I bought two Z10s from Rogers on release day without a hassle but that was after being turned down by Future Shop and Best Buy. I'm wondering if there's any truth to Rogers releasing Z30 on the 29th? If that was the case I'll just wait the two more days and pay whatever they ask. If no luck there I'll just order online. Dealing with Telus has been very frustrating too. In this industry it seems like a lose lose situation. Oh BTW BlackBerry chick chaser rep will be in Fairview again today. What a waste of resources to pay someone to just stand there and occupy his time with store employees and not "prosumers" lol

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 07:17 AM
    I also have seen Team BlackBerry employees helping out at retail stores.

It seems to me that these Team BlackBerry people are not well trained. I sense that middle management is weak, unable to train their people.
    10-27-13 07:59 AM
    This is strange to me as I bought my z30 out right from Bell no questions asked.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 08:30 AM
    Thats where the whole issue of inconsistency comes into play. Really this should never be! If I wasnt a true and die hard Blackberry customer this would have been an easy time to just say screw it and move on to bigger players.
    10-27-13 09:14 AM
    Thats where the whole issue of inconsistency comes into play. Really this should never be! If I wasnt a true and die hard Blackberry customer this would have been an easy time to just say screw it and move on to bigger players.
    Wait, so are you saying that this only occurs with BlackBerry phones? You can walk into any retailer and buy any other newly released phone like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 off contract without any issues?
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    10-27-13 09:55 AM
    Wait, so are you saying that this only occurs with BlackBerry phones? You can walk into any retailer and buy any other newly released phone like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 off contract without any issues?
    Yeah, it's a carrier issue, not a BB specific issue...
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    10-27-13 10:02 AM
    May not be a BB specific issue but I need to be enlightened on something here... I've never bought an iPhone and was curious to know what's all the long lineups on new products release day is all about? Are all those people lining up to sign new contracts? I know many buy outright but I have no idea of what terms they do that under...
    10-27-13 10:19 AM
    In the Apple store, they actually sell unlocked IPhones.

I also had a hell of a time trying to get my Z30, I had to order online from Telus.

I hear if you go into corporate stores rather than dealer stores you're better off, still bull****.

I wish more manufacturers would have stores to buy outright, or at least had the option on their website. So we could choose to get a cheaper price on contract, or paying the full price for it.

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier on a Z30
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    10-27-13 10:49 AM
    I just placed an online order from Telus so we will see how that goes. Never in my wildest imagination I expected this sort of thing though. Ultimately I still think it's BlackBerry who should be making it easier to pick up phones. Thank you for the clarification on Apple stores. Just leaned something today.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 10:56 AM
    OK folks, I've given up for now. No one is selling me the damn phone outright in my area. Upper Canada mall/no. Pacific Mall/no, Scarborough Town Center /no, Markville/no, Pickering Town Center /no. I'm completely out of ideas here.

Posted via CB10
    I'd suggest going to Rogers in Brampton (Lisa St; speak to Michael or Eric) or find the model for the carrier you want online.

Carrier's must give the customer an option to buy outright and must unlock the phone if asked by the customer.
    Anilu7 and TrueKulcha like this.
    10-27-13 11:05 AM
    If you guys have a friend at Telus, I just checked the employee friends and family site and it is $550 for the Z30 which is not bad. And shipping is free. If you are signing a contract the price is $79. I just ordered one for a friend.
    TrueKulcha likes this.
    10-27-13 12:08 PM
    Sure is a good time to make a friend there if that's the case lol..

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 12:28 PM
    I may place another order and get one for my dad, $550 is a great price in my opinion. Sometimes they have some random things in the special section, right now they have an xbox Kinect listed.
    10-27-13 12:33 PM
    I'd suggest going to Rogers in Brampton (Lisa St; speak to Michael or Eric) or find the model for the carrier you want online.

Carrier's must give the customer an option to buy outright and must unlock the phone if asked by the customer.
    Carriers will sell the phone outright, but maybe not right away. They wait until the initial rush is over, depending on the popularity of the phone. For example, the day the Z10 launched, there was no-one who would sell it outright. Carriers will unlock the phone, but I was told by Bell that I'd have to wait 6 months after I got the phone (Q10) to have it unlocked. Don't know how that is for other carriers. Perhaps with a feature phone it is different but they are trying to get you on contract and suck you in for 2 years... I don't know how it works for other countries, just my experience in Canada with Bell.
    10-27-13 12:35 PM
    I bought two Z10s from Rogers on launch day so that info is slightly off. No questions asked either

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 01:25 PM
    Hey all! Just something to put out there if you really want it. When Z10 was launched I ran in to same thing, but there is a work around. Policy is that a store will not sell device out right if it's new device and I tried several stores. They only sell on contract or new activation. If you are willing do a new activation obviously subject to credit check, but if your credit is fine your good to go. Sounds dumb but when I probed 3 stores confirmed. So I activated new line month to month, bought 2nd sim card and walked out. I then called and canceled new line and transfered phone to existing line.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 04:42 PM
    My Z30 experience.

