Too bad the replacement part is $150++
    I was going to ask what the screen is worth. I was sure it wasn't going to come in cheap.

Posted via CB10
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    01-12-14 09:28 PM
    I'm so sorry! That's awful! :'(

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 09:29 PM
    Yeah there is that
    01-12-14 09:30 PM
    Sorry to see/hear about your phone, that looks terrible. If you don't have any insurance/warranty (though the BlackBerry warranty should still apply for another several months), replacing the screen yourself is a cheaper option. Of course, only if you don't have any coverage at all.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 09:30 PM
    Sorry to see/hear about your phone, that looks terrible. If you don't have any insurance/warranty (though the BlackBerry warranty should still apply for another several months), replacing the screen yourself is a cheaper option. Of course, only if you don't have any coverage at all.

Posted via CB10
    No warranty for this type of damage unfortunately, so this one is on me.
    jrohland and 00stryder like this.
    01-12-14 09:33 PM
    Z10 screen replace was easy as hell. Or take it to pacific mall if you're in Toronto area. They only cost marginally more than the part does to install for you.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 09:37 PM
    Screen is easy to replace. Etradesupply dot com

Make certain you get the right screen. The VZW branded screen is unique to to all Z30'S.
    01-12-14 09:56 PM
    Well that just has to be bad luck, a friend lost her Z10 running around doing errands, her hubby found it on the street outside their condo, after having been run over!!!!......

.....amazingly the phone is fine except for a few scratches on the case, and some pixelation of the screen from the incredible pressure on it...

No screen protector, no case naked Z10, amazing I tell ya

Posted via CB10
    00stryder and David in Durham like this.
    01-12-14 10:16 PM
    The screen works 100% fine. No reduction in performance.
    The screen and touch element on the Z10 is one piece totally integrated where the Z30 has the touch element below the glass that you broke so like an apple it still works when you cracked it, where with a Zed 10 it becomes inoperable if you crack the screen

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rockivy; 01-12-14 at 10:33 PM.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-12-14 10:20 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that happened but I had to chuckle at your thread title. Doesn't seem like an oh la la moment to me lol.
    01-12-14 10:23 PM
    Awesome. Glad to know that if I drop my Z30, it's still a go.

Thanks everyone. And sorry for your loss OP

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier - via Z30
    01-12-14 10:25 PM
    Is there iSkin for the Z30 ? That's the one I use for Z10

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-12-14 10:27 PM
    What about ebay? I thought I saw the z30 glass and digitizer for around $75. The z10 screen assembly is dirt cheap at about $50.
    01-12-14 10:56 PM
    Omg man thats awful i feel for you, i got my Z30 and within the first 10 minutes dropped it and thankfully nothing serious. Just a little chip on the tope left and rough in some other spots. I had a mini heart attack i can only imagine what your were going through.
    01-12-14 11:02 PM
    Dang it just hurts to look at
    Sorry to hear of your misfortune, OP
    May she recover (read: be repaired) son!

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 11:43 PM
    I would like to know if the screen still responds to touch. (if it works at all)

I know on the Z10 is the screen cracks, even if it still works, it does not respond to touch. Is it the same for all BB10 phones? Or just the Z10?

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier - via Z30
    I have heard this repeated a number of times and it isn't true.

I've had a Z10 with a very smashed screen to where nothing was displayed. However I could still answer calls, for instance, because I knew where to swipe to answer it.

Maybe certain cases it stops working but apparently not all. Even in severe instances such as mine.

Van City Coffee ; WhitecapsFC ; PreMed Community ; Bristol Rovers Football Club
    01-13-14 12:05 AM
    Definitely sucks that you managed to hit that sweet spot that causes the screen to shatter. Smh. Sorry, OP.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 12:07 AM
    Nah a screen protector is essential for any phone I don't buy that gorilla glass crap.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    While it's true a screen protector is doing a better job to keep the display in mint condition than any Gorilla Glass variants out there, I am to 100% sure it wouldn't have helped at all in this very case. Those protectors help prevent the the screen from (light) surface damages like scratches. When heavy shattering like this comes into play, it wouldn't have done anything at all to save the display glass.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    NinjaB and Plazmic Flame like this.
    01-13-14 12:31 AM
    While it's true a screen protector is doing a better job to keep the display in mint condition than any Gorilla Glass variants out there, I am to 100% sure it wouldn't have helped at all in this very case. Those protectors help prevent the the screen from (light) surface damages like scratches. When heavy shattering like this comes into play, it wouldn't have done anything at all to save the display glass.
    ishieldz has been doing a great job for me and my Z10 so far ,dropped it on several occasions,got my fingers crossed,and if something happens ,well ,I'll get a Z30 so it wont be that bad after all.
    Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    01-13-14 06:27 AM
    That's very unfortunate, OP. I've dropped my bare naked phone on concrete, accidentally dropped it in the bath and it's running like nothing of the sort ever happened. Just scuffs, and a dent.
    01-13-14 07:14 AM
    That is the thing, the Z10 case was totally bomber and really stuck like glue to the phone. The Z30 Transform case? Not so much it seems.
    This may be a stupid question but is there any warranty/protection offered by the case manufacturer..? Any way to at least get a discount on the part?

my Z30 is sitting beside me in an otterbox and when I saw your picture I _had_ to flip it over and make sure it was still ok. I definitely feel for you.

If there's no warranty coverage on the case then might I suggest a sales pitch to Kevin and the team to do a series of repair videos to show people how to make common repairs to their own units? As a gracious volunteer for the first video they might be willing to set you up with the part and tools.
    01-13-14 08:19 AM
    Might as well get a new one. At least if he had insurance its 100 for a refurbished replacement. If you elected to the the Total Equipment Coverage through Tech Protect (Not Verizon) https://www.esecuritel.com/ 1-855-309-8345 they will replace your phone with a brand new one for $169
    01-13-14 09:27 AM
    This may be a stupid question but is there any warranty/protection offered by the case manufacturer..? Any way to at least get a discount on the part?

my Z30 is sitting beside me in an otterbox and when I saw your picture I _had_ to flip it over and make sure it was still ok. I definitely feel for you.

If there's no warranty coverage on the case then might I suggest a sales pitch to Kevin and the team to do a series of repair videos to show people how to make common repairs to their own units? As a gracious volunteer for the first video they might be willing to set you up with the part and tools.
    It's a Blackberry OEM case.

The only local place I can find that will do the fix wants $300+HST and needs a week to order the screen. At that rate, i'll probably just buy a new device and see if the price comes down in the future.
    01-13-14 09:51 AM
    It's a Blackberry OEM case.

The only local place I can find that will do the fix wants $300+HST and needs a week to order the screen. At that rate, i'll probably just buy a new device and see if the price comes down in the future.
    ouch.. $300 eh? man. If there's an inexpensive screen on e-bay as an earlier poster mentioned I might be inclined to give it a try on my own before paying $300 just to fix the screen.. That seems a little obnoxious though (obviously depending on the labour involved) to charge as much for the labour as the part costs..
    01-13-14 10:07 AM
    ouch.. $300 eh? man. If there's an inexpensive screen on e-bay as an earlier poster mentioned I might be inclined to give it a try on my own before paying $300 just to fix the screen.. That seems a little obnoxious though (obviously depending on the labour involved) to charge as much for the labour as the part costs..
    I may give it a shot on my own, but the price of the screen + shipping + exchange is still $200CAD. So assuming the shop is marking up their parts 20% (reasonable margin), they are only charging $60CAD for the labour.
    01-13-14 10:23 AM
92 1234