Regarding the topic: I would still vote for leading edge battery life. Thats a selling point every user understands, and particulary business users would value it. In fact this could be a real driver for many companies to upgrade to OS10, I am sure.
    But it seems to me that either RIM still has not recognized the importance of this item, or, more worse, they have simply not the engineering capacity to MAKE better battery life, and Apple and Samsung can do better....
    07-16-13 11:48 AM
    Moved to A10 section
    07-16-13 11:50 AM
    Agree with OP. Horrible specs, horrible design. When the phone is released everyone will have a field day with the BlackBerry bashing. I can just see the headlines now, "BlackBerry, Keep Moving, BACKWARDS..." Lol just another nail in the coffin for all of us loyal BlackBerry users. And for all of you guys sticking up for this ridiculous decision making please stop drinking the Kool Aid in the end the company needs to SELL PHONES!!!!!!!!!!! This will not do it. Not even close...
    07-16-13 12:04 PM
    Agree with OP. Horrible specs, horrible design. When the phone is released everyone will have a field day with the BlackBerry bashing. I can just see the headlines now, "BlackBerry, Keep Moving, BACKWARDS..." Lol just another nail in the coffin for all of us loyal BlackBerry users. And for all of you guys sticking up for this ridiculous decision making please stop drinking the Kool Aid in the end the company needs to SELL PHONES!!!!!!!!!!! This will not do it. Not even close...
    It's neither a "horrible spec" OR a "horrible design". It's an underwhelming spec, sure, but with the Adreno 320 graphics it's still a step up from the Z10. Battery is huge, and while the screen isn't the absolute top-spec, it's not horrible.

We wanted better, sure, but this is what we're getting. It is what it is.
    07-16-13 12:39 PM
    It is what it is.

I just hope they price it for what it is.

Otherwise, it will be slaughtered in the sales, just like the other hand sets are!

Honestly, yes, the specs are not what a "flagship" device would be expected to have - there isn't any specific usp that stands out - but it's not bad for a mid tier device, equivalent to the Moto X, perhaps.

BlackBerry can't expect to charge top whack and expect it to shift. It just isn't going to be a viable or attractive proposition - just like the Z or Q are not shifting.

And, for the record, the Q simply ROCKS!

It's a shame it isn't doing well, it deserves to be noticed; it just has to stand out against some serious heavy hitters bringing their A game.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    07-16-13 02:27 PM
    I agree it has merit, but when bb doesn't have money to waste on unneeded hardware I find it pointless, that's money that can to toward apps, etc. Blackberry would be stupid to be the only os/hardware manufacturer to join the android oem spec race when that's a race you can't win. Samsung is a components manufacture 80% of the hardware they put in there phone is from them, and that spreads across android oems, that's a never ending race.
    So, since BlackBerry is going to save all of this money by using really old hardware in the A10, are they going to pass any of those savings onto the consumer? Of course not. They will price the A10 like it is a Optimus G2. Even though the G2 will have the latest hardware specs and the A10 will barely match Android phones from the later part of 2011.

People that defend the A10's specs must just like the idea of overpaying for old technology. Maybe they just think of it as a charitable donation.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    07-16-13 02:56 PM
    I think that they will lose a lot of customers with this poor specs really sad see BlackBerry with limited old hardware like apple the difference is that apple can do that cause already have solid market,store millions of apps out there great ecosystem, blackberry is starting now need do something great to impress and get attention for new costumers any high end android or apple user will switch their phones for old and outdated hardware cmon guys all of us knows that specs matters at all everybody likes to flaunt in have the last top hardware in hands, no more.

Posted via CB10
    mnc76 likes this.
    07-16-13 03:07 PM
    It's neither a "horrible spec" OR a "horrible design". It's an underwhelming spec, sure, but with the Adreno 320 graphics it's still a step up from the Z10. Battery is huge, and while the screen isn't the absolute top-spec, it's not horrible.

We wanted better, sure, but this is what we're getting. It is what it is.
    How is not a horrible design or specs for that matter? Have u been reading what people are posting about this phone? DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!!! and these are BlackBerry fans writing this. Wait till iphone users or S4 users have something to say. I'll say it again "BlackBerry needs to sell phones or there will be no more blackberry." So the fact that ur happy with the phone no one really cares. Because if BlackBerry just needed to sell to a few people to stay profitable or in business then I'd understand but we are talking about a failing company who needs to help themselves...it does not take a genius to figure this stuff out. And I'm sure all the business people and company executives are really going to care about the gaming on this device. Lol that is who BlackBerry appeals to right? Where was I when BlackBerry became a gaming device?
    agp101 likes this.
    07-16-13 03:38 PM
    And as far as design goes someone correct me if I'm wrong, top half of the phone is a Samsung galaxy and the bottom half is an HTC One, GENIUS!" lol Horrible in "MY" opinion. Should have chosen one or the other. For me the top half looks nicer...
    07-16-13 03:44 PM
    Horrible specs? I admit, I really do want the Snapdragon 800 processor in the A10. To clarify, this isn't to "keep up" with Android. It's because I know that on a level playing field, the A10 would utterly demolish any Android competition at the moment and in the distant future. Add 3 GB of RAM to that and you've got yourself some solid gloating material in your pocket.