Hamilton, Ontario. Eastgate Mall Telus Store

-walked in and purchased out right. But they said "only if you activate on Telus account"

-I told them I was upgrading my Z10, but wanted to buy this outright and take it home and upgrade at my leisure.

-They said fine, and charged me a $35 activation fee, and said when I put my sim card in, the new phone will work.
    10-27-13 05:00 PM

CJH and all: we must pressure the CRTC to create a new regulation that gets all phone retailers to offer the phone -- any phone-- at two prices, one of which is unlocked uncontracted.
    10-27-13 06:32 PM
    My question to the Telus manager on Friday night was what's the meaning of "no term" as is stated in your prices. You cannot say "no term" and yet demand that I sign up for a monthly or month to month term before purchasing becomes a possibility. Something is seriously wrong here. All I get after that was shoulder shrugs and they hadn't much to say after.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 07:06 PM
    My question to the Telus manager on Friday night was what's the meaning of "no term" as is stated in your prices. You cannot say "no term" and yet demand that I sign up for a monthly or month to month term before purchasing becomes a possibility. Something is seriously wrong here. All I get after that was shoulder shrugs and they hadn't much to say after.

Posted via CB10
    But what if you sign a month to month and then go home and cancel? Don't we still have the 15 day cooling off period? I know with Koodo you can cancel right away and worst case you will have to pay for that one day of service.

Posted via CB10
    10-27-13 11:05 PM
    Carriers will sell the phone outright, but maybe not right away. They wait until the initial rush is over, depending on the popularity of the phone. For example, the day the Z10 launched, there was no-one who would sell it outright. Carriers will unlock the phone, but I was told by Bell that I'd have to wait 6 months after I got the phone (Q10) to have it unlocked. Don't know how that is for other carriers. Perhaps with a feature phone it is different but they are trying to get you on contract and suck you in for 2 years... I don't know how it works for other countries, just my experience in Canada with Bell.
    That sucks; had a similar issue in England trying to buy my Z10 off contract, had to contacts the company's customer service dept.
    Ordered with them, collected in store.
    10-28-13 12:18 AM
    As far as I can see it's actually cheaper than your Telus $600+tax: BlackBerry Z30 (Telus) (Unlocked) (Black)
    10-28-13 01:16 AM
    One Telus sales agent mentioned to me that going the route of activating and cancelling will have a negative impact on my credit rating so that idea was scrubbed. It is a work around for sure though.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 01:17 AM
    CJH and all: we must pressure the CRTC to create a new regulation that gets all phone retailers to offer the phone -- any phone-- at two prices, one of which is unlocked uncontracted.
    I encourage you all to do that, but honestly what I believe what you will find out is that Telus, Rogers, Bell, all other carrier stores, and even your Best Buys and Future Shops are there to sell there respective carrier wireless service.

I mean if you stop and put your personal desires aside for a moment, doesn't it make sense for the main purpose of a store with a Telus sign out front, with employees paid by Telus to insure the longevity of Telus by selling Telus service?

Of course, I'm just using Telus as an example here, but you can insert any carrier or contracted seller of there service in its place like your Best Buy or Future Shops as they are contracted to sell the carrier's service.

As a convenience of signing up for the (said carrier's) service, the (said carrier) has stocked their localized retail store with some of the most popular phone you can use with their service to seal the deal of buying their service.

There isn't any wrong doing going on here. It's business!
    10-28-13 06:09 AM
    With the changes already announced this year which go into effect in December, you likely wont see any other policy directives from the CRTC for at least another year (since the changes that were announced were the result of consultations over the last year or so).

And besides, it is already better than it was before as now the carriers will have to unlock the phone after 90 days. If you want it before that point, you will have to pay for it which I personally find to be fair.

In addition, if most people buy on contract (which I assume they do due to the subsidy and that most of the changes from the CRTC are related to contracts), offering phones at an additional price level (one for on contract, one for off contract, one for off contract and unlocked?), I suspect that those trying to buy off contract and unlocked would be such a minority compared to the whole that it wouldn't be worth it.
    10-28-13 06:56 AM
66 123