So I got the Z30 today off-contract from TELUS. When I went put my SIM in, I found it difficult to pry open with my nails, so being the "genius" that I am, I used a credit card with a t-shirt over the card so as to not scratch the phone, to pry open the back by sticking the card at the bottom of the phone where there is that little divot/recess (I don't know what to call it) and pop, it opens a bit and I continue removing the back cover with my hands.. This method worked great with my Z10.

On the Z30, I knew the speakers are located near the divot/recess but I didn't think I would cause any damage. However, it looks like I might have pushed up the thin black cloth that covers the speaker holes. The thin black cloth is glued by the edges to the phone. I didn't push the cloth all the way up that it exposed the speaker hole, it just moved the edge of the cloth a bit upwards. I used my nail to push the cloth back down again.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but just wondering what is the purpose of this cloth? Is it just to protect the speaker holes from dust and particles from getting inside the phone?
    10-15-13 08:38 PM
    dust protection would be my first thought as well
    10-15-13 08:53 PM
    It is very tough to get the back off. The lady at the store used a screwdriver to pry the back off mine. She put a very tiny mark on the phone despite me warning her. To be fair I couldn't get it off either.
    10-15-13 09:26 PM
    It is very tough to get the back off. The lady at the store used a screwdriver to pry the back off mine. She put a very tiny mark on the phone despite me warning her. To be fair I couldn't get it off either.
    Screwdriver?! Ouch! I baby my phones, or try to at least. I would have cringed.

Posted via CB10
    10-15-13 10:29 PM
    My first time was easy, my second time hard. Fortunately there is no reason to do this often. On my Z10 I frequently switched batteries. Battery life on Z30 is awesome.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 05:15 AM
    It was very hard for me too. I use my nail and use my left hand for the left side of the cover. I get one side off first then the other obviously easily comes off.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 10:06 AM