Hi,

Im a bit confused with the side middle button... is it the mute button?
    If I press it, it doesnt do anything that I can see... Coming from an iPhone I thought this button would do the same as the mute/silent button does on the iPhone, and you get a silent icon on the screen when its on.. I dont see anything on the Z30...
    also... is it just me or there is no status bar (battery, time, network...) when you are on a webpage or browser? I dont see any setting to turn this on and Id like to see this info everywhere on the phone.

I have downloaded some apps from android market and most of them ask access to contacts, device identifying info , I didnt continue with the install because I dont see why these apps would need access to my phone like that... is this just an Android thing??

thanks !
    08-25-14 01:38 PM
    The side button it's a mute button, it also can work as a voice assistant button and a play/pause button; the status bar is on top but the apps cover it you can swipe from the bottom to see it.

As for Android apps, that depends on the app if you feel it doesn't need those permissions then don't install it, in BlackBerry native apps you can selectively say what permissions you allow.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 01:47 PM
    The side button it's a mute button, it also can work as a voice assistant button and a play/pause button
    ok but how do I know the mute button is activated when I don’t see any symbol on my screen? the button is very sensitive
    08-25-14 01:56 PM
    Dude, if you want iOS things, because you miss things like status bar on the top in every app, back to iPhone... It's not an another iPhone but BlackBerry OS! Another company, with a different OS, not the copy of Android and iOS. Think different, there is a world over this two OS...

Have a nice day!
    08-25-14 01:58 PM
    ok but how do I know the mute button is activated when I dont see any symbol on my screen? the button is very sensitive
    If there's no sound playing then the button won't mute anything, if you want to mute the notifications then you have to do it from quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    tinkerbella11 likes this.
    08-25-14 02:18 PM
    If there's no sound playing then the button won't mute anything, if you want to mute the notifications then you have to do it from quick settings.

Posted via CB10
    Oh I see .... Thank you !
    08-25-14 02:36 PM
    The middle button does not put the phone into silent mode if that is what you mean.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 02:53 PM
    That's what I thought it did. Besides the voice control, what does it do then? And how do I put the phone in silent mode?
    08-25-14 03:23 PM
    To put your phone on silent drag down from the top and use the tab where is says notifications. If you touch the symbol it will change to vibrate only. Voice control can be used to send text BBM email messages setting alarms. It will get better when the 10.3.1 update comes out.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 06:03 PM
    Settings > main volume to change the behavior of the media keys

they either always adjust media volume
    Or
    only adjust media volume when media is available, otherwise will adjust notification volume (once you hit 0 it will turn of vibrate, silent or your previous selected profile)
    08-25-14 07:10 PM
    Like mentioned above, it depends on your settings what you make these media keys do. Settings > Main Volume. If you want to adjust notification volume with them when media isnt playing you can turn that toggle off.

Either way, its more of a "play/pause" button rather than "mute". When you watch a video or play a song, pressing that middle button will pause it. Pressing it again will resume playing it. Whenever you have media actively playing, from anywhere in the OS you can press that button to pause it. If it were a "mute" button then that media would continue to play in the background with no volume. But thats not how it works.

If you long press this button, then you will bring up the Voice control. For now its nothing special, you can do basic searches and commands, but in a few months it will be vastly enhanced with the OS10.3.1 update. This will be your equivalent to Siri.

As for the status bar - BB10 has gone a different route where they utilize the entire screen for any open app. It looks less cluttered and gives apps a "cinematic" feel. Whenever you want to see your battery%, signal status, or notifications, start to swipe up from the bottom of your screen. Keep your finger on your screen and once you have absorbed the info you want (notifications, battery or signal) you can motion your finger back down and you're back in your app, easy peasy. If you see a notification that you want more info on, you move your upward swipe to the right (picture an upside down "L" motion) and you can peak into your hub for more details. Again you can reverse that motion to get back into the app, or release your finger to jump into the hub. This implementation is actually quite brilliant because it saves screen space for the 95% of the time you don't need to see your status bar and you don't actually have to exit your app either.

Like others have said, to put your phone on silent, you will need to utilize "quick settings" by swiping down from the top of your homescreen. You can then change your "Notifications" by tapping on the little square bell next to the word. If you tap on the rectangle with the word "notifcations", you will open up your notifications settings. This is how a lot of the quick settings work: the square toggles it on or off, the rectangle with the word (e.g. Bluetooth, NFC) will open the respective settings.

Posted via CB10
    08-25-14 07:53 PM