If you are on a three year contract, check out the upgrade route. I am with Rogers, on a new contract that started when the Z10 was released and the contracts were still three years. My upgrade is about $300 to pay off the old device, then the $159 and $35 upgrade fee and I only have to sign a two year contract. If I went this route, I am actually shortening my contract period from the about two years and three months remaining to two years and getting the new phone. Just guessing, if I add all the fees and add tax, a Z30 would cost me about $568.
    10-28-13 07:56 AM
    If you are on a three year contract, check out the upgrade route. I am with Rogers, on a new contract that started when the Z10 was released and the contracts were still three years. My upgrade is about $300 to pay off the old device, then the $159 and $35 upgrade fee and I only have to sign a two year contract. If I went this route, I am actually shortening my contract period from the about two years and three months remaining to two years and getting the new phone. Just guessing, if I add all the fees and add tax, a Z30 would cost me about $568.
    I'm just curious to know if your monthly payments would remain the same even with the shortened term? If that is so then according to your maths this would be a good way to go and as a bonus you can even sell the Z10

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 08:14 AM
    I'm just curious to know if your monthly payments would remain the same even with the shortened term? If that is so then according to your maths this would be a good way to go and as a bonus you can even sell the Z10

Posted via CB10
    Yes, they keep your existing contract rates and if you are a long time user, they are probably much less than the current rates. To save yourself the many trips to the various kiosks where they may try to sell you new services, the best approach would be to order it via the customer retentions. We upgraded to a Q10 and a Z10 when each of them first came out and there were no changes to the previous contracts, just a new term.
    10-28-13 08:23 AM
    Carrier stupidity just continues to amaze me. I went back to a Telus store today to buy another Z30 (I bought one online but mistakenly returned it as I prefer to buy locally in case of issues so the return is easier).

Anyways, the Telus store in Ottawa (Carlingwood) said 'sure' when I asked to buy it outright. I'm like 'great', since I tried here before (and other stores in Ottawa) and they refused to sell off contract. Then the girl said she just needed to activate the phone.

I asked her what she meant by 'activating' and she said registering the device to my account which I clarified was essentially putting my SIM card in and she said 'yes'. I didn't have my Telus phone on me as it is a secondary device and I told her I prefer to activate it myself so she refused to sell it to me, even though I had an account and she verified that.

This of course resulted in a bit of an argument/discussion because the stupidity of what she was telling me. Essentially, they are refusing to sell it without it being activated to keep me from turning around and using it on another network and selling it. Except in no way does inserting a Telus SIM card into the device stop me from unlocking it as soon as I leave the store.

In addition, if I am buying it outright, I own the bloody phone and there is no way I'd let someone else open it up and use it before me. Essentially, if you did that you are selling a 'used' device, not a new one.

I have to wonder if these employees are really aware that what they are saying in no way makes any sense. I'd also like to meet with whomever comes up with this crap and beat them with a stick.

And you wonder why carriers in Canada are so despised.

EDIT: So called Telus to complain about it and was told there was no reason for them to require activation before leaving the store and that a note would be made on my account so I could go back and purchase it with no issue. Guess we'll see what happens.
    Last edited by Fr3lncr; 10-28-13 at 02:16 PM.
    10-28-13 01:54 PM
    I just hope that when you go back the same sales girl is present.. I'm so fed up of crap. Everywhere we ate reading how BlackBerry is struggling bit yet we can't buy a damn phone

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 03:01 PM
    I just hope that when you go back the same sales girl is present.. I'm so fed up of crap. Everywhere we ate reading how BlackBerry is struggling bit yet we can't buy a damn phone

Posted via CB10
    So, just got back and, yes, had the same girl. She remembered me and I said simply that I called Telus and there should be a note on my file to sell me the Z30 without activation. All she said was 'Okay' and five minutes later I was done (minus the 20 minutes waiting to actually talk to someone).

Interestingly, three other customers in the store and all had BB phones.
    10-28-13 07:45 PM
    Errr... I must have really crappy luck as I have a bad device. First time turning it on and it starts talking to me. Turns out the 'screen reader' is enabled(!?!) and I can't turn it off because the touchscreen doesn't work. Rebooted it and same thing happened again. After a third reboot, it seems to be working.

Still will go back and swap it for another one to play it safe (which is why I prefer to buy local in the first place rather than online).

