Hi everyone!

Yesterday I unfortunately dropped my Z30 in water. I have kept it in a bowl of rice to remove any moisture and will try turning it on again later today. When I tried turning it on previously, the display showed 'Blackberry' followed by a red battery image with an exclamation. After this the display went blank. Considering the duration of time it was in the water I feel I might have to send it in for repair (if that even works).I am aware the warranty doesn't cover water damage. But, I'm willing to pay to get the device fixed.

I bought the device off Kijiji, its factory unlocked. My question is this, can I contact Blackberry directly to have the device sent in for repair, if so how? I was unable to find any useful information on their support website. Alternatively, will my carrier (Bell) be able to provide repair service? Since I did not purchase the device from them I am unsure of this.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Any advice would be helpful

Thanks!
    06-16-14 10:33 AM
    Why Water Damage Cell Phone Repairs Often Fail « JCD Repair Blog

As to repairs, the Z30 is a very low production device, very few part are available cheaply. But your best bet is too see if there is a local company that does repairs and ask them what they will charge. Usually around $60 for the initial inspection plus part and additional labor.

Give it time and look into different tips and tricks for drying out the device completely... even a small drop in the wrong place will only damage the device more.

Water damage is one PLUS for removable batteries.
    06-16-14 11:13 AM
    Don't buy a BlackBerry next time get a Sony z2 it's waterproof. Lol

My z30 gas been dropped on the floor and water on various occasion and also used in the rain and so far it's still working.

My z30 is probably the best phone I've used so far

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:04 PM
    OP what you did was correct!! But I suggest removing the battery from the device and keeping it separately in the rice, also make sure the rice container is air tight.. most probably you would have to get a new battery if the white sticker indicator on the battery is red!!!

Also when this happened to me I kept the device in rice for a few days.... air tight

Hope it helps...

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 12:48 PM
    The Z30 has a non removable battery..

Posted via CB10
    ProjectBrett likes this.
    06-16-14 01:55 PM
    Wait 24 hours AND than try to power on again

Posted via CB10
    ProjectBrett likes this.
    06-16-14 06:07 PM
    When I try powering it on, 'BlackBerry' shows up on the screen and it turns off.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 06:39 PM
    Leave the battery separately in the rice

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 06:51 PM
    I had this problem. Let me try to find how I fixed it. Took me about a week, but it did come back. Will post again soon.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    06-16-14 06:54 PM
    When I try powering it on, 'BlackBerry' shows up on the screen and it turns off.

Posted via CB10
    Sounds like a dead battery...charge it

Posted via CB10
    irweezyy likes this.
    06-16-14 06:55 PM
    Here goes:

[QUOTE=b121;10351386]My z30 is alive!!!! I tried a different PC and link was able to wake it (after 7 days). I truly can't explain exactly which of the dozens of things I tried actually did the trick, but super relieved! Thank you to all who helped.

My best guess:

- Plugged Z30 with original cable into new PC
    - disconnected my z10 bluetooth and wifi (so not connected to link)
    - held z30 power button to force a restart
    - allowed connection and did NOT allow PC to upgrade link desktop software (that may have messed me up last time... this time it started, but I hit "close" before it completed)
    - eventually, phone got past the "blackberry" screen to the boot up screen without other action by me

Good luck everyone! Now to swap my sim card and redo enterprise activation (after a backup). booyah!"

Please give this a try and see if it helps.

Posted via CB10 (7250 -> 8703e -> 9530 -> 9550 -> 9650 -> 9930 -> PlayBook -> Z10 -> Z30)
    jasperlin likes this.
    06-16-14 06:56 PM
    Thanks for the advice! I'm going to give this a shot a see what happens. Will return when I have an update...

Posted via CB10
    06-16-14 10:47 PM
    Don't be impatient. Dry the phone and stop trying to start it. You have tons of electronics inside that plastic case. A little water and you're gonna fry something.

