I'm taking a lot of pictures with my phone/s. I've had a STL100-1 then 100-2 then STA100-2 and I noticed that shots taken with Z30 are worst than ones taken with the Z10. And for the Z10, STL100-1 was surprisingly the best of them all.

And I'm not judging that based on the how the pictures looked on the phones' respective screens. Photos were compared on notebook screens and TV.

While all of them are not good in low light, but from medium light to sunlight I still see the shots taken with STL100-1 are the best so far.

Just my opinion

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-09-15 04:41 AM
    I chuckle when folks are surprised cell phone cameras are made for professional photography. You hear the same thing on android central about most android phones. If photography is that big of a deal to you then get a real camera or pay the money for the one or two phones that have the extra pixels, but I doubt they would be as great as a real camera. Phone cameras are for portraits in good lighting and scenes outdoors in good lighting which is overcast days.

Posted via CB10
    sonicpix and steakman911 like this.
    02-09-15 10:58 AM
    I'm taking a lot of pictures with my phone/s. I've had a STL100-1 then 100-2 then STA100-2 and I noticed that shots taken with Z30 are worst than ones taken with the Z10. And for the Z10, STL100-1 was surprisingly the best of them all.

And I'm not judging that based on the how the pictures looked on the phones' respective screens. Photos were compared on notebook screens and TV.

While all of them are not good in low light, but from medium light to sunlight I still see the shots taken with STL100-1 are the best so far.

Just my opinion

Posted via CB10
    I have noticed the same thing. The question I have is it a inherent in the Z30's camera or an individual aspect of YOUR or MY Z30's camera?

I have posted a lot of shots in the Z10-photo thread. But before posting I would look at them on the computer. I'd zoom in and check clarity. They looked really terrific. The same cannot be said for the photos I've been taking with the Z30. They are just not quite a sharp.

Again, the general Z30 camera or our units?
    02-09-15 11:02 AM
    I chuckle when folks are surprised cell phone cameras are made for professional photography. You hear the same thing on android central about most android phones. If photography is that big of a deal to you then get a real camera or pay the money for the one or two phones that have the extra pixels, but I doubt they would be as great as a real camera. Phone cameras are for portraits in good lighting and scenes outdoors in good lighting which is overcast days.

Posted via CB10
    I haven't said anything about professional photography here. But I'm glad you chuckle at those folks.

I didn't create this thread to bash BlackBerry cameras but to give my feedback on cameras on 3 different handsets, and save your advices I don't need you or anyone to tell me what to buy. Chill

Here I'm attaching two shots. One in the outdoors shot with STL100-2 and the cat's eye was indoor with medium light taken with STL100-1 (and of course, filtered)
    Opinion - Z30 camera is not as good as Z10-1423516786580_557497.jpeg
    Opinion - Z30 camera is not as good as Z10-1423516825643_557497.jpeg

Posted via CB10
    steakman911 and EsJayDee like this.
    02-09-15 04:26 PM
    I'm not convinced either way, I really don't have enough data personally. I do have both devices and have to admit I don't see much difference.

They both have the identical camera hardware and the identical camera software, so although I don't rule it out, I would find it strange that they would be different.

Perhaps you are seeing variability within one type of device rather than between device models.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    FF22 likes this.
    02-09-15 04:34 PM
    I have noticed the same thing. The question I have is it a inherent in the Z30's camera or an individual aspect of YOUR or MY Z30's camera?

I have posted a lot of shots in the Z10-photo thread. But before posting I would look at them on the computer. I'd zoom in and check clarity. They looked really terrific. The same cannot be said for the photos I've been taking with the Z30. They are just not quite a sharp.

Again, the general Z30 camera or our units?
    I don't know as well and I been experiencing the same as you described.

