Recently I have started to notice a decline in a couple big name sports apps for BlackBerry 10. Both NFL Mobile and MLB AT BAT 15 are no longer available on BB10! These were 2 great apps, especially the MLB app, one of the best I've used on BB10. I'm sure many would agree. Today I went to find it for the upcoming season only to find it will no longer be supported for BlackBerry 10, however IS available on Amazon for us.

No NFL or MLB AT BAT - How many BlackBerry apps are we going to lose now because of Amazon?-img_20150302_013121.png

So started to make me wonder, are more developers going to make the same decision to abandon BlackBerry knowing it now "runs" Android apps? We all are thankful to have Amazon or Snap on our BB's, and many are pretty good but still not quite the same with several others.
    Would still want J.Chen to PUSH for native app development, but it appears as though this is no longer a top priority for them; unfortunately. BlackBerry is now making deals with Amazon, Samsung and as noted last week, Google.
    So, are we done with app development on BB10 now? I'm sure there's plenty more who have done the same, and that's their decision to make. What are your thoughts? Should BlackBerry still push for native apps, or are you happy with running more and more Android apps?

Via The BlackBerry Z30 experience!
    Nakia Johnson1 likes this.
    03-02-15 12:52 AM
    Development goes where the money is, and they just don't see a big enough base any more to continue to provide the app natively, as far as they are concerned. If the app will run in Android runtime, it does disincentivize continuing native support, but there's little anyone has been able to do to encourage development.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-04-15 at 11:49 AM.
    kbz1960 and Laura Knotek like this.
    03-02-15 01:01 AM
    Personally I just use the browser for NHL and it works great and I don't have to download an app that'll take up a huge amount of memory.
    Get all the scores, see the standings, read the latest headlines and watch highlights.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 10:58 AM
    Personally I just use the browser for NHL and it works great and I don't have to download an app that'll take up a huge amount of memory.
    Get all the scores, see the standings, read the latest headlines and watch highlights.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and the browser does work great for scores, standings and news. Have espn.com and Rotoworld.com on the homepage for that. However MLB at bat offers SOO much more than the browser. FREE mlb game of the day TV, in game highlights within a few minutes after they happen, watch previous games and World Series games and now in 2015 is offering STATCAST http://m.mlb.com/news/article/110648...anding-in-2015 ... there's a reason why it's a $20 application.

03-02-15 12:11 PM
    We all need to email and explain that they will not be receiving the 19.99 from each of us for the android version.

They are literally going to lose dozens of us...lol
    Last edited by BergerKing; 03-04-15 at 11:50 AM.
    03-02-15 02:17 PM

We all need to email and explain that they will not be receiving the 19.99 from each of us for the android version.

They are literally going to lose dozens of us...lol
    Unfortunately "dozens" is probably right. Obviously a little exaggerated but can't see it being in the 10's of thousands.

Last edited by BergerKing; 03-04-15 at 11:50 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-02-15 04:41 PM
    Add me to that list. They obviously think it's more important to save a couple bucks, than risk making its BlackBerry users dissatisfied. No MLB on my BlackBerry then.

Android is going to become a really annoying cop-out for companies looking to cut its "BlackBerry user development and support costs ".

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by SomeoneOrOther; 03-02-15 at 07:39 PM.
    03-02-15 07:23 PM
    I bought at Bat last year. Emailed MLB last night about the 2015 version.

It was a higher revenue app in BlackBerry World, although I don't know how much you have to make to be a top grossing app.

I'm a casual fan who enjoyed listening to games while puttering around. No app, no MLB this year for me. I'm not going out of my way to get the app to work, I'm just not that interested.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 09:01 PM
    This really stinks.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-15 09:14 PM
    I bought at Bat last year. Emailed MLB last night about the 2015 version.

It was a higher revenue app in BlackBerry World, although I don't know how much you have to make to be a top grossing app.

I'm a casual fan who enjoyed listening to games while puttering around. No app, no MLB this year for me. I'm not going out of my way to get the app to work, I'm just not that interested.

Posted via CB10
    The tough part is I probably will try to get it through Amazon or Snap, only to be disappointed.

03-02-15 09:20 PM
    I think one of the problems is that many BlackBerry devices are company/government issued and have their app downloads locked out. The number of private BlackBerry users out there with complete domain over their phones is tiny. However... if your a BlackBerry device owner there's a reason for that. For me it's a very good communications tool and less of a toy. MLB will eventually work it out to put the app on amazon so BlackBerry users can get it. Personally I don't really like the Android ported apps but if I switched devices then I wouldn't like my device or any of the apps it runs...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    03-03-15 11:38 PM
    03-04-15 10:48 AM
    The tough part is I probably will try to get it through Amazon or Snap, only to be disappointed.