We call it in the automotive field the black smoke. Once it's out, you can't put it back.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-14 07:33 AM
    I had a user bring me a z30 that had been dropped in an airport toilet. It was dead when I got it but I'm told it continued to work for half an hour before turning off. I had told him to put it in a bag of rice until he returned to work where I could use silica gel. After a week it still was dead but if I held the power button in with a charger connected the screen would show BlackBerry before going dark and powering back off. I let it fully charge, no change. Was going to write it off until I tried connecting it to a PC - at which time I found it was responding to the PC even though it appeared off. I figured reloading the OS might help and in fact it did - fully functional, no lasting damage AFAICT. After sanitizing the only thing wrong is the blue water sensor is tripped.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-14 10:55 PM
    I just got it back from a repair service. They said it can't be fixed. However I'm going to try reloading the OS as you suggested, as my device shows the exact symptoms you described.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-25-14 11:09 AM
    So what was your result

Posted via CB10
    07-08-14 07:25 AM
    A classic was in my swim suit when I helped a young lady launch a sail boat. I took out the battery and dried it in the back window of my car successfully. The second, Z10, did not recover from a jump in the lake to moor a boat. I tried sunshine, rice, and a drying chamber with the battery removed, unsuccessfully. Yesterday, I dropped my Z30 in a pail of water with Lysol cleaner. Again, sunshine in a warmer window and overnight in a rice bath, and it worked (happily).
    08-18-15 03:06 PM
    Phones and being around water is deadly mix especially in a toilet, yikes how you didnt have the runs or something like that I would of just flushed it and got a new one.

Dont shake hands with me if I see ya walking down the hall, lol

Glad it came back alive im sure the phone was mortified being in a bowl of shi t and Pee Pee lol
    08-18-15 03:41 PM
    The Z30 has a non removable battery..

Posted via CB10
    There is a video on YouTube that will show you how to replace the battery on the Z30. So while you are partially right (definitely not a simple swap!), the battery can be replaced (or temporarily removed) by most people without much technical expertise.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-15 07:25 PM
    Glad to hear that you got yours working. I dropped my Z30 in a lake a couple weeks ago (I live in Northern Saskatchewan, there's 100,000+ lakes in Sask, can't seem to avoid them, this isn't the first phone that took a swim). It went to the bottom, I was standing in 2 foot deep or so water. I grabbed it as fast as I can and my brother yanked it from me and out of reflex because we had so many phones take swims, tore the back off and went to pop the battery out. And we both looked at eachother. Forgot the battery wasn't removable. Powered down and put it in front of the vents of my truck when we got back to the dock. Low/Med low heat with the fan on about 1/3 or so. Took out the sim card and memory card then and there was only one small drop of water on the memory card! Waited an hour or two and went to check it and change positions to get airflow around other parts. A few grains of sand fell out of the headphone jack and all of a sudden the phone powered on (it was working in the water initially too, right up until we powered it down in fact). I kept powering it off and it kept going on. After 5 tries I left it to finish booting. It was powering on whether I liked it or not I figured. Worked pretty much fine since. I've noticed the usual that the battery doesn't seem to last as long by a pretty noticeable difference but it's alive. The occasional minor freezing issue. Maybe once. The phone has been dropped I don't know how many times. I had the leather fold over case on it and that helped a lot too but now that it's swam I haven't bothered to put it back on. These phones are surprisingly durable and waterproof. Always loved Blackberry, still do!
    11-04-15 04:00 AM
    Please let me know whats the outcome because I have a blackberry z30 brand new only wifi doesnt work . I will willing to buy your dead motherboard for wifi ic or willing to selling my phone .
    11-04-15 12:34 PM
    The old way replacing broken device.

LeMBIRU

Lempar beli baru.

Posted via CB10 from z30
    11-09-15 10:42 PM
    Actually, remove battery and SIM and then submerge phone in alcohol to force the water out as quickly as possible. See this article: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/put...nd-doesnt-work

Sporting a Z30 STA 100-5/OS version10.3.2.2639, SR 10.3.2.2474
    11-10-15 07:50 AM