I noticed that my Z30 notification sounds weren't working. After a restart it would work fine. I started doing some experimenting and found that sometimes I'll get a hiss/crackle just before this happens and I'm actually not getting any sound from any speaker (main or earpiece).

I've wiped the phone and reloaded the OS twice with no change. It's gotten to the point where I'm restarting 5 times a day. I'm going to have to go back to my Z10 until I can sort it out.

Anybody else have this happen? What could cause it? I know the earpiece speaker comes with the frame/lcd but what about the stereo speakers?
    10-20-15 08:51 AM
    Sounds more like hardware issue.
    The device ever get wet or damp?
    10-20-15 11:26 AM
    It's never been wet that I know of but I've only had it a few months. It worked great when I first got it and it's gradually been getting worse.

I know the earpiece speaker is part of the frame that usually gets done with the lcd. What else is on the frame? Could it cause a complete loss of audio? I just tested my headphone jack and it doesn't work either.

The only way to get any kind of audio output is to go through a Bluetooth speaker.
    10-20-15 11:45 AM
    The bottom center mic is on the display frame, but the speakers are on the rear frame.

It is odd that all the speakers are "out" as there is 3 of them (and 4 mics) without water damage.
    When you mention the hiss/crackling that is normally a sure sign of hardware issues, and mostly due to the speaker connection(s) getting wet/damp.

Speakers are here:
    No Sound At All-vltfpfi.png
    10-20-15 01:12 PM
    Have you run BB Virtual Expert? It has a series of tests.

But REBOOTING fixes it even temporarily? That is odd. When you reloaded the OS did you leave it that way for a day or two without installing any apps?
    10-20-15 01:56 PM
    The bottom center mic is on the display frame, but the speakers are on the rear frame.

It is odd that all the speakers are "out" as there is 3 of them (and 4 mics) without water damage.
    When you mention the hiss/crackling that is normally a sure sign of hardware issues, and mostly due to the speaker connection(s) getting wet/damp.

Speakers are here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VlTfpFI.png 
Views:	376 
Size:	204.9 KB 
ID:	376656
    It's not just the speakers, it's all audio. I've discovered that the 3.5mm jack doesn't work either. It's almost as though the control board or the audio chip(?) are bad.
    10-20-15 02:21 PM
    Have you run BB Virtual Expert? It has a series of tests.

But REBOOTING fixes it even temporarily? That is odd. When you reloaded the OS did you leave it that way for a day or two without installing any apps?
    Virtual Expert fails all audio tests. I can't do the microphone tests because it won't play back the recording.

Restarting was fixing it but the "up" times were getting shorter and shorter. Now it just doesn't work.
    10-20-15 02:25 PM
    Virtual Expert fails all audio tests. I can't do the microphone tests because it won't play back the recording.

Restarting was fixing it but the "up" times were getting shorter and shorter. Now it just doesn't work.
    OK, as you have tried OS wipes and reloads, it has to be hardware.
    Still a very weird issue.
    Do you have an warranty on the device or a service plan?
    Did you get it as a brand new, unused device, or through a third party seller as a used device?
    If No, No, and Used for above, do you have a T4 Torx and a bit of skill?
    It is pretty easy to open a Z30 up and see if there are signs of water damage.

10-20-15 02:49 PM
    OK, as you have tried OS wipes and reloads, it has to be hardware.
    Still a very weird issue.
    Do you have an warranty on the device or a service plan?
    Did you get it as a brand new, unused device, or through a third party seller as a used device?
    If No, No, and Used for above, do you have a T4 Torx and a bit of skill?
    It is pretty easy to open a Z30 up and see if there are signs of water damage.
    I got it used. It was locked to Rogers but I got a code and I'm now using it on Bell.

When I wiped it I restored it from a backup. Could that make a difference? Still sounds like hardware to me.

I was hoping that there was a single common part (frame, mid-frame, etc) that I could just change and solve the issue.
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    10-20-15 03:50 PM
    Give a clean wipe a shot, at this point you have little to loose, just to rule out some settings/backup-saved gremlin.

As we are not 100% sure were the fault is and "all" of the audio hardware seems to be effected, that may point back to the main board.
    While changing that out is possible, you are basically at that point switching devices, as the main board "is" your PIN & IMEI.

If you do decide to crack it open, take photos of your tinkering and post them here..... you got my fox curiosity up
    10-20-15 05:10 PM
    RESTORING could be "restoring" some problematic setting or app. That's why I asked. Probably not but possible. So reload the OS and do NOT restore for a day or two or even a few hours and see if the problem is gone or returns on a CLEAN SLATE. Good luck.
    10-20-15 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the help. I just used device switch to go back to my Z10.

I'll wipe the Z30 and reload tomorrow. I'll post my results.

Good thing I still like my Z10. It's no Z30 though. Lol

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 07:24 PM
    One question.

Should I do a security wipe first or just reload using Link?

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 07:52 PM
    One question.

Should I do a security wipe first or just reload using Link?

Posted via CB10
    Some folks are really into doing a security wipe. I think some have even done it the other way. Reload the OS then do a Security Wipe. Others, including me have never done a Security Wipe.

Be prepared, sometimes a Security wipe can take hours or some have gone more than a day. So if doing one, you might prepare by manually erasing as much as possible, making the phone less responsible for cleaning ever nook and cranny.

Good luck.
    10-20-15 11:58 PM
    I got it used. It was locked to Rogers but I got a code and I'm now using it on Bell.

When I wiped it I restored it from a backup. Could that make a difference? Still sounds like hardware to me.

I was hoping that there was a single common part (frame, mid-frame, etc) that I could just change and solve the issue.
    The Z30 is a 3 part piece. You have display + frame, main core component which is the CPU, RAM, Storage etc. And have the battery, speaks, microphone, camera frame etc. All together is 3 piece. Replacing parts for the Z30 is a piece a cake. So what you need?

http://m.etradesupply.com/blackberry...icrophone.html

http://m.etradesupply.com/blackberry...g-version.html

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    10-21-15 01:53 PM
    The Z30 is a 3 part piece. You have display + frame, main core component which is the CPU, RAM, Storage etc. And have the battery, speaks, microphone, camera frame etc. All together is 3 piece. Replacing parts for the Z30 is a piece a cake. So what you need?

[url]http://m.etradesupply.com/blackberry
    The first link you posted is the microphone. Was this supposed to be the frame?

So, if I understand this correctly, I can replace the frame/LCD and the mid frame but if I need the 3rd piece (processor/RAM?) I'm SOL?
    Last edited by Jeff07; 10-21-15 at 02:33 PM.
    10-21-15 02:04 PM
    The first link you posted is the microphone. Was this supposed to be the frame?

So, if I understand this correctly, I can replace the frame/LCD and the mid frame but if I need the 3rd piece (processor/RAM?) I'm SOL?
    Hey Jeff, yeah the microphone is a separate piece.

Yes you can replace the LCD only or replace the LCD + frame.

Watch this: a lot easier to understand and fix your Z30. I've it 3 times on mine.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    10-21-15 03:02 PM