04-13-14 07:32 PM
28 12
tools
    First off - new Z30 YAY - love the phone and will have a review later.

This is the STA 100-2 version. 3G bands 800/850/900/1900/2100.

I've got a TrueMove H Sim Card in (traveling in Thailand) which apparently runs on 3G 850 Mhz. So far so good.

For the life of me I can't get data to work. In 'Settings' I've gone into Mobile Network. At the bottom it says True-H. Below that h - Voice Only.

There's an APN gear at the bottom but when I enter APN details (APN internet, username true, password true) and hit 'save', it goes back to the previous screen and then there's nothing at all in the APN area.

The phone's unlocked, it's compatible with the bands, I've called the carrier and there's nothing they can do, send, change or update on the system. What exactly am I doing wrong here?

edit: software release 10.2.0.224
    Last edited by Krishna Ram; 01-20-14 at 05:26 AM.
    01-20-14 05:09 AM
    Go to settings >About >Network, press the 3 dots in the bottom corner and then 'Register Blackberry' wait 30 seconds and than press and hold the volume up and down button until the handset reboots.
    01-20-14 06:21 AM
    OK! Did that, got a message saying 'device registered for blackberry services'. Got excited. The phone rebooted. But when I go into Mobile Network - it still says the same thing at the bottom. True-H. h-voice only. I've got the bands set at HSPA+UMTS/GSM ... And again, when I go into the APN gear (Mobile Network screen), I can put the APN name username and password the carrier gave me but it doesn't save. So frustrating!

I get the device registered message when wifi is on. Nothing when I turn it off. Do I do what you asked me to do with or without wifi?
    Last edited by Krishna Ram; 01-20-14 at 07:01 AM. Reason: clarification
    01-20-14 06:56 AM
    load the latest leak 10.2.1.1925 see if that helps.

make sure data services is turned on also
    01-20-14 07:17 AM
    Data Services toggle button in Mobile Network? Yep, that's on. I can go into the damn APN gear and enter stuff but it doesn't stay. BTW, also went into the engineering screen using some google advice. Thought I could put the APN in there directly and do the PS Attach thing. Nope. I enter the APN where I'm supposed to, as soon as I move the cursor away it disappears. Little leery of loading leaks. Actually ,don't know how and all my research doesn't help.
    01-20-14 07:25 AM
    The carrier controls whether you can edit the APN on BB10 devices. This carries hasn't enabled the APN editing, which could just be an oversight if they do not sell BB10 phones.
    01-20-14 07:46 AM
    That's the thing though, I CAN edit, but I guess it doesn't get saved. Spoke to carrier tech support and they said there's no settings they can send me, or do anything to the SIM card. They say I need to edit/add the APN on the handset, but apparently THEY decide if I can or not? What a merry go round! Does this mean no data at all? Go back to my Bold 9900?
    01-20-14 07:58 AM
    That's the thing though, I CAN edit, but I guess it doesn't get saved. Spoke to carrier tech support and they said there's no settings they can send me, or do anything to the SIM card. They say I need to edit/add the APN on the handset, but apparently THEY decide if I can or not? What a merry go round! Does this mean no data at all? Go back to my Bold 9900?
    this same thing happened to me when i first got my z30 STA100-2 model. one of my country's carrier's wouldnt just allow any editing in the apn field, much less saving it. So well i decided to take the plunge and load the all new 10.2.1.1925 leak onto the fon and trust me, I havent regreted since. Plus i can now edit the apn field and even save anything i want in the apn and it works. So what are you waiting for, grab yourself a pc and start downloading and then load the leak. it will fix this problem easily for you and you'll even enjoy your fon better. Thanks
    01-20-14 08:27 AM
    older OS version didnt allow APN settigsn to be saved or was completely greyed out, it was resolved in the newer OS.

loading leaks is easy, if you have anything important make a backup of your phone, download the leak, unzip, double click the file wait 10mins and thats it! when the phone boots up go through the setup screen and your on the latest version. you have nothing to lose id give it a try. you can always revert back to stock OS should u want to.
    01-20-14 08:29 AM
    Thanks guys. Leak time it is. Looks like I need to find a PC though. Doesn't work with OSX. Will update with results as soon as I do it.
    01-20-14 08:31 AM
    Load a leak, leave the sim out for the first install and Setup, and do not restore previous settings from backup. Backups (if you don't already know) can cause a slew of issues with leaks.