Maybe all this hassle is a sign telling me I should wait...
    10-28-13 08:01 PM
    Similar issues in Calgary. First Telus store would sell it to me but were out of stock. Second refused to sell it to me without a contract. I told him the last store had no issue and the clerk had even called his regional manager and got the ok. This guy was just an all round youknowwhat and wouldn't budge. Third store (Calgary flagship in a chinook mall) had no problem selling it to me and found it very strange that the other store wouldn't. I should have gone back to the second store with my receipt. Ohwell. Just have to keep trying till you find some employees who aren't power tripping.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    10-28-13 09:35 PM
    Similar issues in Calgary. First Telus store would sell it to me but were out of stock. Second refused to sell it to me without a contract. I told him the last store had no issue and the clerk had even called his regional manager and got the ok. This guy was just an all round youknowwhat and wouldn't budge. Third store (Calgary flagship in a chinook mall) had no problem selling it to me and found it very strange that the other store wouldn't. I should have gone back to the second store with my receipt. Ohwell. Just have to keep trying till you find some employees who aren't power tripping.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    I'd definately go back to the second store with the receipt just for the heck of it.
    10-28-13 10:09 PM
    I know if we really were to press this issue the "power tripping " employees would have to budge. Just the wording alone where is says NO TERM price would have to be honoured. You cannot have a listing for NO TERM and then demand that I go on a monthly TERM before I can make a purchase. On Friday last I questioned the store manager on this very wording and she had no answer..

Posted via CB10
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    10-29-13 05:54 AM
    Interestingly enough, when I went to get my replacement Z30, I went to another Telus store in Ottawa (Bayshore) and after doing my return, he went to grab a knife to open my new one and I said I would do the activation myself and all he said was 'sure '. So no issue at that store with that staff member.

So, very inconsistent practices being applied. I would suggest if you are having problems to just call Telus if you can first to work something out before going to a store and save some hassle.

Or just buy online as you get a 30 day return policy vs 14 day return in store. But if something goes wrong (like with mine), you need to wait a bit longer for a replacement.

Good luck and belive me I feel your pain and frustration.

Typed easily on my Z30
    10-29-13 12:45 PM
    Well I think my luck with getting a Z30 is around zero right now. On sunday I decided to place an online order and up to today there was no confirmation email.. went to Telus live chat site and was advised to go to a nearby store and they should be able to just sell me one. When I got to the store the manager said he only had two on hand but directed me to one that showed more than an adequate stock on hand. When I got up there it was the same song.. sorry but bla bla bla... anyway I called Telus webstore number again to see if anything can be done and all I was advised to do is place another order from scratch. Well I did that and its still not in the system.. I'm just seriously fed up..
    10-29-13 03:28 PM
    Well I think my luck with getting a Z30 is around zero right now. On sunday I decided to place an online order and up to today there was no confirmation email.. went to Telus live chat site and was advised to go to a nearby store and they should be able to just sell me one. When I got to the store the manager said he only had two on hand but directed me to one that showed more than an adequate stock on hand. When I got up there it was the same song.. sorry but bla bla bla... anyway I called Telus webstore number again to see if anything can be done and all I was advised to do is place another order from scratch. Well I did that and its still not in the system.. I'm just seriously fed up..
    I went to a Telus store and they said I had to buy with a contract (a month to month) so I phoned Telus customer care and told them / complained lol. And they said buy it and set up a month to month account, and then Telus customer care canceled the account same day and credit me the month to month charge thus leaving me with no extra charge mind you I had to talk customer retention but it should work for you too or try Telus support on twitter they helped me too

Posted from my Z30.
    10-29-13 04:20 PM
    With regards to the online order, after the first billing confirmation, they wont send you the shipping confirmation until likely you already have it. I got my email that it was 'shipped' 4 hours after I had it in my hands.

If you are talking not getting the initial billing/order confirmation, then yes, that is weird since that is automated. Maybe check your junk mail??
    10-29-13 04:33 PM
    Just checked junk mail and nothing there but thanks for the heads up on that. Didn't think about that before. I found one Telus shop that will sell out right but it will cost an extra $65... something about service charge lol. now I know that's still better than Bell but I'm wondering where Rogers will come in price wise..

Posted via CB10
    10-29-13 04:46 PM
    Trying to find a Flip top case for a Z30. Seen them on Crackberry but when you want one?

Enable forums
    11-01-13 04:47 AM
66 123