CONS

Camera is mediocre for a flagship
    Low BlackBerry World app count

PhoneArena rating: 7.5

BlackBerry Z30 Review
    10-10-13 11:48 AM
    going to go read now! thanks!

Edit
    Looks like he mispoke about the app count (70k) but otherwise its kind of a "meh" review. He isnt gushing about it but yet he really didnt say anything horrible either
    10-10-13 11:49 AM
    Wow makes me want it even more!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk now Free
    10-10-13 11:49 AM

Edit
    Looks like he mispoke about the app count (70k) but otherwise its kind of a "meh" review. He isnt gushing about it but yet he really didnt say anything horrible either
    Yeah, it also read like the reviewer had little experience with BB10 but then again it was "nice" to be told from a fresh set of eyes it seems. To think there would have been an editor to proof read the facts on this but all good.
    10-10-13 12:21 PM
    PROS

Premium build quality
    Good battery life
    Ergonomic on-screen BlackBerry keyboard

CONS

Camera is mediocre for a flagship
    Low BlackBerry World app count

PhoneArena rating: 7.5

BlackBerry Z30 Review
    That's fair

Posted via Harry
    nuff_said likes this.
    10-10-13 12:30 PM

Edit
    Maybe they already removed all the S4BB apps in their numbers.
    10-10-13 12:46 PM
    He got some facts wrong, like the processor is not 1.5 its 1.7, the app count is more then 70.000, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just deducted all the S4BB apps lol.

I would of liked to have seen more talk about the stereo sound quality, because the user reviews I have read rave about it.
    All in all fair enough but an 8.5 is more realistic.
    hf199 likes this.
    10-10-13 12:47 PM
    Maybe they already removed all the S4BB apps in their numbers.
    LOL you beat me to that.
    10-10-13 12:48 PM
    At least an 8

Posted via Harry
    10-10-13 01:25 PM
    "Well, that leads us to the hardest gesture to master – the one that gets you into the BlackBerry Hub, which aggregates all notifications, emails, text messages, and missed calls. Essentially, it’s a swipe up from the bottom bezel, then while your finger is still touching the screen, you swipe right to uncover the BlackBerry Hub. As we’ve mentioned already, it seems like a lot of work is involved in just getting access to those notifications, but hey, that’s the way they decided to go. "

I found the above comment funny with regards to HUB gesture which has become second nature to many BB10 users. I guess the extra app icons like the one for Text make sense now. Not all users are made the same.
    10-10-13 02:52 PM
    Sounds fair. The app ecosystem is part of the total package. BBWorld is not robust like the others so a 7.5 seems like a perfect score. If it had a higher resolution screen and a better app selection I am sure it would be receiving an 8+.
    10-10-13 04:08 PM
    I found the above comment funny with regards to HUB gesture which has become second nature to many BB10 users. I guess the extra app icons like the one for Text make sense now. Not all users are made the same.
    In his defense, I will say that the gesture doesn't work all the time for me (on my Z10). Sometimes I swipe up, it goes to peek, but when I swipe right after that nothing happens. I have mastered the gesture, I catch myself trying it on my 5S.

It takes time to get use to and it really ins't faster than pulling down your notification bar and click the message. 2 steps (swipe down, click) instead of 3 (swipe up, right, click).
    10-10-13 04:11 PM
    Sounds fair. The app ecosystem is part of the total package. BBWorld is not robust like the others so a 7.5 seems like a perfect score. If it had a higher resolution screen and a better app selection I am sure it would be receiving an 8+.
    Rubbish. Based on what he wrote it sounds like a solid 8 - not that I agree with that but the app shortage is way overblown when you consider its built-in Android 4.2.2 support; as a matter of fact if I were BB's PR unit I'd distribute free phones with the requirement of including Android sideloading tests in the review in return.
    10-10-13 04:16 PM
    Rubbish. Based on what he wrote it sounds like a solid 8 - not that I agree with that but the app shortage is way overblown when you consider its built-in Android 4.2.2 support; as a matter of fact if I were BB's PR unit I'd distribute free phones with the requirement of including Android sideloading tests in the review in return.
    Android 4.2.2 runtime means diddly to 90% of the general consumer population. People open BB World, see what they can get and move on. They don't open Google Play to load apps on their Berry because most consumers will just buy an Android device at that point.

