I know there have been a LOT of threads before regarding this issue but I just wanted to make sure that someone else reads this and may be able to help.

My Z30 fell into the toilet a few hours ago. I fished it out within a couple of seconds and took it apart by following the directions I found somewhere. I let it dry for a few hours and put it back together.

It powered on but the screen wouldn't respond. I tried plugging it into my laptop through the USB port and it even charges. Also, it's not reading my SIM card and only shows "Emergency Calls Only". I tried using someone else's SIM to check, and it didn't work, too.

I'm going to dunk it into some rice and leave it for a day and also try to make whatever residual moisture is there evaporate by using a hair dryer. Do you think that the screen would need to be replaced? There are no visible damages to it like lines or distorted colors or pixels, it just doesn't respond. I'm sure I replaced the screen connector correctly and I did it twice just to make sure.

My mom bought it in Abu Dhabi and it's not under warranty so I was pretty confident with tearing it apart. If all else fails, I'll have it sent there to be repaired - hopefully.
    03-18-15 04:57 AM
    I know there have been a LOT of threads before regarding this issue but I just wanted to make sure that someone else reads this and may be able to help.

My Z30 fell into the toilet a few hours ago. I fished it out within a couple of seconds and took it apart by following the directions I found somewhere. I let it dry for a few hours and put it back together.

It powered on but the screen wouldn't respond. I tried plugging it into my laptop through the USB port and it even charges. Also, it's not reading my SIM card and only shows "Emergency Calls Only". I tried using someone else's SIM to check, and it didn't work, too.

I'm going to dunk it into some rice and leave it for a day and also try to make whatever residual moisture is there evaporate by using a hair dryer. Do you think that the screen would need to be replaced? There are no visible damages to it like lines or distorted colors or pixels, it just doesn't respond. I'm sure I replaced the screen connector correctly and I did it twice just to make sure.

My mom bought it in Abu Dhabi and it's not under warranty so I was pretty confident with tearing it apart. If all else fails, I'll have it sent there to be repaired - hopefully.
    You should have put it in the bag of rice straight away before attempting to switch the phone back on.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-18-15 05:07 AM
    You should have put it in the bag of rice straight away before attempting to switch the phone back on.
    I was actually at work so it wasn't an option at the time.
    03-18-15 07:51 AM
    Ouch! That is not what they meant when they said your Z30 would work better with a leak...

Good luck!
    91300zx likes this.
    03-18-15 07:55 AM
    Ouch! That is not what they meant when they said your Z30 would work better with a leak...

Good luck!
    Thanks!

-------------

I disassembled it again now that I'm home. I'm letting it dry with a hair dryer on its lowest and coolest setting.
    03-18-15 08:06 AM
    Whenever any of my electronics fall into water/fall in snow I power them off, disassemble(remove the battery if possible), and bag em in rice for 24 hours before even attempting to power them on.

Although you have powered it on while it was most likely still wet on the inside. Hopefully things haven't shorted inside, give it 24 hours in rice disassembled and see how it works after that.

If not maybe time for a new z30.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 08:08 AM
    Whenever any of my electronics fall into water/fall in snow I power them off, disassemble(remove the battery if possible), and bag em in rice for 24 hours before even attempting to power them on.

Although you have powered it on while it was most likely still wet on the inside. Hopefully things haven't shorted inside, give it 24 hours in rice disassembled and see how it works after that.

If not maybe time for a new z30.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I've already submerged it in rice. I didn't see any marks that something shorted - no burn marks or anything charred inside. I do hope that's a good sign, but I'm not an engineer or anything so I dunno.
    03-18-15 08:34 AM
    I was able to revive one that took a similar dive. Take it completely apart.. remove all the ribbon cable connections and blow dry while still in the disassembled state. Pay close attention to the screen and battery connections because these areas are hard to remove all the moisture. I applied a fair amount of heat for about 10-20 minutes then reassembled everything together. Try powering up and if no response from the device use an autoloader and you should be good to go. Worked for me...

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 08:34 AM
    I was able to revive one that took a similar dive. Take it completely apart.. remove all the ribbon cable connections and blow dry while still in the disassembled state. Pay close attention to the screen and battery connections because these areas are hard to remove all the moisture. I applied a fair amount of heat for about 10-20 minutes then reassembled everything together. Try powering up and if no response from the device use an autoloader and you should be good to go. Worked for me...

Posted via CB10
    Thanks.

By "no response", do you mean that the unit didn't turn on? I'll try that tomorrow when I fish it out of its rice cocoon.
    03-18-15 08:41 AM
    Rice mice. Wrap and tie it inside a dry towel, spin dry it, place it in a coffee filter inside a closed jar of non dairy creamer.

While drying the phone, lightly fry your rice with garlic and oil. Add chicken broth and some ginger then boil. Simmer in low heat. Best served with boiled or fried chicken.

There.
    See my post on recovery of a device from accidental "drowning":
    http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que.../#post11222213
    Another reason for a removable battery. Faster response time to remove power to a wet phone.

Good luck
    DaFoxGrey and TrueKulcha like this.
    03-18-15 08:55 AM
    Thanks.

By "no response", do you mean that the unit didn't turn on? I'll try that tomorrow when I fish it out of its rice cocoon.
    Yes I meant that it didn't turn on.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 10:11 AM
    Thanks!

-------------

I disassembled it again now that I'm home. I'm letting it dry with a hair dryer on its lowest and coolest setting.
    The hairdryer might push the water deeper into the phone.

Rice and silica gel bags would be best.

Posted via Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    DaFoxGrey likes this.
    03-18-15 11:00 AM
    The hairdryer might push the water deeper into the phone.

Rice and silica gel bags would be best.

Posted via Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582
    Exactly, anything that "blows" the water can and will "blow" it deeper into the device or into areas that would normally be able to shed the water off, such as in between the LCD and digitizer.
    This always causes more harm than good.

Towel dry the surface, power off or remove battery, pull SIM and SD, then quickly bury it in a desiccant, and don't touch it for four or more days.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    03-18-15 01:48 PM
    Dehumidifier!
    03-18-15 03:10 PM
    Leave it in rice for at least 48 hours - I did this last year with my Q10, took the battery out shoved everything into rice and left for 2 full days (48 hours) in a bowl of rice. I still use it for backup, it still has its double typing problem but other than that there is nothing wrong with it.
    Remember though: Leave it in the rice for at least 48 hours!
    Posted via CB10
    03-18-15 04:23 PM