I think I read somewhere that both Z10 and Z30 use the same hardware for camera.. but I don't get it, why the difference then

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 04:40 PM
    It's the same camera in the Z10 and Z30, but different processors (maybe different ISPs?) in the STL100-1, STL100-3, and the Z30. Could account for some subtle differences. That said, I haven't noticed any appreciable difference from my Z10 to Z30 - both take exceptional photos in natural light.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-15 04:50 PM
    Although I agree with the sentiment that cell phone camera's are not something one should expect pro pics from...those shots you took are simply excellent. Impressive...particularly the cats eye.

I've also got a Z30...and find the pics are decent enough for my use.
    When i get in the mood or in a place that warrants it to take some pics I've got an entry level Nikon D3100. For everyday work I use a Sony Cybershot...(cant use cell phones on our oil sands site.)

Not a pro, but enjoy shooting.

stk
    menshawy likes this.
    02-09-15 09:36 PM
    Obviously a phone's camera cannot beat a real camera. But modern phones' cameras got some potential to produce decent shots.
    02-10-15 03:30 AM
    I had a z10 stl200. A year ago I changed to a z30 stl200. I find the z30 now better. I assumed it is due to the software difference as I am running the latest leak. Of course phone cameras are nothing like standalone cameras especially slr. But some still produce great images, and some are much better than others. My wife's g5 produces very nice low light photos.. and quality enough for her. To take my Nikon d7000 everywhere would not work. The quality of camera/ photography in a phone has increased greatly and I think is a critical part of a phone's assets. BlackBerry has not paid enough attention in the past. Two businessmen taking phone pictures together - one will be embarrassed if compares his BlackBerry photo to one of htc, g5, or iPhone. My view. This does not help phone sales.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    02-10-15 04:45 AM
    Quizm..I have to agree with your post. Daughter has a 4s and the pics are very good...

Rocking the superlative Z30 (STA100-5)....just wow!
    02-10-15 02:13 PM
    My sis has a z10 and i have a z30... then shots taken by z10 turn out to be somewhat better than the z30..!
    Maybe its the compression algorithm that's changed in the z30... but z10 sensor is quicker to focus than z30's.

Posted via my  Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.1949 
    02-10-15 11:46 PM
    The jpeg compression is cranked up really high on the Z30. I wish there was a setting in the OS where I could say please don't compress it so much. That's part of what is causing the camera problems. You can prove it for yourself with a still life with fine detail.

Take a picture with the Z30 and check the EXIF to see what shutter, iso and f-stop it selected.

Then on a different device take the exact same photo with same settings but using uncompressed tiff or png as a starting point.

Load up that image and save it 10 times or so lowering the jpeg compression each time.

Then compare and see which one in the fine detail matches.

I haven't compared, but I think they set the compression to high.

Posted via CB10
    FF22 and menshawy like this.
    02-14-15 11:13 AM
    The jpeg compression is cranked up really high on the Z30. I wish there was a setting in the OS where I could say please don't compress it so much. That's part of what is causing the camera problems. You can prove it for yourself with a still life with fine detail.

Take a picture with the Z30 and check the EXIF to see what shutter, iso and f-stop it selected.

Then on a different device take the exact same photo with same settings but using uncompressed tiff or png as a starting point.

Load up that image and save it 10 times or so lowering the jpeg compression each time.

Then compare and see which one in the fine detail matches.

I haven't compared, but I think they set the compression to high.

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm.. but even with a third party camera apps like Camera++ the results are same..

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 12:43 PM
    Does it let you specify the compression?

Posted via CB10
    02-14-15 07:19 PM
    Does it let you specify the compression?

Posted via CB10
    No. Maybe it's an OS related process
    02-15-15 04:29 PM
    No. Maybe it's an OS related process
    No, it's set to max quality (min compression) that device allows. I know it because in early days of Camera++ app I asked developer what settings are used and if they are configurable.

Also, hopefully quality can be improved or different format chosen when RAW format is used.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 07:33 AM
    Nice shots!
    02-16-15 08:12 AM
    The iPhone third party apps allow you to save as a TIFF. It's not quite RAW as they cannot do that, but TIFF is not JPG either.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 10:22 AM