Last I checked side loaded apps are in a sandbox and don't offer full device integration like they would on a real Android device. So, you are offering a half assed solution with half assed results.

Average Joe and Jane want nothing to do with this process. They want apps built for their device, in the appstore that came on their device, or they will go somewhere else

Sideloading is nonexistent to everyone besides the diehards on this forum. I know 3 other people with the Z10. None of them have attempted to sideload. I told them about that and they said "I shouldn't have to do that". I agree.

BB PR- "Can't find the app you need in BBWorld? That's OK! Load up Google Play and download the apps you want (without the devs permission) and install it on our device. You will need to learn how to do this process somewhere on the internet. We are sorry our app store doesn't have what you are looking for and that you need to go through hoops to get what you want!"

Only Bill Mays can sell you that line. R.I.P.

Last edited by avt123; 10-10-13 at 04:34 PM.
    Unbiased Tech and h20work like this.
    10-10-13 04:22 PM
    Android 4.2.2 runtime means diddly to 90% of the general consumer population. People open BB World, see what they can get and move on. They don't open Google Play to load apps on their Berry because most consumers will just buy an Android device at that point.

Last I checked side loaded apps are in a sandbox and don't offer full device integration like they would on a real Android device. So, you are offering a half assed solution with half assed results.

Average Joe and Jane want nothing to do with this process. They want apps built for their device, in the appstore that came on their device, or they will go somewhere else

Sideloading is nonexistent to everyone besides the diehards on this forum. I know 3 other people with the Z10. None of them have attempted to sideload. I told them about that and they said "I shouldn't have to do that". I agree.
    That's my point: it's never been popularized the way it should've been, not to mention simplifying the process - something like the community-sourced tinyhack's BarInstall, which should've been backed by BB, at least.
    10-10-13 04:33 PM
    That's my point: it's never been popularized the way it should've been, not to mention simplifying the process - something like the community-sourced tinyhack's BarInstall, which should've been backed by BB, at least.
    The process was designed for DEVELOPER USE to test apps.

Hasn't this been discussed before. When you take someones apps from the Play Store, you are taking their works and putting it somewhere they did not intend it to be. They designed the apps to run on Android devices. Android devices have the Google Play store. BB10 devices do not. You have to CONVERT an Android app to be able to run on the Android runtime.

I know the process is not hard, but people do not want to have to go the extra mile when other platforms have it at arms reach.
    h20work likes this.
    10-10-13 04:39 PM
    "Well, that leads us to the hardest gesture to master � the one that gets you into the BlackBerry Hub, which aggregates all notifications, emails, text messages, and missed calls. Essentially, it�s a swipe up from the bottom bezel, then while your finger is still touching the screen, you swipe right to uncover the BlackBerry Hub. As we�ve mentioned already, it seems like a lot of work is involved in just getting access to those notifications, but hey, that�s the way they decided to go. "

Or he is yet another reviewer acting like a fool. Its ridiculously simply but he chose to word it too make it sound more difficult.
    It's the most simple and logical.......you want to exit an app you swipe from the bottom up, if you want to get to the HUB you swipe left to right, so with the application of very simple logic, if you are in an app and want to the HUB it's bottom up and right, some people might even call it an upside L shape. Gasp!!! Oh the horrors. Someone should tell the reviewer to stop being so dramatic.
    If he can type on a keyboard then he is co-ordinated enough to perform a simple gesture

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    10-10-13 04:51 PM
    He got some facts wrong, like the processor is not 1.5 its 1.7, the app count is more then 70.000, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just deducted all the S4BB apps lol.

I would of liked to have seen more talk about the stereo sound quality, because the user reviews I have read rave about it.
    All in all fair enough but an 8.5 is more realistic.
    Someone should leave the correction in the comment section.

Post via CB Z10
    10-10-13 04:58 PM
    Yeah there are a few errors with this review

Posted from my Z10
    10-10-13 06:02 PM
    So the gestures are hard to learn but the browser should have more gestures and not a button??

I skimmed the article, did they mention mirror cast, or USB on the fly?
    10-10-13 07:36 PM