My situation may be a bit unique, I purchased my Z30 through a friend at Blackberry 15 months ago and was one of the lucky few to get a black screen after the update. I went through the proper channels (detail everything in an email and send it with the receipt attached to the EPP email address thinking all should be fine only to get...

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately the device listed below is outside of the one year warrantee period for the original purchase. The below links may be of some assistance.
    North America:
    http://na.blackberry.com/eng/legal/handheld_warranty.jsp"
    I get it, a warranty is a warranty, but really??? Blackberry's own update did this?

Anyway, has anyone found a reliable path for repair? I'm reading mixed stories about whether a screen replacement actually fixes this.

I'm still a Blackberry user through and through, not jumping ship so this isn't one of those annoying I quit rants.
    03-13-15 03:22 PM
    New update being pushed by BlackBerry to those of us who have BlackBerry directly unlocked phones via them and amazon. Hook up your BlackBerry to a TV with hdmi cable and go check. Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558 is now my current os as of an hour ago :-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-13-15 03:26 PM
    New update being pushed by BlackBerry to those of us who have BlackBerry directly unlocked phones via them and amazon. Hook up your BlackBerry to a TV with hdmi cable and go check. Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558 is now my current os as of an hour ago :-)

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    This update does not fix the black screen problem. I am updated and still sitting on a screen that does not work. HDMI works, screen does not.
    03-13-15 04:08 PM
    I am 4 days out of warranty with the same problem. I don't care if there is a cost on my end, I just want it fixed and my Z30 back up and running.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:13 PM
    Ouch, that's unfortunate. I'm about a month out of warranty and there was certainly no help for me.

I ended up ordering a new screen (Note there are 2 models, one for VZW and one for GSM phones) and I'm going to replace my current one to see if that will fix the problem.
    03-13-15 04:14 PM
    Don't panic. The update to fix this issue came out today. I assume that you'll need to use BlackBerry Link and plug it in to update.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:16 PM
    Dave, I heard the update doesn't fix the problem, just prevents it from happening to devices that it hasn't affect yet. Have you heard otherwise?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:30 PM
    Ouch, that's unfortunate. I'm about a month out of warranty and there was certainly no help for me.

I ended up ordering a new screen (Note there are 2 models, one for VZW and one for GSM phones) and I'm going to replace my current one to see if that will fix the problem.
    Can you post to this thread if it does?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 04:32 PM
    Can you post to this thread if it does?

Posted via CB10
    It works bud. It was confirmed over at Re: Black Screen - Page 100 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums Just need mine to arrive now and I'll be good to go!
    03-13-15 06:06 PM
    My screen JUST went black. The LED lights up, and Link recognizes the phone. It won't allow me to reload software. I don't have a windows machine to try an autoloader right now. Is replacing the screen the only way to fix this?
    03-13-15 07:04 PM
    I really can't believe their own update is ruining screens - there is no solultion to reflash the phone to get the screen running again?
    So I guess it actually damages the screen to where replacement is the only option?

I'll order a screen. This phone has been a nightmare, just last month I replaced the middleframe to regain use of my proximity and light sensors..

My wife's Z30 is running and OTA update of 10.3.1.2267 - I hope that her phone is updated before her screen goes out too. My screen went out at 20% power too.. so it wasn't like it was drained dead.
    03-13-15 07:21 PM
    I guess I'll try a screen replacement Monday, $100 in Toronto is better than fighting BlackBerry to repair out of warranty and waiting for the phone to come back for two or three weeks. Worst of all, it's my wife's phone. Ugh....

