07-17-14 04:49 PM
27 12
tools
    I've been contemplating about changing out the original pseudo-silver band that wraps around the Z30 with a band made out of actual Stainless Steel. I would also like to switch out the plastic volume rocker and power button with Stainless Steel versions of said buttons as well. I think this would not only look tremendously awesome and take the look of the phone to a whole new level, it would also significantly increase its durability / reliability and button responsiveness. I'm one of those individuals who loves using their phone (particularly my Z30) naked (without a case) & I have unfortunately dropped my phone a couple of times and it has chipped away at my Z30's plastic gray band. I still enjoy my Z30, but it looks somewhat bad now because of all the dropping and general wear and tear. If anyone knows of a company that can make this customization for me or otherwise make this happen (or if this is even possible), please let me know and I will be truly grateful! Thanks all

P.S.: If I actually end up doing this, I will be sure to share pictures of my upgraded Z30!

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 03:05 AM
    are those parts available for the z30?
    07-11-14 10:42 AM
    I believe the frame around the phone is not plastic but an alloy. Same as the "chin" at the bottom.

c
    07-11-14 12:04 PM
    It's magnesium alloy I believe not plastic

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 12:07 PM
    Thanks for all of the responses I mean if it's really alloy and not plastic, then how come it isn't holding up all too well? Like I said before, I've accidentally dropped my Z30 a few times but nothing too serious (as in, I dropped it down flights of stairs or something like that), but the sides of it have chipped away a bit and you see the innards of the phone itself. As for the possibility of getting a customized Stainless steel frame for my Z30, I would still love to see if that is possible.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 01:19 PM
    If you get this done please share.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 01:36 PM
    Thanks for all of the responses I mean if it's really alloy and not plastic, then how come it isn't holding up all too well? Like I said before, I've accidentally dropped my Z30 a few times but nothing too serious (as in, I dropped it down flights of stairs or something like that), but the sides of it have chipped away a bit and you see the innards of the phone itself. As for the possibility of getting a customized Stainless steel frame for my Z30, I would still love to see if that is possible.

Posted via CB10
    Please post pictures of the damage.

So far as I know, the only "plastic" part of that surround is the piece of the back cover that conceals the SD and SIM slots.
    07-11-14 01:49 PM
    Off the top of my head that sounds like an expensive endeavour as you would have to machine it your self or have a small shop fab it up. Not impossible but probably not easy or cheap for a one off, but best of luck there maybe someone already making something similar already.
    07-11-14 03:49 PM
    Interesting! Keep us post.
    07-11-14 04:40 PM
    I've never seen any aftermarket parts for the Z30. I've just seen Q10 ones, usually painted keyboards and stuff.

Do you not like the gray band?
    lazypapichulo21 and oo_se7en like this.
    07-11-14 04:51 PM
    If the silver chin is of a magnesium alloy, mine is starting to wear off and turn black. This is just from wear of placing it back in the Blackberry leather holster. The silver is going away. I never liked the silver chin. I can almost say that one could take a dremel with a buffing wheel and polish it black.
    Last edited by JORENO; 07-11-14 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-11-14 05:03 PM
    If the silver chin is of a magnesium alloy, mine is starting to wear of and turn black. This is just from wear of placing it back in the Blackberry leather holster. The silver is going away. I never liked the silver chin. I can almost say that one could take a dremel with a buffing wheel and polish it black.
    It's definitely not magnesium alloy. I've chipped mine several times and even broke off a piece just above the USB port. It's as plastic as it can get.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    07-11-14 05:11 PM
    I am 90% sure it's magnesium alloy. This is a very soft and light metal which is why it doesn't hold up well.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 05:14 PM
    I am 90% sure it's magnesium alloy. This is a very soft and light metal which is why it doesn't hold up well.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 used the magnesium alloy and it was quite durable, much more than the Z30, so if they are using the same material they changed something in the manufacturing process.

