BlackBerry lost 640 million this year, Too bad. They should really focus on software make a even better job and leave the hardware to someone else.

A little too late..

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 02:57 AM
    Yeah I think it's fair to say BlackBerry are done. Come back from this would take a miracle. I frigging live my z10 too

Posted via CB10
    09-20-13 08:45 AM
    LMAO!!! I want that too.

I'd love to attack a Z30... right into my hot little hands!

Trusted Member Genius
    09-20-13 09:32 AM
    It is just to appeal to the competitive nature of people... people want the best of everything. sometimes they ignore the functionality /truth. I guess people feel there is more 'value for money' when they get higher specs... which is a shame.

Posted via CB10
    This, exactly.
    hazarder likes this.
    09-20-13 09:33 AM
    Make your choice

• Cafe / Cappuccino
    • Windermere
    • Tigris
    • Ontario

... and be patient.
    hey Superfly
    are there any renders of the above leaked new phone names??
    09-20-13 09:42 AM
    I don't know if it's been mentioned but....... has anyone read the reviews of the Motorola Moto X? Incredible high praise about how quick and snappy it is and the specs are nowhere near what "spec addicts" consider great. The whole "my phone is 1/100th of a sec. faster than yours" thing does get old.
    hazarder likes this.
    09-20-13 09:52 AM
    Such a shame to see this happening.
    Especially everyone attacking over the DAMN Specs.
    I'm sorry but MOST People I know who either own an iPhone, or a Samsung phone, don't care sh*t about the specs. All they care is that the phone runs fine and good, lag free if you must. So I ask, why? Why is everyone so obsessed with "outdated" specs? If the phone runs Damn good and smooth, then what is your temper tantrum about?
    If the BlackBerry experience is still enjoyable, shutup.
    Maybe, just maybe(just me speculating) since android, ios, and BlackBerry are three very different OSs, they don't all need the most top-notch specs to run buttery smooth.
    On another note: 720p Vs 1080p
    Really!? "If your put a phone running 720p next to a phone running 1080p it is more than noticeable"- anonymous. Is it really such a difference to the point where, eww that makes me not want a Z30, no!! I personally cannot tell the difference, a little on my TV, less on my smartphones!
    -honestly it just baffles me, the negativety.
    What sold me is the beauty of the phone, the OS, not being ANAL About specs.
    *this is all in good nature, made for friendly exchange
    NO FLAMING

Posted via that z10!
    YES, Totally!

Some people pick on, and push around, others because they are insecure and need to give others the impression that they're stronger and better than someone else. Those people are generally called "Bullies."
    The rest of those people exhibiting such behaviour are generally referred-to as "compensating for something inferior" (usually some physical aspect) ... but those people by-and-large are trying to make themselves feel better.

The other group that's "all-specs" driven and needs only the newst, biggest, fastest and best ... well, they just can't get laid and have no grasp of the concept that not all user-experiences are determined solely by the "numbers."

Unfortunately, all three of those groups seems to be growing in numbers and influence ... and that's a real dilemma.

Just my 2 cents from a penny-less country.
    Cheers & Keep Moving!
    hazarder likes this.
    09-20-13 10:51 AM
    The Z30 looks a good phone but its priced in UK almost the same as Sony Z1/ Samsung galaxy S4, not much hope there,
    a report said Blackberry has a massive pile of unsold devices, the three previous BB10 phones not selling well and discounts of up to 50% to shift stock not a good sign, another fire sale due soon?, a Q10 to go with my playbook from a previous fire sale.
    09-20-13 12:01 PM
    I can only speak for myself. I don't pretend to know how everyone else on the planet feels, but I myself want a return for my money.

Let's compare the Z30 with a phone I purchased almost one full year ago and still use everyday. The LG-made, Google Nexus 4.

Nexus 4 Specs:
    1.5 GHz Quad core CPU - Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro APQ8064
    Adreno 320 GPU - Quad core
    2GB of RAM (Even though the Android Jelly Bean OS only needs 512MB of RAM to work)
    4.7 inches, In Plane Switching display with a resolution of 768 x 1280 pixels (318 ppi)
    16GB worth of storage - No microSD card slot
    Connectivity: HPSA+ = I've had it as fast as 27.6 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up. - No LTE, but who needs it?
    2100mAh battery. Non-removable, but good for 15+ hours of talk time
    Price: $349 at the time I bought mine. As low as $199 recently. That price is contract free. You paid the money, and you owned it.