Do I think it's necessary? No. Here's why

1. How does the speed of the Z10 hold up to the iPhone 5S, the S4, and the HTC One? Not too shabby right? In some cases, you'll even find it faster. The hardware in the Z10 more closely resembles the S3 more than anything. I think that's quite impressive. If you go to some of the review sites, you'll see that the reviewers are generally really impressed with its snappiness.

2. The A10 has improved hardware over the Z10, It's going to perform better than what any of us are used to on BB10.

3. Here's the most important point and the one that's most forgotten. A software update has stronger potential yields than a hardware update does.

With all of this being said, The A10 camera is fine at 8MP as long as it's better than the camera in the Z10

To all of you who are disappointed, you have a right to be. I only ask this. Take a minute to really consider the points that I've just addressed. You'll see that it's not as bad as it seems
    Last edited by LWKING; 07-16-13 at 05:24 PM.
    07-16-13 04:02 PM
    It's not running a clunky version of android. It's running bb10. Why would I want to pay for hardware that my phone won't even need?
    You're thinking about it the wrong way.

With the A10, you're STILL paying for the hardware you don't need except now BBRY has jipped you out of the top notch hardware and replaced it with an inferior product in hopes that you won't notice the difference. That's how the typical non-BBRY supporting consumer sees it.

I don't think that BBRY should refrain from launching the A10, though. They just need to price the A10 correctly. That means it should be $300 to $450. Since they're not giving us the best hardware, they shouldn't expect to be able to charge us the best price. The A10 can still be a very successful handset if priced correctly.
    07-16-13 04:28 PM
    Horrible specs? I admit, I really do want the Snapdragon 800 processor in the A10. To clarify, this isn't to "keep up" with Android. It's because I know that on a level playing field, the A10 would utterly demolish any Android competition at the moment and in the distant future. Add 3 GB of RAM to that and you've got yourself some solid gloating material in your pocket.

Do I think it's necessary? No. Here's why

1. How does the speed of the Z10 hold up to the iPhone 5S, the S4, and the HTC One? Not too shabby right? In some cases, you'll even find it faster. The hardware in the Z10 more closely resembles the S3 more than anything. I think that's quite impressive. If you go to some of the review sites, you'll see that the reviewers are generally really impressed with its snappiness.

2. The A10 has improved hardware over the Z10, It's going to perform better than what any of us are used to on BB10.

3. Here's the most important point and the one that's most forgotten. A software update has stronger potential yields than a hardware update does.

With all of this being said, The A10 camera is fine at 8MP as long as it's better than the camera in the Z10

To all of you who are disappointed, you have a right to be. I only ask this. Take a minute to really consider the points that I've just addressed. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems
    If you were the CEO of a company is that what you would tell your shareholders? "Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, or it is what it is." Lmao this is funny. You guys are just trying to convince yourselves. The future for BlackBerry is grim based on what I see. I'm sorry but this company is failing and needs to not listen to people who think their products are competitive and will sell, you know why, because they aren't selling and for a reason. You wait to see what happens when this phone is released then talk to me see how it will under sell and what all the phone critics will say. Then u can try to convince them all how awesome it is...
    07-16-13 04:32 PM
    Will you guys please get real... By the time someone comes out with the "best phone", then someone will have a "better phone" within no time. If you want the A10 to wait until it is the best phone, it will never get released.
    I so disagree with this comment that I can barely put it into words.

By the way, no offence to you Bluenoser! I just strongly disagree.
    Last edited by mnc76; 07-16-13 at 04:54 PM.
    07-16-13 04:35 PM
    I could not agree with the OP's post more. How BB could let the A10 "flagship" come out with these specs is just impossible to fathom.

They need to take a hit on margins and get a top tier phone out there that will garner some much needed buzz!

Their shareholders won't like it at first, but they they wiill like it a lot less if their less-than-mid-tier A10 doesn't sell. BB needs to be taking a gamble now!!! They can't play conservative anymore!

It doesn't matter what the phone "needs" to run fast, it matters what consumers WANT, and consumers want and expect a quad core CPU and > 8 megapixel camera.

Look at the Lumia 1020 with its 41 megapixel camera that's got the whole techsphere buzzing. Does it NEED a 41 megapixel camera?? Of course not!
    07-16-13 04:42 PM
    If you were the CEO of a company is that what you would tell your shareholders? "Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, or it is what it is."
    This. So what if a quad core A10 could slaughter all the competition? As it is, all we get are claims that BB10 doesn't need as high specs as Android while getting the same performance. There are a lot of BBRY nonbelievers not convinced of this, though. If BB10 were really that much faster than Android, don't just say it. Prove it!! Techies would buy the superphone in droves.
    07-16-13 04:43 PM
    I think we need to understand that we're not getting a high-spec phone here. It just isn't happening.

