.com, Facebook, Twitter, and any other outlets would be great.
    12-14-13 02:36 PM
    Just my opinion in reference to the US carriers. Apple, Samsung and Microsoft spend a lot of money in advertising. BlackBerry, like mentioned 1000x on Crackberry doesn't do hardly anything in advertising. I'm thinking that the carriers might feel that if the manufacturer doesn't spend money on advertising their own products, why should we? I myself I'm with tmobile, when the Z10 was available I just ordered it though Best Buy. Didn't even try to go to a store to see or touch the dam thing. Why, no matter what I was getting one. Carriers know BlackBerry faithfuls are going to get a BlackBerry, even if the sales person is clueless. Why train somebody, most of us don't care what the salesman say. Heck, if someone comes into the store and needs a phone right away, they got the other manufacturers sitting there. Didn't mean to ramble, but so many people blame the US carriers for BlackBerrys lack of sales, but their doing it to themselves.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that BlackBerry could do a heck of a lot more to promote their products. But I do still feel like carriers are intentionally trying to undermine BlackBerry sales. I've personally experienced too many times sales people who question why I'm looking at/asking about BlackBerry devices instead of this great Android device. It's happened to me, my wife, and numerous people on this site. It gets ridiculous after a while. But it's working for the masses.
    12-14-13 02:43 PM
    Is it possible that BlackBerry actually agreed to give Verizon exclusive rights to this phone in the US for some period of time?

If so, wouldn't they have to wait until that exclusivity period ends?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    12-14-13 03:04 PM
    I would like to know if the exclusive agreement was truly exclusive or the other carriers not joining in. The first would be the worst decision for BlackBerry to make. Verizon has done nothing with the agreement. The latter would be bad news for BlackBerry as it means they can't even convince the carriers to sell their phones.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 06:55 PM
28 12