I'm currently using an iPhone 5 with iOs 7.
    Main reason for looking into getting a Z30 replacing my iphone 5 is that I need bigger characters- bigger screen: as I get older it seems my eyes find iphone typing and reading characters pretty small.

Main apps I use on iPhone 5 (except tons of email and on the go browsing):
    dropbox
    groundwire (voip app)
    gmail app
    apple notes, reminders, calendar
    DocstoGo
    iAwritter
    Bubo Bubo (security cameras app)
    navigation
    ebay (ebay shop there)
    QR reader
    facebook pages

I find reviewers pretty unobjective and their reviews lacking professional approach, so I would appreciate any switchers, and as independent as possible, insight focusing on the apps that I'm using most.

note 1: I also use imessages a lot but I understand that I have to make concessions when switching.
    note 2: EXTREMELY important: I need the Z30 to sync as "smoothly" as possible with my imac and OS- have no intention whatsoever in switching to windows. Also- I hate android- please do not propose any android platform phones.
    Atmarix likes this.
    11-10-13 08:29 AM
    Dropbox, DocstoGo, and Facebook are apps that I know work every well on BB10. I can't really address some of the others. There are navagation, eBay, QR reader apps available. You can take a look at some of the sideloaded apps to see what is available there and how well they work.

One thing I would suggest before you switch is to go to the store and take the Z30 for a test drive. This is the best way to see if you will like the OS and phone.
    11-10-13 08:42 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!!

If I were you I'd make the switch. But then again, many people will tell you the same thing because this is a bb forums.

But most of those apps you can get on your z30. If not, then you can sideload (many simple guides) or use alternatives (like viber for voip).

The Z30 is very smooth, and is much better than all bb10 devices. It does not have a removable battery like the iphones. It's screen is bigger though so that's a big difference.\

Good luck and ask more questions if you have any.
    Atmarix likes this.
    11-10-13 08:43 AM
    Main reason for looking into getting a Z30 replacing my iphone 5 is that I need bigger characters- bigger screen: as I get older it seems my eyes find iphone typing and reading characters pretty small.

dropbox
    groundwire (voip app)
    gmail app
    DocstoGo
    iAwritter
    navigation
    ebay (ebay shop there)
    QR reader
    facebook pages

I find reviewers pretty unobjective and their reviews lacking professional approach, so I would appreciate any switchers, and as independent as possible, insight focusing on the apps that I'm using most.

note 1: I also use imessages a lot but I understand that I have to make concessions when switching.
    note 2: EXTREMELY important: I need the Z30 to sync as "smoothly" as possible with my imac and OS- have no intention whatsoever in switching to windows. Also- I hate android- please do not propose any android platform phones.
    Well, since you stated that android and Windows are not an option for you then the z30 is definitely the way to go for you, though there are some apps that you listed that I'm not aware of what they are. You would have to look for alternatives, and I'm sure there are

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:55 AM
    If not, then you can sideload (many simple guides) or use alternatives (like viber for voip).

It does not have a removable battery like the iphones.
    I don't want viber or whatsapp or any other app that would force share my contact list with them. BUT I most certainly will need a VOIP app that runs as efficiently and as smoothly as possible!

Iphone does NOT have a removable battery either.

I'm not familiar with "sideloading"
    11-10-13 08:58 AM
    Just made the switch yesterday myself.

Big gorgeous screen
    Great battery (yes I can already tell)
    Typing is a dream
    Oh the sound...wow the sound
    Your app requirements shouldn't be a problem
    Heavy but feels good in hand

Seems to be a few Voip apps although I have not used any

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 219103
    11-10-13 09:00 AM
    Or just wait a year and look at the new 5.5" curved iPhone

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/10/app...-curved-glass/

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:30 PM
    Same dilemma here. Currently have iphone 5 last BB was curve 8330. Wondering if Z30 is worth upgrading too?
    11-10-13 09:24 PM
    I recently. Bought a Z30 as an upgrade from my 9860and have been very happy with the move.

Enable forums
    11-10-13 10:21 PM
    Counterpath Bria is an excellent VOIP app. Available on my Z10 and will be on Z30 shortly.
    Taki and Kuzaranda and others are great too.
    Last edited by canuckvoip; 11-10-13 at 11:48 PM. Reason: missed
    pomolo likes this.
    11-10-13 11:47 PM

dropbox
    groundwire (voip app)
    gmail app
    DocstoGo
    iAwritter
    navigation
    ebay (ebay shop there)
    QR reader
    facebook pages

Ok so my two cents after using three generations of iphones.
    Email, battery, screen and keyboard on z30 are a lot better for me. Heavy user and communicator, I'm far more efficient with this device.

Camera not as good but my SLR is for the important snaps.
    Apps not as good however important ones covered, alternatives available or side load them (example snap chat works great on my z30).

Your apps

dropbox - baked into BlackBerry OS works great
    groundwire (voip app) unsure here
    skype - works great on z30
    1password - blackberry password keeper is the original app that dominated saving passwords. I like it more than 1password.
    gmail app - Gmail within email app is great
    apple notes, reminders, calendar - all exist and sync well on z30. Reminders is baked into evernote on z30
    DocstoGo - comes with OS
    iAwritter - unsure
    Bubo Bubo (security cameras app) tiny cam pro is a great app
    navigation - Google maps side loaded fine.
    ebay (ebay shop there) eBay on app store
    QR reader - again on app store
    facebook pages - not in app store but pages works in Facebook app well.

Any other questions? That's about all I can think of.