07-11-14 05:18 PM
    It's definitely not magnesium alloy. I've chipped mine several times and even broke off a piece just above the USB port. It's as plastic as it can get.

Bet it is plastic.
    07-11-14 05:24 PM
    Bet it is plastic.
    Yeah, I'm quite certain that it is. The piece that broke off too, you could see how it was airbrushed silver, and I inspected the piece closely under magnification...it just looked like a piece of black plastic.
    07-11-14 05:33 PM
    Yeah I've been thinking that it's plastic too. If it was of a stronger material, it would have been holding up much better than it has. And yeah I know changing up for a stainless steel frame will be expensive, but I don't plan on doing this in the immediate future. It's just an idea, on the count of my existing Z30's sides being banged up somewhat. In any case, I wouldn't know of where I could get this type of custom work done anyway. I was wondering if the Crackberry community would know of a company that did custom BlackBerry's. And as for pictures of my Z30, I can't take any right now but I will try to take some this weekend.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-14 06:29 PM
    Isn't it that the frame and the bottom part are just a part of the body? When you take the back cover off, you can see that everything seem to be one part of plastic, just painted around and on the bottom. So if that's true then you would need to replace 50% of your z30 not just a frame. BUT the idea is great. I am working with aluminium, steel and plastic and I can assure that it's too expensive to build single frame. You need a special stamping mould or CNC machine, so it has to be a mass production.

Posted via CB10
    lazypapichulo21 likes this.
    07-12-14 01:45 AM
    Oh wow, I did not know that so much would have to go into it. That's very interesting. I definitely don't think that this is as practical as I previously thought. Ultimately, this is something that I would be interested in doing in the future but for now, I think I'll just stick with what I have now (or maybe order a replacement Z30 in the near future). Thank you very much for your knowledge and expertise.

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 05:34 PM
    Yeah, I'm quite certain that it is. The piece that broke off too, you could see how it was airbrushed silver, and I inspected the piece closely under magnification...it just looked like a piece of black plastic.
    Have you tried melting it?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 06:09 PM
    I've been contemplating about changing out the original pseudo-silver band that wraps around the Z30 with a band made out of actual Stainless Steel. I would also like to switch out the plastic volume rocker and power button with Stainless Steel versions of said buttons as well.
    I think this is a very bad idea. Changing the distribution of metal around the circuit board and antenna is very likely to have a bad impact on antenna matching, radio performance and stability of operation. Remember the iPhone antennagate problem? That's what you would be creating. Even the legendary Paratek antenna would find it a challenge to handle such changes
    Ecm and lazypapichulo21 like this.
    07-12-14 07:06 PM
    I think this is a very bad idea. Changing the distribution of metal around the circuit board and antenna is very likely to have a bad impact on antenna matching, radio performance and stability of operation. Remember the iPhone antennagate problem? That's what you would be creating. Even the legendary Paratek antenna would find it a challenge to handle such changes
    I would agree. I have been an RF Technician for over 30 years now. I would think that changing anything plastic on the phone with metal would upset the antenna performance and matching network. It could possibly also damage the radio in the phone.
    07-13-14 09:13 PM
    Well, with that said, the logistical part of fabricating the piece isn't as hard today as has been mentioned. One of the things I do is rapid prototyping, whereas "one off" pieces like this can be 3D scanned, designed and printed in metals; steel, platinum, bronze, brass, silver, gold, etc. With those latest comments you'd be looking for the metal with the least radiopacity to keep the interference to a minimum.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-14 09:36 PM
    Time to start a part replacement factory in North America, imagine the profits? Sky is the limit! Have parts available for order in all kinds of material. Would need a few engineer types for sure!

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-13-14 09:55 PM
    Thanks for the added responses, everyone It definitely seems like this would be a painstaking endeavor (& one that I'm not particularly ready to embark on, both in time and finances). It would be extremely cool to get it done though and make my Z30 totally unique, but at this point I can just live with buying a bumper case lol. What's the best bumper case out there for the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    07-14-14 03:49 AM
27 12