Source Globe and Mail Apr 2nd ...Mr. Chen placed the blame for sagging handset sales partly on poor consumer pickup and promised to push more into direct sales to business clients. He also outlined plans to release a second, cheaper, BlackBerry handset powered by Android that might retail for $350. He described it as being in the mould of 2013�s Z30, which would indicate a fully touchscreen device with no physical keyboard.
    04-02-16 02:24 PM
    Poor consumer pickup because it is too expensive.
    04-02-16 03:37 PM
    I don�t see how such a device could help BlackBerry at this point, and I have a Z30! This kind of move would lower BlackBerry's ASP, the device would be under-marketed, and BlackBerry would never sell enough units to matter because that price point for Android devices is extremely competitive. I think Chen just hopes to sell off more old Z30 parts before shutting down smartphone hardware division, if this rumor is even true.
    04-02-16 03:46 PM
    While it would reduce the ASP, 100 units at ASP of $300 vs 200 units at an ASP of $200?

Blackberry hardware troubles are a series of blunders starting with Jim & Mike, Thorn and now John

When John decided to go Android he should have gone all or nothing. Multiple Android devices at different price points. The PRIV was simply too expensive at $799. Blackberry needed numbers, give yourself a chance with multiple price points.

The Multiple Price Points could be as simple as a single device with
    - different storage specs 16GB, 32GB, 64GB and
    - different front/rear facing camera specs and
    - all touch like the Z30. (Person who want keyboards on phones have got to be less that 1% of the market)

Also John needs to remember the Asian, Latin America & Caribbean, African markets.
    04-02-16 06:52 PM
    I think the z30 is the best device for BlackBerry to slightly update and install android onto for the following reasons.
    It has a long lasting built in battery, expandable storage, great speakers, capable antenna, and simple form factor that will be easy to manufacture rugged or thin cases for.
    Secondly, the screen on the z30 has some benefits that are usually overlooked. Whilst 720p is adequate, it doesn't need as much juice as 1080p or higher, the 16:9 aspect ratio works well with android apps, and best of all its easy and cheap to replace the 5 inch screen. I shattered my screen some months ago and it took me no more than 5 mins and $40 to replace it. That's a huge plus I think for IT professionals that have to maintain the devices.
    Realistically, all BlackBerry would need to upgrade from the current z30 is add some extra ram, a current mid level cpu, a better camera and add a layer on the screen to help with outdoor viewing.
    If BlackBerry achieve this, sell them at a low - mid level price an include their services, I don't see why businesses wouldn't be buying them.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 08:29 PM
    Heck I'd consider buying one when my kids need a replacement

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    04-02-16 09:29 PM
    I would be interested in a Z30 style device with Android. The Z30 was very nice.

Posted via overheating lollipop Priv
    04-02-16 09:33 PM
    Source Globe and Mail Apr 2nd ...Mr. Chen placed the blame for sagging handset sales partly on poor consumer pickup and promised to push more into direct sales to business clients. He also outlined plans to release a second, cheaper, BlackBerry handset powered by Android that might retail for $350. He described it as being in the mould of 2013�s Z30, which would indicate a fully touchscreen device with no physical keyboard.
    It's a bit unusual to hear consumers being blamed for a device which:

- was over priced
    - had poor build quality
    - was not advertised
    - related with a niche form factor (slider and pkb)

But hey...why blame yourself when you can blame someone else right?
    While I think BlackBerry does need to release a full touch slab they need something separating them from others in the android market. Not sure how much cheaper BlackBerry can make a phone before it starts to look cheap also. Hopefully they don't skimp too much on parts.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    04-02-16 09:59 PM
    A Z30 upgrade running Android might work. BlackBerry has to introduce a few colors at the same time: black, white, blue?, and red. And most importantly introduce them at the same time and across all carriers. This is one of the things holding BlackBerry back in handset sales (among other things). By the time the Priv was announced on Verizon the phone had been out for several months.

It will also need a good processor, great camera, and stunning screen, and water resistant. Basically an S7 built for BlackBerry. Most people don't NEED all those things--they WANT them.

I'm currently using the Classic. But sometimes I feel like going back to the Z30 because it has a good feel and I do sometimes miss the larger screen. Since my Classic and Z30 are still going strong I'm not planning on getting a new phone this year. But if BlackBerry announces an all-touch slab phone that surpasses the Z30 in feel and performance I will seriously think about getting it.
    heepman likes this.
    04-02-16 10:04 PM
    I would be interested in a Z30 based new phone but I am not sure Android is the way to go. I have never had an Android device but I hear a lot of complaints about them. I think it would be great if they could make a dual OS device because I feel BB10 is the best out there but it would be nice to also have the advantages of Android apps

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 10:13 PM
    .... Basically an S7 built for BlackBerry. Most people don't NEED all those things--they WANT them..
    Right. Because Blackberry can build an S7 cheaper and faster than Samsung? The Android route was a bit suspect to me from the start, but at least the Priv tried to sell a keyboard and security. An S7 / Z30 'droid? What's your differentiator? Security? "Nobody" actually wants that.

You gonna make it cheaper? Really? Cause you could beat the pricing from the likes of Xiaomi or Huawei who have owned up to selling at cost.
    sonicpix likes this.
    04-02-16 10:50 PM
    I would be interested in a Z30 style device with Android. The Z30 was very nice.