The Z30 specs:
    1.7GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro dual-core processor,
    Adreno 320 GPU- Quad core
    2GB of RAM (Only because they have to include that much RAM for the OS to function properly)
    5-inch Super AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280 x 720. (295 ppi)
    16GB of internal storage. And there is a microSD slot for media and files, but not apps.
    2880mAh battery. Non-removable. 18 hours of talk time.
    It has all the connectivity options you could ever hope for
    Price: $600ish off contract

The only thing the Z30 has that I would like to see on the Nexus 4 is the SD card slot. Those are useful to have.

If high-end specs aren't needed and aren't used, then why price the Z30 the same or higher than a high-end device? It would honestly be a downgrade for me to move from my nearly 1 year old phone to a brand new Z30. Even though the Z30 would cost more than my old phone. Like I said, I can only speak for myself here. I personally do not believe in paying a premium price for a downgrade. And keep in mind, I'm only mentioning hardware, once you bring in the OS and ecosystems, the Z30 becomes an even worse deal.

My next phone will be the next LG Nexus, which should be coming out sometime next month. Can't wait
    MERCDROID, mset, anon62607 and 1 others like this.
    09-20-13 12:20 PM
    I'm sorry but MOST People I know who either own an iPhone, or a Samsung phone, don't care sh*t about the specs. All they care is that the phone runs fine and good, lag free if you must. So I ask, why? Why is everyone so obsessed with "outdated" specs? If the phone runs Damn good and smooth, then what is your temper tantrum about?
    Maybe, just maybe(just me speculating) since android, ios, and BlackBerry are three very different OSs, they don't all need the most top-notch specs to run buttery smooth.
    Really!? "If your put a phone running 720p next to a phone running 1080p it is more than noticeable"- anonymous. Is it really such a difference to the point where, eww that makes me not want a Z30, no!! I personally cannot tell the difference, a little on my TV, less on my smartphones!
    NO FLAMING

Posted via that z10!
    Not everyone. As for the Z30, I'm very excited that BlackBerry(with all that is happening behind the scenes) will still be able to get the "Big Z" launched. Although, I'm not going to get it, I'm still concerned that the U.S. will have to wait(....to infinity- and beyond) to get one sometime (next year?). I have a tendency to disregard a lot of what is "perceived" as negativity on here. The comments only matter when sales are not as good as expected and some members feel obligated to defend BlackBerry. Ok. But, it's not the Gospel according to BillyBob or Professor Glump. Just another members' opinion.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 09-20-13 at 06:54 PM.
    Azensun likes this.
    09-20-13 12:30 PM
    Lol! Wow! Sorry I was at work
    Thanks for the responses! Glad to see there are others who agree!
    I simply was fed up with coming in these forums and reading nothing but straight negativety

Posted via that z10!
    Yeah the negativety was brought on by RIM and the poor job they have done since 2008. But if the facts and truth upset you then sorry for picking on the poor phone.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    09-20-13 12:33 PM
    2GB of RAM (Even though the Android Jelly Bean OS only needs 512MB of RAM to work)

2GB of RAM (Only because they have to include that much RAM for the OS to function properly)
    Actually, These 2 comments literally baffled me and destroyed any shred of credibility you may or may not have had.

How exactly do you know how BB10 would run on a phone with 512mb of ram? Have you ever disabled RAM on a BB10 device and ran it?

And I've used Jelly Bean on a chinsy tablet with 512 mb of ram. You can do it - but don't look forward to opening too many browser windows or anything.

and FWIW, 512 mb of ram is so dated that it probably costs more to get a 512 mb chip over a 2gb, denser chip, due to increased production of denser memory.
    09-20-13 12:46 PM
    Actually, These 2 comments literally baffled me and destroyed any shred of credibility you may or may not have had.

How exactly do you know how BB10 would run on a phone with 512mb of ram? Have you ever disabled RAM on a BB10 device and ran it?

And I've used Jelly Bean on a chinsy tablet with 512 mb of ram. You can do it - but don't look forward to opening too many browser windows or anything.

and FWIW, 512 mb of ram is so dated that it probably costs more to get a 512 mb chip over a 2gb, denser chip, due to increased production of denser memory.
    I am going by TH. He said the hardware of the PlayBook couldn't run BB10 properly. That isn't word for word what he said, but we got the point. The hardware he spoke of is the 1gb of ram.