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 08:45 PM
    Glad I'm an Ambassador for Crackberry and NOT Blackberry. If they really take the position that they killed screens with a flawed OS that they released will not be fixed for out of warranty phones - very poor business practice. They should be totally ashamed of that stance.
    tw820 and Carl Estes like this.
    03-13-15 11:09 PM
    I would strongly recommend that you should try this latest OS 1767 (2558) and as stated above, I also read, this update resolves black screen issues. You should try to install thru autoloader.
    03-14-15 01:00 AM
    The screen is not physically damaged, it is a software issue, try loading the latest leaked/released OS 10.3.1.2558 and that should fix it, worst case scenario is it doesn't work and you have to, anyways, replace the screen.
    03-14-15 01:10 AM
    I'll try borrowing a windows machine to try the autoloader. But I'm pretty sure the 2267 does kill the screen. I've seen people have the screen work after installing a new one. But not seen anyone say ones been brought to life.

BlackBerry should let people send them bill for parts and at least give a nice credit on a new model. Or refund the cost of the screen.

Of course if you replace the screen it breaks the warranty. And I don't have patience to mail it in anyway. The screen is easy to replace. Not happy they broke it and made me pay for it.

This company is really going downhill at an alarming rate. I thought their BBM policies were bad. This is worse.

Using Z10 since BlackBerry broke my Z30.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-14-15 01:59 AM
    So does 10.3.1.2558 fix the dead screen problem?

Posted via CB10
    03-14-15 08:47 AM
    I guess I'll try a screen replacement Monday, $100 in Toronto is better than fighting BlackBerry to repair out of warranty and waiting for the phone to come back for two or three weeks. Worst of all, it's my wife's phone. Ugh....

Posted via CB10
    Hook up the phone to hdmi, go to settings and perform an update. Try this first before replacing your screen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    03-14-15 09:09 AM
    My Z10 just died this morning. Just got out of a chat session with Rogers. They have no clue when this issue will be resolved or how BlackBerry will handle it. It's not just my screen that's down though - the whole phone is a brick. It died while plugged in and with a full battery. The battery works fine in my backup phone. My backup phone's battery doesn't help my primary device come back to life. My computer doesn't even recognize when it's connected via USB. Not impressive.
    03-14-15 09:44 AM
    Oops sorry guys, I infected your Z30 thread with a Z10. Still learning about this issue so not sure if there's any carryover from your discussion for what I'm experiencing, but man it stinks. Good luck to all.
    filanto likes this.
    03-14-15 09:58 AM
    Hook up the phone to hdmi, go to settings and perform an update. Try this first before replacing your screen.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2558
    We've done everything we possibly can over at Re: Black Screen - Page 106 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums and the ONLY solution to the black screen issue is to replace it. You MIGHT get lucky and bring it back to life by doing some 50 force resets (vol up + vol down) with the charger plugged in, but we've only seen that happen once. Another person got theirs to come back to life if they let their batter drain, put in the sim card, and charge it 100% back up.

BlackBerry does NOT intend on fixing this, that's been made apparent in their KB article. The recent OS release was put out to PREVENT this from happening, not to fix already busted devices. If your screen is dead, it's easiest to consider that screen gone and order a new one. Replacing it is insanely easy.

Z10 guy, your problem is a completely different problem. It sounds like your phone literally died, not just your screen. Aside from taking it apart and checking connections, some electronics just don't live as long as others.
    Doggerz and saint613 like this.
    03-14-15 10:42 AM
    UPDATE!!!!

I can now verify two things.

1. This has been said many times, the update DOES NOT fix this issue.

2. I just replace the screen and it is not fixed. PLEASE do the latest software update or revert to 10.2 before you replace your screen to avoid frying another one.

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz likes this.
    03-14-15 10:55 AM
    UPDATE!!!!

2. I just replace the screen and it is not fixed. PLEASE do the latest software update or revert to 10.2 before you replace your screen to avoid frying another one.

Posted via CB10
    Holy crap - this important to know! I have a new screen on the way. Was going to attempt to revive old screen by updating OS, now at least I know even if old screen doesn't come back that it will save the new one.

03-14-15 11:00 AM
    Updated my OS via link so I'm ready for my new screen. Thanks for the tip.

03-16-15 11:44 PM
    UPDATE!!!!

Posted via CB10
    So it physically fries the screen?? Wtf

Posted via CB10
    03-17-15 12:51 AM
30 12