UPDATE

MY Z30 HAS RESURFACED!!!

AFTER SPENDING 5 DAYS IN RICE, SUCCESS!!! FULL RECOVERY!

THANKS TO HOMART AND ELITE1!!

CHEERS !!

Hi folks,

So the unimaginable has happened! My Z30 was submersed by accident (no need to get into details! not pretty! I leave it to your imagination! LOL!)

So upon retrieving it, 5 secs max submerged, it was functioning perfectly. This happened at 1pm in the afternoon. It worked perfectly till about 9pm, emails, calls, txt all was good.

then I reached home around 11pm and realized the phone function had the phone sign with the exclamation next to it in the upper right hand corner. WiFi was working all is well. At this point I thoughts, it need to be rebooted to reinitialize the hardware and software. It never came back on!

So I removed the back cover and saw some pellets of water a little all over and wipe it clear and removed any residue I could find! I dunked it in a bag of rice after 15 mins and it has been in there for the last 48hrs.

So now, I took it out and hit the power on...the red light came on followed Blackerry sign (word). it then when to a pic of the battery with a thunderbolt across. At this point, I realize since it has been at least 48hrs, the battery would simply be dead. So I plugged it and the light came and then the same sequence, but no battery image.

So I thought, decided to connect it to my pc and see if I could simply reload the phone from scratch. Plugged the phone, launched BB Link and it recognized the phone! Now I am backing up the phone as we speak, but I have no screen at all and no LED blinks or anything else.

Anybody have any ideas how I could revive this baby??
    Last edited by pepe68; 05-21-14 at 10:05 PM.
    05-15-14 05:49 PM
    i would leave it in rice a little longer and let it charge for 2-3 hours and then try again
    05-15-14 05:53 PM
    i would leave it in rice a little longer and let it charge for 2-3 hours and then try again
    Thanks homart, I'm sooo bummed out!! I'm lucky as I had my Z10 as a backup phone, but that battery is a super killer has it doesn't hold the charge as good as the Z30!
    05-15-14 05:57 PM
    So it is backing up though?
    It might be fine in the end...

I'd agree with replacing it in rice again, and putting that somewhere a bit warm. (WARM, not hot!)

If that doesn't work, your next bet is to remove the battery. I don't feel like taking off my case and back cover, but you probably need 1 or 2 sizes of torx screwdrivers. Remove the battery and try the rice again with the phone opened up.

If that still didn't work, next step is to find purest alcohol possible, probably from a pharmacy or medical supply shop. With the battery still removed, use tongs to hold your phone and dunk it fully submersed a few times into some of the alcohol. I know that sounds crazy, but the pure alcohol will drive out any water (or other contaminants) and the alcohol will completely evaporate afterward.
    05-15-14 06:34 PM
    So it is backing up though?
    It might be fine in the end...

I'd agree with replacing it in rice again, and putting that somewhere a bit warm. (WARM, not hot!)

If that doesn't work, your next bet is to remove the battery. I don't feel like taking off my case and back cover, but you probably need 1 or 2 sizes of torx screwdrivers. Remove the battery and try the rice again with the phone opened up.

If that still didn't work, next step is to find purest alcohol possible, probably from a pharmacy or medical supply shop. With the battery still removed, use tongs to hold your phone and dunk it fully submersed a few times into some of the alcohol. I know that sounds crazy, but the pure alcohol will drive out any water (or other contaminants) and the alcohol will completely evaporate afterward.

Thanks Elite!

I dumped it back in the in the rice earlier. I will leave till Sunday night and see if we can get this baby to work. If not, I will have to take out the Smartphone Tool Box and crack this baby open and will proceed with you recommendation, hesitant and nervously! But in the end, if it is really dead, I have nothing to loose but another $500!

Thanks Again!
    05-15-14 09:14 PM
    Maybe they should Reconsider the NON removeable battery idea when it comes to Dropping the phone in Any type of water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-16-14 07:08 AM
    Might I suggest never bringing your phone to the toilet with you?

lol j/k
    05-16-14 10:02 AM
    Might I suggest never bringing your phone to the toilet with you?

lol j/k
    Expensive lesson! lol!

Posted via CB10
    anon(1035135) likes this.
    05-16-14 01:39 PM
    Maybe they should Reconsider the NON removeable battery idea when it comes to Dropping the phone in Any type of water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    I agree!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:39 PM
    Nobody should ever try to use a phone directly after it has been submerged by water. Most people learn it the hard way, even if it has been mentioned a gazillion times on this forum.

Bury it in rice for at the very least a day, ideally more. As mentioned before, removing the battery can also help.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    05-16-14 01:49 PM
    Just had a client last week drop his Z10 in the toilet when changing a light bulb in the bathroom. It was in an Otterbox and came off the belt clip. He did the rice thing, but also baked it in an oven with the rice and now it works, but he said the screen looks a little funny.

