So it would seem Mr. Chen may not come to market anytime soon with a new all-touch device. I'm very far from "must have the newest whatever device" kind of person; I get something I like and tend to stick with it. With that in mind, I'm wondering if I should pick up spare Z30's while they're available new.

I've already done a screen replacement on one so that's no big deal; I am a little worried instead about catastrophic total destruction of the phone, say like if it got dropped and squashed, goes for a swim, lost, stolen, etc. Would rather have a brand new replacement vs. buying used.

What about battery shelf life? If I get a pair of new ones and they sit in a drawer for a year, never unboxed...what are the chances the battery could suffer during that long period of sitting?

Another downside I can see is if there is a stock blowout later down the road and the price gets even cheaper, but I don't know if I'm willing to bet on it. Even with the huge oversupply of Z10's they still haven't reached "giveaway" prices.

Richard
    11-12-14 09:40 AM
    I've been thinking the same thing; I love my Z30, and if there will be no Z50, maybe I should buy another Z30 while they're still available...

Posted using my BlackBerry Z30.
    11-12-14 09:44 AM
    I would wait for 2015 when an official plan is unveiled that doesn't contain a touch device, before stocking up like it's the end of the world

Posted via CB10 on my Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.821
    11-12-14 09:45 AM
    Waiting for 2015 means missing the end of the $299 sale, though. It just may be the end of the world! I don't look at two as stocking up either, since one gets used in a very rough environment and the other is carried by someone who is really, really drop-prone...

Richard
    11-12-14 09:48 AM
    I will wait if this is really true. Excited!
    chad1276 likes this.
    11-12-14 09:50 AM
    From what John said there will not be no 5" touchscreen coming but he did say that there is going to be a Z3 refresher. What does that mean? I guess an updated more powerful spec'd Z3, i guess same size 5" higher resolution screen more ram etc. I have a Z10 and absolutely love it but my upgrade is coming up next year so I'm curious to see what BlackBerry will unveil.

Looks like there might be a passport size all touchscreen I guess, and those who want a upgraded Z30 will have the Z3 refresher, which will be all touchscreen. I guess that will be my next device, because I want touchscreen and nothing else.

But if you want to go stock up on Z30's go ahead but honestly I would wait. My 2 cents.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 09:54 AM
    Waiting for 2015 means missing the end of the $299 sale, though. It just may be the end of the world! I don't look at two as stocking up either, since one gets used in a very rough environment and the other is carried by someone who is really, really drop-prone...

Richard
    BlackBerry Z30 at $299? Where?

11-12-14 10:04 AM
    Shopblackberry.ca of course!
    11-12-14 10:08 AM
    There will always be a good supply of refurb Z30's. I wouldn't spend the money on stocking up when the chances of a improved replacement are pretty high.
    11-12-14 10:20 AM
    Shopblackberry.ca of course!
    OK, yeah you're right. Both white and black BlackBerry Z30 are available for $299! I wonder for how long though....

11-12-14 10:26 AM
    I bought another Z30 as a spare. At 299 is was a no brainer.
    11-12-14 10:28 AM
    I feel pretty much the same way....Ugh
    11-12-14 10:30 AM
    On shopblackberry.com it seems the Q10 and Z10 are out of stock. I wonder if the Z30 will also be out of stock soon. I'm waiting for the Classic, but I've also thought about getting another Z30.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 10:34 AM
    Those saying "wait and see" on what's coming seem to have not read what Chen said recently about future models. That's the whole reason for my post.

Richard
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    11-12-14 10:44 AM
    Those saying "wait and see" on what's coming seem to have not read what Chen said recently about future models. That's the whole reason for my post.

Richard
    What did he say exactly ? None of what he said suggests that a new high end all touch would never come.

