I've been laying that link down everywhere I can. If I can help even one person not go through what I am, then it's job done

I'm glad BlackBerry have got on the issue for sure and I do agree, solidarity is better for the community for sure. Just wish those people that dismiss real issues that pop up would stop. All it does is let more people end up with issues. If people had taken this more serious and not post bs like it's fine and just be you or you installed it wrong then maybe we could help others not end up in the same spot.

Posted on my now almost useless z30 that won't wake up
    Agree. And whatever anyone with a Z30 does, don't let your battery die!
    03-04-15 06:43 AM
    Just to say I have this problem, I upgraded to 10.3.1 last Thursday (UK, Vodafone, STA100-2).

The phone is now slow and sluggish for many functions, and no application that uses android emulator works. For example sound cloud take over a minute to bootup and get to a point you can select a track from your stream. Then it plays for 10 seconds, and stutters, playing 5 seconds and pausing 5 seconds, as network data lags.

I also recently installed Cisco VPN as well, since I have IPsec VPN to office and would like to enable this over mobile data sometime.

All other previous blackberry updated have been good and successful so I guess this time I need to factory reset the device and restore data. Does the BlackBerry Link function to do this have the same effect as the other suggestions in this thread ? There is a download to a mega.co.nz/*.exe somewhere in this thread, I am a little reluctant to download someones random EXE from the internet.

I have given the update now 5 full days to settle and it has not improved at all. The battery life is half what it used to be, I presume because all the time it is busy it is eating CPU.

Some questions on factory reset / restore:
    * Do I need to make a note of anything before I factory reset ? (which things are not restored ?)
    * How are the additional applications handled from the app store ? Their data ?

Other problem with the phone:
    * When placing a call, it does not update the screen for 3 seconds with a CALL CANCEL button. This means if you make a call accidentally (or to wrong number) you can not see the number or cancel it until it is actually ringing.
    * When it is ringing I now have to press this tiny button to mute the ring, I used to be able to press any part of the screen.
    * I prefer the previous colour scheme, it this a theme that can be set ?
    * Weirdness with the hub and notification, I hear an alert but there is nothing new in the hub. Some events are not duplicated in the list, that previously the most recent event (of the same type/app) succeeded.
    * Still can not have PC software locate device via Multicast beacon on the network (my WIFI network is not the same network as my WIRED network), so either the BlackBerry Link needs to know the static IP of the phone on WIFI or the phone and BBLink needs to support multicast to locate each other across the network. This is surely good for corporate use which surely also has WIFI and WIRED network connection on separate networks. The BBLink with WIFI only works on a home setup where they are the same network.
    * The Low battery mode notification is annoying, I have had it toggling on/off many times (more than 8) within a minute, it needs some kind of schmitt trgger / debounce to stop it turning itself off too soon.
    * BlackBerry Link software still shows the "Last Backup" date, even for failed backups that were started. Instead of the "Last Successful Backup" date which is more useful.

Good stuff:
    * BlackBerry Link + Phone USB connection does seem more reliable, but still not perfect. I can still unplug for 20 seconds, and plug in, and the windows software does not recognize the device is there for a minute or so. But this happens 1 in 4 times now, instead of most of the time.

Where is the SPOTIFY native app ?
    Last edited by dlmilea; 03-04-15 at 01:06 PM.
    03-04-15 10:13 AM
    Hmm my 64GB media card was encrypted. After a factory reset is there anyway to recover the master key to reactivate the original content ? Why didn't this get detected and warned before allowing the factory reset, I could have unencrypted it first.

It appears to use file-level encryption (so individual files are encrypted) but the file layout and directory structure is viewable and can be backed up.
    There are a few hidden files at the top level of the card that appear to relate the encryption (based on filenames).

I did a "full backup" before, this is only 4.5Gb, but card has over 20Gb on there.

Much of the content is recoverable (from other sources). But things like images/photos may not be, I presumed the "full backup" took care of that.

What are the options available to me at this point ?

Things I have done so far:

* Full backup
    * Factory reset (using BlackBerry Link to initiate), phone shutdown, then restarted taking 20min or so to reset, then powered off.
    * Powered on, answered locale questions, mobile network questions and put wifi online, completed basic gesture tutorial.
    * Hooked up phone to BlackBerry Link
    * Enable "USB Mass Storage Mode", so I have a drive letter on windows to access media card.
    * Currently creating a ZIP of the media card (as windows sees it), but files are individually encrypted.

Will restoring the "Full Backup" provide the device with the master encryption key for the media card?
    Will restoring the "Full Backup" put any files back onto the media card (such as images/videos) ?
    Should I format/erase media card before restoring the "Full Backup" ? Since I want the card to be in encrypted mode again, and the restore might restore images/videos etc... that were located on media card ?
    03-04-15 01:01 PM
    Don't know. I thought all encryption needed was the same phone unless the different OS's are using different encryption.
    03-04-15 01:12 PM
    Correct, once a phone is wiped, that data is lost forever, including encryption keys.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 11:36 PM
    Did a "Full Restore".

The phone software is still not performing anything like an acceptable product for me. There appears to be no specific feature or issue that is broken, some things work fine for a brief moment (1 time in 10), then will be too sluggish to use. In particular when starting an android emulated application things go really bad for the entire handset, for example opening "Settings" is impossible, I just get a blank black screen. This does appear to correct itself when I close the android app and wait about an hour. I've had music/audio playing (from somewhere) but no application open providing the music.

