Hey gang! Its been a very long time!

My Z30's power button died awhile ago so I depended on soft resets and power on resets (when the battery drained) to get by. I was doing an upgrade and the device was in the process of powering off for a reboot. It has not returned.

Is there a way to manually power the Z30 on (hard reset?) or is my Z30 finally finished?
    Last edited by tstrike34; 02-03-17 at 06:11 AM.
    02-02-17 06:58 AM
    Hey gang! Its been a very long time!

My Z30's power button died awhile ago so I depended on soft resets and power on resets (when the battery drained) to get by. I was doing an upgrade and the device was in the process of powering off for a reboot. It has not returned.

Is there a way to manually power the Z30 on (hard reset?) or is my Z30 finally finished?
    Soft Reset is the same as a Hard Reset.
    Hard Reset means you pull out and re-insert the battery.
    Soft Reset means you perform the function of a Hard Reset by use of a button/key press procedure because the battery is non-removable.
    • Z30 = Press and Hold the Volume UP and DOWN buttons at the same time, holding for more that 10 seconds, then releasing.

As for your power button issue, can you describe better what is wrong with it?
    (I looked through your postings on CrackBerry, but didn't spot one having to do with the power button)
    We may be able to offer some fixes or work arounds or such better with that info.
    02-02-17 08:59 AM
    Connect to pc it will on

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 09:01 AM
    Soft Reset is the same as a Hard Reset.
    Hard Reset means you pull out and re-insert the battery.
    Soft Reset means you perform the function of a Hard Reset by use of a button/key press procedure because the battery is non-removable.
    • Z30 = Press and Hold the Volume UP and DOWN buttons at the same time, holding for more that 10 seconds, then releasing.

As for your power button issue, can you describe better what is wrong with it?
    (I looked through your postings on CrackBerry, but didn't spot one having to do with the power button)
    We may be able to offer some fixes or work arounds or such better with that info.

I went ahead and disassembled the Z30 to examine it for signs of physical damage (it was easy to disassemble). I surmise that the middle chassis power button is completely worn out. The power button came off but there was a grommet that facilitates the power button's functions. The Unit failed to respond to power up (which led me to completely disassemble the Z30).

From reading I will have to replace that chassis.
    02-03-17 08:57 AM
    I went ahead and disassembled the Z30 to examine it for signs of physical damage (it was easy to disassemble). I surmise that the middle chassis power button is completely worn out. The power button came off but there was a grommet that facilitates the power button's functions. The Unit failed to respond to power up (which led me to completely disassemble the Z30).

From reading I will have to replace that chassis.
    Middle housings are very easy to replace and cheap.
    Is your Z30 the STA100-3 Verizon model or not?
    If not, see such as:
    Blackberry Z30 Middle Frame Housing | eBay

If it is a STA100-3 Verizon model, it has a physically different Middle Frame (along with all the other frames and large parts) and they will not fit with other Z30 model parts.
    They are much trickier to find, make sure to specify the seller's part is for the STA100-3 only.

BTW, you may want to consider paying a few dollars extra and get the Middle Frame that already has a battery installed, as there is risk of damaging the battery by peeling it out of the bad housing to assemble into the replacement housing. They are double sided sticky taped in quite well and the batteries are not rigid. They tend to want to curl and bend as you are working the tape loose.
    WARNING: The Lithium material inside of the Z30 battery can violently spontaneously ignite if the battery's body is pierced, internally shorted, or the internal material come in contact with water or moisture.
    So take care in removing one from the Z30.
    Last edited by DaFoxGrey; 02-03-17 at 10:33 AM.
    02-03-17 10:21 AM