Posted via overheating lollipop Priv
    I don't think so, there's so many devices same like z30 with android OS out there. The best part from Z30 it's because running at BlackBerry OS 10 which have amazing capability (even with hardware which already outdated)

Posted Via Q10 10.3.2.2836
    04-03-16 05:12 AM
    Keep in mind he might not have any actual plans for this device. Chen was stating an idea and nothing that was concrete at all
    04-03-16 05:14 AM
    Keep in mind he might not have any actual plans for this device. Chen was stating an idea and nothing that was concrete at all
    JC speaks in riddles. I find with him you have to read between what he says otherwise you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

"Committed" to BlackBerry 10. Yes, but how and for which market?
    04-03-16 08:34 AM
    I think the z30 is the best device for BlackBerry to slightly update and install android onto for the following reasons.
    It has a long lasting built in battery, expandable storage, great speakers, capable antenna, and simple form factor that will be easy to manufacture rugged or thin cases for.
    Secondly, the screen on the z30 has some benefits that are usually overlooked. Whilst 720p is adequate, it doesn't need as much juice as 1080p or higher, the 16:9 aspect ratio works well with android apps, and best of all its easy and cheap to replace the 5 inch screen. I shattered my screen some months ago and it took me no more than 5 mins and $40 to replace it. That's a huge plus I think for IT professionals that have to maintain the devices.
    Realistically, all BlackBerry would need to upgrade from the current z30 is add some extra ram, a current mid level cpu, a better camera and add a layer on the screen to help with outdoor viewing.
    If BlackBerry achieve this, sell them at a low - mid level price an include their services, I don't see why businesses wouldn't be buying them.

Posted via CB10
    Z30 was a failure and I bought three of them. Another major miss by BlackBerry because it was behind everyone else upon release.

They need an all touch with excellent specs priced to break even. They fail to recognize what consumers want. The Z10 was the closest they came.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-16 09:10 AM
    It is probably in the actual mould of the Leap but with Android and a faster chip.

"He also outlined plans to release a second, cheaper, BlackBerry handset powered by Android that might retail for $350. He described it as being in the mould of 2013�s Z30, which would indicate a fully touchscreen device with no physical keyboard."

Posted via CB10
    Uzi likes this.
    04-03-16 10:03 AM
    The z30 is the best device ever made by BlackBerry. Just the feeling when holding it was wonderful. That smooth and grippy carbon weave back with curves all around was great, and the best stereo speakers on a mobile device
    04-03-16 10:27 AM
    I will pay $1,000 US for a Z30 replacement with proper specs that uses BALANCE with BB10 on one side and ANDROID on the other. They can take the runtime out of BB10 and you can have all your Apps on the Android side. For me this would be the perfect phone!

Posted with my Z30 on CrackBerry 10
    04-03-16 11:13 AM
    Poor consumer pickup because it is too expensive.
    Poor consumer pickup because no one knows that BB makes phones due to the complete lack of Marketing.
    04-04-16 12:02 AM
    One more BB10 slab device, Chen. Finally, you will have a device that sells itself.
    04-04-16 12:27 AM
    Chen has completely lost his marbles.

Before... consumers don't matter... but we're going Android to pander to consumers... and now it is consumers fault that his 1d10t1c schemes don't work?

Schemes that he willfully chose not to even tell consumers about?

This guy is so out to lunch it has become farcical!
    nt300 likes this.
    04-04-16 12:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yea I believe this move would be predominantly motivated by the need for enterprise users to update there devices. I hope this gets released later this year.
    04-04-16 02:32 AM
    Poor consumer pickup because no one knows that BB makes phones due to the complete lack of Marketing.
    Absolutely. This is the number one reason why BlackBerry is now in deep smelly stuff.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    04-04-16 03:57 AM
    I went to the Priv for 60 days and recently moved back to the Z30. The Priv was a nice phone, but I am not a fan of Android. The BlackBerry 10 OS is just far superior and more productive. My only frustration in going back to BB10 is the lack of apps. Something just changed and now I cannot get Google Services running correctly.

It is really sad that the best OS in the market is dying off and all of us who have been loyal ( stupid?) will be penalized. I really don't want to be forced to make a move but it may happen sooner than later.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-16 07:48 AM
    I'm doubting it will happen....

I doubt enterprise is going to be interested in another short lived BlackBerry product. I doubt Carriers are going to be interested in another low volume BlackBerry product. I think if Chen were serious about selling Enterprise... he'd have a roadmap of devices and software updates cycles... Android N this fall? And there would be no mention of getting out of hardware. I don't know how much more doubt Chen could have put on the future of the hardware business... short of shutting it down. Even if an enterprise customer was considering the PRIV, could they really go forward now?

But we have the PRIV, still at full price... getting release in new markets where it won't get much support at all. I've seen post where some think that Verizon would have made a huge difference last quarter, but I doubt VZW sold 25K PRIVs. The S7 overshadowed it in just about every way... even hardcore BlackBerry fans were having to think twice. Going forward... G5, M10 will only push the PRIV further down the Android ladder.

I just don't see how ANY new device release will meet Chen goals for profitability. A lower priced device means a lower ASP and even lower profits, and I don't see a way to increase sales in a market where there is no confidence in the future of your products.

I think Chen is talking about what he would have liked to have done, it the PRIV had sold better. But I think now he is just trying to meet whatever obgulation he has with carriers and the builder.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-04-16 08:29 AM
81 123 ...