Also, I've used BlackBerry 10 on the Dev Alpha A and B, both of which only have 1GB of ram. After seeing how BB10 performs with 1GB of ram, I am pretty sure it wouldn't work at all in its current form on 512mb of ram. After all, my BB10 devices boot up with between 800 and 900 mb worth of ram used. Have you used a BB10 phone? Have you ever noticed how much ram is used just by the OS?

A Android device with 2GB of ram has a bonus amount of ram. A BB10 with 2GB of ram has the required amount of ram.
    MERCDROID and Donvald like this.
    09-20-13 12:54 PM
    And even then the hardware attacks are misdirected. It's great to have options, Android, iOS and all other non-bb users should rejoice that Bob is fighting the good fight (whether they are fighting well is another matter entirely); completion breeds innovation and gives end user a choice.

My trusty droid 4 is still running, I can't seem to let go of the QWERTY keyboard, tried the q10, but the screen is way to small relative to what I'm used to; but I can totally see how that's a non issue for bold/curve users. So, I'll wait and hope BB builds a slider phone, if not z30 is looking great, I have to admit that the all touch keyboard on the z10 is the best I've ever used to the point where I could see myself abandoning a real keyboard. Having said that q10's type-n-go is awesome. I just wish new BBs had a hardware silence switch like the old Trio or even the iPhone.

Sent from my DROID4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-20-13 12:56 PM
    BANKING WEBPAGE. What more experience do I need other than checking my accounts,transferring money, and paying bills? There's nothing to that, my browser experience is Damn near perfect.
    You made a GREAT Point with that last little paragraph. But alas, I have a rebuttal. How many people don't have a smartphone today? How many of those aren't either android based or ios? Hence my point being, nowadays if someone was to make the transition over to BlackBerry chances are they've already experienced the horde of "useless" apps, I for one got tired of it.

Posted via that z10!
    I was about to disagree b/c I really like Fidelity's app for on my Droid, but just loaded the desktop web version through Chrome on my Droid and it's awesome, way better views. if BBs browser can display it in the same way, I couldn't care less about any other apps.

09-20-13 01:03 PM
    [QUOTE=bradu1;9192674. But we know, it's the os that defines that, not the specs.

Posted via CB10[/QUOTE]
    Interesting, to me at least, that my Nokia Lumia 521 has 512 megs of RAM and runs the Windows 8 software smoothly but, according to Blackberry, the 1 GB of RAM on my two Playbooks are not enuf to run BB10 satisfactorily.
    Donvald and Saiga like this.
    09-20-13 01:08 PM
    BlackBerry 10 is a resource hog. People can argue otherwise all they want, but does anyone honestly think that they put 2GB of RAM in all of their new phones just to be ahead of the times? Lol. Nope, that 2GB or RAM is the required amount just to make the device function properly.

Poor Z30 attacked by EVERYONE.-img_00000407.png

Just the BlackBerry 10 OS by itself is using 510mb of RAM.

That is crazy.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    MERCDROID likes this.
    09-20-13 01:18 PM
    I don't want to open a can of worms by asking this, but I'm just curious:
    Could Playbook's hardware handle a version of BBM?
    09-20-13 01:46 PM
    that person will be choose galaxy s4 easily...
    * better screen resolution
    * higher camera megapixels
    * marketing gimmick like air gesture, smartpause , tv remote etc
    * better brand recognition than blackberry
    * lot of apps
    * google support : youtube, gmail, google maps
    * lot of accesories
    * the UI easier for first time user

besides BB10 running android apps, so i think at least Blackberry have to match android specs to make the experience same thing, if they dont want the BB10 user feels ported android apps feels clunky , lags etc . please correct me if i'm wrong
    The only reasons why I chose Samsung Galaxy4 is because I don't like the IPhone phones (already tried Iphone5 didn't have what I needed to get things done) and windows well they don't have some features that I use. BUT main thing is THIS phone works and doesn't give me blue screen of death or reboots every couple of days like BB did.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-20-13 02:01 PM
    I don't want to open a can of worms by asking this, but I'm just curious:
    Could Playbook's hardware handle a version of BBM?
    The PlayBook has decent hardware. Its internals are basically identical to a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus has no problems running the latest version of Android (4.3 Jelly Bean) and will have zero problems running BBM.

There is no doubt in my mind that the PlayBook's hardware is more than capable to run BBM, the only problem is it will depend on BlackBerry spending time and resources bring the app to the tablet that they seem to hate.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    09-20-13 02:13 PM
    When BlackBerry is touting the Z30 as their flagship device, they should expect it to be compared with other high end, high spec devices. For years, BlackBerry has failed to keep up in the specs race & they fell way behind. They shouldn't want to repeat that mistake. Make the flagship phone w/specs comparable to other high end devices to stand half a chance. It's not like they're Apple.