What's bad is that he just bought the Z10 used and switched from an iPhone 5. He loves the Z10.
    05-16-14 01:54 PM
    if you ever drop the phone in water you are suppose to turn it off right away not assume it is ok if it is functioning. I guess put it in a bag of rice and hope for the best man . good luck
    05-16-14 03:15 PM
    It sure would be nice if they made smart phones water resistant or even water proof.

Would save a lot of grief.
    05-16-14 09:40 PM
    They have! Just not BlackBerry, unfortunately...

ZZwiped up on my Z10!
    05-16-14 09:53 PM
    Take the screen and battery off, and soak the motherboard in isopropyl alcohol. Use a soft bristle toothbrush all over the board, and allow to air dry. Reapply thermal paste to the necessary spots, and reassemble.

Contrary to popular belief, rice is an awful desiccant. If you want to put it in a bowl of something, get actual silica gel.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 10:14 PM
    It sure would be nice if they made smart phones water resistant or even water proof.

they do. Hello Galaxy S5\

there are others like the S4 active that are resistant also
    05-16-14 10:22 PM
    Or at least wash your hands before using it.
    05-16-14 10:32 PM
    they do. Hello Galaxy S5\

there are others like the S4 active that are resistant also
    There was a thread here a couple weeks ago where somebody pointed that out, in comparison to the Z30.

Someone replied that "water resistant is something that is NOT needed by anybody."

Cracked me up.
    05-16-14 10:40 PM

You can thank the Japanese for that. Apparently, they're mostly driving and growing that market (so says a buddy of mine who's into Japanese stuff and got a Sony that was water proof several years ago)
    05-16-14 10:56 PM
    I go to the beach often. I have a waterproof/sandproof Z10!...(Yup it's always in a ziplock bag. Screen works right thru the bag!)
    05-16-14 11:04 PM
    Take the screen and battery off, and soak the motherboard in isopropyl alcohol. Use a soft bristle toothbrush all over the board, and allow to air dry. Reapply thermal paste to the necessary spots, and reassemble.

Contrary to popular belief, rice is an awful desiccant. If you want to put it in a bowl of something, get actual silica gel.

Posted via CB10
    Weird that in this part of Asia where rice is available everywhere never use it as dessicant simply because it doesn't do the job. Rice won't have years of shelf life if it absorbs a lot of moisture. Sealing your phone in a bag of popcorn makes better sense.

BBQ10
    05-16-14 11:40 PM
    http://www.liquipel.com/shop/treatment/treat-my-phone/
    Not completely waterproof like the Sony I've been drooling over, but for the price of a high end case, not bad at all.

Q10SQN100-1/10.2.1.2273
    05-17-14 08:45 AM
    Nobody should ever try to use a phone directly after it has been submerged by water. Most people learn it the hard way, even if it has been mentioned a gazillion times on this forum.

Bury it in rice for at the very least a day, ideally more. As mentioned before, removing the battery can also help.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Pretty much this on any device once in the water turn off immediately, remove battery if possible and let it dry for at least 48 hours on the rice. Water can short internal components exactly like static so be careful the next time and good luck.

Posted via z30 STA100-5 the only high end business device on the market
    05-17-14 09:07 AM
    if you ever drop the phone in water you are suppose to turn it off right away not assume it is ok if it is functioning. I guess put it in a bag of rice and hope for the best man . good luck
    Yup, when any electronic device falls in water, assume it won't work, DO NOT TEST IT OUT!!, turn it off asap, remove the battery if possible, and put it in rice for at least 3 days. Most electronics won't break in water if they don't have any electrical current running through it. Corrosion in the long run will sometimes become an issue, but if dried properly, it might not be. The problems occur when someone turns on a wet device and runs electrical currents through the wet components.

Obviously there are some parts that we have problems with water regardless of whether there is current or not, but generally those won't give you issues if the phone is submerged for a very short time in minimal depths of water (deep water has much stronger pressure that will force itself into more protected parts of your phone)

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 09:28 AM
    Weird that in this part of Asia where rice is available everywhere never use it as dessicant simply because it doesn't do the job. Rice won't have years of shelf life if it absorbs a lot of moisture. Sealing your phone in a bag of popcorn makes better sense.

BBQ10
    That may be true, but another benefit of rice is that it won't get into the little crevices of your phones, especially those with hardware keyboards. Popcorn can break apart and become almost dusty which can cause a whole new set of issues. Rice stay together pretty well and will not cause any damage to your phone while trying to fix it.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-14 09:37 AM
31 12