With a much bigger battery, a lower-power display, and a further optimized OS we should see some excellent battery life and graphics performance in a bigger format that will be great for media.

Let's find what positives we can and keep moving.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    Wish I could But I got a terrible sinking feeling when I read these specs like I did on Black Friday. This is bad news no matter how you slice it. It indicates that the BB board is still completely impotent and completely out of touch with the reality of the market IMO.
    07-16-13 04:47 PM
    This. So what if a quad core A10 could slaughter all the competition? As it is, all we get are claims that BB10 doesn't need as high specs as Android while getting the same performance. There are a lot of BBRY nonbelievers not convinced of this, though. If BB10 were really that much faster than Android, don't just say it. Prove it!! Techies would buy the superphone in droves.
    I agree with this. If they release specs like this they need to demonstrate in no uncertain terms that it is faster than the competition.

But we all know they won't do this. In fact, I guarantee you that they will definitely not do this.

IMO their board has absolutely no idea whatsoever about what is going on in the market. When the A10 gets panned in the press I believe that they will GENUINELY be surprised.

Instead of having at least some ads showing how fast the A10 is on BB10 compared to the higher spec'd competition, what we're going to see are more abstract ads with flying carpets and god knows what other nonsense Boulben will pull out of his... Well, it appears I should take a break
    Last edited by mnc76; 07-16-13 at 05:01 PM.
    07-16-13 04:49 PM
    I also want to add that many mobile apps are optimized for dual core cpus... so the advantages of quad core are not as great as one might think. Quad core gpu however on the A10 will make a huge difference for media apps and gaming.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    07-16-13 04:59 PM
    I also want to add that many mobile apps are optimized for dual core cpus... so the advantages of quad core are not as great as one might think. Quad core gpu however on the A10 will make a huge difference for media apps and gaming.

I agree. Also, BB10 is a proprietary OS that can be optimized and tuned specifically for BB hardware, unlike Android which is a generic open source OS that is intended to run on any hardware.

Unfortunately, all Joe Consumer sees is

CPU: 2 < 4 (almost all Android flagships), and
    Camera: 8 < 13 (GS4) < 41 (Lumia 1020)
    07-16-13 05:06 PM

If one of the big features of BB10 is multitasking, apps don't need to take advantage of multiple cores. With 5 apps in the background, a quad-core should overall be more smooth and responsive than a dual-core.

Theoretically, anyway.
    mnc76 and agp101 like this.
    07-16-13 05:13 PM
    Why is it Apple, Microsoft, and to an extent Google(moto X/nexus) aren't in the spec war.
    • Apple: Doesn't have to be. People will buy it because its the new Apple phone. Apple isn't a struggling company trying to recover marketshare.
    • Microsoft (Nokia): The new Windows Phone 8 Lumia 1020 will have the higest ever megapixel camera in cell phone history by a factor of over 3 at a whopping 41 megapixels. That's quite a spec.
    AndreyLepher likes this.
    07-16-13 05:20 PM
    If one of the big features of BB10 is multitasking, apps don't need to take advantage of multiple cores. With 5 apps in the background, a quad-core should overall be more smooth and responsive than a dual-core.

Theoretically, anyway.
    It should but that doesn't mean the benefits out way the costs of having a quadcore.

07-16-13 05:21 PM
    If you were the CEO of a company is that what you would tell your shareholders? "Maybe it's not as bad as it seems, or it is what it is." Lmao this is funny. You guys are just trying to convince yourselves. The future for BlackBerry is grim based on what I see. I'm sorry but this company is failing and needs to not listen to people who think their products are competitive and will sell, you know why, because they aren't selling and for a reason. You wait to see what happens when this phone is released then talk to me see how it will under sell and what all the phone critics will say. Then u can try to convince them all how awesome it is...
    My post went completely went over your head didn't it?
    07-16-13 05:21 PM
    I agree. Also, BB10 is a proprietary OS that can be optimized and tuned specifically for BB hardware, unlike Android which is a generic open source OS that is intended to run on any hardware.

Unfortunately, all Joe Consumer sees is

CPU: 2 < 4 (almost all Android flagships), and
    Camera: 8 < 13 (GS4) < 41 (Lumia 1020)
    Android phones need quad cores to support the bloated OS... most inefficient mobile OS.

07-16-13 05:22 PM
    • Apple: Doesn't have to be. People will buy it because its the new Apple phone. Apple isn't a struggling company trying to recover marketshare.
    • Microsoft (Nokia): The new Windows Phone 8 Lumia 1020 will have the higest ever megapixel camera in cell phone history by a factor of over 3 at a whopping 41 megapixels. That's quite a spec.
    This is where you and everyone else is wrong. People don't buy Apple because it's Apple.
    07-16-13 05:24 PM
118 ... 2345