09-11-13 09:12 AM
31 12
tools
    720p AMOLED will obviously be much more energy efficient then a triluminous 1080p LCD. You know this...you're just being negative for negative sake. Its lame, its tired, its old.

Z30 will have exceptional battery life which of course can be a marketable feature few other phones have.

Posted via CB10
    If the phone even launches, with the company trying to sell itself off, I wouldn't see any significant marketing as they hoard their cash pile to try and make the deal as sweet as possible - they will likely just push it out to a few carriers and let it die in the cold.
    szlevi likes this.
    09-05-13 01:10 AM
    How long of a battery life are we talking about here?

I get 3 (sometimes 4) full days (i.e. ~70-90 hrs) out of my S4 with a fairly moderate use (see the screenshot below for 26.5 hours of battery time, which includes 1 hr 48 mins of screen on time, 2 hrs and 13 mins of phone calls, about 40 text messages, some emails and app usage, about 30 mins of web browsing).

If the Z30 has even better battery life, that will be just fantastic. I am always pro longer battery life and definitely don't appreciate when OEMs make phones too thin at the expense of battery.
    09-05-13 01:33 AM
    I don't know what some of you may have heard, but the screen size, resolution, screen type, CPU, RAM, and OS all play a TREMENDOUS role in the battery life, aside from just the battery size. Here's why the Z30 will have good battery life.

Screen size is important because the more pixels your phone has to light up, the more energy it uses. In fact, the biggest power drain is the screen. If the S4 had a screen the size of a postage stamp, it's battery life would be phenomenal. Although the Z30 is more or less even with it's rivals here, compared to bigger panels on the Note 3, Z Ultra and to a lesser extent the G2, it makes a difference.

Some may discount the role resolution plays here, but think about it. The GPU pushes the pixels to the screen, and 1080p phones must have their GPU working harder than their 720p counterparts ALL THE TIME. This is significant.

LCD or AMOLED, why does it matter? LCDs need a backlight that must light the pixels (screen element) at all times, even when displaying black. AMOLED screens only need to light a pixel if it's color value is greater than black. AMOLEDs drain a lot less power. This is a very big factor compared to the LCD panel-based flagships.

Obviously, the more cycles a CPU runs, the more power it drains. Quad core has more cycles than dual core. Even though newer chips may be slightly more energy efficient, they also have higher clocks. (2.3 GHz in Sony's Z1 for example, compared to 1.7 in the Z30). I doubt the Z30 CPU uses more than 50-60% of the power of its high core competitors in the same state.

Why does RAM matter? Because a battery must power RAM even if it is not being used. Note 3 = 1.5 times the RAM to power. More RAM actually is actually a detriment to battery life. While this is actually the least important aspect in relation to battery life listed, it's still worth noting.

Other than the screen, the OS contributes a huge part to the energy savings. An efficient and well-made OS will use much fewer CPU cycles, run on less power in standby, access memory less, and have much better algorithms and modes for saving the battery. BB10 is a more modern and efficient OS (to those who believe this is just conjecture, please look at what devs say before making up your minds) than Android, for example.
    BB10's problem, ironically, lies in the fact that it does multitasking so well. All those apps running at once must steal that precious battery energy. Which is why the Z10 and Q10's battery life was less than what most people had hoped (although the Z10 in particular has a less than average battery size as well). Fortunately 10.1 and 10.2 updates have largely mitigated this problem, with most users reporting longer battery life. Running a lot of apps though, will still drain the battery faster than running a few.

To conclude, the Z30 will have good battery life. It does most of the things listed here better than its flagship competitors. BBOS at this point shouldn't be an issue and more of a plus battery life wise. And the battery itself at 2880 mAh is comparable and in most cases better than other phones. I don't expect Raze Maxx levels though. Maybe something more in line with the Note 2 or better. Which will be better than most of these 1080p phones out now, and those being released.
    09-05-13 06:51 PM
    I don't know what some of you may have heard, but the screen size, resolution, screen type, CPU, RAM, and OS all play a TREMENDOUS role in the battery life, aside from just the battery size. Here's why the Z30 will have good battery life.

Screen size is important because the more pixels your phone has to light up, the more energy it uses. In fact, the biggest power drain is the screen. If the S4 had a screen the size of a postage stamp, it's battery life would be phenomenal. Although the Z30 is more or less even with it's rivals here, compared to bigger panels on the Note 3, Z Ultra and to a lesser extent the G2, it makes a difference.

Some may discount the role resolution plays here, but think about it. The GPU pushes the pixels to the screen, and 1080p phones must have their GPU working harder than their 720p counterparts ALL THE TIME. This is significant.

LCD or AMOLED, why does it matter? LCDs need a backlight that must light the pixels (screen element) at all times, even when displaying black. AMOLED screens only need to light a pixel if it's color value is greater than black. AMOLEDs drain a lot less power. This is a very big factor compared to the LCD panel-based flagships.

Obviously, the more cycles a CPU runs, the more power it drains. Quad core has more cycles than dual core. Even though newer chips may be slightly more energy efficient, they also have higher clocks. (2.3 GHz in Sony's Z1 for example, compared to 1.7 in the Z30). I doubt the Z30 CPU uses more than 50-60% of the power of its high core competitors in the same state.

Why does RAM matter? Because a battery must power RAM even if it is not being used. Note 3 = 1.5 times the RAM to power. More RAM actually is actually a detriment to battery life. While this is actually the least important aspect in relation to battery life listed, it's still worth noting.

Other than the screen, the OS contributes a huge part to the energy savings. An efficient and well-made OS will use much fewer CPU cycles, run on less power in standby, access memory less, and have much better algorithms and modes for saving the battery. BB10 is a more modern and efficient OS (to those who believe this is just conjecture, please look at what devs say before making up your minds) than Android, for example.
    BB10's problem, ironically, lies in the fact that it does multitasking so well. All those apps running at once must steal that precious battery energy. Which is why the Z10 and Q10's battery life was less than what most people had hoped (although the Z10 in particular has a less than average battery size as well). Fortunately 10.1 and 10.2 updates have largely mitigated this problem, with most users reporting longer battery life. Running a lot of apps though, will still drain the battery faster than running a few.

To conclude, the Z30 will have good battery life. It does most of the things listed here better than its flagship competitors. BBOS at this point shouldn't be an issue and more of a plus battery life wise. And the battery itself at 2880 mAh is comparable and in most cases better than other phones. I don't expect Raze Maxx levels though. Maybe something more in line with the Note 2 or better. Which will be better than most of these 1080p phones out now, and those being released.
    +111

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 12:50 AM
    Let me just sum this debate up with simply saying I was right on and everybody else was dead wrong (especially the funny 720p vs 1080p debate): Xperia Z Ultra Battery Performance Out - IBTimes UK

09-10-13 08:23 PM
    If the Z30 comes out, it will be in my pocket. Simple as that. It looks great, I love the OS design. I love the integrations of the hub, Box apps, and exchange. And with a 2880 battery in it. I wont have to worry if its a 720p screen. I know better. My wife has a galaxy s3 and I have looked at 1080p screens. There is not much discernible difference. And if the stats are the best, who cares. As long as it flies through multitasking and does it's job. The 4.2 Runtime and Xbox music for all was what I was waiting for.
    09-11-13 09:12 AM
31 12