Posted via CB10
    jrdba likes this.
    01-21-14 10:20 PM
    Ah man, I JUST got the phone set up with music, settings, apps, folders etc. Don't think I have the patience to do through it again. Isn't the official release of the leak due in 6 days? Might just wait till then and see if the APN thing is sorted. I've got the phone working just the way I want it (without data of course) and it's going to be a PITA to do it again.
    01-22-14 05:46 AM
    True. You may not get the new os depending on the carrier too ,so just something to keep in mind.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 06:11 AM
    Seriously? Is that even possible? A defective SIM eh? Well, no harm. I'll borrow one tomorrow. Galaxy in particular or any other smartphone? Heck, I could just go buy a new prepaid SIM card with a different carrier. It's 2 USD and they come with 90MB of free usage. That's enough to see if it works or not.
    01-22-14 08:28 AM
    Thanks. Shall give it a shot tomorrow and post back here.
    01-22-14 08:41 AM
    Update. It's not the sim. My sim gets data on the other device and a verified data working sim doesn't work in mine. Same carrier.

Next step I'll try a data sim from a different carrier, maybe it has apn settings input already.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 03:57 AM
    Believe it or not over enthusiastic me actually went into escreen already. Didn't realise bricking was a possibility. Same problem. Apn field is blank. I can enter an apn in there but the second I navigate away from the input, poof! Goes blank.

I've got the file downloaded and have access to a pc tomorrow. Might try the leak or just wait a few days for 10.2.1.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-14 11:57 AM
    No luck with the new os either guys.. now I can change the apn settings, it stays saved but still no data. It says true move voice only in the mobile network.

Any basic hints? Restart device, some card remove etc to make it register data use?

Super frustrated at this point.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 08:43 PM
    Is there another carrier you can try this with ?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:00 PM
    I'll grab another sim card today. Just to make sure it's not the phone.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:02 PM
    Did you retry ps attach after reinstall?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 10:51 AM
    No luck with the new os either guys.. now I can change the apn settings, it stays saved but still no data. It says true move voice only in the mobile network.

Any basic hints? Restart device, some card remove etc to make it register data use?

Super frustrated at this point.

Posted via CB10
    If you have already modified the APN and you are certain that it is the correct APN, do a hard reset by pressing the up and down volume buttons at the same time for 10+ seconds. If after the phone reboots you still do not have data but the APN is still correctly set when you check it, the problem is with the carrier or the carrier network. It is possible that you have a device with incorrect frequency bands for that carrier.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 11:18 AM
    Will try both in a bit, the hard reboot and ps attach.

I've got an start 100 2. True move I'm thailand per Google uses the 850 band for 3g (hspa). Looks like it should work no?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 08:08 PM
    Hard boot didn't do anything, still says voice only. Went into escreen. This time the apn I entered in mobile network is in the right field, radio says attached.

Double checked the device. It's an sta 100-2 bought in india factory unlocked.

Apparently these are the bands

"
    BlackBerry Z30 smartphone STA100-2:
    Quad band FD-LTE (1, 3, 7, 8, 20) + MIMO
    Quad band UMTS/HSPA+ (1, 2, 5/6, 8)
    Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE"

In escreen though it says radios on are gsm and wcdma. I thought wcdma was verizon. Will check now what bands true move in Thailand is using for 3g.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 09:24 PM
    True move H has 3g umts service on

"
    ?TrueMove:
    GSM 1800, UMTS 850
    "

That's compatible right ? At this point all I can think of is defective sim or carrier problem.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 09:33 PM
28 12