Posted via CB10
    igor10000 likes this.
    11-12-14 10:51 AM
    He said that he is not going to make a 5" phone just because of the 5" screen, meaning that there would be more than just the big screen in the phone if he is going to make it.
    And that is reasonable because BBRY can't compete on the screen size, thus some special, maybe innovative feature, would be needed for a selling point.
    There was not yes or no for the full touch in whatever he said.
    KingOfQwerty likes this.
    11-12-14 11:38 AM
    He said that he is not going to make a 5" phone just because of the 5" screen, meaning that there would be more than just the big screen in the phone if he is going to make it.
    And that is reasonable because BBRY can't compete on the screen size, thus some special, maybe innovative feature, would be needed for a selling point.
    There was not yes or no for the full touch in whatever he said.
    That's what I got from his statement. He didn't say yes or no. But gave reasons on if they do make a one it will be innovative for so and so reasons.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 12:42 PM
    This is driving me crazy! I have the Z10 on Verizon (company phone/free), so I can't get the Passport. My contract is up on 11/28. I assume I will need to get the Z30 to get the larger screen while it is still available. Is it possible the Z3 refresh will be better than the Z30? Anything announced in Q1 of next year will take a while to be released. I don't think I can wait that long. At least the Z30 is a great phone.
    11-12-14 12:51 PM
    I hope Blackberry isn't once again missing the boat. They have some momentum with the Passport and should build upon that. Part of the buzz is 10.3 no doubt as the OS is getting more refined all the time. Just the time saved using the hub and being able to truly multi-task are awesome and highly undervalued. It is more than frustrating using Android and having to back out and re-enter apps. Same with IOS. Both do not multi task and are time consuming to back out and re enter apps. I can't beleive people can stand this! To me, there is a real chance for BB to gain some market share back but only having keyboard devices entrenches the stereotype of BB. A new high end all tough device is needed. Would be great to see 2 - an all touch Passport device and an upgraded fully speced out Z30 replacement. Methinks if they stick to the keyboard phones and not upgrade the touch devices they are, once again, missing the boat.
    tanzarian, Hai Bo, 1raygin and 1 others like this.
    11-12-14 01:16 PM
    What did he say exactly ? None of what he said suggests that a new high end all touch would never come.

Posted via CB10
    "Fewer devices" and no "general purpose" devices, among other things. Considering the stars right now are PassPort and Classic, both keyboard phones - and the Z10/Z30 sales were not good, do you think they'll do another all-touch so soon?

Richard
    11-12-14 01:48 PM
    This thread touches on what I have been pondering over all day.

While I love my Z10, I have had it for a year and a half and am looking for an upgrade before any wear and tear takes it's toll. While the Z30 is essentially a bigger version of the Z10 with some under the hood type improvements (Miracast, FM Radio, USB OTG, etc.), I was wondering, is it worth it to upgrade at this juncture with the fire sale on these for $299?

Can anyone comment or give their opinion on this? What with the announcement that there is a strong potential we won't see another all touch device in 2015 (aside from the Z3 refresh), it makes me feel as though the Z30 is my best option at this point. What do people think about this? To upgrade or not?
    11-12-14 02:24 PM
    My guess is that the phones that come from the Foxconn collaboration will be all touch. That said though I don't believe those phones will ever be state of the art phones in the same vein as the Passport.

I am hoping BlackBerry won't abandon those of us who prefer all touch.
    11-12-14 02:33 PM
    Okay... That's just weird. I had a dream last night that my Z30 got bent and ruined (maybe I was thinking about iPhone's before going to bed?) so when I woke up I thought maybe it was some sign of impending doom to my Z30 so I should buy an extra one now before the sale ends!

And then I notice this thread... Is someone in my head? :-)

Anyways, I'm thinking about it as I do really like my Z30. Having bought, played with, and sold a Passport, the only thing I think I really missed about it was the faster CPU which you really noticed running Android apps. Other than that, I think I prefer the Z30. And I did buy a replacement screen since I have a small scratch on my Z30 so as long as any impending doom to my Z30 is limited to the screen, I should be okay...

But you know, $299 is a really good price to... Decisions, decisions...
    11-12-14 02:44 PM
    I hope Blackberry isn't once again missing the boat. They have some momentum with the Passport and should build upon that. Part of the buzz is 10.3 no doubt as the OS is getting more refined all the time. Just the time saved using the hub and being able to truly multi-task are awesome and highly undervalued. It is more than frustrating using Android and having to back out and re-enter apps. Same with IOS. Both do not multi task and are time consuming to back out and re enter apps. I can't beleive people can stand this! To me, there is a real chance for BB to gain some market share back but only having keyboard devices entrenches the stereotype of BB. A new high end all tough device is needed. Would be great to see 2 - an all touch Passport device and an upgraded fully speced out Z30 replacement. Methinks if they stick to the keyboard phones and not upgrade the touch devices they are, once again, missing the boat.
    ^^^^^^ absolutely this - well said ^^^^^^

Posted via CB10
    11-12-14 03:04 PM
    They are not going to be releasing new devices as fast and as many.
    And there will be all touchy devices coming.

Patience, no panic......
    11-12-14 03:30 PM
120 123 ...