Did your son specify which apps he wanted but couldn't get on the Z30?

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 10:23 PM
    I'm just trying to understand the whole picture. Which social apps weren't working exactly ? Just snapchat ? And before hand you said imessage is also a big deal but Samsung S5 doesn't use that either.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-11-14 10:24 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry doesn't have apps people want. Side loading doesn't count. Truth be told I don't think 10.3 will solve this either unless BlackBerry has a few aces up their sleeve (doubt it).
    As for your son, good for him; he tried the phone, didn't like it, and went to another platform. Don't let the die hards here convince you otherwise... this is a BlackBerry site after all.
    05-11-14 10:41 PM
    Unfortunately BlackBerry doesn't have apps people want. Side loading doesn't count. Truth be told I don't think 10.3 will solve this either unless BlackBerry has a few aces up their sleeve (doubt it).
    As for your son, good for him; he tried the phone, didn't like it, and went to another platform. Don't let the die hards here convince you otherwise... this is a BlackBerry site after all.
    None of us are crying that he dropped his Z30. We're trying to understand what the real issue is and how some people manage to have all their social apps on BB10 covered.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    05-11-14 10:58 PM
    Interesting observation. Just turned 21 last month and there's maybe 3 people I've seen in my age group with a bb10 device. Mind you, I'm a fan BlackBerry and have been for a while but I was also once a huge Apple fan (going back to the iPhone 3G/3Gs days).

I do however understand his reasoning behind not wanting to keep the phone. You don't understand how many times I've had friends s**t on me for still using a blackberry. Almost all are iSheeps with a select DROID users here and there. I don't pay attention to it because I know trying to convince them is a lost cause; even though my phone would run circles around theirs. Sad I know, but at the end if the day, the teenage demographic caters to trends. I remember when blackberries were "trendy" back when I was in high school. Now it's apple, maybe even android now .

My little sister (14 y/o) just recently broke her iPhone 4s. Even though she used my mom's z10 for a while, when we asked her what phone she wanted, she said an iPhone 5C. I asked her why, and she said "cuz all my friends have it". My point? If blackberry wants to be a contender in the smartphone industry again, they need to appeal to the teenage demographic. They need to be trendy once more.
    Last edited by coldfir3; 05-12-14 at 12:57 AM.
    Gooseberry Falls and gebco like this.
    05-12-14 12:39 AM
    What apps did he need he couldn't find? He could always port over android apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 03:15 PM
    Problem with Android port, they don't work well. I like my fitness wearables (Misfit Shine, Up24, Garmin VivoFit)... None of the Android port work to sync data from the wearables to the Z30.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    05-12-14 07:58 PM
    Interesting observation. Just turned 21 last month and there's maybe 3 people I've seen in my age group with a bb10 device. Mind you, I'm a fan BlackBerry and have been for a while but I was also once a huge Apple fan (going back to the iPhone 3G/3Gs days).

I do however understand his reasoning behind not wanting to keep the phone. You don't understand how many times I've had friends s**t on me for still using a blackberry. Almost all are iSheeps with a select DROID users here and there. I don't pay attention to it because I know trying to convince them is a lost cause; even though my phone would run circles around theirs. Sad I know, but at the end if the day, the teenage demographic caters to trends. I remember when blackberries were "trendy" back when I was in high school. Now it's apple, maybe even android now .

My little sister (14 y/o) just recently broke her iPhone 4s. Even though she used my mom's z10 for a while, when we asked her what phone she wanted, she said an iPhone 5C. I asked her why, and she said "cuz all my friends have it". My point? If blackberry wants to be a contender in the smartphone industry again, they need to appeal to the teenage demographic. They need to be trendy once more.
    Awww. The experiment is over? I thought it might end up the son converting everyone else. Did he show off the features of BB10 or just feel ashamed having to use it in front of his iFriends? It is really not the teenage demographic but everyone that is not a tech enthusiast. Hardware/software specs do not drive most people to buy a phone. It is word of mouth and right now that is Apple and Samsung. Honestly, I don't know how BBRY can change this perception and I think it has to be with BB10 users convincing others.
    05-13-14 10:23 AM
    I keep going back and forth between the IP5 and a Z10 or Q10. (soon a Z30). I'm 29 and I've had every iPhone as it has come out and every Nexus device. When BB10 came out I was excited to go back to a Blackberry because throughout the years I was never satisfied with any of the Android or Apple offerings. 9-10 friends have iPhones and the odd man out has the new HTC One (M8). I cannot go more than a week on iOS without the hub. I use Twitter and Instagram when I'm bored otherwise my phone is a communication device. (FWIW I am a mechanic) I love being able to swipe up and see what new e-mail, bbm, sms, or whatever notification has come up. I use my IP5 as an iPod now because that device nailed it as far as entertainment goes. I get more done now because I am no longer a slave looking down at my screen. Each of the 3 OS companies do some things very well. It's interesting to see how people prioritize the features unique to each platform. The OP's son's choice makes perfect sense.
    05-13-14 11:13 AM
34 12