It's a free download, then you sub for the year or month to month. It's connected to you mlb.com account.
    All of the free features work fine, not willing to pay to find out if the audio and video actually work.
    03-04-15 03:24 PM
    I went through the Amazon app store and it said "this application is not supported by your device". What the hell!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 06:27 PM
    I went through the Amazon app store and it said "this application is not supported by your device". What the hell!

Posted via CB10
    Looks like I'll be loading snap tonight. This is bs. Why can't they just make it easy for us BlackBerry users. Very disappointing.

03-05-15 06:57 PM
    I don't even see the app on amazon and unfortunately my snap won't download anything. I have version 3 too. I've been a blackberry user for 10 years but I think I've had enough. First they shut down the music and movies and give us the useless 7 digital app and now we're steadily losing native versions of major apps. We�re left with android apps that sort of work. I don't really see the point with staying with BB anymore.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 05:23 AM
    I don't even see the app on amazon and unfortunately my snap won't download anything. I have version 3 too. I've been a blackberry user for 10 years but I think I've had enough. First they shut down the music and movies and give us the useless 7 digital app and now we're steadily losing native versions of major apps. We�re left with android apps that sort of work. I don't really see the point with staying with BB anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Any idea what seems to be the issue with SNAP? Haven�t had it on my Z30 since updating to 10.3.1. Was just about to go and download MLB AT BAT this week.
    I too am a long time BlackBerry user, and agree that the app situation still isn't completely resolved. BlackBerry World is RICH and smooth, and Amazon seems SLOW and clunky, yet BlackBerry seems to be content with that.
    HOWEVER...for me, I still can't justify switching to Android or iOS. The overall BlackBerry 10 OS experience is just SOOO much better. TRUE multitasking, best security, and the best keyboard still outweighs the APP issue. Hang on if you can...lol!

03-06-15 11:55 PM
    Back to the title of the thread. I have a feeling slow attrition will eat away at native apps. Can't blame developers who want to deal with one version, maybe two of their software.

Clearly, there will be some developers who realize providing a strong native approach to an app will present a good opportunity with less competition. But some of the mail stream outfits will probably not develop for BB10 devices.
    03-07-15 12:37 AM
    Has anyone been successful at getting MLB at bat from snap and have it working on their Z30?

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 11:29 AM
    It sucks. I supported the MLB app every year paying full price. Now I can't even get NFL or MLB on Amazon.

I wish they would at least port the Android version to the BlackBerry App store.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    03-07-15 02:16 PM
    Has anyone been successful at getting MLB at bat from snap and have it working on their Z30?

Posted via CB10
    I just downloaded the NFL android app from zippyshare and it works fine. I will wait and see if the native MLB comes to BlackBerry World. Looks like there is a chance.

03-07-15 07:19 PM
    Other natives apps I've not been able to get working today:

Stick Tennis
    Stick Super Sixes
    Despicable Me
    Amazing Spiderman

Yes the android versions for three of them work great but I don't want the ad banners from the Android versions. Go patch them you day via cobalt's method? Not an acceptable option for the general population.

BTW - the apps I listed above were being downloaded again from BlackBerry World 'My Apps and Games'. If you have them already on your phone chances are they should still work.

In the meantime, it sucks not having MLS available on my phone as a native option.
    03-07-15 08:31 PM
    MLS Android works great.

I'd be ok with an MLB app that works as well as the MLS app.

They removed Google Play services which were needed for the 2014 version (one of the updates introduced Google Play Services) . I was afraid that the same would happen when they added MLS Live in, but it didn't.

Asking for these apps to be native at this point seems like a dream. Unfortunately we are lucky to have working Android versions.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-15 12:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I downloaded the Android version of MLB At Bat via SNAP and it works. The audio works fine, as do the video highlights, but when I launch live game video, the app crashes. I use the app exclusively for game day audio, so not being able to see live video of games isn't a huge deal for me. There are apparently work arounds to get the game video working, but I haven't done them on my Z30. You can read more in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2015-a-987988/
    03-08-15 01:31 PM
    Yes, I downloaded the Android version of MLB At Bat via SNAP and it works. The audio works fine, as do the video highlights, but when I launch live game video, the app crashes. I use the app exclusively for game day audio, so not being able to see live video of games isn't a huge deal for me. There are apparently work arounds to get the game video working, but I haven't done them on my Z30. You can read more in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...2015-a-987988/
    If MLB does come back I would not be surprised if they replace the native with an Android port. It's a shame because the native they have is good.

03-08-15 02:29 PM
62 123