12-20-13 08:43 AM
39 12
tools
    The charging circuit in the phone should be designed to protect your hardware from attempting to overcharge the battery. Using the playbook charger just increases the current supplied to your device, so it charges faster. In the short run it will generate slightly more heat with 0 effect, and in the long run you will reduce the overall number of charging cycles before the battery begins to deteriorate and not hold charge.

As people have mentioned a new battery is pretty cheap and the amount of times you will have to charge it before it starts degrading will be a LOT, so its absolutely nothing to be worried about.
    Need to think of the environmental impact of battery though. Sorry I digress.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 04:57 AM
    BlackBerry Premium Charger - ShopBlackBerry.com

They are selling it for phones
    freddysrevng3 likes this.
    12-15-13 04:35 PM
    The PB charger damages nothing. USB voltage is regulated at 5 volts from the charger. USB amperage is regulated by the phone. The charger can only give a maximum of 1800 mili amps

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 05:10 PM
    A few months after using my pb charger for my z10 it died and I had to get it replaced. I'm not entirely sure if it was the charger or not but I'm not talking another chance.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 05:15 PM
    I own several ad use this chargers for everything. The premium charger is the best ever!
    I agree and I have had no problems either.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 07:45 AM
    A few months after using my pb charger for my z10 it died and I had to get it replaced. I'm not entirely sure if it was the charger or not but I'm not talking another chance.

Posted via CB10
    It was the phone or the battery NOT the charger.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 10:10 PM
    Ah, but if they had only standardized on the magnetic charging connection on my PB...
    Yes! Love this feature. It would be awesome to use the same dock I have for my PB to charge my Z10.
    12-16-13 10:30 PM
    I forgot to mention the fact that my PlayBook died the same way around the same time, and the only thing that the two shared was the charger. My PlayBook always acted up when it was connected to that charger...

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 02:27 PM
    The battery will wear out over time, that is a given. Considering a replacement battery can be had for $20-30 online...I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's not like we have an Apple product with a sealed back.
    Ah yes...but not Z30 owners! can the Z30 be replaced by sending it in for repair? This is the only drawback I can see with the Z30..not sure why they couldn't make the battery removable.

Hopefully the next Gen Z will have this feature.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 02:35 PM
    If you look with the cover off there are a number of screws holding the battery in place. I haven't taken it off but I'm pretty sure it's removable once these are removed and the battery is quite easily replaceable. Otherwise how would BlackBerry themselves do warranty work on the phone?

They would want to make it fairly straightforward as well to keep the repair costs to the cost of the battery

Just conjecture on my part if any techs or BlackBerry people can confirm would be appreciated

Thanks

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1055 thank you very much!!
    12-19-13 02:47 PM
    I've been charging my 9930 with my PlayBook charger for well over a year with no issues. The PlayBook charger is the same charger BB sells as the 9930 rapid charger.
    12-20-13 12:33 AM
    For USB chargers, well excluding Apple, a resistor is put across the data lines. The value of the resistor is sensed by the phone, and it adjusts the charging current based on what the charger had available and what the phone thinks is appropriate.

That said, if you use a low power charger, the battery charging will be a bit cooler than if you use a high power charger, assuming the phone is asking for more current from the high power charger. This was easily seen on the old BlackBerry Bold engineering screen. The bb10 charging screen is a bit cryptic in terms of current drawn.

Lithium Ion batteries are a lot like lead acid. You give them a voltage and they draw the current they want. But that voltage needs to be precise, and it has a bit of temperature sensitivity. So the phones measure the battery temperature and tweak the charging voltage accordingly.

I use the PlayBook charger all the time in my z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 12:58 AM
    2 z10's and PTL bt earpiece burned out due to the PB charger. My Torch has never had a problem with the PB charger.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 06:53 AM
    I'm own several playbooks, a Z30, a z10 and my kids have playbooks and Z10s as well. No problems using the PlayBook charger at all. My daughter did break the USB port on her PlayBook and it no longer charges via that port, I just bought her a rapid charger that uses the dedicated power port and it still works great. My devices all work well with the charger.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:43 AM
39 12