How do I uninstall Cisco VPN software ? One concern I had was this software was interfering with "networking" such that everytime something requires network access things did not work in a timely manner. The "Settings -> App Manager" does not appear to list every 3rd party application installed and a way to remove it.

So far the content on the media card has not been recovered.

How do I go back to 10.2 ? When I did a factory reset I got 10.3.1 as the baseline. I presume this baseline has every part cryptographically signed and verified, so there should be no way it can be corrupted ? Is there a way to verify the built-in flash and other consumable memory (as being fit for purpose?) These are the only 2 areas I can come up with.

I appear to have gone from a very reliable solid phone and software, to one that I would have returned to my mobile operator if it had been supplied in this state.
    03-06-15 05:40 AM
    Did a "Full Restore".

The phone software is still not performing anything like an acceptable product for me. There appears to be no specific feature or issue that is broken, some things work fine for a brief moment (1 time in 10), then will be too sluggish to use. In particular when starting an android emulated application things go really bad for the entire handset, for example opening "Settings" is impossible, I just get a blank black screen. This does appear to correct itself when I close the android app and wait about an hour. I've had music/audio playing (from somewhere) but no application open providing the music.

How do I uninstall Cisco VPN software ? One concern I had was this software was interfering with "networking" such that everytime something requires network access things did not work in a timely manner. The "Settings -> App Manager" does not appear to list every 3rd party application installed and a way to remove it.

So far the content on the media card has not been recovered.

How do I go back to 10.2 ? When I did a factory reset I got 10.3.1 as the baseline. I presume this baseline has every part cryptographically signed and verified, so there should be no way it can be corrupted ? Is there a way to verify the built-in flash and other consumable memory (as being fit for purpose?) These are the only 2 areas I can come up with.

I appear to have gone from a very reliable solid phone and software, to one that I would have returned to my mobile operator if it had been supplied in this state.
    You did a factory reset and you still have 3rd party software? I assume you did a restore. Is the phone sluggish before you restore? Possibility one of your apps or settings is causing the problems.

 Posted via Z10 
    03-07-15 05:20 PM
    @tmf06 my comment started, did a "Full Restore". So there is no reason to assume I did a restore. Yes I know it is theoretically possible an application or a setting is causing the problems, thanks for the great advice there.

Having used this 10.3.1 for many weeks now, I am still of the opinion I want to go back to 10.2 what are the issue with doing this ? I am happy to stay with 10.2 version for the next 9 months, when I am due a new subsidized handset.

Right now I'm on s/w release 10.3.1.1784, OS release 10.3.1.2582, radio version 10.3.1.2583 at this time, I think this is the 2nd update since the first 10.3 for UK vodafone.
    04-13-15 10:24 AM
    iPhones won't make your Android apps work, and there's a high chance at least ONE app you use will not be free and cost you some pennies you won't want to spend. Inb4 "NONE OF MY APPS ARE PAID MWAHAHA", you'll run into one eventually.

Let me point you to some commonly known broken updates in Android and iOS's very recent past.

- iMessage failing to deliver messages. ESPECIALLY during device switches. Common, and still not resolved. Been around since October 2013

- Constant inconsistencies in battery life for older devices. Newer software means newer things. Funny how that hasn't plagued us past the 24/48 settling period.

- Illegible fonts, unless you're on the newest devices or have higher than 20/20 vision because the font was so thin.

- Lockscreen Bypass anyone?

- Universal Search, that requires me to open a browser to search the web.

- Siri. 'Nuff said.

How about Android? Memory leaks abound and terrible battery drain with Android L. Too bad the vast majority of every Android device available now won't see the upgrade. Their only option is in the unofficial ROM communities. I'm always confused by people that curse flashing leaks but don't mind running CyanogenMod. And how long has Android L been out and is still experiencing these issues? How many features get broken regularly with minor updates and how long do carriers block updates on Android?

OP, you're living in one hell of an ecosystem of people that WANT to help you. Whether you take it or not is up to you -- We see people come and go all the time. We get threads about how BlackBerry sucks daily. We get that all the damn time.

What keeps us here? The fact that we don't subscribe to the idiocy that is common American-induced consumeristic idiocy.

But hey, sorry your UI hangs for a second when you get a call. Guess BB10 is the worst and BBRY is going out of business.
    Well put John! I couldn't agree more.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 11:02 AM
    @tmf06 my comment started, did a "Full Restore". So there is no reason to assume I did a restore. Yes I know it is theoretically possible an application or a setting is causing the problems, thanks for the great advice there.

Having used this 10.3.1 for many weeks now, I am still of the opinion I want to go back to 10.2 what are the issue with doing this ? I am happy to stay with 10.2 version for the next 9 months, when I am due a new subsidized handset.

Right now I'm on s/w release 10.3.1.1784, OS release 10.3.1.2582, radio version 10.3.1.2583 at this time, I think this is the 2nd update since the first 10.3 for UK vodafone.
    You're welcome and thanks for the sarcasm. The point was that there are often problems when restoring from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 and you should have at least tried without a restore. Good luck to you.

 Posted via Z10 
    Last edited by tmf06; 04-13-15 at 08:58 PM.
    04-13-15 08:28 PM
    Deleted -duplicate post
    04-13-15 08:53 PM
111 ... 345