Posted via CB10
    pomolo likes this.
    11-11-13 06:27 AM
    Oh and use BBM instead of imessage, it's better and won't get confused with someone else's iTunes account. All your iphone friends can still get a hold of you through it

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 06:31 AM
    I think I need to add some more info:
    iAwriter is a markdown writer/ text editor.

groundwire is a voip app (like bria and taki I suppose)

1password is a password info keeper that syncs automatically using dropbox (imac-iphone-ipad). I would really appreciate having a similar app on bberry, or if the BB password keeper can retrieve passwords from safari or icloud.

gmail: I think I would like to have a different email app to use instead of the native FOR SOME of my accounts.

apple Notes and apple Reminders apps are essential to sync between BB and my imac: I hope someone can confim

needless to say that apple Contacts and all their fields have to sync in a perfect manner w/ my imac as well.

Does it matter that my Contacts - Calendars - Notes - Reminders sync via/ use my icloud account?

How do you edit documents in different formats in BB? (doc, xls, pdf, pages, numbers, rtf, openoffice docs, ppt, etc)
    11-11-13 08:26 AM
    Did the change and I'm really happy with my new Z30! I'll post the apps that I use now in replacement of the ones on iPhone, just in case someone else is looking for the equivalents, as soon as I get a free moment.

Posted via CB10
    TrueKulcha and sharma6 like this.
    12-10-13 06:54 AM
    Hi: I am presently have a BB Torch 9810 with Virgin, and I'm also trying to decide what devide to upgrade to. I love the Torch 9810 as it was the perfect combination of keyboard and vibrant touchscreen. I now wish to upgrade to a device with a good big screen (5'') since I find I am using my phone increasingly to access the Web, to read news (while commuting), and generally managing my on-line presence. I had hoped to stay with BB since I love the way BB handles messaging, the security, the quality of their devices, and their legendary keyboards to help me type in both English and French. I now find I have a few choices. I have visited stores and kiosks and find that I am focused on a few choices - these are just my own observations:

1) BBZ30: Big 5'' screen, handles messaging well (via hub), multi-tasks, solid construction, new Paratek anntenna, great long battery life, + BB security. It takes a while to get used to the new gestures required to access the different screens, but it is pretty cool the way you can ''peek'' at different screens without having to switch back and forth. Great calendar feature. The virtual keyboard has good-sized keys, and the way it suggests words that you ''flick'' into the message is cool too. I would have to get used to non-physical keyboard which is not for everyone. Also, screen may not be as bright as some competitors' phones. BB does not have as many apps as competitors, but that is less important for me since I'm more concerned about professional usage, reading, and messaging, and not so much gaming.

2) Samsung Galaxy S4: Very vibrant 5'' screen, beautiful graphics, but cheaper construction than BB. Many more apps are available than with BB. Virtual keyboard OK but not as good as any BlackBerry model, including Z30. Unsure of antenna's reception and battery life, but reports are that they're not as good as BB or other newer phones. Doesn't have typical BB ''push'' technology for messages, nor does it have a ''Hub,'' but of course you can still access your email via individual apps and bookmarks. Consumer Reports rates the S4 highly (#1) for overall quality as well as for reasonable price. Very pretty ''toy.''

3) Google Nexus 5 (made by LG): New competitor: Great lower-priced super-phone ($400) with 4.95'' vibrant screen. Faster chip than BB (quad-core). Phone is comfortable in the hand and lighter than BBZ30, and has possibility of tons of apps. Feels less solid than BB products. Virtual keyboard only average like many all-screen phones. Good long-life battery acccording to specs. This phone will appeal to many different kinds of users.

4) Apple iPhone 5: Have only briefly looked at Apple phones. Of course they have legendary quality and connect to iTunes, etc., but I am not interesting in their phones nor their OS for now. Would really prefer a phone with good 5'' screen and good keyboard as well as messaging centre. This is just my preference; some people insist on having an Apple product for everything, which is OK for some.

These are only my basic observations: I only checked out these phones in-store. I have not really had a chance to compare other features like the cameras on each.

Since I already have a BB Torch2, I am partial to BB, and hope to get a BBZ30, but right now my carrier Virgin does not offer it. So I am on the fence right now trying to decide what to do.

-Tony in Montreal
    12-10-13 07:33 AM
    Find someone with a Z30 to play around with. We here at Crackberry as fair as we try will still be biased towards BlackBerry, no way around it. I think you would be extremely pleased with a Z30 but never make a large decision in solely the advice of others. Maybe even find a Crackberry member in your city that has a Z30 to try, or a retailer. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 07:51 AM
    I upgraded to my Z30 from an iPhone 5 nearly 2 weeks ago, and I have been able to find alternatives for nearly everything that was important to me.

Skype works well as a replacement for FaceTime. And now that BBM is cross-platform, it's a great alternative to iMessage.

For me, the BB10 Hub (unified inbox on steroids) has been a breath of fresh air. I've never found it easier to manage all my communications on a mobile device.

If you're in the U.S. go to a Verizon store and ask to see a Z30 display model if they don't already have one out. I did so and after tinkering with it for about 30 seconds I was sold.

Good luck, and welcome to CrackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:03 AM
    These people seem to love the Z30. BlackBerry Z30 User Reviews - Smartphones - CNET Reviews
    I have one. I love it! Z30 also comes with built in DLNA so it will communicate with pretty much ALL new electronic entertainment devices.
    I posted this in another thread:
    Check this out. Got an Oppo 105 blueray player with DLNA. Installed their Android Remote Control App on my Z30.
    Sooo.... the DLNA from the Z30 links like butter to the Oppo wirelessly and I use the Remote Control App on the Blackberry to play music from the Blackberry through the Oppo/Home Stereo system. How cool is that...caus the music files are using the killer DAC in the Oppo..sounds frickn' awesome.
    Note there is NO Airplay on the Oppo 105
    12-10-13 08:40 AM