NO FLAMING

Posted via that z10!
    wtrmlnjuc likes this.
    09-20-13 06:16 PM
    When BlackBerry is touting the Z30 as their flagship device, they should expect it to be compared with other high end, high spec devices. For years, BlackBerry has failed to keep up in the specs race & they fell way behind. They shouldn't want to repeat that mistake. Make the flagship phone w/specs comparable to other high end devices to stand half a chance. It's not like they're Apple.

Just what specs are you talking about that matter more???!! THE CAMERA lol Who cares? 8mp is way more than most need in a phone camera. We dont need huge picture files sending to people either increasing the network traffic , wait times. Anyones phone is not a computer or a great camera. Its still a smartphone and thats all. Blackberry is the only company living in the grown up world.
    09-20-13 06:48 PM
    The real problem here is that BlackBerry's push back into the consumer market can only be seen as mediocre. Sure, they have some solid software and some solid hardware, but none of these are actually providing a "wow" factor. Apple's "wow" is their giant catalogue of apps, award winning hardware design, and a highly established music store as well. Android's "wow" factor is that they have tons and tons of hardware choices, a huge (but slightly risky) catalogue of apps, they're always on the cutting edge of mobile tech, endless customization, and of course, Google's services. Microsoft's "wow" factor is in software design (Windows Phone is award winning ... Windows 8... not so much), a smaller -- but still solid -- selection of hardware vendors, Microsoft services, a quickly growing app store, consistency, and Nokia services.

BlackBerry at the moment does not have any real enticing factor right now. The Q10 seemed like a good attempt at what is now a niche market, the Z10 is a fat, flat monotonous slab in a sea of sharp, interesting devices, and the Z30 seems to be merely a slightly upgraded Z10 - its specs are of that of a mid-range device. It doesn't have a superior camera, it doesn't have a large app catalogue, the design of BB10 isn't nearly as refined/polished/as good as it can be, the Z30 also isn't as good as it can be, etc.

What I'm saying is, the Z30 can't sell itself on being a jack of all trades when all the other mobile OSes can do pretty much everything BB10 already can. They need to really give it their best shot, and aim at refining something to its utmost excellence, unlike the only-okay but solid all around efforts by BB. I' say BB should've focused on producing amazing hardware, software isn't as big of an issue; it'd make people go from saying "That's a BlackBerry? Oh." to "That's a BlackBerry?! Woah, maybe I should try it out."
    09-20-13 08:13 PM
    Just what specs are you talking about that matter more???!! THE CAMERA lol Who cares? 8mp is way more than most need in a phone camera. We dont need huge picture files sending to people either increasing the network traffic , wait times. Anyones phone is not a computer or a great camera. Its still a smartphone and thats all. Blackberry is the only company living in the grown up world.
    Quit deluding yourself. The Z30, BlackBerry's flagship, is going to be compared to all the other flagship devices whether you like it or not. The S4, One, G2, Z1, iPhone 5S, etc. all seem like the better choice. The Android devices all beat the BlackBerry in apps, camera, and hardware. The iPhone 5S trumps everything in speed, most things in design, trumps most of all the other devices in the camera as well, and it also has a flashy new look to its OS. Another thing is, these other manufacturers have a large installed base.

MP is not the only deciding factor in a camera. BB's camera is 8MP, but the One's 4MP large-pixel sensor easily beats out the Z10 in most shots. The One X, S3, iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia line, etc. easily beat the BB's mediocre camera. The new generation is even better. Not to mention that "adjusting for the perfect shot" is not a BB exclusive feature.
    09-20-13 08:18 PM
    Not everyone. As for the Z30, I'm very excited that BlackBerry(with all that is happening behind the scenes) will still be able to get the "Big Z" launched. Although, I'm not going to get it, I'm still concerned that the U.S. will have to wait(....to infinity- and beyond) to get one sometime (next year?). I have a tendency to disregard a lot of what is "perceived" as negativity on here. The comments only matter when sales are not as good as expected and some members feel obligated to defend BlackBerry. Ok. But, it's not the Gospel according to BillyBob or Professor Glump. Just another members' opinion.
    Given the latest news, do you expect the Z30 to be released in the US? If they are getting out of the consumer market, that's pretty much 99.9% of the US.
    09-20-13 10:33 PM
223 ... 23456 ...